Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:35:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301223 times)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 11:42:19 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2015, 12:06:35 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Looking at it from the front, in the s4, which board is which chain?
One of my original B2 s4's is acting up and finally failed in a manner that kept the controller/GUI accessible. Says that chain 3 is all ----------
Cheers!

Someone made a text diagram early on in this thread but I can't find it, and my S4 is probably different to most as it was an early one. The dead board might be highlighted by no LED activity though, worth a look.
Tried that. At least for the versions that used PCIe power connectors like this one, there are no LED's on the boards. There *is* a row of very tiny ones on the controller board that could serve the same functions but is no way these eyes can see what they are labeled.

As usual after it has gone down, after a power down and short rest it again came back up at full speed. The 2 other times it went down the controller was dead - no lan plug lights, no blinking CPU light, no red light.

To cover other questions, all fans are fine, free spinning, no axial play to the blades. Temps 55-59c (room is 90F). Psu light is green.

Here is the Board Diagnostics it shows which port should be chain 3 in one of it's diagrams - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

When it say's the row 3 all with"-"s does it run at 1.5T area?   Or is it not running at all during this time?
Thanks! I'l check that on Mon when I get back to work. Very good pic of the controller board at that link showing which connector is what chain.
Assuming it goes offline again that is. I reseated the PCIe plugs & dropped it to stock speed late Fri and it's still ticking along per Pool reporting. Und ja when chain 3 went out speed dropped proportionately. Before asked, the highest I OC to is 218.75mHz due to PSU limits.

When this started going south last Thursday, the 1st 2 times it died in both cases the red Fault light on front was lit and controller was unresponsive to ssh or web access. Odd thing is - in both cases the LCD display was lit and showing results from its last update: full speed and temps in the low 60c range. All fans sounded like running at normal speeds. Both those things suggest the PSU is/was working fine.

This 3rd incident was the first time it stayed alive enough to get an inkling of what was up.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 03:01:30 AM

Looking at it from the front, in the s4, which board is which chain?
One of my original B2 s4's is acting up and finally failed in a manner that kept the controller/GUI accessible. Says that chain 3 is all ----------
Cheers!

Someone made a text diagram early on in this thread but I can't find it, and my S4 is probably different to most as it was an early one. The dead board might be highlighted by no LED activity though, worth a look.
Tried that. At least for the versions that used PCIe power connectors like this one, there are no LED's on the boards. There *is* a row of very tiny ones on the controller board that could serve the same functions but is no way these eyes can see what they are labeled.

As usual after it has gone down, after a power down and short rest it again came back up at full speed. The 2 other times it went down the controller was dead - no lan plug lights, no blinking CPU light, no red light.

To cover other questions, all fans are fine, free spinning, no axial play to the blades. Temps 55-59c (room is 90F). Psu light is green.

Here is the Board Diagnostics it shows which port should be chain 3 in one of it's diagrams - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

When it say's the row 3 all with"-"s does it run at 1.5T area?   Or is it not running at all during this time?
Thanks! I'l check that on Mon when I get back to work. Very good pic of the controller board at that link showing which connector is what chain.
Assuming it goes offline again that is. I reseated the PCIe plugs & dropped it to stock speed late Fri and it's still ticking along per Pool reporting. Und ja when chain 3 went out speed dropped proportionately. Before asked, the highest I OC to is 218.75mHz due to PSU limits.

When this started going south last Thursday, the 1st 2 times it died in both cases the red Fault light on front was lit and controller was unresponsive to ssh or web access. Odd thing is - in both cases the LCD display was lit and showing results from its last update: full speed and temps in the low 60c range. All fans sounded like running at normal speeds. Both those things suggest the PSU is/was working fine.

This 3rd incident was the first time it stayed alive enough to get an inkling of what was up.

Not a problem, hope it helps some.   I'm hoping the PSU is still good since it sounds like one chain only.    

It is a little hard to tell as it almost has 2 different things your fighting.   One with it not firing up would make me want to possibly look at the controller and software - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203545769-Blank-LCD-Screen

But the other side is if it boot's up and just chain 3 stay's dead it leads me to think possibly that board could have died or problem specific to it.

I would try to run it once you get time and see which side it goes more to.  
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:48:46 PM

Bitmain or Dogie

Underclocking a S4 - Is there a firmware coming out to allow us to adjust the voltage on the S4 so we can undervolt & underclock the S4 to 481w

There need to be a bit more life left in the old S4 yet & this will only be achieved by underclocking..

If so how much longer do we need to wait??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 12:32:46 AM

Bitmain or Dogie

Underclocking a S4 - Is there a firmware coming out to allow us to adjust the voltage on the S4 so we can undervolt & underclock the S4 to 481w

There need to be a bit more life left in the old S4 yet & this will only be achieved by underclocking..

You can make a ticket with Bitmain Support here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

The voltage changing was removed.  It was allowed in early firmware.  I personally do not have the knowledge of if it will be brought back but a ticket is a good way to find out if they currently have plans for it.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 02:44:35 AM

Bitmain or Dogie

Nothing to stop you loading some of the older firmwares if you need to undervolt now. New firmware could be a week out, or it could be many many weeks out. Just don't wait up for it.

lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 11:57:05 AM

Bitmain or Dogie

Nothing to stop you loading some of the older firmwares if you need to undervolt now. New firmware could be a week out, or it could be many many weeks out. Just don't wait up for it.

Ok can u confirm which firmware the underclocking will be available on??

And how do we know what voltages will work with what feq??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 07:07:56 PM

Bitmain or Dogie

I don't remember specifically but maybe 2014 10 16. There maybe a frequency / voltage table someone has made in another thread but your best bet is setting the frequency you want, then see how low you can get the voltage but keep the chips stable. That point may be different unit to unit and will only take about an hour to find.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:14:46 PM

Bitmain or Dogie

I don't remember specifically but maybe 2014 10 16. There maybe a frequency / voltage table someone has made in another thread but your best bet is setting the frequency you want, then see how low you can get the voltage but keep the chips stable. That point may be different unit to unit and will only take about an hour to find.

I have some on old firmware initramfs.bin.SD-20141003 firmware has the frequency / voltage.   I'm not recommending you use it as it's not in current firmware.  But if you go back that far that is where it is.
FUTURAMA

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:27:35 AM

two fans of my s4 burned.  Cry

would that fans recommend me buy?  Huh
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:31:09 AM

two fans of my s4 burned.  Cry

would that fans recommend me buy?  Huh

Sorry to hear about it Sad

But here is a great article for fans on S4 - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans
chentron

Activity: 97
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 07:13:30 PM

there is a firmware from jsmit that support modify voltaje and frequency values.
You can get from nicehash website.
It works stable for me.

Bitmain or Dogie

I have some on old firmware initramfs.bin.SD-20141003 firmware has the frequency / voltage.   I'm not recommending you use it as it's not in current firmware.  But if you go back that far that is where it is.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 06:44:27 AM

@FUTURAMA,

What country or the area are you in?  If in USA or some EU area, there may have a few OEM fans available for sale.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
FUTURAMA

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 09:08:06 PM

@FUTURAMA,

What country or the area are you in?  If in USA or some EU area, there may have a few OEM fans available for sale.

@BitmainWarranty

I don't currently live in United States, but if you have some fans for S4 Antminer for sale, I can buy them with BTC and send them to my mailbox in miami.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 09:16:23 PM

@FUTURAMA,

@BitmainWarranty

I don't currently live in United States, but if you have some fans for S4 Antminer for sale, I can buy them with BTC and send them to my mailbox in miami.

I suggest submit a ticket or email asking.  They are very quick/good support team. - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us  Or shoot a email to -  info@bitmaintech.com

If they have OEM fans for sale I'm sure shipping to your Miami mailbox is not a problem.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 11:47:36 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2015, 11:58:35 PM by dmwardjr

@FUTURAMA,

What country or the area are you in?  If in USA or some EU area, there may have a few OEM fans available for sale.

@BitmainWarranty

I suggest submit a ticket or email asking.  They are very quick/good support team. - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us  Or shoot a email to -  info@bitmaintech.com

If they have OEM fans for sale I'm sure shipping to your Miami mailbox is not a problem.

If you are no longer in warranty, these fans have worked great for me.  I've had 5 fans total go out on me in my S4's.  I've replaced all 5 with the following fan and it works great:

That container it's in can be taken off of course before installing.  Free Shipping...  I've bought a total of 15 more of these fans for spares.  I've thought about replacing all of the factory fans in my SP20's with these fans.  They really are beasts.  SERIOUSLY!!!  Plus, they have the RPM's and CFM you need for the S4.  Especially, in the Miami heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqc72EOuteU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZL7lVcKhmA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ18UDA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
wajiminer

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:52:48 AM

Just had a storm and the power went out, the s4 was plugged into an 240v outlet.

When I plug the power cord in, before I even try to power on the miner, clicking starts to come out of the power supply, almost like morse code.

When I try to power it on, it comes on for a second, the fans start to spin then it powers off and starts to click again.

Any ideas?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:07:59 AM

Just had a storm and the power went out, the s4 was plugged into an 240v outlet.

When I plug the power cord in, before I even try to power on the miner, clicking starts to come out of the power supply, almost like morse code.

When I try to power it on, it comes on for a second, the fans start to spin then it powers off and starts to click again.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU indicator leds show when it's turning on?
wajiminer

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:31:06 AM

Any ideas?

Nothing, the LCD flashes on for a second and then it turns off
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 04:58:55 AM

Any ideas?

Normally with LCD flash or not showing I would say to check connections and sd card making sure its seated well  - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203545769-Blank-LCD-Screen , https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

But I have a feeling this is a psu problem.   The clicking makes me think again think psu as none of mine click or make noise till I press the button that I know of.

Do you have it connected to a PDU or anything between power and it?   Or directly connected to Receptacle?

I would look into those just to make sure nothing simple is causing it.  But I have a feeling it sounds like a PSU problem.  If you go through checking all of those I would then make a ticket over here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and see if they agree on PSU, and see about RMA on
wajiminer

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:16:11 PM

Any ideas?

Normally with LCD flash or not showing I would say to check connections and sd card making sure its seated well  - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203545769-Blank-LCD-Screen , https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

But I have a feeling this is a psu problem.   The clicking makes me think again think psu as none of mine click or make noise till I press the button that I know of.

Do you have it connected to a PDU or anything between power and it?   Or directly connected to Receptacle?

I would look into those just to make sure nothing simple is causing it.  But I have a feeling it sounds like a PSU problem.  If you go through checking all of those I would then make a ticket over here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and see if they agree on PSU, and see about RMA on

Its connected directly to the receptacle
Pages: « 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: