Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:06:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 [292] 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:10:44 PM

Everytime you get a pump the bears will short it to death. This revolution may not be cheap.

Correct. For the bears. You are too new to remember  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:31:27 PM

We can just move to Bittrex for the time being.  It will be fun when XMR will become the top traded coins there. Remember when the fudders were sayin poloniex was a fake exchange with fake volume ?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:37:04 PM

I was unaware of increased withdrawal fees as of the 20th. I guess I'm going to withdraw all my Moneroj as I won't be selling any time soon.

This should be standard operating procedure.  Two words:  Mt. Gox.

Did you notice my "personal text" under my activity?  

Not sure what that is... but my comment was not meant as a criticism in any way... just a reminder and encouragement to us all.  Leaving crypto on exchanges is risky.  When we know were are not trading...  we should always be pulling it off.

Does it seem familiar now? Smiley

It is a very valuable fog we wander around in here, now in the present.

I did not take your post as criticism but as good advice like always.  I first experienced you on a different forum where your posting was also excellent.

nioc
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:42:58 PM

To those asking where is my GUI,

Nobody is more computer illiterate than I, but with motivation due to my belief in the project and help from the community, I set up Monero and have been using the command line wallet with no issues.  I have a node running on my anemic machine as I type this.

nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 02:43:35 PM

Instead of dwelling in misery after the inevitability, how about thinking theoretically, how the private exchange can continue? Smiley What ways to arrange a functional marketplace are available?

- Decentralized exchange
- Decentralized and trustless blockchain exchange between cryptos
- Exchange in a freer jurisdiction
- Bulleting board with a thought-out trust/escrow system
- Market-making exchange (Silverbank)
- Decentralized network of individual market makers (Localbitcoins)
- Services that make markets on intermediary financial goods (gift cards, miles, credits in paypal)
- Using Crypto Kingdom social exchange platform to conduct trades (exchange moving inside a non-jurisdiction)

If I can think of 8 ways, surely you can add another 8 basic alternatives, and then the community needs to form a taskgroup to pursue the selected one(s) of them.

I liked the busoni/poloniex solution something similar can be found on doooglus and just-dice. basically a trusted yet personally unknow person running a business - the door is open to you Wink
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 03:15:09 PM

We can just move to Bittrex for the time being.  It will be fun when XMR will become the top traded coins there. Remember when the fudders were sayin poloniex was a fake exchange with fake volume ?

Given that Bittrex is also US-based, it will only be a matter of time before a similar situation arises. As with Cryptsy as well. A temp solution but not ideal in the sense of a truly decentralized exchange.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 03:17:16 PM

I was unaware of increased withdrawal fees as of the 20th. I guess I'm going to withdraw all my Moneroj as I won't be selling any time soon.

Febo: how much will withdrawal fees increase tomorrow?
SweetJohnDee: Febo, None, that I know of Smiley

Are you sure there will be increased withdrawal fees?

All i heard was that you will need some more verification to withdraw bigger amounts.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 03:20:32 PM

Time to wine and dine BTC-e.

Business trip to Sofia anyone?  Grin
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 04:30:27 PM

Febo: how much will withdrawal fees increase tomorrow?
SweetJohnDee: Febo, None, that I know of Smiley

Are you sure there will be increased withdrawal fees?

All i heard was that you will need some more verification to withdraw bigger amounts.

Just confused when I wrote that Tongue 
If one doesn't want to provide more info then your withdrawal limits are smaller which could result in multiple withdrawals and therefore more fees.

Obviously not a big deal @ 10 cents for up to $2000 but somehow 0.2 XMR still seems significant.

In other news I'm not getting the withdrawal emails so I haven't been able to complete my withdrawal.  I've never had a problem before. 
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

Instead of dwelling in misery after the inevitability, how about thinking theoretically, how the private exchange can continue? Smiley What ways to arrange a functional marketplace are available?

- Decentralized exchange
- Decentralized and trustless blockchain exchange between cryptos
- Exchange in a freer jurisdiction
- Bulleting board with a thought-out trust/escrow system
- Market-making exchange (Silverbank)
- Decentralized network of individual market makers (Localbitcoins)
- Services that make markets on intermediary financial goods (gift cards, miles, credits in paypal)
- Using Crypto Kingdom social exchange platform to conduct trades (exchange moving inside a non-jurisdiction)

If I can think of 8 ways, surely you can add another 8 basic alternatives, and then the community needs to form a taskgroup to pursue the selected one(s) of them.

I liked the busoni/poloniex solution something similar can be found on doooglus and just-dice. basically a trusted yet personally unknow person running a business - the door is open to you Wink

You - singular? Wink

Yeah, market making on silver, gold, BTC, etc has been my main business since 2006, so at least no need to learn everything the hard way..

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 04:59:32 PM

It's kind of sad to witness that flight... Poloniex has been good to us and all traders for that matter.

Cry

sorry for OT.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
medusa13

Activity: 453

hello world

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:38:06 PM

One caution

Quote from: Poloniex Term of Use
Poloniex aims to reasonably identify each user by cross-checking user data against governmental watch lists such as OFAC, as well as 3rd party identity verification and authentication services. If a user or a user’s transaction is flagged as suspicious through our internal controls, Poloniex will require additional proof of identification from the user and has the right to not permit any trades, deposits, and/or withdrawals until additional and verifiable proof of identity is received and the Compliance Officer has approved the user for use of the Platform.

In other words, if you do business there you are at risk of having your coins held ransom for whatever "additional proof" they want, and also possibly the discretion of their Compliance Officer before giving them back.

What does that mean for services like xmr.to and shapeshift.io, do they have the balls to continue operate?

shapeshift is located in swizerland. they are a registered company with shares, but i do not think they are forced to implement KYC or AML programms soon, since nothing like an MSB rule for crypto companies exists yet. However, US law reaches everywhere sooner or later, take FACTA as an example. Also laws in swizerland regarding foreign money became a lot stricter the past years.
i do not know about xmr.to, but this kind of service could be hosted everywhere, its impossible to control

XMR Monero
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:45:05 PM

Ref: Polo KYC, I just looked at verification and for up to $2000 equivalent/ day, for 'level 1' - all they want is a name and a country.

No verification of name required, no ID requested - so you could even give a false one, it seems.

With your email addy known already - you are effectively traceable to that extent by TPTB anyway.

For most people it's not that scary. 

Don't get me wrong, I am concerned about my privacy, but it's not passport and proof of addy until pretty serious amounts - probably way more than you should have on an exchange anyway.

One caution

Poloniex aims to reasonably identify each user by cross-checking user data against governmental watch lists such as OFAC, as well as 3rd party identity verification and authentication services. If a user or a user’s transaction is flagged as suspicious through our internal controls, Poloniex will require additional proof of identification from the user and has the right to not permit any trades, deposits, and/or withdrawals until additional and verifiable proof of identity is received and the Compliance Officer has approved the user for use of the Platform.

In other words, if you do business there you are at risk of having your coins held ransom for whatever "additional proof" they want, and also possibly the discretion of their Compliance Officer before giving them back.

Yes, Smooth - maybe it is naive, but really... with a 'legit' exchange, it's probably also naive to assume they can go on without KYC forever...

I don't like it, but Polo can't fight it, realistically.

I agree. I was just pointing out that important condition so people are aware of the risk. Again, if you put your coins there, they can be held hostage for whatever "proof of identification" they deem necessary, at any time, with no notice, regardless of amount. The 2000 USD, etc. thresholds specify the minimum amount of documentation they require, not the maximum.

My take on this is that I have zero interest in giving my identity documents to any of the current crypto exchanges or other crypto businesses, and I have never done so, nor do I plan to. Not because I have anything to hide (all of my activities are entirely legal, and my identity isn't even that secret anyway), but because I simply don't trust them to safeguard it. Look at how many have been hacked, have had data breaches, rogue employees, etc. If I put coins there I'm aware I may have to forfeit them, so I act accordingly, mostly by exposure limits. Which is needed anyway given the risk of being hacked or "hacked".
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:56:32 PM

One caution

What does that mean for services like xmr.to and shapeshift.io, do they have the balls to continue operate?

shapeshift is located in swizerland. they are a registered company with shares, but i do not think they are forced to implement KYC or AML programms soon, since nothing like an MSB rule for crypto companies exists yet. However, US law reaches everywhere sooner or later, take FACTA as an example. Also laws in swizerland regarding foreign money became a lot stricter the past years.
i do not know about xmr.to, but this kind of service could be hosted everywhere, its impossible to control

I meant that their business is to buy and sell XMR on poloniex. What will poloniex think of their business, will it rise suspicious transaction flags?
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 06:58:03 PM

One caution

I meant that their business is to buy and sell XMR on poloniex. What will poloniex think of their business, will it rise suspicious transaction flags?

The exchanges they use could be added in/taken out etc. But I don't see why poloniex would think ill of it or anything.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 06:59:47 PM

Can someone talk a bit about lending XMR in Poloniex? What are the risks? Does it worth it? etc...
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:07:11 PM

Can someone talk a bit about lending XMR in Poloniex? What are the risks? Does it worth it? etc...

These are the interest rates people are lending their XMR for - 0.0165%

Collecting Dust  Cheesy
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:13:34 PM

I agree. I was just pointing out that important condition so people are aware of the risk. Again, if you put your coins there, they can be held hostage for whatever "proof of identification" they deem necessary, at any time, with no notice, regardless of amount. The 2000 USD, etc. thresholds specify the minimum amount of documentation they require, not the maximum.

My take on this is that I have zero interest in giving my identity documents to any of the current crypto exchanges or other crypto businesses, and I have never done so, nor do I plan to. Not because I have anything to hide (all of my activities are entirely legal, and my identity isn't even that secret anyway), but because I simply don't trust them to safeguard it. Look at how many have been hacked, have had data breaches, rogue employees, etc. If I put coins there I'm aware I may have to forfeit them, so I act accordingly, mostly by exposure limits. Which is needed anyway given the risk of being hacked or "hacked".

You're right to point it out, I guess I assumed most here would know that any exchange is a risk (of many kinds).

I just feel Polo is a good one, and (granted, perhaps emotionally swayed) wanted to step up for a little balance in case it got a total kicking.

EDIT: To reply to Smooth.

我想要火箭和火车
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 07:15:49 PM

These are the interest rates people are lending their XMR for - 0.0165%

Collecting Dust  Cheesy

Okay. Got my answer Cheesy
xa4

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 07:59:54 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2015, 08:45:30 PM by xa4

My first steps in margin trading and this is my experience so far :

1. I bought a short position. The lending is automatic, meaning I (presumably) got the cheapest rate and the rate varies automatically when cheaper (lower rate) loans are offered e.g. initial BTC XMR lending at 0.0374% and during my position it went automatically down to 0.0365%

2. I offered a BTC loan at 0.045% for 2 days. The fees are accumulating as long as the lender doesn't close his position. 0.045%/day  = ~17% annualized, which isn't bad I think.

What I don't understand is my loan is still active at 0.045% while there are cheaper loans right now ? I'd guess the lender would get those cheaper loans automatically like I  did ?
Pages: « 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 [292] 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: