Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:00:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312592 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Gladimor
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 09:53:52 PM

I'll just leave this here one more time...

Nearly none of the miners mining MONERO are dumping.

Do you know why? It is because it is:
1. Unprofitable to dump (Electricity costs > Mining revenue)
2. If free electricity, they could just mine WhirlpoolX algo coins and make 40% more money.
3. People that are mining Monero are mining one of the least profitable coins to mine.

Miner inflation is non-existent. Another +1 for Monero.

Mining since 2014
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:02:22 PM

2. If free electricity, they could just mine WhirlpoolX algo coins and make 40% more money.
3. People that are mining Monero are mining one of the least profitable coins to mine.

This doesn't make any sense.
Why are someone bothering to mine at loss?
My advice for any miner mining Monero at loss is to find a coin they can mine with profit, dump that coin and buy Monero instead. This strategy brings more Moneros for this particular miner.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:07:40 PM

My advice for any miner mining Monero at loss is to find a coin they can mine with profit, dump that coin and buy Monero instead. This strategy brings more Moneros for this particular miner.

Probably because they believe in the future of Monero (and thus a higher price), it's basically the same many Bitcoin miners did in the past and even currently.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:09:05 PM

Maybe because they believe in the future of Monero (and thus a higher price), it's basically the same many Bitcoin miners did in the past and even currently.

But that doesn't make any sense.
Still, if you believe in the coin but mining is done at loss, then mine more profitable coins that you can convert into a coin you believe in. You end up getting more coins that you believe in than by mining it.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:16:08 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 11:30:17 PM by smooth

Maybe because they believe in the future of Monero (and thus a higher price), it's basically the same many Bitcoin miners did in the past and even currently.

Still, if you believe in the coin but mining is done at loss, then mine more profitable coins that you can convert into a coin you believe in. You end up getting more coins that you believe in than by mining it.

A lot of the supposedly more profitable coins are small in size and subject to a lot of churn. If you want to minimize your time investment it may not be worth it to keep up with hot profitable coins to mine and just stick with one or a small number.

But really I don't know who is mining at a loss or why. I've mined over the years and when it turned into a loss and I didn't feel like putting the effort into finding something else to mine I just turned the miners off waited it out or sold the equipment. But to each his own. Some people have fun with it and don't treat it as being strictly bottom line oriented.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:43:56 PM

If it dumps briefly as low as 0.0016 I will support the price. I have some coins in storage waiting from the heavenly rain.
I think there is not real dumping at 4 usd.
I do not recommend selling any coins before there is massive adaption from noobs that needs coins. We are holding coins for them so when they enter to the markets, I am ready to sell 10-20 xmr to them.  Wink

That's some strong bullish signal right there, TrueCryptonaire gave up waiting XMR fall into his arms at 0.0005  Shocked  Cheesy

After all we were pretty close - sub 0.001.
If it had touched 0.0005 I would have scooped up some nice number of coins right there.
Meanwhile I bought silently on the way down. It was crazy and I felt pretty bad so I did not buy any significiant number of coins at each price point.
Nobody seemed to be interested in Monero and it was close to graveyard. I remember reading Warz desperate comments on Polo trollbox while the price kept dropping like a falling knife.

I was also trying to do my best to fear mongering - I wanted so badly the coin to drop to 0.0005. I guess I failed my mission.  Cry  Grin
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:50:08 PM

A lot of the supposedly more profitable coins are small in size and subject to a lot of churn. If you want to minimize your time investment it may not be worth it to keep up with hot profitable coins to mine and just stick with one or a small number.

But really I don't know who is mining at a loss or why. I've mined over the years and when it turned into a loss and I didn't feel like putting the effort into finding something else to mine I just turned the miners off and sold the and waited or sold the equipment. But to each his own. Some people have fun with it and don't treat it as being strictly bottom line oriented.

Mining should adjust to the price fluctuation so that it is at least break even thing to do.

Is it true that Monero is mined by botnets mainly?
For me it is irrelevant who is miner - I am not mining, I am buying it with hard currency so it doesn't play any role to whom I pay for my coins.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 10:54:37 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 11:06:52 PM by generalizethis

If it dumps briefly as low as 0.0016 I will support the price. I have some coins in storage waiting from the heavenly rain.
I do not recommend selling any coins before there is massive adaption from noobs that needs coins. We are holding coins for them so when they enter to the markets, I am ready to sell 10-20 xmr to them.  Wink

That's some strong bullish signal right there, TrueCryptonaire gave up waiting XMR fall into his arms at 0.0005  Shocked  Cheesy

If it had touched 0.0005 I would have scooped up some nice number of coins right there.
Meanwhile I bought silently on the way down. It was crazy and I felt pretty bad so I did not buy any significiant number of coins at each price point.
Nobody seemed to be interested in Monero and it was close to graveyard. I remember reading Warz desperate comments on Polo trollbox while the price kept dropping like a falling knife.

I was also trying to do my best to fear mongering - I wanted so badly the coin to drop to 0.0005. I guess I failed my mission.  Cry  Grin

I remember some of the "don't catch a falling knife" posts (there were a few, don't remember who were the posters) but i made sure to adjust my buying to MORE with every post. I think I posted, "learn to juggle" around .001 and got slammed by the fear patrol.  Tongue

The 0.001 lever is broke. New low levels has to be discovered.
I invested 0.12 BTC @ 0.0012 but for now is was not a good choice.
Hopefully is was just a spike below 0.001 but the presure is to high I afraid.
Maybe I buy extra @ 0.0005?

For now strategy is holding and see where XMR hits the floor.
Never try to catch falling knives.

"If you can't catch falling knives, you'll never make it as a juggler."  --juggler.

Stupid, misquoted myself--oh well.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:00:02 PM

I was also trying to do my best to fear mongering - I wanted so badly the coin to drop to 0.0005. I guess I failed my mission.  Cry  Grin

I remember some of the "don't catch a falling knife" posts (there were a few, don't remember who were the posters) but i made sure to adjust my buying to MORE with every post. I think I posted, "learn to juggle" around .001 and got slammed by the fear patrol.  Tongue

Obviously it is not nice to have competition, therefore I had to warn others. LOL  Grin Grin Grin Cheesy
People who are fear mongering most likely has their own best interest. They want to buy it low.
Same thing applies to bitcoin speculation forums. You can easily see when to buy coins just when the number of FUD is the most highest point.

The pain is at its maximum level at the very bottom, always.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:29:19 PM

Is it true that Monero is mined by botnets mainly?
For me it is irrelevant who is miner - I am not mining, I am buying it with hard currency so it doesn't play any role to whom I pay for my coins.

Fairly hard to say. I think it is a significant factor in mining, as are cloud computing scammers (e.g. buying time without viable payment credentials). The cloud vendors are being dumb, but it seems they continue to allow it, so that's their problem.

As long as people are mining to make money (or explicitly mining to help the coin at at a loss), whether that's botnets, cloud cheaters, or whatever, it all makes the coin stronger, so I entirely agree with you it doesn't matter. The only miners who hurt are those who are motivated by attacking rather than profit, or are so centralized they could be exploited by an attacker (large pools come to mind).
Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:56:26 PM

For those of you that think that mining at a "loss" is stupid, most of the people mining XMR are doing so in speculation that Monero will be more valuable in the future. They technically are not mining at a loss, until they sell at current prices.

Mining since 2014
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:59:30 PM

For those of you that think that mining at a "loss" is stupid, most of the people mining XMR are doing so in speculation that Monero will be more valuable in the future. They technically are not mining at a loss, until they sell at current prices.

I never said it was stupid, just that its different from what I have done. People have their own motivations to do things, all fine with me.

Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:01:41 AM

I never said it was stupid, just that its different from what I have done. People have their own motivations to do things, all fine with me.

I was indirectly responding to TrueCryptonaire.

Mining since 2014
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 12:11:41 AM

The mining discussion is absurd, there is no other coin except DRK that people can mine with gpu's and that provides enough liquidty to sell.

And people mine at a loss, because they already have the hardware to do it, its like a credit.

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:43:51 AM

Well, if they could buy the coins without mining for a cheaper price then it is stupid from an economics perspective. I mean you have to upkeep the machines and stuff, it's a lot more work than just buying coins. So if mining doesn't produce a profit, then they probably should have another motive other than money.
Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:46:28 AM

Well, if they could buy the coins without mining for a cheaper price then it is stupid from an economics perspective. I mean you have to upkeep the machines and stuff, it's a lot more work than just buying coins. So if mining doesn't produce a profit, then they probably should have another motive other than money.

Most of the people mining XMR- that I have met- have said that they mined XMR for "fun".

Mining since 2014
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:46:49 AM

It's not necessarily true it is less work to buy coins. It is hard for many people to get btc and nearly impossible to buy XMR without btc.
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:53:06 AM

http://news.diginomics.com/evolution-marketplace-collapse-violates-bitcoin-fungibility/

XMR has been nominated!

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Gladimor
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:50:03 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2015, 05:10:06 AM by Gladimor

Monero- Secure. Private. Untraceable.

Mining since 2014
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 06:30:33 AM

Most of the people mining XMR- that I have met- have said that they mined XMR for "fun".

Not everyone has easy access to the banking system or a market price exchange. Hence it can be hard to buy BTC (at market prices) and therefore XMR (at market prices).

That's also disregarding sunk costs, and widely varying electricity costs around the world. Why'd wouldn't you mine them if you're not paying for the electricity, and you want to support the tech OR see that it makes sense to mine a private coin if your mining is shady (using uni/corporate/school/etc. hardware).
Pages: « 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: