Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:45:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 [905] 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312341 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 02:40:41 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2016, 10:37:56 PM by luigi1111

The point is somewhat valid for Monero though, since we do now have lightWallet, MyMonero and a few others.

Those solutions are not great though, given the issue of resources. I believe MyMonero still does not support integrated addresses for example (not positive, as I don't use it). It definitely doesn't support tx-keys (needed for proof of payment) meaning it can't be used with bitsquare.

I don't mean that to call out fluffypony for doing anything wrong, as I think MyMonero overall is basically great, but it is hard to for all third party projects to justify a lot of resources for development when the coin is small as are the revenue opportunities for such a product.

It has supported integrated addresses for some weeks now.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
griffen1102

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 03:29:26 PM

Monero's decoupling from ETH.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4883

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 04:06:31 PM

I did notice this but can only surmise it is because of the large capitalization as it certainly isn't because of the tech. I really expected the opposite but once again I gave the masses more credit than they deserve.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 04:30:24 PM

I did notice this but can only surmise it is because of the large capitalization as it certainly isn't because of the tech. I really expected the opposite but once again I gave the masses more credit than they deserve.

first thing to learn in trading is that the market always right...  either due to the mass behavioral psychology or that it was wisdom of the  crowd, either way if you lose accept that you were wrong and learn more.
if you never accept that you were wrong then you will never learn.

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 04:58:52 PM

first thing to learn in trading is that the market always right...  either due to the mass behavioral psychology or that it was wisdom of the  crowd, either way if you lose accept that you were wrong and learn more.

My lesson learned from the markets is the fact that one can refuse buying if (s)he thinks it will go down. If one thinks the price will go up, then buying is a viable choice.
Buy when you think it is low I guess and sell when you think it is high. There are always people who disagree with your views due to different time horizons (some people are here for quick buck, others are for 2-3 years and some are for decades to come).
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 05:20:45 PM

A 300 XBT buy wall at 0.00165. Fake or real?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2016, 05:28:07 PM

Dump into it and find out?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 05:29:09 PM

Probably real and they know it will get dumped on going by historical trends.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 05:48:48 PM

Dump into it and find out?

Are you kidding. At these prices it is not even close. The one mistake I made with Bitcoin was selling a portion way too soon. I am not prepared to make the same mistake with Monero which, by the way, has way stronger fundamentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz61YQWZuYU

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 05:57:46 PM

I'd say Monero has another 2-3 months to really take off otherwise its dead. Botnet hash rate and steep emission curve is what will cause premature death.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 01, 2016, 11:59:39 PM

I'd say Monero has another 2-3 months to really take off otherwise its dead. Botnet hash rate and steep emission curve is what will cause premature death.

An analysis of the change in capitalization rate since Monero's launch rather than just price indicates the exact opposite. The steep emission curve has allowed the market to absorb large increases in market capitalization (market capitalization is the measure on what value the market places on the coin and project overall) while keeping prices affordable.

As the emission curves flattens this will no longer be the case so further increases in market capitalization that are comparable to those in the past will require much higher prices.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 12:16:29 AM

Did somebody say GUI?  Grin

Latest commit ec949c3  10 hours ago
 Smiley Wink Cool Kiss
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 12:32:43 AM

https://www.coingecko.com/buzz/gavin-andresen-ethereum-rise-warning-to-bitcoin

Very interesting comments on the part of Gavin Andresen on the maximum  blocksize issue and Ethereum. Of course Monero does not have a maximum blocksize issue.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 02:38:59 AM

I agree to a point. But I don't think they were ever really coupled to begin with. Look at that chart. What happened before November?

It looks to me like they both happened to go up at around the same time (Feb-Apr). That does not a coupling make.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

I agree to a point. But I don't think they were ever really coupled to begin with. Look at that chart. What happened before November?

It looks to me like they both happened to go up at around the same time (Feb-Apr). That does not a coupling make.

LOL, I had forgotten he was still posting. My track records pretty good and I am not holding a position so it's not an issue ATM but I would really like to get some M0AR cheap!!!. Smiley

AFA whether they were coupled, who can say? What timeframe is it defined as? There really is no set rules in this market so none of the standard models are worth a damn thing. The only thing I think of using stock algo's is not to bet on them as everyone is using them which means whoever has the most capitol is gonna win.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 03:36:36 PM

This reddit reply from u/ferretinjapan deserves a crosspost, hence:

To be fair, I can be "hostile" at times, but that is only when I'm clearly being provoked by trolls or others that are being disingenuous and throw the first stone. I personally go out of my way to assume good faith and remain civil, but once I can gauge a users intention is to be a prick I'll reverse troll them like a champ Smiley. Unfortunately Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies attract a massive amount of trolls and know-it-alls so being "hostile" is sometimes the only way to restore civility (ironically) because if I let them walk all over me, they'll be emboldened to continue doing the same thing to others.

I don't consider myself a "maximalist", I'm simply naturally sceptical. Nearly all other blockchains really didn't do anything that Bitcoin couldn't, or the features they espoused weren't really useful for end users. Projects can also become corrupted by it's user base and diversity of development is critical if a project is to survive. So when I see a group ruling a blockchain project with an iron fist, I become sceptical of it's success as it's clear that users' best interests are not a priority. So I could hardly be called a maximalist when I turn on Bitcoin after 5+ years as a result of the censorship and hamstringing of development. I want the blockchain that serves users' needs best to be the one to succeed.

Aside from Bitcoin's technology, I was also attracted to Bitcoin in the early days because it's goal was to keep the issuance and handling of money honest, so to speak. It can't be corrupted or misused by a select group or entity and that is very important to me. I'm a staunch supporter of honesty and integrity, whether that be keeping governments honest, banks, organisations honest, etc. . Unfortunately, Bitcoin has become mired in politics, and we can all see that since miners have ignored users, and now answer to Blockstream Core, they are corrupting the very foundation of Bitcoin by yet again allowing a group/organisation/company make all the calls.

So, to answer /u/beerbellyfatass more specifically, I've seen a LOT of alt coins pop up over the years. I got into Bitcoin in 2010 so, I've witnessed every single alt pop into existence from the beginning, and I've shitcanned 99% of them as the vast majority were scams to try and loosen Bitcoins from naive users in the early days. I can't even begin to tell you how dumb some early users were, they'd pretty much throw their coins at anything and scammers arrived in droves to try and capitalise on early users' idiocy. Thus my standard for what constitutes a sensible altcoin is understandably very high. It takes a lot for a coin to get past my BS filter, but here is a list of things I find myself looking for when taking another Blockchain project seriously.

• Fair issuance: No IPO, fundraising BS, no premine, the announcement and mining/node software for the network should have been released and open source well in advance.
  • Features that answers genuine use cases that users have, and that other coins struggle to satisfy. It MUST be useful to end users in some way, and that use should be obvious. "Turing complete", smart contracts, etc. is NOT a use case.
  • Based on solid CS and cryptographic principals. The underlying security should not be based on brand new research, or dubious mechanisms. It is meant to support an economy, so trusting the security to untested, poorly understood, or brand new algorithms or complex mechanisms is a big red flag as tiny bugs could bring everything down, as they say, the devil is in the details (even when I first discovered Bitcoin, I was very sceptical as bugs could undermine even sound theory). For obvious reasons, Zerocoin fails this sniff test. So does any project that uses POS.
  • The mining/wallet/node software must be open source, no exceptions.
  • It should not be founded, or organised by a for profit group (think Ripple). If it's for profit, you can almost be guaranteed that governments can shut it down, or have backdoors to control the system. And besides that, for profit coins don't exist to benefit users, they exist to benefit the company/organisation, and can be very easily corrupted.

As you can see, Ethereum sits on the fence of most of these criteria, but Monero clearly passes, thus where my "bias" lies. I like Monero a hell of a lot more than Ethereum, but I can't quite throw Ethereum in with all the other scam/shit coins out there. Ethereum has too many red flags but unfortunately users, as usual, have little idea what/why they are getting into Ethereum and simply flock to it because "turing complete" and think nothing of the underlying code or design, or what use cases it's trying to satisfy for end users. Ethereum as a result looks far more like a pump and dump than a serious contender. Monero OTOH has obviously been carefully designed to address certain needs everyday users have, and many long term problems considered and addressed before getting started. They never had an IPO, all coins were issued via mining, was open source from the outset, based on solid algorithms, and done by volunteers.
/essay

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4m4qv2/help_me_understand_monero_and_the_community_im/d3sw4mz?context=3

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2016, 03:46:17 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2016, 03:56:23 PM by Hueristic

Shit moved my buy from right above the wall to below while I crashed. Sad

This reddit reply from u/ferretinjapan deserves a crosspost, hence:

VERY well thought out and completely on spot post.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4m4qv2/help_me_understand_monero_and_the_community_im/d3sw4mz?context=3

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2016, 04:22:13 PM

Did somebody say GUI?  Grin

Latest commit ec949c3  10 hours ago
 Smiley Wink Cool Kiss

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:40:09 AM

The Monero Stack Exchange commitment phase is at 33% currently and over 100 people have already commited. Have you commited already?

https://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:25:29 PM

The Monero Stack Exchange commitment phase is at 33% currently and over 100 people have already commited. Have you commited already?

https://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero

And don't forget to earn REP in some of the other sites, people. Try answering a question a day. Before you know it, Bam!.
Pages: « 1 ... 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 [905] 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: