Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:49:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 [1535] 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 11:18:50 AM

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 11:22:01 AM

But I don't agree that 75% of hashrate or whatever is network consensus.
I predict that miners won't (vote to) change unless there is network consensus.
Nobody has anything to lose by going XT.

I honestly hope so.

If XT is so great, no one should have to sell it to anyone, people will just switch.

There is avast difference to discussing XT vs "selling" XT to users.

Kind of hard to discuss it if reddit moderators keep deleting posts/threads related to XT and moving XT discussion to alt coin section of this forum.

People can only switch if there is enough discussion about XT.

They won't just wake up one day and go "i'll with go to xtnodes.com and download the latest client" without anyone previously mentioning it on a forum etc.

Ultimately users will choose what they want in the end.

All of this back and forth is drama and kiddy BS. Pick a stance and stick to it without the ad hominem or personal attacks (<----directed at those going out of their way to bash others).

You can discuss proposals to change the Bitcoin main chain, but a forked chain that is not also the main chain is an altchain and not truly Bitcoin.

[–]theymos -1 points 4 days ago
Discussion of hardforks is not silenced. That's why a possible hardfork has been discussed ad nauseam on /r/Bitcoin for the past few months. XT-specific submissions are removed because XT is not Bitcoin.
permalinksavecontextfull comments (189)reportgive gold

Um did he just contradict himself?

Hardforks are not silenced yet XT is a hard-fork implementation of bitcoin when certain conditions are met. Some time down the road.

Therefore XT should not be silenced.

Currently (as of right now) XT is Bitcoin as it operates seamlessly with the bitcoin network.

I love the logic fails even by Theymos.  Grin

Sidechains, blockstream, and lightning network are not bitcoin yet they are allowed to be discussed on reddit/r/bitcoin

Is this a case of selective censorship?
Maybe, I don't really know for sure.
Is running x code programmed to change to y code the same as running x code that isn't programmed to change to y code?

Your examples of sidechains etc. run on Bitcoin and don't require forks to Bitcoin if I'm not mistaken. They're kinda like satoshidice maybe?

Yes with certain conditions that would only allow it to change.

Block stream and lightning network are not Bitcoin either yet it is allowed to be discussed.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 11:36:14 AM

From my perspective, that's because, like say, SatoshiDice for example, they run on top of Bitcoin as it is. They're like any other use case of the Bitcoin blockchain.

No comment on the "Yes" but I'm just glad to have learned so much today through all this hubbub. Sleep is now calling my name though.   Take care everyone
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 11:44:11 AM

I think it is not correct because gold is always best investment and it will always grow for longer time. So it is not a good way to compare gold and bitcoin.

OH RLY?

Does gold only go up in price?

Answer: NO

Therefore: Gold is not always best investment

Every commodity traded has its price go up and down making it just an investment not "always the best investment"

I think your new to real investments. Can you prove gold went up to 1000+ and came back to 100+ in so many years of gold trading. You should read my post correctly, I said for long term investment not for short term.
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 11:56:14 AM

I can understand that theymos is in a very difficult spot - he is probably right (in a literal, technical sense) in the assertion that XT as a theory is on topic, but as a viable, downloadable solution it becomes an alt-coin. Until it reaches consensus,

But what troubles me is the zeal with which this policy is still being executed across the platforms. At this point, who really benefits from a suppression of debate?
(bear in mind that we are free to discuss it here and many other topics)

During the fall of the Berlin wall, there was a pivotal moment when the border guards finally recognised the futility of their duty, and allowed people through unchallenged.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1197

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:18:33 PM

Side chains are certainly altcoins.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:24:59 PM

I can understand that theymos is in a very difficult spot - he is probably right (in a literal, technical sense) in the assertion that XT as a theory is on topic, but as a viable, downloadable solution it becomes an alt-coin. Until it reaches consensus,

But what troubles me is the zeal with which this policy is still being executed across the platforms. At this point, who really benefits from a suppression of debate?

During the fall of the Berlin wall, there was a pivotal moment when the border guards finally recognised the futility of their duty, and allowed people through unchallenged.

Way out of the mess: Core adds a largeblock patch, different from gavins but who cares. Other XT patches are delayed to make them look important.

If not, they go the way of the Xfree86 developers - into the fog.

Next fight is over the name. I suggest renaming XT to core by april depending on 75% supermajority as expressed by just doing it. Smiley

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:25:48 PM

Maybe in your universe.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:27:31 PM

Yeah and they don't run on top of Bitcoin. They run parallel like any other alt coin.

Yet once again it is okay to discuss side chains on reddit? Lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:29:07 PM

Maybe in your universe.

Lol how are they not?

They are essentially watered down versions of Bitcoin lol with a separate block chain.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 12:29:53 PM

Way out of the mess: Core adds a largeblock patch, different from gavins but who cares. Othere XT patches are delayed to make them look important.

Next fight is over the name. I suggest renaming XT to core by april depending on 75% supermajority as expressed by just doing it. Smiley

It would have to follow a BIP. But isnt this scenario what MH and GA wanted all along?  The failure to get this resulted in XT.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:32:20 PM

Maybe in your universe.

Lol how are they not?

They are essentially watered down versions of Bitcoin lol with a separate block chain.

They're not necessarily watered down, they might be concentrated, or some of both, who knows. But either way they are quite literally altcoins that are backed by Bitcoin. That makes them both altcoins and applications of Bitcoin both.

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 12:32:52 PM

Maybe in your universe.

Lol how are they not?

Side chains are implemented on top of bitcoin - they dont directly change the underlying protocol, only interact with it - like a wallet would.

However, some changes to core are required to support certain sidechain proposals.  

Edit:  Actually, when you tke into account the tokens for using sidechains ( eth, factoids, etc.) then, yeah, the lines really do begin to blur. Maybe call it alt-coin-lite? Grin

Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:33:49 PM

Way out of the mess: Core adds a largeblock patch, different from gavins but who cares. Othere XT patches are delayed to make them look important.

It would have to follow a BIP. But isnt this scenario what MH and GA wanted all along?  The failure to get this resulted in XT.

Exactly. It is the way out, no fork, everybody is happy (some just a tad butthurt).

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:39:14 PM

Maybe in your universe.

Lol how are they not?

They're not necessarily watered down, they might be concentrated, or some of both, who knows. But either way they are quite literally altcoins that are backed by Bitcoin. That makes them both altcoins and applications of Bitcoin both.

Watered down as in the amount of hash rate keeping the chain secure is less than the main chain. Pretty sure that fits an accurate description of side chains being watered down version of Bitcoin.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:53:03 PM

https://twitter.com/jgarzik/status/632877777688006656

Quote from: Jeff Garzik
Based on public statements and/or in-coinbase BIP 100 miner voting, over 80% of #bitcoin hashpower supports blocks larger than 1MB.

ed: Roger Ver XT endorsement

https://mobile.twitter.com/rogerkver/status/632866706864652288

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 01:18:19 PM

Maybe in your universe.

Lol how are they not?

Watered down as in the amount of hash rate keeping the chain secure is less than the main chain. Pretty sure that fits an accurate description of side chains being watered down version of Bitcoin.

Yes I agree with that. I thought you meant feature-wise, although that doesn't even make sense because obviously most side chains are going to want to add features otherwise there is no point.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 01:19:54 PM

I combined the Sickpig's idea that the block size limit is a transport limitation that crept into the consensus layer, with Smooth's observation that the Bitcoin white paper never mentions a block size limit, and rolled it into a toned-down version of the "moderators-throwing-their-swords" story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3h73ws/the_morning_after_the_moderation_mistake_thoughts/

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:05:57 PM

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3h7dgl/there_is_no_fork_new_bitcoin_comic_strip/

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:16:16 PM

^ great art!
Pages: « 1 ... 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 [1535] 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: