Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:49:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
hewer

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:25:17 AM

I have an antminer S4. It powers u p but does not connect or hash.

Here is what happens when I turn on the power.

1) Fans power up at high speed. The screen has power, but no text. Green LED next to screen is lit.
2) Fans power to a lower speed. Screen is still lit, but no text. Green LED turns off.
3) the word "Antminer-" appears on the screen
4) The 4 line screen display comes on line. Green LED is not lit.
5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

The green light next to the display does not come on either.

6) this is as far as the boot process goes. It never acquires an IP address, or start to hash.

Steps I have taken to troubleshoot:

1) check the ethernet cable, power cable, connection. I swapped in a functioning S4, and it powers up and connects to the internet and hashes.

2) Swapped the microSD chip from a functioning S4 with the chip from the non-hashing S4. Same results, Powers up but does not hash (no change in other words)

3) checked all cable connections. all appear good.

4) checked the voltage at the power leads to the board with a multimeter. Reads 25 V

5) Used a port scanner on my network before and after powering the Antminer. There are no new connections.

Can you please suggest additional troubleshooting steps?

With working S4's did you try to switch PSU and see if that does the difference?    PSU's sadly have not been the greatest in some units.

I will have to give that a shot.

I don't have extras, but I can swap one out from another machine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:26:38 AM

1) Fans power up at high speed. The screen has power, but no text. Green LED next to screen is lit.
2) Fans power to a lower speed. Screen is still lit, but no text. Green LED turns off.
5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

6) this is as far as the boot process goes. It never acquires an IP address, or start to hash.

1) check the ethernet cable, power cable, connection. I swapped in a functioning S4, and it powers up and connects to the internet and hashes.

2) Swapped the microSD chip from a functioning S4 with the chip from the non-hashing S4. Same results, Powers up but does not hash (no change in other words)

4) checked the voltage at the power leads to the board with a multimeter. Reads 25 V

5) Used a port scanner on my network before and after powering the Antminer. There are no new connections.

With working S4's did you try to switch PSU and see if that does the difference?    PSU's sadly have not been the greatest in some units.

He said he measured 24v though.
IT is DC correct? Is it the PCI connectors or lugs?
Did you check each plug?

I would have thought SD card until you said you tried one from a functioning unit. It obviously isn't getting an IP if all voltages are present.
So then it would have to be the beaglebone itself, maybe the SDcard port?
Or, something as simple as the CAT5 cable or the port on your switch?

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:38:13 AM

5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

With working S4's did you try to switch PSU and see if that does the difference?    PSU's sadly have not been the greatest in some units.

Did you check each plug?

I would have thought SD card until you said you tried one from a functioning unit. It obviously isn't getting an IP if all voltages are present.

By changing out PSU with working one he does not have to check each plug or connector.  Its quick and pretty easy.  The BB chances are is working or chances lcd would be blank and he also checked cables.  

He mentioned he checked ethernet cable so this would be the CAT5.  Although swapping it to test again is not a horrible idea.  

I would make sure SD card again to make sure to eliminate software issues.  If swap again make sure it's completely seated.  But checking PSU again I think would be worthwhile.  What leds are on the PSU when you turn it on and with it not hashing? 
hewer

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:22:48 AM

5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

Did you check each plug?

By changing out PSU with working one he does not have to check each plug or connector.  Its quick and pretty easy.  The BB chances are is working or chances lcd would be blank and he also checked cables. 

He mentioned he checked ethernet cable so this would be the CAT5.  Although swapping it to test again is not a horrible idea.   

I would make sure SD card again to make sure to eliminate software issues.  If swap again make sure it's completely seated.  But checking PSU again I think would be worthwhile.  What leds are on the PSU when you turn it on and with it not hashing? 

Sorry for the confusion folks. Typo.

The voltage at all 4 boards (the lugs) is 12.0 V 

The voltage at the pci-e connector is 11.98 V

Ethernet cables have been swapped also. No change. Swapped ports, and even swapped out the switch. Also other machines work on the same port, and the same switch and same ethernet cable works just fine.

I was thinking about swapping out the beagleboard (with one from a working machine) and see if that is the issue.  Never done that, but should not be that difficult. Can it? Although it looks like I have to pop out the power supply to get to the beaglebone.
sloopy

Activity: 700

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:21:28 AM

Yes, you have the beagle to try, and you can try each hashing board alone.

I did miss where you mentioned the network cable had been swapped, and hey if you swapped ports with a functioning miner you know it isn't that side of things.

When swapping parts, especially control boards - you must have the backups saved to the disk.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
HYIP.Net

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 08:53:17 PM

Antminer S4 is very noisy. Is there a way to make them silent? Any super silent fans/model for it? What do you recommend?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:53:29 PM

Antminer S4 is very noisy. Is there a way to make them silent? Any super silent fans/model for it? What do you recommend?

It get's hot so I would not just switch fan's.  Most likely you would need to underclock and switch fan's to get it quiter.

It was in no way meant to be a quiet machine though, it was made for hashing power.
Digitalmocking

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:39:12 AM

Yes, find a good hosting provider and send it there.

Then its silent. :p
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 05:07:51 AM

Yes, find a good hosting provider and send it there.

Then its silent. :p

Or have a workshop with a second floor Smiley.  I have a lot of fan's louder then any of the miners going and it's silent to me Smiley unless I go from house to workshop.

Or if i bring up security I can hear Smiley.  But I normally have it on mute as far as noise.
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 10:40:39 PM

5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

Are you solo mining?  Change your miners ip in network settings to 192.168.1.200 or anything after 200 (if the ip of your router is 192.168.1.1).  If you can't pull it up in the browser ( ie 127.0.0.1 ) try a factory reset that will change the ip to 192.168.1.99.  You then need to re input your pool settngs.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 11:17:54 PM

5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

Are you solo mining?  Change your miners ip in network settings to 192.168.1.200 or anything after 200 (if the ip of your router is 192.168.1.1).  If you can't pull it up in the browser ( ie 127.0.0.1 ) try a factory reset that will change the ip to 192.168.1.99.  You then need to re input your pool settngs.

You won't be able to connect to 127.0.0.1 shown on it from pc.  It is localhost Smiley   Also he switched SD cards with working one so that should have been as good as reset.   

We have not heard from him for a few day's so I'm hoping he got it to work.
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:35:31 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2015, 04:47:11 AM by lovenlifelarge

Ck or Dogie or anyone, Can someone explain how to use the Sept 26th Firmware with Cgminer 4.9 with extra nonce?

Installing thru ssh to make sure it stays put thru a reboot???

I wanna be able to use the first firmware with the latest miner so i can use voltage control to downclock my miner.

Also what firmware was voltage disabled?

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:46:18 AM

Ck or Dogie or anyone, Can someone explain how to use the Sept 26th Firmware with Cgminer 4.9 with extra nonce?

I wanna be able to use the first firmware with the latest miner so i can use voltage control to downclock my miner.

I don't believe Bitmain has made a firmware that supports extra nonce.   It is something very few use.

Chances are your looking for nicehash and the firmware they custom made to support it.   I don't know of an official one with it from  Bitmain.
Meech

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:54:15 AM

If this is for the S4 then go here  https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660  and download this :  initramfs.bin.SD-20141016.tar.gz
It was the last firmware that allowed underclocking  (Oct. 16th 2014).  Go to your gui and navigate to the Miner Configuration tab then the Advanced tab.  At the bottom you can search for where you downloaded the firmware and upload it to the S4.  Miner may reset and when it comes back you may need to reconfigure your pools.  Here gives you some predetermined underclocks  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=796839.0  it's the beginning of this thread pg. 1.  No need to ssh into it as long as you have a windows computer.
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3499

born once atheist

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:11:47 PM

Can anyone tell me how long you can run an S4 for continuously before needing to do any type of maintainence? And if so what should be done? . Besides a couple of brief downtimes my S4 (batch 7) has been pretty much mining  now for almost 4 months  flawlessly at around 46- 48 degrees centigrade.   Thanx.

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:33:11 PM

Can anyone tell me how long you can run an S4 for continuously before needing to do any type of maintainence? And if so what should be done? . Besides a couple of brief downtimes my S4 (batch 7) has been pretty much mining  now for almost 4 months  flawlessly at around 46- 48 degrees centigrade.   Thanx.

There is not a set time.  I mean I have seen 30 day's on them before.  And also seen a couple of day's when PSU needed reset.

Only way you can prevent is if a softreset can fix it and you have a program mongering it.  But some do take a person to reset which there is not a easy way around.
Meech

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:10:31 PM

A good reset once in awhile will clear logged info and clear up some cache but other than dusting them off..... let them run!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:37:51 PM

A good reset once in awhile will clear logged info and clear up some cache but other than dusting them off..... let them run!

And if you ever see a fan with 0 RPM replace it.  So far only had that happen once.  But it's something you can tell remote.
nicehash
Legendary

Activity: 885
Merit: 1006

NiceHash.com

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 01:20:22 PM

Hi,

If anyone is interested, there is a 4 BTC AntMiner firmware job posted: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1134751.0

Kind regards,
NiceHash

lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:17:00 AM

If this is for the S4 then go here  https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660  and download this :  initramfs.bin.SD-20141016.tar.gz
It was the last firmware that allowed underclocking  (Oct. 16th 2014).  Go to your gui and navigate to the Miner Configuration tab then the Advanced tab.  At the bottom you can search for where you downloaded the firmware and upload it to the S4.  Miner may reset and when it comes back you may need to reconfigure your pools.  Here gives you some predetermined underclocks  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=796839.0  it's the beginning of this thread pg. 1.  No need to ssh into it as long as you have a windows computer.

Underclocks on that page don't work!

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
Pages: « 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: