Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:13:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412873 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:02:27 AM

I don't recall the exact details but I think when a bounty is proposed there is some number of days before which it goes into effect if not objected to.

So it seems reasonable that in a case such as this a few hours after the bounty was suggested someone would have objected "but that application already exists, someone just wrote it and put it online today, do we need a bounty to have more made, especially if more simply use that same open source code to make more sites using it for redundancy?"

On the other hand though such a situation (someone just went ahead and wrote something we would otherwise have needed/wanted to create a bounty for to get someone to write such a thing) seems like a potential case of aha what we have here is someone who already just goes ahead and writes free open source stuff that is useful, isn't that the kind of person who should be on the receivers list?

About that ten hours thing, is the receivers list thing ten hours a month not ten hours a week? Presumably since it is suggested one share vaguely corresponds to ten hours work?

I had written just recently somewhere that it is ten hours a week to be on the receivers list, if that is incorrect I hope it didn't discourage anyone who only does ten hours a month from applying to be on the list.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:21:33 AM

On the other hand though such a situation (someone just went ahead and wrote something we would otherwise have needed/wanted to create a bounty for to get someone to write such a thing) seems like a potential case of aha what we have here is someone who already just goes ahead and writes free open source stuff that is useful, isn't that the kind of person who should be on the receivers list?

Yes it is, and Gweedo is already on for being the devtome developer:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bitcoinshare.html

About that ten hours thing, is the receivers list thing ten hours a month not ten hours a week? Presumably since it is suggested one share vaguely corresponds to ten hours work?

I had written just recently somewhere that it is ten hours a week to be on the receivers list, if that is incorrect I hope it didn't discourage anyone who only does ten hours a month from applying to be on the list.

It does take roughly 10 hours/week, 40 hours/month to get on the receivers list for sure, although some are scraping by with less work than that, and get one share:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#developer

for people who are not working on devcoin related stuff. For people who are working on devcoin related stuff, it takes about 10 hours/month. The pay is higher for devcoin developers because their development helps devcoin. We can't afford to pay as much money for other projects because there is no direct return. Even the smaller amount we give for other projects is still more than the most of them get from all other sources combined.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:13:10 AM

Additionally, captchad on bbq coin thread is planning to write a whitepaper on the bbq development and document the process if I understood him correctly. Fuzzybear can probably confirm when he gets the PM for verification of his account. Could we allocate a special bounty for his whitepaper in addition to his per word count. This is the type of coin development documentation that is often missing from the gits and other wikis.

He would get word earnings, the signing bonus, the option of getting marketing coins, and once implemented, advertising revenue:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing

That's plenty of devcoins, so it's not necessary to give extra bounties on top of article devcoins. I would look through his paper to see if there's anything I could link to from a devcoin page, so he would eventually get more page views and therefore advertising revenue. Bounties are only meant to pay for development that doesn't earn coins in another way.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:29:03 AM

There's been more interest in making a devcoin portal page. The current devcoin page is intimidating, however, it is getting page traffic to devtome, which is the most important thing.

Is there some way of making a portal page on the wiki itself, so devtome would keep getting the page views?

killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:05:57 AM

Is there some way of making a portal page on the wiki itself, so devtome would keep getting the page views?

Well, you can host many things on same domain; using a reverse proxy like nginx to merge them, for example.

You can also make some custom module for wiki, if that's your thing... But it's likely easier to configure nginx than to develop a new wiki module, unless you happen to be a wiki module developer  Smiley

Chromia: a better dapp platform
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:13:48 AM

Thank you, sadly I don't have time to pick up a whole committed bounty for something. I really was just tying to help a community out, get a little cash, and help out JasinLee since he is my friend and he put it up. I didn't even know it was a bounty I just was bored on the forums and it popped up. I am sorry I did the site so well and complete in a fast manner. Kinda penalizes good programmers, cause now I probably take bitcoin work instead of a devcoin bounty. But it is all cool Good luck in your witch hunts.

What will it return for the value if vircurex is being used and down?

What will it do to the exchange site when used on a busy site, or when under a DDOS?

What you call complete and fast I call quick and dirty.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:40:24 AM

I would suggest separating the two domains. Google tends to penalize sites with forwarded or framed domains. Also, the .org would be an authoritative domain and help with giving devcoin a better search presence. Thoughts?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:43:30 AM

I would suggest separating the two domains. Google tends to penalize sites with forwarded or framed domains. Also, the .org would be an authoritative domain and help with giving devcoin a better search presence. Thoughts?

I concur.   You can be liberal with your links from the .org to devcoin as well which will drive traffic anyway, plus build devtome's link count a bit.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
jasinlee

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:30:04 AM

I would suggest a bounty for the site design, something appealing to the eye and hopefully attract more developers. I think by the time the site is ready, either a template or page or whatever. The vote on the official devcoin logo should be complete to ensure it is applied to the devcoin.org page as a staple to be recognized. And the normal share for maintenance and hosting the site. The site should be hosted

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:44:16 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 03:47:16 AM by Unthinkingbit

I concur.   You can be liberal with your links from the .org to devcoin as well which will drive traffic anyway, plus build devtome's link count a bit.

Thanks for the advice. The two domains will be separate, with many links from devcoin.org to devtome.

I would suggest a bounty for the site design, something appealing to the eye and hopefully attract more developers. I think by the time the site is ready, either a template or page or whatever.

How about starting with 6, then 3. Every month that it is not done it would increase by 2 and 1.

The vote on the official devcoin logo should be complete to ensure it is applied to the devcoin.org page as a staple to be recognized.

I don't know when we'll get fifteen logos so we can have a vote. So the site designer can pick a logo, when we vote for the official logo they would switch to the winner.

And the normal share for maintenance and hosting the site. The site should be hosted

I suggest 1/5 of a share for maintenance, because it's a static site. Once devtome gets advertising revenue, 10% will go to hosting. I suggest that whoever hosts devcoin.org get half the amount per page view (because it would be a static site and devtome is a dynamic site) from advertising.

Edit: Devcoin.org should have non intrusive (no animation) advertising from devcoin businesses. Once there are twenty devcoin businesses, the advertising revenue from devtome would be stopped, and devcoin.org would have to rely on its own advertising.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:53:17 PM

Devcoin value is going up

Smiley go DVC
jasinlee

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:59:35 PM

I concur.   You can be liberal with your links from the .org to devcoin as well which will drive traffic anyway, plus build devtome's link count a bit.

Thanks for the advice. The two domains will be separate, with many links from devcoin.org to devtome.

I would suggest a bounty for the site design, something appealing to the eye and hopefully attract more developers. I think by the time the site is ready, either a template or page or whatever.

How about starting with 6, then 3. Every month that it is not done it would increase by 2 and 1.

The vote on the official devcoin logo should be complete to ensure it is applied to the devcoin.org page as a staple to be recognized.

I don't know when we'll get fifteen logos so we can have a vote. So the site designer can pick a logo, when we vote for the official logo they would switch to the winner.

And the normal share for maintenance and hosting the site. The site should be hosted

I suggest 1/5 of a share for maintenance, because it's a static site. Once devtome gets advertising revenue, 10% will go to hosting. I suggest that whoever hosts devcoin.org get half the amount per page view (because it would be a static site and devtome is a dynamic site) from advertising.

Sounds reasonable to me. I think markm has the domain now. I suggest he maintains control of the domain. We can just have him update the dns as needed

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:26:37 PM

I don't hold the domain the devtome is running on, I hold a bunch of other domains that point to it or try to point to it. I say I hold them because they were bought for the project, they are not my personal property.

I have two dedicated servers that are my own (as opposed to the project's; I don't mean they are in my home they are third party hosted dedicated servers thus not secure, not good for hosting wallets and such. They have taken a while to get up and running as basically I got a good deal on evidently some old server hardware and we ran into some memory, disk and even ethernet-cable problems but hopefully now they should be pretty stable. I also have a plain old just-webhosting (php+mysql type webhosting) account elsewhere which can hold some small number of domains, an old spare devtome wiki is on that for example.

They have unlimited bandwidth so I am running all the merged mined coins on one of them with a p2pool instance to do the merging, and all the coins get to have "unlimited" connections. (Ports open; not sure if there is some default limit to number of connections that allows.)

So I now do have resources that could be used for hosting and such. I had not yet been thinking in terms of running a normal webserver such as Apache or whatever so don't have one fired up yet; I had been rather looking at things that act like a webserver themselves, java stuff such as Cyclos for example.

Something that would be really useful would be software that can read p2pool's data -r the bitcoin blockchain itself - and be used to pay people extra based on how many bitcoins a specific site's instance of p2pool paid them or how much actually productive mining they did on a specific site's instance of p2pool.

Basically p2pool cannot pay out more than 100% of the bitcoins it mines, so although it enables all the merged mined coins to be merged mines it does not seem to track the merged mining at all so there is not easy way to pay people more for mining on my Massively Merged Mining instance of p2pool than just their share of all the bitcoin that it mines. (So basically people can use it as a zero-fee pool but do not get any extra bonus for the fact that by using my p2pool they are providing hashing power for DeVCoin, GRouPcoin, IXCoin, I0Coin, CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld as well as for bitcoin.

The p2pool instance is at 198.154.60.183 on port 10332

You simply use a bitcoin address as username, password doesn't matter as its not used; and it pays you directly from the coinbase of the blocks the p2pool network finds. YOu can also point a browser at that port and it has stats you can see with pretty charts and such.

But it would be really handy to be able to run something monthly that I could for example tell an amount of devcoins to and have it divide out those devcoins to everyone based on how much mining they did. Since devcoin addresses are identical to bitcoin addresses and the users use bitcoin addresses instead of usernames it already has their addresses it could send devcoins to.

-MarkM-

EDIT: Note that this means 198.154.60.183 is usable as an -addnode for any of those merged-mine-able coins and for bitcoin. Hopefully it will be 24/7 stable now the initial settling in of the hardware seems to be completed.

Please do add it as an -addnode to devcoin because right now it itself cannot find any connections! Smiley

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:58:37 PM

I could host DevCoin.org and even put up a nice website on the domain too.

How much is the bounty exactly?

I was going to make an unofficial DevCoin website anyway - but working on the .org would be much better Smiley
jasinlee

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:18:27 AM

I could host DevCoin.org and even put up a nice website on the domain too.

How much is the bounty exactly?

I was going to make an unofficial DevCoin website anyway - but working on the .org would be much better Smiley

Up a few posts back. If your goin to go for it, try and make it eyecatching we want the devcoin domain to stand out as authoritative.

1. Perhaps a group effort to writeup the explanation of the dvc project and summary of the goals we are pursuing.
2. A summary of what devcoin also is, similar to the bitcoin site and short video explanation (I dont know if anyone has experience with this, but I can read a script and sound decent on recording.)

Balthozar

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:55:43 AM

If you want to sell websites, designs, or real items in exchange for Devcoins, POST IT HERE!!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189471.new#new

I added a post with a list of shit I'm selling.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
metazilla

Activity: 75

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:10:02 AM

Here's my version of the Devcoin Ticker app. Currently supports every currency on Vircurex. Will add more exchanges shortly.

http://dvcticker.appspot.com/

Example image:

I was going to just post the source code to Github. Should I also post it to devtome?

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 02:12:25 AM

Here's my version of the Devcoin Ticker app. Currently supports every currency on Vircurex. Will add more exchanges shortly.

Example image:

I was going to just post the source code to Github. Should I also post it to devtome?

Nice Smiley

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
jasinlee

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:15:14 AM

Example image:

I like the added currency pic at the beginning.

You can post it to git, but the bounty was based upon it being loaded on devtome.com, so just create a new page for it no biggie.

metazilla

Activity: 75

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:33:18 AM

You can post it to git, but the bounty was based upon it being loaded on devtome.com, so just create a new page for it no biggie.

Is this what you had in mind? http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=dvcticker
 Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: