Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:25:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 07:14:41 PM

The number one reason is power for price. Apple products are insanely expensive compared to what I can put together on my own. I can build it faster, cheaper, more efficient, and have fun in the process. I realize this method isn't for everyone. And I'm mainly talking about desktops. I don't often purchase laptops because it's not something one normally builds themselves. If I need portable, I'm comfortable with something smaller and cheaper. Spending less money on technology that improves constantly allows me to justify upgrading to better components more often. There is no way I could tell myself that it's OK to spend $1500+ on a new computer every year or two.

The second reason is control over what I own. Whether it be hardware or software, Apple is not friendly when it comes to allowing me to make changes that I desire. Perhaps this has changed recently, but from my past experience, I don't want to be locked in to what Apple thinks is best for me.

The third reason is compatibility with the rest of the computing world. I like options when I want to buy something and don't want to find out that Apple doesn't support this device or software. Perhaps this has improved recently as well, but the bad taste from my past experience remains.

That said, Apple certainly has nice, sleek looking products. I guess I'm more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

yeah, certainly can't argue with any of those good points.  i wish to move over to Ubuntu and cheaper laptops and dislike the Apple strategy and expense.  i just figured out that Youtube is a great way to learn linux and plan on utilizing that resource much more.  my only sticking point though has to do with that MagicPad.  i've pretty much moved over to laptop use at home and need an exquisite trackpad for my newsletter for marking up charts, etc.  does anyone know of a higher end linux laptop vendor that makes anything close to the MagicPad?  how about these guys?:  https://www.system76.com/laptops

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 06:37:30 AM

Why not get the stand alone Bluetooth magicpad.. Should be compatible with most OS'es
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:51:39 AM

here's a nice chart.  from:  http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-16/guest-post-two-charts-you-should-see-risking-dime-market-2013

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 03:16:02 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2012, 05:20:20 PM by paraipan

Heard the news?

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/trading-over-counter-gold-and-silver-be-illegal-beginning-july-15 old news

Date: Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Subject: Important Account Notice Re: Metals Trading
To: xxx
Important Account Notice Re: Metals Trading

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 03:26:34 PM

Heard the news?

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/trading-over-counter-gold-and-silver-be-illegal-beginning-july-15

Date: Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Subject: Important Account Notice Re: Metals Trading
To: xxx
Important Account Notice Re: Metals Trading

We wanted to make you aware of some upcoming changes to FOREX.com’s product offering. As a result of the Dodd-Frank Act enacted by US Congress, a new regulation prohibiting US residents from trading over the counter precious metals, including gold and silver, will go into effect on Friday, July 15, 2011.
In conjunction with this new regulation, FOREX.com must discontinue metals trading for US residents on Friday, July 15, 2011 at the close of trading at 5pm ET. As a result, all open metals positions must be closed by July 15, 2011 at 5pm ET.
We encourage you to wind down your trading activity in these products over the next month in anticipation of the new rule, as any open XAU or XAG positions that remain open prior to July 15, 2011 at approximately 5:00 pm ET will be automatically liquidated.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience complying with the new U.S. regulation may cause you. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our customer service team.
Sincerely,
The Team at FOREX.com   
huh ?

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:48:58 PM

huh ?

Old news, damn, I didn't see the date  Undecided

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:56:14 PM

oh, btw, this is just another example of DEFLATION coming to Apple prices.

Maybe. I prefer to hope that people are just realizing that Apple sucks as a company and their products suck as well.

I have no idea how they got as big as they are selling such horrible crap. I guess there is a huge market of idiots that pay too much for inferior products. Sad

I have a Mac. It has been a very nice computer, I have been using it for several years. The problem I am now running into is that some programs are only available for the most recent version of the Mac. (like bitcoin-qt). So I am no longer able to upgrade the programs which I have, and a couple programs I wanted to add to my computer I was unable to add. Overall, my computer still works, but when I do get around to upgrading to a new computer, my next computer will probably be running linux.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:06:08 PM

Maybe. I prefer to hope that people are just realizing that Apple sucks as a company and their products suck as well.

I have no idea how they got as big as they are selling such horrible crap. I guess there is a huge market of idiots that pay too much for inferior products. Sad

I have a Mac. It has been a very nice computer, I have been using it for several years. The problem I am now running into is that some programs are only available for the most recent version of the Mac. (like bitcoin-qt). So I am no longer able to upgrade the programs which I have, and a couple programs I wanted to add to my computer I was unable to add. Overall, my computer still works, but when I do get around to upgrading to a new computer, my next computer will probably be running linux.

i think this may happen to me as well but i'm still looking for a linux laptop with a nice trackpad.  so no one here has tried out a System 76?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 09:02:39 PM

...  Overall, my computer still works, but when I do get around to upgrading to a new computer, my next computer will probably be running linux.

i think this may happen to me as well but i'm still looking for a linux laptop with a nice trackpad.  so no one here has tried out a System 76?

Switching from [win|mac|linux] to [win|mac|linux] is a bitch if one is familiar mostly with the original.  If you guys are prepared for some annoyances and have researched that what you absolutely _need_ to do is do-able under Linux then there is a fair chance that at the end of the day (or the end of next year) you'll be enjoying benefits which you might not even ever really know about.

In my case I don't normally used any of the three aforementioned OS's.  The OS I use is unpleasant to the point of usability for most people, but I've been using it for a decade and understand it pretty well which is _the_ factor in making it work for me.  I actually find the latest Ubuntu distros to be even less intuitive and more annoying than Windows.  I still choose Ubuntu over Windows when I can because the tools I like are available if one digs deeply enough and with enough effort it can be modified to work in the ways I like.  And, of course, I trust the security more.  I use Windows more than normal lately since there are some things which are simply not realistically available under my preferred OS's.  I studiously avoid doing anything of real importance on my Windows laptop, however, and would not even consider putting a decent sized wallet on it.  I don't even log on to my bank account from it.

Anyway, good luck in your adventures.  If you are prepared for some amount of trade-off and some amount of head-scratching then there is every reason to believe that it will be a good move.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:53:10 AM

Almost any laptop these days run linux so you can buy one and drop windows.  Search "Ubuntu <mfg> <model> <#>".  Like this: Ubuntu dell inspiron 5720.  And you'll get this: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201202-10403/  You may even manage to get a refund, but the volumes & the $ mfgs receive for preloading adware and crapware tend to cancel out any extra cost.

I run Ubuntu/Fedora/Mint/Redhat native on my daily dev 6 core AMD desktop and am stuck running Win on my quad core, 8 thread laptop because I need to use Webex.  But this machine can run 4 simultaneous Linux virtual machine instances (to execute simulations of the sort of tightly coupled distributed systems used in telecom networks).  [BTW, a virtual machine is a complete OS running inside a window (or full screen) of another OS].  You might consider using virtual machines instead of a different laptop just because its really nice to be able to pop from OS to OS.  Run isolated linux virtual machines for your wallet and/or trading software and don't install anything else on them.  And its a way to dip your toe into the linux world without having to lug around two laptops.  See www.virtualbox.org for the software needed.

PM me if you need some purchasing advice.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 05:09:39 AM

Almost any laptop these days run linux so you can buy one and drop windows.  Search "Ubuntu <mfg> <model> <#>".  Like this: Ubuntu dell inspiron 5720.  And you'll get this: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201202-10403/  You may even manage to get a refund, but the volumes & the $ mfgs receive for preloading adware and crapware tend to cancel out any extra cost.

I run Ubuntu/Fedora/Mint/Redhat native on my daily dev 6 core AMD desktop and am stuck running Win on my quad core, 8 thread laptop because I need to use Webex.  But this machine can run 4 simultaneous Linux virtual machine instances (to execute simulations of the sort of tightly coupled distributed systems used in telecom networks).  [BTW, a virtual machine is a complete OS running inside a window (or full screen) of another OS].  You might consider using virtual machines instead of a different laptop just because its really nice to be able to pop from OS to OS.  Run isolated linux virtual machines for your wallet and/or trading software and don't install anything else on them.  And its a way to dip your toe into the linux world without having to lug around two laptops.  See www.virtualbox.org for the software needed.

great ideas.  i'm actually running both Win 7 and Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro inside VMWare Fusion.  slow as heck though cuz i only got 8G RAM.  it is a great way to do it though.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 04:24:47 PM

Gold down; Bitcoin stable.  Cheesy
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:27:12 PM

I do it the other way around: VirtualBoxes are great to run windows apps (db servers, IE test clients,...). You can make snapshots, so when windows (or you) fuck(s) up, you can just go back Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:40:59 PM

Gold collapsing; Bitcoin about to launch.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:56:38 PM

silverbox,

you said you're getting ready to buy right about here, correct?  keep us updated:

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 07:39:20 PM

the world is ending and gold is Crashing Huh just wait till the world doesn't end  Shocked!

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:16:10 PM

since silverbox seems to be MIA, here's his update:

Gold:  -1.5%

Bitcoin:  +146%

GPL:  -21%

closed out my GG and SLW shorts (too soon!) for over 20% gain.

+147.5% Advantage Bitcoin
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:15:22 PM

Boom
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:32:42 PM

Gold collapsing; Bitcoin about to launch.

While neither gold nor Bitcoin has been a bastion of stability over the last year or two, Bitcoin seems to be significantly more volatile.  This is, of course, completely unsurprising (to me at least.)  Gold's performance has neither helped no hurt me recently.  I would neither have bought nor sold gold no matter what it's performance.  Same with Bitcoin.

I've thought (incorrectly) that gold was 'about to launch' for going on a year now.  In spite of it's failure to do so, I suspect very little chance of a significant crash.  As for Bitcoin, I've always anticipated more chance that it will 'collapse' than that it will 'take off'.  The fact that it has done neither (to my specifications) is actually a pretty promising development.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:39:27 PM

Gold collapsing, Bitcoin up.
Pages: « 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: