Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:37:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:46:34 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 10:58:51 PM by kazuki49

Not sure, that's where the bankers try to confuse us i guess...

what is your definition of inflation? Is it rising prices as the effect of an expanding money-supply, or is it just an expanding money-supply, wether some prices are rising or not?

As I understand: disinflation is a slowing rate of rising prices... it's not a slowing rate in expanding the money supply... so monero doesn't have disinflation, monero has a fixed inflation rate (as in can't be adjusted at will).

interesting discussion, but maybe off topic over here...

It is disinflation, if you look at a graph of Monero inflation rate it will look like this (except going negative aka deflation):

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:43:14 AM

Bitcoin Core (meaning the implementation as opposed to the Bitcoin protocol, which has a UXTO set but doesn't require processing it in any particular way) does some special thing with the UXTO which I haven't studied specifically so I can't really comment.

Cryptonote doesn't have a UXTO since any output can be spent any number of times. As such all outputs are equal, and there is no special UXTO collection to become overgrown.

In the original cryptonote implementation they were all stored in memory which is obviously absurd. Monero stores them in a database which means they will need to be accessed from a disk, but any efficient database should be able to do these simple lookups efficiently other than the physical access time. Once Monero becomes heavily used that will likely require an SSD, but it seems with 10 TB SSDs possibly arriving within the next year or so the days of anything non-SSD for general purpose computing are likely numbered. Magnetic disks are the new magtape.

We may at some point impose a maximum age for outputs to be mixable (at which point they can be removed from the UXTO when spent, just like Bitcoin; to avoid losing untracability you would have to respend the outputs back to yourself prior to the deadline, or allow a wallet to do so automatically). That was considered for MRL-0004 but didn't quite make the cut because of some unresolved complications. That would allow nodes to operate with more limited storage, the way Bitcoin currently does. That's somewhat dangerous though (with both protocols) since there is nothing to ensure that a sufficient number of full archive nodes exist or don't become overloaded. At some point it may then become impossible or nearly impossible for new participants to do a full sync. So more work is needed there too (again with both protocols).

This is great!  "No UXTO problem" is a feature important enough to be highlighted in the OP and investor/tech presentations.

Monero is even more awesome than I thought.  Thanks smooth!

Look I don't think this is necessarily something to hype about. It means that our engineering work will have to focus on scaling of the entire output set and not some unspent subset (what bitcoin calls the UXTO). That's not necessarily better, and it could be worse.

But I also think that Bitcoin's focus on optimizing for the UXTO may have been a foolish dead end, since the UXTO can be deliberately bloated by an attacker.

celestio

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:46:27 AM

I agree with you, I meant there won't be 'a' Bitcoin but two networks cannibalizing each other, so it both can be interpreted as the end of Bitcoin as we know it and the emergence of classic Bitcoin and Gavincoin.
I don't follow bitcoin closely ...what is that all about?

this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/37vg8y/is_the_blockstream_company_the_reason_why_4_core/crqbd78

tl;dr Gavin went nuts and want to abandon the current core bitcoin in favor of an obscure build that will allow his 20m blocks, and he is using his power to make sure everyone will follow him.

I do disagree heavily with the route Gavin's taking, largely because then Bitcoin XT will be controlled by only two people, Gavin and Hearn, and that's pretty centralized, IMO. Also because just increasing the blocksize limit isn't solving anything(Still not close enough in the least to scale to VISA levels for example).

Also, I just realized avatars are allowed, would it be ok if I use your avatar, "we love Monero"?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
kazuki49

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:48:56 AM

Also, I just realized avatars are allowed, would it be ok if I use your avatar, "we love Monero"?

absolutely, everyone is free to use it Smiley
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:18:49 AM

We may at some point impose a maximum age for outputs to be mixable (at which point they can be removed from the UXTO when spent, just like Bitcoin; to avoid losing untracability you would have to respend the outputs back to yourself prior to the deadline, or allow a wallet to do so automatically).

Whoa... Seems to me that would very much break some fundamental use-cases for Monero. People probably want to store some wealth privately, for a potentially long time, without any ongoing effort; eg, print a paper key, toss it in a few safe locations, and forget about it. That's been the case for a lot of people who embraced bitcoin as a store-of-value, and I'd guess it is/will-be similar with Monero. Requiring respends obviously breaks that capability.

If the wallet does this automatically for you, the problem is solved right? Check his last sentence. If you don't have to do anything yourself nor access the wallet, this argument can be debunked in my opinion. Smooth, do you have any comment on this perhaps?

If it is offline cold storage then no the wallet couldn't automatically keep the coins fresh (or do anything else). But the original concept shouldn't be mistaken as you needing to put a big flashing sign on your head with your monero address and balance. It just means when you did spent the coins the first spend would need to be mix 0, then after that you or others (no one could tell which) could respend those coins with mixing to reblend them back into the fog of the (then) active blockchain easily enough.

But as I said the obvious implementation has unintended complications so this is not on the agenda right now.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:29:36 AM

We may at some point impose a maximum age for outputs to be mixable (at which point they can be removed from the UXTO when spent, just like Bitcoin; to avoid losing untracability you would have to respend the outputs back to yourself prior to the deadline, or allow a wallet to do so automatically).

Whoa... Seems to me that would very much break some fundamental use-cases for Monero. People probably want to store some wealth privately, for a potentially long time, without any ongoing effort; eg, print a paper key, toss it in a few safe locations, and forget about it. That's been the case for a lot of people who embraced bitcoin as a store-of-value, and I'd guess it is/will-be similar with Monero. Requiring respends obviously breaks that capability.

If the wallet does this automatically for you, the problem is solved right? Check his last sentence. If you don't have to do anything yourself nor access the wallet, this argument can be debunked in my opinion. Smooth, do you have any comment on this perhaps?

If it is offline cold storage then no the wallet couldn't automatically keep the coins fresh (or do anything else). But the original concept shouldn't be mistaken as you needing to put a big flashing sign on your head with your monero address and balance. It just means when you did spent the coins the first spend would need to be mix 0, then after that you or others (no one could tell which) could respend those coins with mixing to reblend them back into the fog of the (then) active blockchain easily enough.

But as I said the obvious implementation has unintended complications so this is not on the agenda right now.

Excellent. So no worse than buying monero on an exchange.   One extra jump and all is well.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:19:11 AM

Well, I hope it doesn't show up on the agenda again at all. One of the most fascinating and versatile aspects of the store-of-value case for any crypto-coin stems from the fact that *only* the tiny piece of key data is required for fully-featured control of the asset. That control becomes less-than fully-featured for Monero if outputs were to lose capabilities over time should the corresponding private keys sit offline for long enough.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Bassica

Activity: 283

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:32:16 PM

Guys, heads up! Hammer formation on the daily. Get ready for another run up.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:44:03 PM

Hard to say if it will go up.
To me it looks it is actually having dead cat rallies with lower peaks.
We might see a break down as well, not necessarily a break up.
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:55:56 PM

Hard to say if it will go up.
To me it looks it is actually having dead cat rallies with lower peaks.
We might see a break down as well, not necessarily a break up.

Yawn...

and stop posting how you were right when one has to assume you have the funds to push the price in the direction you want to underline your "predictions".

See you in the bullpen when it suits you  Kiss

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:21:14 PM

so what exactly happend? i had no time to follow the market today. the previous wall at 0.002 got dumped and a new one showed up?  Grin
shit happens man

i'm pessimistic about a new run up just now, but i also realized not everyone sees the current situation with polo as critical as i do, so everything seems possible.

as always, preferred move would be UP Cool

XMR Monero
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:24:58 PM

so what exactly happend? i had no time to follow the market today. the previous wall at 0.002 got dumped and a new one showed up?  Grin
shit happens man

i'm pessimistic about a new run up just now, but i also realized not everyone sees the current situation with polo as critical as i do, so everything seems possible.

Someone took out the previous wall with a corresponding dump and an enthusiastic Warz appeared and did what he usually does Cheesy

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 07:54:22 PM

so what exactly happend? i had no time to follow the market today. the previous wall at 0.002 got dumped and a new one showed up?  Grin
shit happens man

I am also pessimistic about the bull run currently.
Also it is a scary fact that there is 29 000 xmr on sidelines waiting to be shorted and dumped + there are additional 20 000 xmr on the sell order book, that is 49 000 XMR can potentially be dumped any time.

And while some of the shorters are closing their short positions at profit, the lenders are ready to offer their coins to new shorter and that potentially might create actually pretty vicious cycle for the price.  Cry

To me this pump looks simply like the big holders want to sell their coins and therefore they are pumping the price up and after they have sold, they will remove the buy walls or dump into their own buy walls.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 09:02:11 PM

so what exactly happend? i had no time to follow the market today. the previous wall at 0.002 got dumped and a new one showed up?  Grin
shit happens man

I am also pessimistic about the bull run currently.
Also it is a scary fact that there is 29 000 xmr on sidelines waiting to be shorted and dumped + there are additional 20 000 xmr on the sell order book, that is 49 000 XMR can potentially be dumped any time.

And while some of the shorters are closing their short positions at profit, the lenders are ready to offer their coins to new shorter and that potentially might create actually pretty vicious cycle for the price.  Cry

To me this pump looks simply like the big holders want to sell their coins and therefore they are pumping the price up and after they have sold, they will remove the buy walls or dump into their own buy walls.

The rates imply that the demand for shorting currently is quite low. That 10k offer has been there since the introducement of margin trading on poloniex. I think you're a bit paranoid here, there is also enough BTC on the ask side to dump it to zero, so that argument isn't really viable.

At your last sentence: Could also be the case that they genuinely want to buy. You are stating this as a fact, while de facto we will never know what the real reason behind these walls is.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 09:12:25 PM

I bet most of those 29000 XMR are from longtime holders, at least 2k are from me which I offered when Poloniex introduced margin trading and they're sitting there.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 09:40:41 PM

I bet most of those 29000 XMR are from longtime holders, at least 2k are from me which I offered when Poloniex introduced margin trading and they're sitting there.

What's the reason for this? The rate you get is pretty negligible in comparison with the counterparty risk. Furthermore, it gives dumpers/shorters some additional liquidity. My conclusion is that those XMR would be better suited for an actual wallet.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 09:47:39 PM

What's the reason for this? The rate you get is pretty negligible in comparison with the counterparty risk. Furthermore, it gives dumpers/shorters some additional liquidity. My conclusion is that those XMR would be better suited for an actual wallet.

I don't know if it suits better for a wallet; but it could certainly move the price up (or down) significantly. I personally don't go on margin trading, too much of a risk for my taste.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:26:03 PM

Was just to test the feature and I had put most XMR at high rates so someone had to loan the whole book, will be removing the funds from lending tho.

I might use some or all of it on a margin long the coming days, todays dump didn't have much effect and the bid side is building up nicely again.
kazuki49

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 11:44:16 PM

Was just to test the feature and I had put most XMR at high rates so someone had to loan the whole book, will be removing the funds from lending tho.

I might use some or all of it on a margin long the coming days, todays dump didn't have much effect and the bid side is building up nicely again.

I love buying Monero, just put your buy walls and when you are not looking it will be dumped on, but when you are back there will be even more BTC than before on the buy side Grin
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 11:49:31 PM

I want dumpers/shorters to have all the liquidity in the world.

1. Cheaper/easier Monero for me and my miners!

2. They will eventually get caught short and epic squeezes will take us in the direction of a certain very large well-known mass orbiting the earth.

3. Pumping is discouraged.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: