Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:05:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:52:54 PM

Good to hear that they have taped out. Presumably they have working prototypes in the lab and are ckecking EMC compliance, getting CE approval, etc.

I don't think you need CE approval if customers have to provide their own PSU's.  Which I thought was why they went that route.

What does "tape out" mean?
Tape out is a BS term used by people that want to sound cool. In reality it's just the sending of the CAD files to the foundry to commence production, except there is a whole checking and consulting phase at the foundry that comes after they receive the CAD files which can take days or weeks, as these wafers are multi-million dollar projects, not some CAD file going to a PCB factory for a batch run.  KNCminer would not be interacting with the foundry, as they didn't design the chips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:53:31 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 09:08:44 PM by Bitcoinorama

We would like to say that. Yes....we did tape-out of the ASIC some time ago.

Good. Presumably you have working prototypes in your lab checking EMC compliance as well as working on SEMCO/CE approvals.
You know of a miner manufacturer that waited for CE approvals?
Show us.

It depends how it's being sold. Consumer appliances which plugs into the mains may require approval depending upon the country. There are also EMC requirements so the miner will not disturb the TV, WiFi, or whatever of your neighbor.

They're not cutting corners, or risking their business. This isn't being marketed as a consumer product, but  business to business, even so if it is to be sold in the European Union, they won't skip on a necessary requirement. Avalon were v.cheeky sending the items as research products:

https://www.gov.uk/ce-marking

That was the what the Raspberry Pi foundation tried initially, but it did not work out that way. Several thousand units were stuck waiting for approval. Also I think they had to be modified due to EMC issues with the ethernet interface if memory serves me right. Glad to hear that KnC are not cutting corners avoiding issues like this and possible lawsuits in case of fire or other hazards.

R-pi had issues importing components if memory serves, so they had the products assembled abroad, and then imported assembled units, presumably they meet as they are being used in schools now...

EDIT: I always thought the 'Chinese export' thing was a myth!:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/ce-compliance

The 'development board' thing mentioned here, also explaining the problems R-Pi ran into is exactly what Avalon have been doing;

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/878

Apparently there is a max limit of 2,000 units to be classed as a dev boards...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:00:01 PM

Good to hear that they have taped out. Presumably they have working prototypes in the lab and are ckecking EMC compliance, getting CE approval, etc.

I don't think you need CE approval if customers have to provide their own PSU's.  Which I thought was why they went that route.

What does "tape out" mean?
Tape out is a BS term used by people that want to sound cool. In reality it's just the sending of the CAD files to the foundry to commence production, except there is a whole checking and consulting phase at the foundry that comes after they receive the CAD files which can take days or weeks, as these wafers are multi-million dollar projects, not some CAD file going to a PCB factory. Something KNCminer would not be doing, as they didn't design the chips.

Erk, you have seen this, right?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg2832504#msg2832504

Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:26:37 PM

Hi Guys

We would like to say that. Yes....we did tape-out of the ASIC some time ago. The exact details of the ASIC schedule, volumes, vendor etc. is kept internal since it's very sensitive information towards competitors. The product development tasks are on-track."

We are still on schedule to begin shipping in September.

Thanks
KnCMiner Team

Thanks for the update Smiley

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:31:51 PM

Hi Guys

We would like to say that. Yes....we did tape-out of the ASIC some time ago. The exact details of the ASIC schedule, volumes, vendor etc. is kept internal since it's very sensitive information towards competitors. The product development tasks are on-track."

Thanks
KnCMiner Team

I think I just heard dozens of upgrade orders go through.  <G>

That was nice of them to post the info on the forum.  This thread isn't exactly short. 

This is great news. Hopefully some pictures will follow shortly. Am not sure what the advantage to upgrade now vs. the end of August (deadline) is though...
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:41:31 PM

Sorry to interrupt the fight but one thing I consider important is details on power supply required so that upon delivery we can all have one ready to go.
Time is going to be crucial especially in the first month with diff increases etc. , you don't want to lose time hashing waiting for an item like that do you?
Personally I'd like to be shopping for mine now and be sure it's the right one.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:45:42 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 11:05:42 PM by Bitcoinorama

No, 100% you're right, for that part I'll apologise to Augusto despite the attack on me. His past is none of my business.

I did not attack you. By no way my opinion is an attack. It is just an opinion about your profile in this forum. I do not know who you are outside this forum. Even if I was aware of who you are, by no means I would bring details of your personal life into the discussion. However after I gladly left my opinion, you just pop up with some random photos from my past background. That indicates you were very affected by my opinion. To substantiate my opinion I presented some evidence which indicates you could be working for KnC. Then you became more infuriated and brought more false statements about my personal life, when you should bring evidence to prove my opinion wrong.

Well, at least you recognize that my past background has nothing to do with the subject discussed in this topic. Do it better than that and perhaps I will reward you with another 0.10 BTC.

Wink

I don't need the reward, and in this instance I don't deserve it. Please take the time to read through the thread and inform yourself instead of jumping to wild accusations and name calling. I appreciate it's a monster, with the earlier half definitely the more revealing. Believe it or not, my intentions are sincere.

Hopefully we can both learn something from this, I definitely crossed the line, your past is your past and is nobody's concern. I've removed the offending posts, and links. A few people have rubbed me up the wrong way recently, and you're right, your opinion did affect me. Sorry. Lesson learned. Peace. Wink

erk

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:47:34 PM

Sorry to interrupt the fight but one thing I consider important is details on power supply required so that upon delivery we can all have one ready to go.
Time is going to be crucial especially in the first month with diff increases etc. , you don't want to lose time hashing waiting for an item like that do you?

They would have had to build a unit to report the actual power consumption, so your question would be answered in September.

If you can't get an appropriate PSU from a local PC shop in less than an hour you must be in the 3rd. world somewhere.

Anenome5

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:59:40 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks
KnCMiner Team

Woot!!!

Debating about upgrading my October Mercury to a Saturn or Jupiter even. Thoughts?
I'm hesitant only because I went from 4 jallys to a Single with BFL and I'm currently kicking my ass in because of it. Overall, it was a waste of money to upgrade. I may even lose~ money at this rate because they're taking so long.
Not upgrading with KNC because of what BFL did is a bit like not trusting your new girlfriend because the last one cheated on you.

You've got to mentally segregate the two relationships. Don't act once bitten with your new girl who hasn't yet given you any reason to distrust her.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:02:44 PM

Hey, not a problem! There is a "large Technical announcement coming next week":

Hi Guys

Sorry for butting in in your discussion but don't buy any power supplies yet.

We will have a large Technical announcement coming next week. Where we will give even more accurate Power figures and GH/s.

It will be a significant announcement which I hope will make all of our customers happy. and no before you ask I wont reveal any details before that newsletter goes out Smiley

again please don't buy a 1200W power supply you simply will not need one that powerful or expensive.

Sam
Anenome5

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:15:57 PM

Far from it I've insisted you pay by credit card and call your issuing bank and ensure they will cover your ass after the Paypal 45 day window shuts. Mine will. I rang Barclays and recorded the lady in the fraud department on loudspeaker to be super sure. If anything I was instrumental in ensuring KnC accepted card payments. Read the damn thread.

Oh really, so would you share that with all us? I will be glad to hear such conversation.

https://www.kncminer.com/pages/payment

Our payment system will allow the following payment methods:

PayPal

Bitcoin via Bitpay

Bank transfer

By the way, why KnC did not included "credit card" in their list of accepted payment method if 'was instrumental in ensuring KnC accepted card payments'?

You really are daft, aren't you. Paypal is their CC processor. I'm sure there are people here who paid with CC and can verify it works.

And I've read this entire thread and seen nothing to indicate Bitcoinorama is shilling. Your attack is nonsensical and without evidence.

Anenome5

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:19:56 PM

They've said only not to rush out and buy a 1000 watt PSU "you won't need anything that big."

I think 1kw was their worst-case-scenario + room for error figure. I think they're shooting for ~750.

timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:21:00 PM

Hey, not a problem! There is a "large Technical announcement coming next week":

Hi Guys

Sorry for butting in in your discussion but don't buy any power supplies yet.

We will have a large Technical announcement coming next week. Where we will give even more accurate Power figures and GH/s.

It will be a significant announcement which I hope will make all of our customers happy. and no before you ask I wont reveal any details before that newsletter goes out Smiley

again please don't buy a 1200W power supply you simply will not need one that powerful or expensive.

Sam

Thanks. I missed that in the fight Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:22:58 PM

Ok, I have to admit I'm starting to become genuinely curious with KNC.

I've been quietly skeptical, mostly due to a lack of solid information coming out about the project, and am hugely suspicious of any 28nm ASIC right now due to costs involved, but I have to admit that seeing the Paypal payment option as enticing, mainly for their consumer protection mechanisms.

Shipping end of September huh ? Guess I'll place my order near end of August and cross my fingers.

Good luck gentlemen. Pulling for you folks. Will be quite the technical achievement should this project come to fruition.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 10:26:26 PM

If they're accepting PayPal, then that means they're accepting credit cards. If they don't deliver in 90 days, and refuse a refund you can still do a chargeback with your credit card, even if it's past PayPal's deadline

They said it would be "less then" 1,000 watts for a Jupiter, but then they said not to buy one yet because in their view a 1kW PSU would be a waste of money. That said, a 1kW PSU will definitely cover it. Additionally if people figure out how to overclock these things you might want a more powerful PSU.

Also definitely go for an expensive, high-efficiency PSU. Not only will they be more reliable, and save money on heat, they'll generate much, much less heat as well.

erk

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:37:35 PM

If they're accepting PayPal, then that means they're accepting credit cards. If they don't deliver in 90 days, and refuse a refund you can still do a chargeback with your credit card, even if it's past PayPal's deadline

They said it would be "less then" 1,000 watts for a Jupiter, but then they said not to buy one yet because in their view a 1kW PSU would be a waste of money. That said, a 1kW PSU will definitely cover it. Additionally if people figure out how to overclock these things you might want a more powerful PSU.

Also definitely go for an expensive, high-efficiency PSU. Not only will they be more reliable, and save money on heat, they'll generate much, much less heat as well.
And what if when they test the chips it turns out to be well over estimates?
Anenome5

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:40:36 PM

Really, do you have a particular brand/series in mind. I was reading about certain platinum-efficiency rated PSUs lately, curious what you guys would put your eye on.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:42:38 PM

Really, do you have a particular brand/series in mind. I was reading about certain platinum-efficiency rated PSUs lately, curious what you guys would put your eye on.

FWIW, I'm a huge proponent of the Corsair AX1200.
Anenome5

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:45:00 PM

And what if when they test the chips it turns out to be well over estimates?
Well obviously the whole exercise was for naught if they pull a BFL on that score.

But of course, BFL did something so silly where they apparently failed to do optical proximity correction, and this is, apparently, why their power drain doubled.

I'll bet that had Yifu laughing for days and days.

I don't expect Orsoc to pull such a rookie move.

ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:50:51 PM

i dont think the psu really matters honestly. dont waste money on anything crazy. just get a decent well priced unit and you will be fine, just wait for KNC to tell us the specs first.
Pages: « 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: