Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:48:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
The Avenger

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:40:31 PM

And on the KNC forum, some industiral design professor got his students to test the airflow of the case design. His thoughts:

"I just put a team on this new setup and ran tests it looks like it has 3 high pressure areas that disrupt airflow
so far it looks lie you will need to use 3 fans in the front mount the controller on end and move the two ASIC closer to the front.

this will allow more cool air in and give a bit longer run for the airflow channel to minimize the high presser buildup (any high presser = hot spots )"

http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/hardware/590-case-revision

Is anyone interested in or planning in building their own case, where the airflow is optimised? I guess the above is a good start  Wink

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Avenger

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:42:19 PM

nah, just to the select few who are actually pointing.

As to the angled fins, i'm trying to figure out if this was the design all along, or if it was a late modification.
When they posted their "box with fans" photos a couple of weeks ago, some people complained about the bad airflow (i.e. exhaust from fans blowing into inlet of others). So I guess they went "Oh yeah, we didn't see that. Now how do we fix the problem without having to junk the 4000 metal boxes we have stacked up in the next room?"

Tada! Weld a piece of metal in to divert the exhaust. Seeing as it wasn't in the box with fans photo, you can be sure it's a late modification.

It's a bit sad they couldn't see the issue themselves, considering how every second news update contains the word "engineers" and "engineering" and how they are not much good at anything other than engineering.

So, if everything about KNC bothers you so much, WHY ARE YOU EVEN POSTING IN THIS THREAD?
Have a wank my friend, you seem a bit wound up.

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
Gemminyc

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:42:45 PM

This thread is a total joke - you have finger pointers, speculators, trolls(negative speculators), and those who actually want to share information.  To be called a fanboy would be a fallacy because there are no physical products yet to become a Fan over - hence there are only optimistic speculators.  If I read correctly earlier on, day one orders are expected to in the next 10-15 days right?  

Even the most optimistic speculators do not believe they receive unit in two weeks. I believe they hope the unit will be delivered early next month, saying no chip or prototype will be shown before KNC ship  Cheesy
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:01:31 PM

Keith from KNC says:

There has been a slight revision in our casing that we had neglected to previously explain.

The case has had an airflow improvement to ensure increased thermal efficiency.

We have ensured the hot air from the front two heatsinks is redirected, avoiding the rear chips, and is expelled from the casing by installing fins affixed to the upper casing section (despite appearing in the CAD as part of the lower section of casing). In turn this allows a sufficient amount of cool air exits to ensure a cooler operating environment for the rear heatsinks to operate comfortably.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make a wider case with all four modules side by side instead of trying to direct the air with baffles.

They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

It's not 19" wide, and not rackable.  Further, the PS is external and has to live next to the case.  Awful solution from every perspective.
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:05:54 PM

Keith from KNC says:

There has been a slight revision in our casing that we had neglected to previously explain.

We have ensured the hot air from the front two heatsinks is redirected, avoiding the rear chips, and is expelled from the casing by installing fins affixed to the upper casing section (despite appearing in the CAD as part of the lower section of casing). In turn this allows a sufficient amount of cool air exits to ensure a cooler operating environment for the rear heatsinks to operate comfortably.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make a wider case with all four modules side by side instead of trying to direct the air with baffles.

They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

It's not 19" wide, and not rackable.  Further, the PS is external and has to live next to the case.  Awful solution from every perspective.

absolutely! i should immediately cancel all my orders. the psu isnt in the case? oh my fuckin god!!!!!

rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:06:38 PM

Keith from KNC says:

You can still put it on a shelf in a rack though but if they put all 4 boards next to each other, you wouldn't be able to.
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:07:06 PM

Yes. Actually it is. Since it's the truth.

I quote: Who is going to read >400 pages and the search function of this site sucks.

I read them. All of them. And I am able to use the search function properly.

Congratulations! I guess that achievement gives you the right to belittle anyone else that comes along with a question.

Nope, but it gives me the right to point out the information you wanted in a short and effective way and critize your lack of ability to get them yourself. Seriously, if you feel emotional hurt over my comment - just don't post questions like that.

I am generally in favor of questions. Every one has them, you know? But most people try to get the answers themself first before spamming a 400+ pages thread with them.

If your question would have been: Hey does anyone know if Upgrades are possible for November orders? - I would have given the same answer in the same tone as bitcoinorama. But not to a "hey guys, I am too lazy to look for the answer myself for 5 minutes" post!

It wasn't my question.  Go back and look.

The question was mine.  Sure like the ignore - mash it all the time.  And I would have thought if I had happened across mention of how those modules are attached to the main board it would have registered.  I still don't know.  Reading 400+ pages on the chance an informed reader mentioned it seems less a good idea than asking.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:08:44 PM

The case is nowhere near 19" wide.  They could have made the case 19" so it actually could be rackmounted and would have had enough space to mount a (user supplied) ATX PSU inside AND put the modules in a line.
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:11:56 PM

This thread is a total joke - you have finger pointers, speculators, trolls(negative speculators), and those who actually want to share information.  To be called a fanboy would be a fallacy because there are no physical products yet to become a Fan over - hence there are only optimistic speculators.  If I read correctly earlier on, day one orders are expected to in the next 10-15 days right?  

Even the most optimistic speculators do not believe they receive unit in two weeks. I believe they hope the unit will be delivered early next month, saying no chip or prototype will be shown before KNC ship  Cheesy

Here you go, put your bitcoin where your mouth is:

Bitbet: KnCMiner will deliver ASIC devices before October 1st

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
rolling

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:15:37 PM

They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

The case is nowhere near 19" wide.  They could have made the case 19" so it actually could be rackmounted and would have had enough space to mount a (user supplied) ATX PSU inside AND put the modules in a line.

I never said they were 19".  You can put something in a rack that is less than 19" with a shelf but you can't put something in a rack that is over 19" wide which the case probably would have been if they put 4 boards next to each other.
crumbs

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:17:34 PM

absolutely! i should immediately cancel all my orders. the psu isnt in the case? oh my fuckin god!!!!!

No, u should keep your orders.  You're giving me delicious lulz.  Never change.
crumbs

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:24:23 PM

They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

The case is nowhere near 19" wide.  They could have made the case 19" so it actually could be rackmounted and would have had enough space to mount a (user supplied) ATX PSU inside AND put the modules in a line.

I never said they were 19".  You can put something in a rack that is less than 19" with a shelf but you can't put something in a rack that is over 19" wide which the case probably would have been if they put 4 boards next to each other.

I think the thing is ~16 inches wide, leaving just not enough room for a power supply on the side (remember, there's a nasty bundle of wires, PS fan exaust, and the shelves are a hair narrower than the rack (just trust me on that).  So, the PS lives on top anyhowz. Smiley
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:25:56 PM

I quote: Who is going to read >400 pages and the search function of this site sucks.

Congratulations! I guess that achievement gives you the right to belittle anyone else that comes along with a question.

Nope, but it gives me the right to point out the information you wanted in a short and effective way and critize your lack of ability to get them yourself. Seriously, if you feel emotional hurt over my comment - just don't post questions like that.

I am generally in favor of questions. Every one has them, you know? But most people try to get the answers themself first before spamming a 400+ pages thread with them.

If your question would have been: Hey does anyone know if Upgrades are possible for November orders? - I would have given the same answer in the same tone as bitcoinorama. But not to a "hey guys, I am too lazy to look for the answer myself for 5 minutes" post!

The question was mine.  Sure like the ignore - mash it all the time.  And I would have thought if I had happened across mention of how those modules are attached to the main board it would have registered.  I still don't know.  Reading 400+ pages on the chance an informed reader mentioned it seems less a good idea than asking.

You thinking about adding extra modules maybe? I wondered that too if so. Could be handy if we can , if even for a next gen module.
I've read the whole thread and mentioned it a time or two but still nothing interesting. I figured I'd wait and look for myself since I'm not likely to be wanting to do that for a while Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:30:50 PM

what lulz? you are sooo fuckin right man! the psu isnt in the case!!! thats SUCH a BIG problem! no lulz here, just pure gratitude towards you.
rolling

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:33:09 PM

I think the thing is ~16 inches wide, leaving just not enough room for a power supply on the side (remember, there's a nasty bundle of wires, PS fan exaust, and the shelves are a hair narrower than the rack (just trust me on that).  So, the PS lives on top anyhowz. Smiley

Yeah, that sucks.  Looks like most power supplies are 3.39" tall so you end up over by .14 inches if the case ends up being exactly 400mm wide.  The power supply could still go in front of or behind the unit but of course, then you have issues with blowing hot air into the case or getting it from the case.  Hopefully gen 2 will be better thought out.

crumbs

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

what lulz? you are sooo fuckin right man! the psu isnt in the case!!! thats SUCH a BIG problem! no lulz here, just pure gratitude towards you.

If u knew "what lulz," u wouldn't be quite as lulzy, would u now?  Ur doing fine.
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:15:44 AM

You thinking about adding extra modules maybe? I wondered that too if so. Could be handy if we can , if even for a next gen module.
I've read the whole thread and mentioned it a time or two but still nothing interesting. I figured I'd wait and look for myself since I'm not likely to be wanting to do that for a while Smiley

This question was answered on the KnC forum I just saw.
""We will be releasing individual upgrade modules which you will fit into the device yourself. More information will be released on this in the coming weeks, most likely after shipping has started."

Looks good, "coming weeks" rather than month also looks nice.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:17:42 AM

Keith from KNC says:

I read that, hearing it in Cartman's voice, and absolutely lost it Cheesy

ImI
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:19:31 AM

Grin
keyzersoze

Activity: 476
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:46:26 AM

Don't expect civilized behavior from the bitcoin community. It's been ravaged by scams and greed. At least he answered your question. That's more than I would've expected.

Effing brilliant bro;) thanx for making my drunken night

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: