Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:14:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:09:02 AM

The scope for auto-generated "spins" and "spam" and "drivel" seems to me potentially massively higher in imagery and soundtracks because it is so very easy to generate trillions upon trillions of images, as compared to generating trillions upon trillions of text articles that are grammatically correct and actually seem to have something to convey.

(For sound for example one could set oodles of noisemaking models moving around making noises, maybe in reaction to each other, or you could run Battle for Wesnoth with sound and record the soudns of a massive battle, and by varying which units you deploy you'd get different soundtracks, so you could make a track of elves versus goblins, another goblins versus loyalists, and so on and so on and so on.)

I was wondering about this for photography. Like if someone posted ten pictures of different angles of their lamp... (in such a way that was useful or artistic to no one). I think it would require a pretty big dedicated staff to review submissions, or maybe an application process for contributors who can prove they produce real content, so not practical right now.

Though admittedly maybe I just have not been following the development of constructive grammars, article spinners and suchlike spammer-tools closely enough lately. Is it still the case that when you generate trillions of articles using a constructive grammar the resulting articles seem to somehow lack internal sense and consistency and such?
Far as I know, yes.

I think the CC BY-SA license and opensource are highly compatible concepts, but they're not strictly the same thing. There might be a demand for open-source voice synthesizers and that is a very different project than human generated content that is not locked away by copyright. Both are valid, and the degree of their implementation will depend on the demand.

Well we already have, in the software development side of things, a distinction between "any old crap you choose to come up with" and "stuff we actually need".

So maybe we could do the same with other media?

[/quote]

That's the tricky part with 'no notability requirements.' Where's the line drawn for 'what we need' and how is it determined? For instance, a lot of really good quality storytelling in various media ISN'T popular (indie films, live storytellings, self-published books), and a lot of crap (helloooo many hollywood movies) IS really popular, so popularity (for instance) is not necessarily a reliable criteria.

Actually it is already maybe not only in programming, but in "being a developer of free open source stuff" in general.

In general you have to be a person who works at least ten hours per week on free open source stuff in order to qualify as a developer to get onto the receivers list.

(That is, in order to get one "share".)

Is it one share per ten hours?

In fact it seems to me that ideally we should at some point no longer need to pay authors by the word, because, hopefully, we will eventually be able to do authors the same way we do any other developers of free open source software, which is to say, if we find a good author who habitually as a lifestyle spends ten hours per week creating free open source stuff they should be able to get onto the receivers list as a developer of free open source stuff.

Notice that they get the same one share regardless of whether they only spend the absolute minimum - ten hours per week - working on such stuff or they do such stuff 40 hours a week or 60 hours a week or 80 hours a week or whatever.

The idea was we are looking for those people who already naturally as a lifestyle contribute their time freely to free open source development.

This intrigues me, because ideally I think you're right that the audience should be people who 'naturally as a lifestyle contribute their time freely to free open source development.' Even within that model there could be room for one-time or not-that-often contributors.

I've got 200k + word I could *conceivably* post on Devtome, but I won't, because it's not polished, or not finished. I'll post it when it's ready. I care about creating quality writing. I'm really passionate about gift economies and openness, so in spirit I really liked free culture licenses, but I clung to the non-commercial clause out of fear of abuse. Investigating Devtome and looking at Sita Sings the Blues http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/ convinced me to put my licensing in line with my beliefs. So I spend 40 + hours a week writing that will now all be published under CC BY-SA. I think all those elements make it natural for me to gravitate toward Devtome.

I think a ton of other writers would, too, once they got over their hangups about copyright (which is rampant in the writer world, for a number of reasons, some of which are they they *care* about and *value* what they are producing, but also hubris around 'originality'), and were able to see that they can meet their material needs with Devcoin. Devtome has attracted a few of those, but also a lot of people who are fine with putting out 'open source' material because they *don't* care about what they're producing.

The Devtome model as it stands now isn't perfect, but it's a place to start.

How would you propose shifting it to paying ongoing writing 'developers'? I think you'd need to wait to do it until you had a stable of committed, high quality authors.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:23:59 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 06:42:43 AM by sidhujag

We need to keep on minting coins forever without halving the minting, because we need to keep sending 90% of the coins to the people/projects (addresses) that are listed in the receiver files.

-MarkM-

Nothing would change except the scarcity of the coin going up... all reciever stuff would remain the same as blocks halve I said that we would stop halving at a point in the future like say 1000 coins per block.

It just means we maintain the ratio of 1000x btc as long as possible to draw a bigger community until a point where it would be self sustaining (when ratio widens and inflation starts playing a key role in price stability) As of now i see supply saturation taking years based on the way shares were given to devtome and this would essentially speed it up aswell as staying true to the 1000:1 goal.. useful marketing trick too (the whole mBTC issue)

Actually we would be much like quark then which has 250 million coin base beforr reward drops now while maintaining a steady 0.5% inflation pa.. this is the way the new wave of succesful coins are doing it. I think devcoin has added benefit of useful generation leveraging mining thru merged mining.. We really can put all these knockoff coins to dust if we did something like this.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:42:39 AM

Is it one share per ten hours?

In fact it seems to me that ideally we should at some point no longer need to pay authors by the word, because, hopefully, we will eventually be able to do authors the same way we do any other developers of free open source software, which is to say, if we find a good author who habitually as a lifestyle spends ten hours per week creating free open source stuff they should be able to get onto the receivers list as a developer of free open source stuff.

Notice that they get the same one share regardless of whether they only spend the absolute minimum - ten hours per week - working on such stuff or they do such stuff 40 hours a week or 60 hours a week or 80 hours a week or whatever.

The idea was we are looking for those people who already naturally as a lifestyle contribute their time freely to free open source development.

Did you read the above paragraph of mine that you quoted?

As it answers the question you posted above it. Smiley

This intrigues me, because ideally I think you're right that the audience should be people who 'naturally as a lifestyle contribute their time freely to free open source development.' Even within that model there could be room for one-time or not-that-often contributors.

I've got 200k + word I could *conceivably* post on Devtome, but I won't, because it's not polished, or not finished. I'll post it when it's ready. I care about creating quality writing. I'm really passionate about gift economies and openness, so in spirit I really liked free culture licenses, but I clung to the non-commercial clause out of fear of abuse. Investigating Devtome and looking at Sita Sings the Blues http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/ convinced me to put my licensing in line with my beliefs. So I spend 40 + hours a week writing that will now all be published under CC BY-SA. I think all those elements make it natural for me to gravitate toward Devtome.

I think a ton of other writers would, too, once they got over their hangups about copyright (which is rampant in the writer world, for a number of reasons, some of which are they they *care* about and *value* what they are producing, but also hubris around 'originality'), and were able to see that they can meet their material needs with Devcoin. Devtome has attracted a few of those, but also a lot of people who are fine with putting out 'open source' material because they *don't* care about what they're producing.

The Devtome model as it stands now isn't perfect, but it's a place to start.

How would you propose shifting it to paying ongoing writing 'developers'? I think you'd need to wait to do it until you had a stable of committed, high quality authors.

40+ hours per week is "at least 10 hours per week" so should qualify.

The thing is though, why would you settle for only one share for all those hours instead of getting one share per 1000 words?

Well one reason, I suppose would be if you didn't want to post the material to Devtome.

But basically the crazy-high pay currently going to Devtome authors kind of discourages anyone from going for the lifestyle author of free open source software option, not to mention the vast number of shares that go to Devtome authors grossly dilutes the actual value that a lifestyle author's lonely single share would actually be worth on the exchanges.

So basically Devtome is maybe kind of shooting itself in the foot too not just shooting down all other categories.

Although to fully make use of lifestyle authors Devtome would have to be even more open than it currently is regarding "collated" articles, since a lifestyle creator of free open source content is not constrained to post that content to Devtome or any other specific repository. So if a lifestyle author of free open source writing happened for example to post all their free open source writing to their blog instead of to Devtome, someone would have to collate it all - grab it all - onto Devtome in order for Devtome to directly benefit from it all. But since we are talking free open source, presumably grabbing all of it from their blog and pasting it to Devtome (with attribution) would presumably be okay as far as their license is concerned. It is only Devtome itself that currently would seem to require who-ever grabs it and pastes it to hack it up instead of simply pasting it.

We could though maybe make a "grabbed wholesale" category that pays even less than the "collated" category, like maybe a share per 10,000 articles or a share per 1000 articles or somesuch, so one person with one script could suck into Devtome all the new blog posts made by all the lifestyle free open source blog authors and stuff like that and get enough pay from that to pay them for the computer resources it'd take for them to have their 'cron' daemon automatically go grab the articles and paste them to Devtome...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:20:12 AM

I only joined Devtome a couple of days ago but already have articles up on the Devtome page. Do the articles have to be added to the link tree of the topics section by admin before they will be counted by the script?
No the script only 'reads' your page, but it's very helpful to include a category at the base of your articles and then add them to 'Most Recent'. It can take a while between doing that and then adding to the link tree. With hits and popularity now also a (smaller) factor in earnings, doing that also increases your earnings potential.

I guess that I must be doing something wrong then. I have entered a couple of articles and have properly filled out the receipt section on Devtome.com  but when I check the daily account31.csv on http://d.evco.in/charity/ I don't see my user name in the Devtome earning section. If you could provide any insight into what I am doing wrong. It would be most helpful.

Thanks

Bittzy78

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:33:16 AM

Testing 0.8.5 devcoin windows client (https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin/tree/master/dist/Windows32)

Today Sidhujag has updated the devcoin windows client from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 (Devcoin-qt_V1.0.1.zip).
He has added dvcstable06/dvcstable07 to dns seed nodes.
Strangely you must choose the RAW button if you want download the zip file  Embarrassed
Extract the zip file in any folder and execute it.
After launch go to Help then debug window for viewing block chain counting  Smiley
Everything is perfectly running on Windows 8.

Cyke64, you are the first person to have written a post about installing Sidhujag's client, so you get 4 shares. Please send me a devcoin address from your computer and I'll add you to the bounty list. The next client testing bounty is 3 shares.

Bittzy78
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 07:41:51 AM

Testing 0.8.5 devcoin windows client (https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin/tree/master/dist/Windows32)

Today Sidhujag has updated the devcoin windows client from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 (Devcoin-qt_V1.0.1.zip).
Strangely you must choose the RAW button if you want download the zip file  Embarrassed
After launch go to Help then debug window for viewing block chain counting  Smiley

Cyke64, you are the first person to have written a post about installing Sidhujag's client, so you get 4 shares. Please send me a devcoin address from your computer and I'll add you to the bounty list. The next client testing bounty is 3 shares.

I installed that client on my computer yesterday and was impressed with how much it looked just like a Bitcoin/Litecoin wallet. I think it stopped downloading the block chain a couple of times but I could have just been a little impatient. I closed it and then opened it back up again and it started right where it left off. I checked on it a an hour before I went to work and did a test send and receive of Devcoins. I didn't notice any hitches sending or receiving the coins. I plan on playing with  it some more today after I get off work in the morning.

I have to say the absolute #1 plus about this new wallet is being able to backup your data. I have an older computer and that dang thing might just stop working one of these days.  Smiley

Overall, I was very impressed with it.

(I am sorry this review wasn't more technical but I am kinda low tech)

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:46:27 AM

I want Giftculturewriting to be an admin, and he chose to help categorize articles, so he do that with Weisoq and Wiser.

Papacrusher

Activity: 218
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:55:54 AM

Strangely you must choose the RAW button if you want download the zip file  Embarrassed
After launch go to Help then debug window for viewing block chain counting  Smiley

I uploaded it earlier this evening and I also was impressed with the ease of use.  The visual aspect of the client was more like what I am used to and the installation was so smooth, which is important to technically challenged persons like myself Cheesy.  It is still in the process of receiving the blocks, but I'm sure that will not be a problem.  Consistently, it is connected to 8 active connections, I'm not sure if that is the max amount or not.

DVC wallet:    13mtCyZTnMJRJw9nt7xqbiGU7tXrvkeAJB

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 08:00:15 AM

8 connections is the default max when your incoming port is not open.

So maybe your incoming port is not open.

Which might mean that your router does not support Plug and Play (or like mine it claims to but actually does not work with the plug and play library that bitcoin-derived cryptocoins use) or it might mean who-ever compiled the client compiled it without plug and play support or it might mean that who-ever compiled it compiled it with plug and play defaulting to disabled/off instead of defaulting to being enabled/on.

Then again it might also be that plug and play did work, your incoming port is enabled at your router, but it just hasn't happened to get any incoming connections yet.

(Its default max connections with an incoming port open is 125 I think.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:02:54 AM

I did a write up at Devtome: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=testing_updated_devcoin_windows_client

The new client really behaves well. I love to see it linked via Devcoin.org once all small corrections have been made.

Bittzy78
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 08:07:26 AM

Strangely you must choose the RAW button if you want download the zip file  Embarrassed
After launch go to Help then debug window for viewing block chain counting  Smiley

I did a write up at Devtome: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=testing_updated_devcoin_windows_client

The new client really behaves well. I love to see it linked via Devcoin.org once all small corrections have been made.

Yep, that is where I found the link yesterday and downloaded it.

It was a very informative write up and the screen shots were very helpful.

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:57:55 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 06:20:22 AM by Unthinkingbit

Because I missed Ranlo's post, this bounty has been redone at:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg4132653#msg4132653

Bittzy78
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 09:07:06 AM

I installed that client on my computer yesterday and was impressed with how much it looked just like a Bitcoin/Litecoin wallet. I think it stopped downloading the block chain a couple of times but I could have just been a little impatient. I closed it and then opened it back up again and it started right where it left off. I checked on it a an hour before I went to work and did a test send and receive of Devcoins. I didn't notice any hitches sending or receiving the coins. I plan on playing with  it some more today after I get off work in the morning.

I have to say the absolute #1 plus about this new wallet is being able to backup your data. I have an older computer and that dang thing might just stop working one of these days.  Smiley

You get 3 shares for the second post about the client.

I uploaded it earlier this evening and I also was impressed with the ease of use.  The visual aspect of the client was more like what I am used to and the installation was so smooth, which is important to technically challenged persons like myself Cheesy.  It is still in the process of receiving the blocks, but I'm sure that will not be a problem.  Consistently, it is connected to 8 active connections, I'm not sure if that is the max amount or not.

DVC wallet:    13mtCyZTnMJRJw9nt7xqbiGU7tXrvkeAJB

You get 2 shares for the third post about the client.

Your article is way more than 50 words, it has great pictures, and Bittzy78 got his link from your article, it must of been there first. Technically since the post was made later, you would only get 1 share, but since you wrote the information first before Bittzy78 posted, you should get at least 3 shares. So I suggest 3 shares for Wekkel, any objections?

The Testing Sidhujag's Client bounty is finished.

Sidhujag's client works well. Is it based on bitcoin 0.8.5 or Rsnel's low memory version of I0coin? I want to if this is a low memory version of devcoin, or if it uses the standard amount of memory.

I am happy with getting anything  Smiley

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:36:13 AM

If the admins choose for 3 shares for me, please divert 2 of the 3 shares to something else  Kiss

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:59:39 AM

You get 3 shares for the second post about the client.

I uploaded it earlier this evening and I also was impressed with the ease of use.  The visual aspect of the client was more like what I am used to and the installation was so smooth, which is important to technically challenged persons like myself Cheesy.  It is still in the process of receiving the blocks, but I'm sure that will not be a problem.  Consistently, it is connected to 8 active connections, I'm not sure if that is the max amount or not.

DVC wallet:    13mtCyZTnMJRJw9nt7xqbiGU7tXrvkeAJB

You get 2 shares for the third post about the client. Web wallets like vircurex can not handle generation devcoins, is your devcoin address from your computer? Since this is your first time on a payment list, please check that your address is correct at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_31.csv

Your article is way more than 50 words, it has great pictures, and Bittzy78 got his link from your article, it must of been there first. Technically since the post was made later, you would only get 1 share, but since you wrote the information first before Bittzy78 posted, you should get at least 3 shares. So I suggest 3 shares for Wekkel, any objections?

The Testing Sidhujag's Client bounty is finished.

Sidhujag's client works well. Is it based on bitcoin 0.8.5 or Rsnel's low memory version of I0coin? I want to if this is a low memory version of devcoin, or if it uses the standard amount of memory.

He didnt do anything about low memory he just updated to bitcoin 0.8.5 and problem was gone.
Papacrusher

Activity: 218
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:50:38 AM

You get 2 shares for the third post about the client. Web wallets like vircurex can not handle generation devcoins, is your devcoin address from your computer? Since this is your first time on a payment list, please check that your address is correct at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_31.csv

This address is from my computer and I checked it to be correct on your link.  Thank you, this is very exciting for me since its my first time.  On a side note, I sent Wiser a PM, since my last name begins with a "N", about setting up a writer's account, and have yet to hear anything.  I am sure the admins are extremely busy and just wanted to make sure that a delay is normal.  Thanks again!

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:00:26 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 03:09:59 PM by weisoq

I would like to propose a bounty for qt images and new icons.  8 shares for the images and icons used in the qt, 4 shares for the second best set of icons.

Any objections, or should anything be changed??
There were already objections here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310280.msg4095549#msg4095549

Unthinkingbit:

I'm pretty sure wekkel and others were already involved in testing and commenting on the test earlier here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310280.msg4085910#msg4085910

Sidhujag:
I want to fully testwith 0.8.5 first to make sure we didn't introduce any malfunction in the way it works. The code is totally different and we have to be confident that we can roll fwd from this point on. After testing is done I will work on 0.8.6 and look ahead to 0.9 upcoming. We still have to decide on the fee changes and/or implications to inflation rate structure if we go there. This will cause a hard fork.
The fee should remain a flat 1 dvc as far as I know, with no fork.

Bittzy:
I guess that I must be doing something wrong then. I have entered a couple of articles and have properly filled out the receipt section on Devtome.com  but when I check the daily account31.csv on http://d.evco.in/charity/ I don't see my user name in the Devtome earning section. If you could provide any insight into what I am doing wrong. It would be most helpful.
It can take a little while to add new writers to the receiver lists, but if still not on in a few days remind me and I'll chase it for you.

Giftculturewriting:
Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but this discussion seems to be escalating and I don't know if that's productive. This is just a discussion on a forum thread-- brainstorming, opinions, et cetera. What's actually implemented is a system that pays creators for creating, currently limited to writing. Personally I'd look at how the project has actually manifested as opposed to unmanifested ideas. The limitations and challenges of expanding the system to include other content such as music have already been outlined. They will take time and people-power to implement, and that's just a logistical reality at this point.
Quite. As I said I think these things should be done properly, so taking one step at a time is important. There's some interesting discussion that would probably have been easier to follow if there was a separate devtome thread.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

He didnt do anything about low memory he just updated to bitcoin 0.8.5 and problem was gone.

If that is true, then the whole "merged mined coins use up more RAM and this is why" theory is maybe blown out of the water?

All the memory usage fixes for the merged mined coins were predicated on the theory that the massive coinbase transactions produced by p2pool get kept in RAM by the merged mined coins because the bitcoin chain's block against which they were merged is their proof of having been correctly merged mined, or something like that.

If that was not afterall what was realy going on, then maybe it was afterall a memory leak that caused GeistGeld and I0Coin to use massive amounts of RAM, not this business of the merged mining proof stuff in RAM...

Unless maybe the bitcoin code now somehow puts such proofs to disk like the memory-hog-fix does or something?

(And we care about that and should care about that not only because things that affect other merged coins might effect us but also because they are part of our merged mined coins family, providing a spread of different features using the same hashing power that secures our own chain. Also because we are all about free open source development and after bitcoin the other merged mined coins are our closest relations. We want merged mining to work nice and smooth for all the merged coins because we don't want merged mining to get a bad rep like "oh no you are merged mined, such and such a coin is merged mined and it has problems such and such and such and such...)

-MarkM-

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:09:23 AM

I would like to propose a bounty for qt images and new icons.  8 shares for the images and icons used in the qt, 4 shares for the second best set of icons.

Any objections, or should anything be changed??
There were already objections here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310280.msg4095549#msg4095549

Unthinkingbit:

I'm pretty sure wekkel and others were already involved in testing and commenting on the test earlier here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310280.msg4085910#msg4085910

Sidhujag:
I want to fully testwith 0.8.5 first to make sure we didn't introduce any malfunction in the way it works. The code is totally different and we have to be confident that we can roll fwd from this point on. After testing is done I will work on 0.8.6 and look ahead to 0.9 upcoming. We still have to decide on the fee changes and/or implications to inflation rate structure if we go there. This will cause a hard fork.
The fee should remain a flat 1 dvc as far as I know, with no fork.

Blitzy:
I guess that I must be doing something wrong then. I have entered a couple of articles and have properly filled out the receipt section on Devtome.com  but when I check the daily account31.csv on http://d.evco.in/charity/ I don't see my user name in the Devtome earning section. If you could provide any insight into what I am doing wrong. It would be most helpful.
It can take a little while to add new writers to the receiver lists, but if still not on in a few days remind me and I'll chase it for you.

Giftculturewriting:
Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but this discussion seems to be escalating and I don't know if that's productive. This is just a discussion on a forum thread-- brainstorming, opinions, et cetera. What's actually implemented is a system that pays creators for creating, currently limited to writing. Personally I'd look at how the project has actually manifested as opposed to unmanifested ideas. The limitations and challenges of expanding the system to include other content such as music have already been outlined. They will take time and people-power to implement, and that's just a logistical reality at this point.
Quite. As I said I think these things should be done properly, so taking one step at a time is important. There's some interesting discussion that would probably have been easier to follow if there was a separate devtome thread.

It should be 4 shares for the qt images that is what I proposed.

Also do we have a bounty for ability to transact dvc via qr codes?

2 parts 1 ability to generate qr codes from your pc wallet. 2 we need a mobile wallet. Mobile wallets can use builtin scanners and mobile wallet would parse devcoin: {address} to send coins.

We can then add this to the webpage to promote devcoin.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:17:14 AM

If that is true, then the whole "merged mined coins use up more RAM and this is why" theory is maybe blown out of the water?

All the memory usage fixes for the merged mined coins were predicated on the theory that the massive coinbase transactions produced by p2pool get kept in RAM by the merged mined coins because the bitcoin chain's block against which they were merged is their proof of having been correctly merged mined, or something like that.

If that was not afterall what was realy going on, then maybe it was afterall a memory leak that caused GeistGeld and I0Coin to use massive amounts of RAM, not this business of the merged mining proof stuff in RAM...

Unless maybe the bitcoin code now somehow puts such proofs to disk like the memory-hog-fix does or something?

(And we care about that and should care about that not only because things that affect other merged coins might effect us but also because they are part of our merged mined coins family, providing a spread of different features using the same hashing power that secures our own chain. Also because we are all about free open source development and after bitcoin the other merged mined coins are our closest relations. We want merged mining to work nice and smooth for all the merged coins because we don't want merged mining to get a bad rep like "oh no you are merged mined, such and such a coin is merged mined and it has problems such and such and such and such...)

-MarkM-

I didnt see any mem specific code rsnel wrote but I think bitcoin code had something if i can remember about writing to disk instead of using ram.. that was prob part of the fix and then other mem leaks getting cleaned up.. We wont know for sure until someone runs the daemon on the pool and logs the difference of memory usage over sample period of time.
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: