Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:50:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312375 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:12:31 AM

This is compared to if CKG or moneritos was really pegged to XMR, ie. there's a way to trade it back from the king/devs, then X can pretty much stay constant (minus a % fee for the developers), then your property/CKG/moneritos etc will be able to keep their value.

If you weren't aware, moneritos are pegged to XRM; 1 XRM = 1,000,000 moneritos. The price of gold in-game is fluctuating all the time. If you were to buy gold in-game with your in-game assets, you could then transfer it out of the game into monero. 
They're pegged one-way, which is meaningless. You can't trade out your moneritos.

It's like a game where say a cash shop item costs $15, so the dev says it's worth $15, and proceeds to create 100,000,000 of them, and then says his account is now worth $1.5 Billion.

No one has said anything is worth $1.5 billion so you are trolling here.

There's no moneritos in the game that are created out of thin air afaik.

Are you serious? After everything I've typed, all you can do is ad hominem and red herring? Dude, I said it's LIKE A GAME, that's an example, an example to show a point. I didn't say someone claimed this particular game is worth 1.5 billion.

Seriously, it's unnatural how you guys are pretending not to understand this. It's really suspicious. I'm done explaining, I think any intelligent person can make their own decision on this. Unless you guys come up with genuine reasons and points where I am wrong, instead of using obvious red herrings and ad hominem, I'm done.

I wasn't trying to attack you just understand what you are saying. Can you explain better?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:22:41 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 04:34:15 AM by TrueCryptonaire

Moderate to low.

wow smooth. really? why do you say that? is the project not worthy? or do you just have little to no trust in the market? do you think something better will surpass both of us? or do you think no one will ever catch on to drk and it will become the privacy centric altcoin that everyone uses on the dark market? if that than do you think there are flaws in it that will allow everyone's identity to be uncovered some day?

a lot of elaboration on this comment would be nice.

You got him in a good mood, last time he said it will all go to zero Cheesy

I guess hes right now that i think about it. I told my mom to invest in bitcoin back in 2011 and she didnt listen. I told her then that it probably would go to 0 but that the expected roi was posative, sort of like a lottery ticket for smart people. I told her again with nxt and she didnt listen again. I was right about both. I told her that this was her third opportunity, and i told her again that it probably would go to 0 but had a positive expected return on investment.

it probably wont succeed for a million reasons. but im still convinced it has a very strong posative expected ROI despite this fact. And of course, it goes without saying, it deserves to succeed. good thing im a gambling man. i want to be wealthy so badly.

Thank you for words of encouragement.
The way we can do larger adoption than DRK is to bring it to the hands that are not involved into crypto. This brings fresh cash to the markets and probably those people are for the long haul since often they may not even own a computer(!!!!).

I guess you could convince your mother to invest only a small amount (like 100-1000 usd). This probably will not hurt her if she loses it completely.

i went ahead and made her a wallet, wrote the mnemonic on a piece of paper, gave her the piece of paper, and told her to hand me cash any time she liked and i would convert it and put it on that key. interested to see if she ever decides to hand me that cash. she makes a lot of money but spreads her self so thin. im not hopeful.

I see... After all, for these type of people 100-1000 usd means probably only a few dinners left out and taking own food to workplace instead a few times. There are indeed people who are not that good in saving money. Usually the bigger income the bigger expenses, so in order to become wealthy one need to pay special attention to costs.
This certainly has better Expected value than the most lotteries/raffles.

------

Monero's current trend however feels more comfortable. It is bullish but not bubblish. After all, this type of trendline, if it lasts long before breakout, leads to high breakout.
At some point people realize finally Monero is slowly slowly trending upwards, they start to buying into the coin leading even larger rise and finally the gamblers enters to market saying, I will make money by buying the coin now and selling it tomorrow for 50-60 % higher. That's the right time to sell when the gamblers enter to the market IMO.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:32:11 AM

I sent my mom some bitcoin in early 2013, she enjoyed the run.

Now she asks me, "is Monero better than Bitcoin?"

Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:34:51 AM

I'd say yes, by an order of magnitude, if only you guys had an official GUI and I didn't have to load the blockchain into RAM.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:41:27 AM

I'd say yes, by an order of magnitude, if only you guys had an official GUI and I didn't have to load the blockchain into RAM.

I guess (official) GUI is quite triviality.
If I am not mistaken, there are some GUIs already so it is easy just nominate one of them to be GUI.
Also I enjoy Mymonero.com... It is most likely safer than a wallet in own computer since hard drives break sometimes.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:42:28 AM

I also emailed everyone I (personally) know about Monero in November when MyMonero launched. Offered them free monero if they signed up but nobody did it. Now I followed up again the other day, and this is the only response I got. (from a a smart professional person)

Code:
"I'm moving to the desert to do drugs and leaving all technology behind."

Monero is still a difficult pitch for the average person that doesn't care about privacy, doesn't use bitcoin yet, etc.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:52:47 AM

I also emailed everyone I (personally) know about Monero in November when MyMonero launched. Offered them free monero if they signed up but nobody did it. Now I followed up again the other day, and this is the only response I got. (from a a smart professional person)

Code:

Monero is still a difficult pitch for the average person that doesn't care about privacy, doesn't use bitcoin yet, etc.

Investors are needed for Monero.
I am convinced in the world exists money enough to buy up the Monero and rise the marketcap significiantly. The problem is to find those people.
A good way to make money is to try to find local rich people's contact details and start contacting them (not explaining things in technical jargon but in the language of average Joe), then find the right people and sell them coins with markup which is your salary.
You might get nice hourly wage in this way by the way. Just tell them you are not accepting less than 30 000 usd investments per person.  Grin
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 04:59:02 AM

Code:

It may be a hard sell until the internet of things is in full swing--then it becomes a choice of do you want your drones publicly or privately funded? Monero may be only an iteration towards quantum money (with perhaps zero cash in between), but it seems a necessary one if you want iot to work fluidly--the last thing most people want is theft drones intercepting their stuff because they glean info off of a public blockchain.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 05:08:04 AM

Code:

I am convinced in the world exists money enough to buy up the Monero and rise the marketcap significiantly. The problem is to find those people.
A good way to make money is to try to find local rich people's contact details and start contacting them (not explaining things in technical jargon but in the language of average Joe), then find the right people and sell them coins with markup which is your salary.
You might get nice hourly wage in this way by the way. Just tell them you are not accepting less than 30 000 usd investments per person.  Grin

This is kind of a morally depraved way of going out about this, just because it reeks of solicitation, an ugly situation to put someone in.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 05:12:24 AM

Code:

You might get nice hourly wage in this way by the way. Just tell them you are not accepting less than 30 000 usd investments per person.  Grin

This is kind of a morally depraved way of going out about this.

I hope no one is doing this. It's a technology not snake oil.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:16:32 AM

Code:

You might get nice hourly wage in this way by the way. Just tell them you are not accepting less than 30 000 usd investments per person.  Grin

This is kind of a morally depraved way of going out about this, just because it reeks of solicitation, an ugly situation to put someone in.

If and only if you are dealing exclusively with sophisticated investors then I don't see a problem with it.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:18:42 AM

If and only if you are dealing exclusively with sophisticated investors then I don't see a problem with it.

Isn't this basically what Rpietilla does with his whale pod?
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 05:19:31 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 05:31:34 AM by vokain

Ever have a neighborhood kid come by and solicit you to buy shitty knives or chocolates of some company in the name of supporting whatever sympathizable cause? ...similar feeling, but good luck having the same appeal when you're some middle aged dude cold calling a stranger

And it's just an invasion of privacy unless these people are in some contact list they agree to be in for such solicitations.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:22:55 AM

an ugly situation to put someone in.

Have you heard of Monero? It's the situation of a lifetime, Mister.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 05:25:52 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 06:08:44 AM by vokain

an ugly situation to put someone in.

Have you heard of Monero? It's the situation of a lifetime, Mister.

Depends how you go about it. Good intentions pave the road to hell, is all. You can't guarantee Monero's outcome, or even someone's own outcome with Monero (e.g. lost wallet).
And this is if you're genuine about the technology and philosophy.

But if you're like TrueCryptonaire here, it sounds like he/she just wants sheep to fleece.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:31:12 AM

We need the glengarry leads. We need the good leads!

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:33:29 AM

We need the glengarry leads. We need the good leads!

It takes BRASS BALLS to sell Monero!

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 06:07:19 AM

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which XMR goes to zero.  I find it difficult to imagine a situation in which XMR sees a dip below 0.0014 for more than a few hours (dumping case) or days (major technical issue case), for that matter.  Not just now, but forever.  What do you imagine that could do it, short of a full-on criminalization of the technology?  Any technical issue will be fixed in short order, if not by core, then by others.  Even full-on criminalization will be a short-term hurdle, when I2P integration is effective.  To say it probably will go to zero seems ludicrous to me.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 06:23:48 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 06:34:43 AM by smooth

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which XMR goes to zero.  I find it difficult to imagine a situation in which XMR sees a dip below 0.0014 for more than a few hours (dumping case) or days (major technical issue case), for that matter.  Not just now, but forever.  What do you imagine that could do it, short of a full-on criminalization of the technology?  Any technical issue will be fixed in short order, if not by core, then by others.  Even full-on criminalization will be a short-term hurdle, when I2P integration is effective.  To say it probably will go to zero seems ludicrous to me.

I don't imagine an instant collapse. More likely is a slow slide to zero as it goes nowhere, largely due to market as opposed to technical factors. This could include failure to achieve critical mass at a time when the market perceives this to no longer be plausible, leading to a downward spiral of liquidity and capitalization.

There also could be some partial instant collapses, such as the release of a coin based on zerocash or a Bitcoin ring signature sidechain.

Possible reasons:

1. Bitcoin-style cryptocurrency not seen as useful (enough) by the market. Leads to same sort of downward liquidity spiral as above, but for the entire cryptocoin universe (except maybe other platform concepts such as Ripple, fiatcoin, etc.).

2. Private cryptocurrency is not seen as useful by the market. Ditto.

3. Bitcoin is perceived private enough or becomes more private (incl. sidechain)

4. Zerocoin is perceived as trusted enough (both in terms of setup and cryptographic maturity)

5. Dark/dash is perceived as private enough (and/or is improved). Requires Dark/dash to also not collapse into a financial smoldering wreckage, or other non-privacy-related failure.

6. An unknown black swan technology replaces Bitcoin, and is perceived as private enough or has a private version.

7. An unknown black swan technology replaces Monero's ring sigs, etc., and is perceived as private enough or has a private version. Monroe does not adopt/adapt, or fails to do so quickly enough.

I'm sure there are more.

But overall, I'm fairly convinced that failure to "take off" at some point will lead to the liquidity implosion into irrelevance (maybe not literally zero for very long time, but eventually that).
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 07:20:47 AM

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which XMR goes to zero.  I find it difficult to imagine a situation in which XMR sees a dip below 0.0014 for more than a few hours (dumping case) or days (major technical issue case), for that matter.  Not just now, but forever.  What do you imagine that could do it, short of a full-on criminalization of the technology?  Any technical issue will be fixed in short order, if not by core, then by others.  Even full-on criminalization will be a short-term hurdle, when I2P integration is effective.  To say it probably will go to zero seems ludicrous to me.

Most cryptos if not all will go to zero eventually. Will monero be one of the MAYBE 2-3 that survive? Possibly.
It's better to think this way than be blinded like some of the other coin fans(you know who I mean) that today think they are taking over the world.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Pages: « 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: