Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:54:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 2167 2168 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
bidji29

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:09:17 PM

Come on. Do you really think a wallet file, which can get corrupted, or lost ("oh i deleted the program folder, didn't know that...."), or not found ("where is the fucking folder") is easier than a "please write this down"?

Yes it is easier.
I described earlier the steps between the different method :

A newcomer need to pass through 5 steps before having access to an account number.

- Launch the client
- Click on "Not registered? Click here!"
- Move his mouse arround
- Land on a complicated message. Then, copy a set of of 12 word (That's the worst step. Not user-friendly at all )
- Then recopy those word to finally have an account number

This solution is an improvment of course but I think a wallet.dat is really needed if we want to touch a wider audience.

With a wallet.dat. There is only ONE step :

-Launch the client

It's always possible to encrypt and backup the wallet.dat later. I don't think those security measure should happen at the first launch, because it's not very user friendly.
There is always the possibility to add a warning for that  at the 5 or 10th launch of the client.

And in case you didn't notice the first time :
Wesley i'm ready to donate another 40k NXT to you if you implement the wallet.dat feature, with a high priority

http://www.freebieservers.com/  100% FREE GAME SERVERS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:10:41 PM

optical, bidji29. i think you are (we all are) biased because we know this shit for a long time. what the fuck is a wallet file. but a password, hell, everybody knows that.

But newbie don't even need to know there is a wallet.dat when they first launch the client. They directly have an account and can send NXT on it.
It's an easier solution.

I'm only talking about the first second after someone launch the client, because that's the most important ones. It's the key.
Each additional step neccesary to use NXT = Less people who will bother

Come on. Do you really think a wallet file, which can get corrupted, or lost ("oh i deleted the program folder, didn't know that...."), or not found ("where is the fucking folder") is easier than a "please write this down"?

we can make the same argument about writing something down "which can get corrupted, or lost"

so not only do we want to introduce NXT to the world that's protocol is completely different than the de facto standard of bitcoin, we also want to change the main account access method?  You guys are failing human computer interaction.

Heres the deal:

If we go the brainwallet method and people screw up, they look back and say "why arent you like BTC?  if you were like BTC I wouldnt have lost my NXT.  NXT sucks"  Someone's previous suggestion of "users being too stupid" or whatever it was... yeah right, sure thats really the way to go.

On the other hand if we go .dat file storage and they screw up, there is a long history of de facto standard that has precedence that protects NXT from blame.  Do you have this protection with method of using brainwallet as default?  nope you dont.
rdanneskjoldr

Activity: 288

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:12:40 PM

I think something like this could solve the passphrase problem,adapted to Nxt,keeping its essence of brain wallet,and no wallet.dat file.People could generate their passphrases with no need of knowing them in a super easy way,and would follow BCNext's first idea.

http://braincontrol.me/
http://betanomics.asia/blog/store-and-send-bitcoin-directly-from-your-brain-using-braincontrol

BrainControl ultimately uses the following function to determenistically generate the necessary keys at the precise time required to perform any sensitive functionality such as send or backing-up:

Code:
<script>
var keys = btc.keys(Crypto.SHA256(salt+url+Crypto.SHA256(username+password+pin)));
</script>

bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:16:44 PM

On the other hand if we go .dat file storage and they screw up, there is a long history of de facto standard that has precedence that protects NXT from blame.  Do you have this protection with method of using brainwallet as default?  nope you dont.

Good point.
wesleyh

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:18:09 PM

Yes it is easier.
I described earlier the steps between the different method :

A newcomer need to pass through 5 steps before having access to an account number.

- Launch the client
- Click on "Not registered? Click here!"
- Move his mouse arround
- Land on a complicated message. Then, copy a set of of 12 word (That's the worst step. Not user-friendly at all )
- Then recopy those word to finally have an account number

This solution is an improvment of course but I think a wallet.dat is really needed if we want to touch a wider audience.

With a wallet.dat. There is only ONE step :

-Launch the client

It's always possible to encrypt and backup the wallet.dat later. I don't think those security measure should happen at the first launch, because it's not very user friendly.
There is always the possibility to add a warning for that  at the 5 or 10th launch of the client.

And in case you didn't notice the first time :
Wesley i'm ready to donate another 40k NXT to you if you implement the wallet.dat feature, with a high priority

4 steps as the mouse moving is not necessary in the newer browsers. And thanks for the possible donation, brainwallet will be implemented hopefully within 1-2 weeks max.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

Wow, almost had a brain aneurism catching up on the thread, definitely some weekend diarrhea posts by certain members (you know who you are).  Anyway, glad to see TF being implemented.  Also, Really like Parallel Chains, we need to get this implemented before CFB launches into outer space.  I don't think we need to lock this thread, but there needs to be more participation in other threads: http://www.nxtcoins.nl/bitcointalk-threads/

wesleyh

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:20:11 PM

I think something like this could solve the passphrase problem,adapted to Nxt,keeping its essence of brain wallet,and no wallet.dat file.People could generate their passphrases with no need of knowing them in a super easy way,and would follow BCNext's first idea.

http://betanomics.asia/blog/store-and-send-bitcoin-directly-from-your-brain-using-braincontrol

BrainControl ultimately uses the following function to determenistically generate the necessary keys at the precise time required to perform any sensitive functionality such as send or backing-up:

Code:
<script>
var keys = btc.keys(Crypto.SHA256(salt+url+Crypto.SHA256(username+password+pin)));
</script>

Someone will need to explain this in a little more detail. Won't URL always be the same? (in case of a desktop client there's even no URL).
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:20:45 PM

10 words

NXT: 4957831430947123625
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:21:39 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 08:27:16 PM by coretechs

Is DoS expected to be more of a problem with TF than regular forging?   If we can guess who will forge the next block with a high degree of probability, won't an attacker do the same?

If this was already discussed, can someone point me to it?  I'd like to find more detailed information on how TF is planned to be implemented.

edit -
Just noticed this is mentioned in the faq, but not really answered fully.

http://www.thenxtwiki.org/wiki/FAQ - "This is possible. If it is a concern for you, you should run your Nxt software through a personal VPN service or Tor. "

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:23:05 PM

Hi Wesleyh

While you are alive and online, please answer me, I'm repeating.

Testing AE. Using NxtWallet. Have question as simple Joe:

Did I miss somewhere, but how to know at which price I bought asset or when and for what price I sold an asset? I don't see anything in transactions and my assets.

Could somebody point me if it is?

Yep, it's not under transactions. I'll be adding something that notifies you though, based on it checking your account state and will notify you of x units of whatever item bought / sold (but not in terms of nxt gained / lost)

Ok, thank you.

I meant, I see changes in dashboard->account balance total sum, but in recent transactions there are only actions, like bid or ask, and just paid fees for this.

Yep, it doesn't create transactions. I was flustered at first too..
Its a pain but http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Nxt_API#Get_trades
gives you enough info to figure out transaction history. I had to do that to reconcile current asset balances based on transactions (trades and transfers) as compared to what NXT core returns as current asset balance.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
rdanneskjoldr

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Code:
<script>
</script>

Someone will need to explain this in a little more detail. Won't URL always be the same? (in case of a desktop client there's even no URL).

Im not a programmer,but i guess URL could be excluded.This is just how this site works.I found it in a tweet from Antonopoulos, supporting this.What i think is useful is the idea.

Just try it and take the idea.It will even show you the bitcoin private key the wallet generated if you want to save it somewhere.
It could let people use 2 or 3 easy passwords,and a PIN,easy to remember,and create the NXT passphrase from there

For example,putting
account name : nxttrial
passphrase: nxtsecondgeneration
extra salt: nxt
pin : 123456

This gives access to the publid bitcoin ID 1Ax7FXk9Q8oneRpkPv9GzMyi6gjf4y6Sg5
If you click backup, it gives you the QR code and the private key : 5KACFTu5aESZQ7THmSpgkFkew9J8EJRhSeuNWuBmEkcGhE28yGk

So you are not saving it anywhere,it keeps the essence of Nxt brain wallet.
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:30:18 PM

Someone's previous suggestion of "users being too stupid" or whatever it was... yeah right, sure thats really the way to go.

Might have been me, but I did say it needs to be made stupid proof.

But make no mistake it is stupidity for anyone to lose their NXT because of a bad password even on the NRS client as it is.

I can understand someone being a little lax when making an email password or something but when you're investing thousands of dollars into a new technology I would think any reasonably smart person would take a degree of extra caution.

I studied bitcoin for a full week straight before I bought my first hundred dollars worth.

I think part of it is on-line banking, which lets you get away with weak passwords. People think "if it's ok for my bank should be ok here"

I'm not saying these people are "non-functioning" stupid, but they are stupid nonetheless. I think it's kind of similar to the people who
don't like bothering with reading the manual when they are putting together something complicated from IKEA. They are confident they'll figure it out and just start putting it together. Usually they swear a lot while doing it and mess up a couple of times.

With crypto the consequences are more dire. You cannot screw up even once.

It's hard for me to garner a lot of sympathy for these people.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
wesleyh

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:31:30 PM

Code:
<script>
</script>

Im not a programmer,but i guess URL could be excluded.This is just how this site works.I found it in a tweet from Antonopoulos, supporting this.What i think is useful is the idea.

Just try it and take the idea.It will even show you the bitcoin private key the wallet generated if you want to save it somewhere.
It could let people use 2 or 3 easy passwords,and a PIN,easy to remember,and create the NXT passphrase from there

For example,putting

If you click backup, it gives you the QR code and the private key : 5KACFTu5aESZQ7THmSpgkFkew9J8EJRhSeuNWuBmEkcGhE28yGk

So you are not saving it anywhere.It is only that in 5 years,you come back and put the same login details,it will give you access to she same account.I think this system could work for Nxt and be user friendly.I cant say how safe it is,but i guess it is.

What's the difference between this and simply having the brain password:

nxttrialnxtsecondgenerationnxt123456?

rdanneskjoldr

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:35:03 PM

Code:
<script>
</script>

For example,putting

So you are not saving it anywhere.It is only that in 5 years,you come back and put the same login details,it will give you access to she same account.I think this system could work for Nxt and be user friendly.I cant say how safe it is,but i guess it is.

Thats why im not a programmer,and maybe its just stupid,hahah. But at least it made you create a more than 30 characters long easy to remember passphrase with numbers and letters,and symbols could be added and mandatory.

The idea is that nxttrialnxtsecondgenerationnxt123456 --> 5KACFTu5aESZQ7THmSpgkFkew9J8EJRhSeuNWuBmEkcGhE28yGk (longer for nxt), which would be the Nxt passphrase,but maybe it is useless for security
wesleyh

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:35:58 PM

Code:
<script>
</script>

For example,putting

Thats why im not a programmer,and maybe its just stupid,hahah. But at least it made you create a more than 30 characters long easy to remember passphrase with numbers and letters,and symbols could be mandatory.

The idea is that nxttrialnxtsecondgenerationnxt123456 --> 5KACFTu5aESZQ7THmSpgkFkew9J8EJRhSeuNWuBmEkcGhE28yGk , which would be the Nxt passphrase,but maybe it is useless for security reasons

Well, if this is the default method, a "hacker" would simply use the same encryption method on the brain password to get the "real" passphrase. Or am I wrong, anyone?
msin
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:38:48 PM

The reason we keep discussing things and never come to a final decision is because we don't have any deadlines.

The development committee needs to set deadlines on when certain decisions need to be finalized.  Then we can all discuss the proposed suggestions and come to a final decision.

Finishing TF to ensure a high tx rate on the primary NXT blockchain needs to be done.  Thank you Come-from-Beyond for doing this and proceeding with BCNext's plan.

+1, would love to see the development committee start a thread with projects listed with deadlines.  

Rickyjames seems to be the perfect person to head this up!
opticalcarrier

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:38:59 PM

Is DoS expected to be more of a problem with TF than regular forging?   If we can guess who will forge the next block with a high degree of probability, won't an attacker do the same?

If this was already discussed, can someone point me to it?  I'd like to find more detailed information on how TF is planned to be implemented.

I brought this up, in the original TF thread I think it was, the answer was that the forging pools that publish IP address so as to participate in TF will also require some DDoS protection, be it actual hardware in the case of owned/operated forging equipment or as a cloud service in the case of using a VPS.

This is why in the long run, using odroid/RPi forging devices as a network in a TF enabled system will be a no go.
rdanneskjoldr

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:39:47 PM

Ty for looking at it.

Its true what you say.The URL thing can make it safer in bitcoin,because hackers dont know if the wallet used this system.But would be useless in Nxt,if all the wallets used this.
msin
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:47:07 PM

For the sake of focused Nxt projects, let's please get some more minds posting here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=463731.0 - Nxt AT

&

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=498898 - Nxt X-chain transactions
opticalcarrier

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Someone's previous suggestion of "users being too stupid" or whatever it was... yeah right, sure thats really the way to go.

Might have been me, but I did say it needs to be made stupid proof.

But make no mistake it is stupidity for anyone to lose their NXT because of a bad password even on the NRS client as it is.

I can understand someone being a little lax when making an email password or something but when you're investing thousands of dollars into a new technology I would think any reasonably smart person would take a degree of extra caution.

I studied bitcoin for a full week straight before I bought my first hundred dollars worth.

I think part of it is on-line banking, which lets you get away with weak passwords. People think "if it's ok for my bank should be ok here"

I'm not saying these people are "non-functioning" stupid, but they are stupid nonetheless. I think it's kind of similar to the people who
don't like bothering with reading the manual when they are putting together something complicated from IKEA. They are confident they'll figure it out and just start putting it together. Usually they swear a lot while doing it and mess up a couple of times.

With crypto the consequences are more dire. You cannot screw up even once.

It's hard for me to garner a lot of sympathy for these people.

me either, but logically it just makes more sense in that if we have an option where we get fewer fingers pointing our way, then that method will be the way that NXT will spread larger/faster.  A nxtwallet.dat file by default gives us that.
Pages: « 1 ... 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 2167 2168 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: