Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:39:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166364 times)
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:27:45 PM

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required for your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.
I don't agree with this, this is just like giving the "old members" (including me) a head start. I'm not saying that earning merits is a race but giving us a head start also means giving us a free reputation out of nothing. That does not necessarily mean we need to rebuild our reputation from zero, I mean there are so many members that have earned a good reputation on this forum.
So I think the merit points for old members have to be given based on their reputation now and without affecting the rank.

Anyway, I think this is gonna be the end of account farming.

I agree with you with the end of the account farming.

But for your earlier statement, I guess theymos gave higher rank members (old members) merit points based on their rank is to help to grow this community, because higher rank members surely know which one is a good post and which is not. Higher rank members have a lot of smerit point that can be given to other who needs, so you guys may contribute too to measure which person deserves a higher position, and there is no use to hold your smerit points as it may decay.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:27:47 PM

@Theymos
sMerits should be rejected if given to a legendary.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:29:05 PM

I can feel the frustration of those who were just a few activity points from full, senior or hero.
No love for us frustrated almost legendary members?  Cry
you have no reason to be frustrated anyways, it has been only 24hrs and you already have received almost 450 merits. And honestly you got most of that because of your popularity here.
Mulavad

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:31:30 PM

I saw this merit thing on my profile. It created a lot of fuss.
Maybe it's a little bit to harsh on the new guys.
I would be lucky if someone even reads my post and god blessed if someone gave me a merit.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:31:49 PM

I think your thinking is much wiser than this new rule, just like me, right now I'm almost into senior members
but it will be a long time if I can not get 250 merit, while currently I only have 100 merit, even if I post a useful, maybe going to senior members take a little longer.
maybe this is the fate of new people in the forum

I´m in the same boat with 238 activity.
However, I think that it is entirely possible to reach the 250 merit if you
try to contribute to the forums with quality posts. I´m sure the introduction
of the merit system will disincentivize spamming as intended with the possible
caveat that it must somehow be ensured that no one is gaming the system
(e.g. buying/selling merit).

Besides, I have question regarding this quote by theymos:

If you want to be a merit source:

Collect TEN posts that have not received nearly enough merit for how
good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread.

Do you have to apply for yourself with 10 of your own posts? Or is intended
to nominate other people to become a "merit source"?
(e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2819947.0)

SEELE^^01

Activity: 952
Merit: 137

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:32:20 PM
Merited by premium_domainer (5)

Sometimes there was a desire to thank the user for a good, high-quality article or for answering the question. Finally, I and everyone have this opportunity.
I think that the new rules will not become an obstacle for honest and decent users. Spammers and flooders should burn in hell.

I wish everyone love, good luck and profit!

i am honestly with you, bro, but there should be another option to go against spammers and floodders.

I make many quality postings, but i dont think that they will very much appreciated by others, since people will try, against all rules, to sell their merits and so on. i also find it now really unfair for people, which were getting ready to get their next rank up within the next weeks, like me.

should i now post even more in hope to get merits for my postings Oo" that will be the same like spamming and floodding then Smiley

PS: please merit me Smiley
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:32:39 PM

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required for your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.
I don't agree with this, this is just like giving the "old members" (including me) a head start. I'm not saying that earning merits is a race but giving us a head start also means giving us a free reputation out of nothing. That does not necessarily mean we need to rebuild our reputation from zero, I mean there are so many members that have earned a good reputation on this forum.
So I think the merit points for old members have to be given based on their reputation now and without affecting the rank.
I assume you mean trust when you say reputation.
Trust is trade reputation, merit is post reputation, they don't have to be directly connected (eg I wouldn't trade with QS, but they can write pretty damn good texts).
As merit is a direct requirement for getting ranks, they only way to do this switch is the way it was done right now.
They can't "not give the merit" but let you keep the rank.

Either you gain the merit and keep the rank, or nobody has merit and we all are newbies again.
Then you'll have a problem on how to distribute your initial sMerit to kickstart people gaining merit and rebuilding their previous ranks.
But this is not just about reputation as in the market, it's also about reputation as a "good poster".
I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.
What do you think this is for?

faucet used to be profitable
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:33:08 PM
Merited by bitcoinsforall (1)

@Theymos sMerits should be rejected if given to a legendary.
That would mean high quality posts from legendaries wouldnt be marked as such, which destroys one of the purposes of publicly showing merited posts, giving good examples.
Also, when you send merit to a legendary, they gain 50% as sMerit, thus giving them an additional balance to be distributed.

Simple example: I have 50 sMerit, I can't read the forum right now and distribute them, but you are writing really good posts, I reward them to you for one of your outstanding posts,
now you get 25 sMerit, you do read the forum, select high quality posts from lower members, and contribute to the distribution that way.
The difference here being either 50 in my account and dormant/lost or 25 being actively distributed and rewarded. The latter should be the option to pick, imo.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
Benezim

Activity: 420
Merit: 142

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:35:08 PM
Merited by prehisto (1)

I am not sure that I understand the Merit system completely.
When I Merit someones post, do I give out my own Merit?
Or  I have some-kind of merit balance which i use only for "voting"?

Click on the +merit on any post and you’ll see your sMerit (sendable merit). SMerit is independent from your accumulated merit. Your merit can only increase (not decrease) when others send you their sMerit. For each 2 merit you receive, you can send one sMerit to someone else.

Initially, you have a certain amount of sMerit to distribute to others. A few selected members have sMerit that replenish periodically. These members are the major source of new sMerit.
TheQuin

Activity: 2562
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:37:33 PM

Do you have to apply for yourself with 10 of your own posts? Or is intended
to nominate other people to become a "merit source"?
(e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2819947.0)

I thought I knew the answer to that but after this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2819811.msg28875280#msg28875280 conversation, I think it is something theymos need to clarify.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Dr_Nefario

Activity: 518
Merit: 10

minter.network

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:38:21 PM
Merited by alexdencoin (1), Geila (1)

A very interesting system. How it will manifest itself on the forum, should be considered comprehensively. Yes, they should help against spam. But can appear those who will sell their services and it can also become massively. Ha ha, I'm glad innovation, and on the other hand I'm only 5 days short of the next rank.  Undecided

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
thecryptoconsultant

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

thecryptoconsultant.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:38:43 PM

Well I like the new system for obvious reasons but I think lot of people are just going to be using different platforms to talk about Bitcoin and alts.
So on one hand it's good but on the other it will take away the dominant position of BitcoinTalk. Yes Reddit is big but BitcoinTalk was here first.

Victor

TheCryptoConsultant.com is time-saving and trustworthy.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:41:46 PM

@Theymos sMerits should be rejected if given to a legendary.
That would mean high quality posts from legendaries wouldnt be marked as such, which destroys one of the purposes of publicly showing merited posts, giving good examples.
Also, when you send merit to a legendary, they gain 50% as sMerit, thus giving them an additional balance to be distributed.

Simple example: I have 50 sMerit, I can't read the forum right now and distribute them, but you are writing really good posts, I reward them to you for one of your outstanding posts,
now you get 25 sMerit, you do read the forum, select high quality posts from lower members, and contribute to the distribution that way.
The difference here being either 50 in my account and dormant/lost or 25 being actively distributed and rewarded. The latter should be the option to pick, imo.

This makes sense, but to avoid wasting sMerits - which should be used to support helpful community members to raise in rank - it would still be good to either reject the reward to legendaries, or maybe don't subtract the given sMerits in that case.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:42:50 PM
Merited by AGD (1)

Well I like the new system for obvious reasons but I think lot of people are just going to be using different platforms to talk about Bitcoin and alts.
Your opinion is pure bullshit. We do not need greedy shitposting monkeys. They can go to some other rabbit hole.

So on one hand it's good but on the other it will take away the dominant position of BitcoinTalk.
No.

This makes sense, but to avoid wasting sMerits - which should be used to support helpful community members to raise in rank - it would still be good to either reject the reward to legendaries, or maybe don't subtract the given sMerits in that case.
I disagree. Not all legendaries are equal, and Merit points may finally be that which was needed to make the difference more clear.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:43:53 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2018, 12:56:29 PM by Jeremycoin

But for your earlier statement, I guess theymos gave higher rank members (old members) merit points based on their rank is to help to grow this community, because higher rank members surely know which one is a good post and which is not. Higher rank members have a lot of smerit points that can be given to other who needs, so you guys may contribute too to measure which person deserves a higher position, and there is no use to hold your smerit points as it may decay.

Being a high-rank member doesn't necessarily mean having a good judgment on how good/bad a post is.
There's a lot of Sr. Member and even Hero Member who still do a shitposting on this forum and it doesn't quite reflect their position as a high-rank member.

faucet used to be profitable
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:45:16 PM

how to transfer the merit from a blocked account to a new one, since I do not can to unlock an old account?

I don't think this will be possible thing to do, since your account is blocked. You might try to get your account unblocked and use it? If you feel that blocking it was some sort of mistake.
thecryptoconsultant

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

thecryptoconsultant.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:48:05 PM

Next step is KYC to open a BitcoinTalk account. haha!

Victor

TheCryptoConsultant.com is time-saving and trustworthy.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:49:43 PM

Being a high-rank member doesn't necessarily mean having a good judgment on how good/bad a post is.
There's a lot of Sr. Member and even Hero Member who still do a shitposting on this forum and it doesn't quite reflect their position as a high-rank member.
Which is a problem this change is intending to approach.
Ranks will be gained not only by sheer amount of posts, but also by quality standards.
Why doesnt theymos take them away from everyone now, why do those that already have achieved their position keep it?
Well, the public outcry from a change like that would be...I dont even want to think about it.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
Hovhannes

Activity: 420
Merit: 14

MMOCoin-For-Gamers-&-Traders

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:50:05 PM

I think that after this innovation many speculators will start trading merits. In my opinion, it is necessary to watch out for this.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2268
Merit: 834

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:51:36 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2018, 01:06:33 PM by tbct_mt2

Anyway, I think this is gonna be the end of account farming.

But for your earlier statement, I guess theymos gave higher rank members (old members) merit points based on their rank is to help to grow this community, because higher rank members surely know which one is a good post and which is not. Higher rank members have a lot of smerit points that can be given to other who needs, so you guys may contribute too to measure which person deserves a higher position, and there is no use to hold your smerit points as it may decay.

Exactly! This is unfair rewarded merit system between old members and new members. The older members reached their current ranks much more easier than recent members, who have to face with the merit system in order to be upgraded to higher levels. How to correct the setback of current merit system. I think we should contribute ideas to Theymos for adjusting it a little bit.

What will happen if I write high-qualitied posts but I am unlucky because legendary or hero/ senior members dont read it by chance, only Newbie, Junior members read it and they don't give me merits. That's the problem, I guess.

In some cases, the merits I will receive only depends on luck, this is game of luck.

With my current activities, I will be upgraded to Senior Member in the next 6 weeks, but now with the merit system, I will probably wait half of a year or more. Unbelievable!

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
Ladies.de███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
LadiesStars
▬▬▬▬

▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀
░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: