Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:15:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:20:20 PM

I am thinking why not we get an open source mmorpg and integrate real DVC payments, this will be interesting as the players will be earning real life money something like Second Life.

"Something like Second Life" is in work. I suggest to become familiar with http://opensimulator.org.

Any progress on the Howto for cloning Namecoin?
Interesting. What do you mean by 'progress on the Howto for cloning Namecoin?'

He offered up a bounty for someone to write a Namecoin-cloning tutorial.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 09:26:01 PM

I am thinking why not we get an open source mmorpg and integrate real DVC payments, this will be interesting as the players will be earning real life money something like Second Life.

"Something like Second Life" is in work. I suggest to become familiar with http://opensimulator.org.

That is awesome! I'd love it if we could get a game together that works with DVC. That could definitely bring some value to the coins.

See http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=galactic_milieu

For OpenSim regions, search for Digitalis on OSgrid. I actually have/had not just some regions with Digitalis in the name but also some generic names among the block of 29 or so regions I was running when testing how much resources it actually takes to run regions. Like Garden Centre, Adult Shopping Centre, Welcome Centre, Avatar Centre and so on, fresh out of the OAR file examples of Linda Kelly free open source regions. currently many of the regions that were up some days ago are down due to load problems; some of Linda's OARs ended up eating 100% of a core each, for example, even when no one was anywhere near them, just constant 24/7 load.

Even if we fudge a little, referring to 1024 metres by 1024 metres (a 4x4 square made up of sixteen regions) as a "square mile", and scale our Freeciv maps as if the tiles were only 100 kiliometers by 100 kilometres instead of 100 miles or more by 100 miles or more, it takes a heck of a lot of Open Simulator regions to represent at full scale even just one Freeciv planet... So the dynamic loading of regions as players enter regions adjacent to them will be really useful if the service that currently has that, based on Amazon instances, as closed source code ever actually opens their code or the community ends up re-inventing that wheel due to that service not getting around soon enough to releasing it.

We have been working on the idea of taking the so called "square miles" that Freeciv says a civilisation has and using that figure as the basis for hosting fees for hosting civilisations, but the scale, so many regions per square mile multiplied by so many square miles, still makes a massive gap even though that "square miles" reported by Freeciv does not seem to really include every square mile of every tile you control. (It is less than you'd get by figuring each tile is only 10,000 square kilometres, that is 100km by 100km, and counted every square kilometre of each tile that is within the civilisation's borders.)

The gap is that between how much it would cost if the entire civilisation was all fully ready for OpenSimulator players to walk into/over any part of it, compared to how much it would cost if all that was actually implemented was the Freeciv server running the planet the civilisation is located on...

...Plus of course details such as whether each and every market, bank and stock exchange's trading has an Open Transactions server representing/implementing it on detailed scale or whether merely each city that as a market and/or bank and/or stock exchange uses just one Open Transactions server to present all such services available in that city, or even just each civilisations has just one Open Transactions server representing all such services available in any city of that civilisation...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:10:01 PM

That is awesome! I'd love it if we could get a game together that works with DVC. That could definitely bring some value to the coins.

See http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=galactic_milieu

For OpenSim regions, search for Digitalis on OSgrid. I actually have/had not just some regions with Digitalis in the name but also some generic names among the block of 29 or so regions I was running when testing how much resources it actually takes to run regions. Like Garden Centre, Adult Shopping Centre, Welcome Centre, Avatar Centre and so on, fresh out of the OAR file examples of Linda Kelly free open source regions. currently many of the regions that were up some days ago are down due to load problems; some of Linda's OARs ended up eating 100% of a core each, for example, even when no one was anywhere near them, just constant 24/7 load.

Even if we fudge a little, referring to 1024 metres by 1024 metres (a 4x4 square made up of sixteen regions) as a "square mile", and scale our Freeciv maps as if the tiles were only 100 kiliometers by 100 kilometres instead of 100 miles or more by 100 miles or more, it takes a heck of a lot of Open Simulator regions to represent at full scale even just one Freeciv planet... So the dynamic loading of regions as players enter regions adjacent to them will be really useful if the service that currently has that, based on Amazon instances, as closed source code ever actually opens their code or the community ends up re-inventing that wheel due to that service not getting around soon enough to releasing it.

We have been working on the idea of taking the so called "square miles" that Freeciv says a civilisation has and using that figure as the basis for hosting fees for hosting civilisations, but the scale, so many regions per square mile multiplied by so many square miles, still makes a massive gap even though that "square miles" reported by Freeciv does not seem to really include every square mile of every tile you control. (It is less than you'd get by figuring each tile is only 10,000 square kilometres, that is 100km by 100km, and counted every square kilometre of each tile that is within the civilisation's borders.)

The gap is that between how much it would cost if the entire civilisation was all fully ready for OpenSimulator players to walk into/over any part of it, compared to how much it would cost if all that was actually implemented was the Freeciv server running the planet the civilisation is located on...

...Plus of course details such as whether each and every market, bank and stock exchange's trading has an Open Transactions server representing/implementing it on detailed scale or whether merely each city that as a market and/or bank and/or stock exchange uses just one Open Transactions server to present all such services available in that city, or even just each civilisations has just one Open Transactions server representing all such services available in any city of that civilisation...

-MarkM-

I've tried to get on your server in the past but I can't get a client to run properly, Sad. The Java one shows a black screen unless I alt/tab (so it shows previews of windows) in which it will show the true screen until I make it the focus again and then it goes black.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 11:11:09 PM

I've tried to get on your server in the past but I can't get a client to run properly, Sad. The Java one shows a black screen unless I alt/tab (so it shows previews of windows) in which it will show the true screen until I make it the focus again and then it goes black.

Do you mean the CrossCiv server in my sig? If so Crossfire is still very unstable, there is even a certain door that seems to have about a 50% chance of crashing the server when someone opens it. There also seem to be ways of crashing it during character creation. It seems maybe the specific sets of maps most public Crossfire servers us do not, or do not often, find those bugs so in years they still have not been tracked down and fixed.

For years i have been hopiong that the general progress toward elinminating ways in which a mailicious map-designer could design a map capable of crashing a server would eventually fix whatever my particular sets of maps are still managing to find, but no luck with that so far.

Also the link I give for a java based client that in theory browsers could be set up to be able to launch directly from a website is for a daily build, so some days it might work better than others and of course somebrowsers might be wisely set not to run java directly from websites.

Also some distros of some operating systems have quite old versions of Crossfire clients in their installable packages collections, for quite a while because i was using latest sVN to build from no distros at all provided pre-packaged clients up to date enough to work.

It has long ago been pretty firmly refuted that if you build it they will come, so the fact that very few people come via Crossfire clients has, over time, led to support/development effots tending to drift away from that particular set of clients and windows-into-the-Milieu-multiverse to others.

For example CoffeeMUD turned out to be a much more popular doorway, since there are web-based MUD-clients aplenty, compiled MUD clients aplenty for most platforms, and they can be played with just telnet, which presumably any platform that has internet access has in its toolkit.

Right now though you also would find cofeeMUD blocked to you... popularity has its downsides. We are looking into batch sales of player-accounts in order to be able to properly budget servers. You no longer just appear out of no-where and create a character out of nothing, with clothes out of nothing and maybe gear out of nothing, rather your clan or nation or whatever would be buying a batch of 100 or 1000 or whatever user-accounts to divvy up among their members/citizens/whatever as they see fit.

OpenSim though you should find some of our regions currently online on OSgrid, albeit i think the ones online there right now are either unmodified or not much modified linda Kelley OARs no hand-built landscapes with custom new architecture on it there yet.

Then too of course there are web-based systems too, but there too simply allowing random internet passers-by to create whole new villages or planetary mining operations out of nothing had to go, so there you'd first need to get a character on Crossfire or a MUD or some other individual character level of play up to a point where they equipped themselves with enough followers to go found a village or enough space-travel hardware to equip themselves with an intergalactic mining colony ship in order to get into those scales of play.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:15:45 PM

//Removed

Lol, every time I read something about that game I get overwhelmed... I don't quite follow. As a person on Windows 8 that has no idea where to even start, what should we do?

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 11:28:15 PM

Des anybody know the value of each share for round 25 yet?   It's looking like 300,000 coins which is pretty good but that's just a guess on my part.  I wish i would have written a bit more but i was busy with family issues and running a nuggets circus.  TIA.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 11:41:05 PM

// stuff about Galactic Milieu game(s)

Lol, every time I read something about that game I get overwhelmed... I don't quite follow. As a person on Windows 8 that has no idea where to even start, what should we do?

Well maybe you could round up more people who are on Windows 8 and form a Windows Clan or Windows Nation or Eight Clan or Eight Nation or something, or choose among yourselves some nation that is actually implemented in Freeciv as the nation you lot would like to run if you are interested in strategic scales of play. Or you could all get together and enter a MUD server or the Crossfire server aiming to try to get a clan-house set up.

If you all by yourself wander into some rabbit-hole into the game it is not really practical to have staff sitting at computers 24/7 watching waiting ready to hand-hold you, that is why I suggest getting a group/clan/whatever together. A hundred Windows 8 users who can be relied upon either to be 24/7 inhabitants or to regularly hold get-togethers on some specific schedule would make it much more feasible to look into budgeting some kind of support/help/introducer staff to meet with them in whichever rabbit-hole they want to use.

For years and years now the CrossCiv server has been sitting there but it must be at least a year now maybe two since one would see a dozen or two dozen characters on there at once, heck come to think of it it was back before the opportunity to become CEOs of intergalactic mining operations via web-based operations-control interfaces.

In theory/principle those characters are still in their keeps or houses or rooms in the CrossCiv server, using web-browsers to control their intergalactic mining operations.

In practice though over time fewer and fewer players bothered to leave their CrossCiv character online 24/7 so they could chat like one does in IRC, as once they came to know each other individually they tended more and more to use Torchat or gosh knows what else (Yahoo messenger? Google messenger? MSN messenger? Skype?) to communicate with one-another. Heck there is even a message sending capability inside the web-based village-management system and the web-based intergalactic mining operations system.

I guess the Galactic Milieu really takes to an extreme the problem of the larger the universe the players can spread themselves out into the less chance there is of actually encountering another player in whatever locale you yourself happen to wander into. Facilities permitting everyone in the whole unviverse to shout out to everyone in the whole universe have problems too though, especially before the advent of faster than light, multi-galaxies range communications systems. One thing that needs doing over the long term is setting up appropriate economics, like how much would it actually cost on a given planet at a given technology level under a certain government type to make an intergalactic call to a friend, how much to an enemy of the government that is in control of the area you are trying to call out from and so on?

A lot of the opportunity available to traders who actually make the trek to remote places to discover what deals might be findable there vanishes if anyone in any galaxy can instantly look up who on what planet of which galaxy can intergalactic-teleport them a magic sword of the best quality cheapest and fastest...

Yet for bitcointalk users it seems likely the interface they are going to like best will be one in which that is exactly what they can do: find what game offers cheapest what some other game pays the most for and how to ship an appropriate quantity of it out of the one game into the other game at a profit after shipping-expenses...

-MarkM-

Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 01:42:00 AM

I love it that you run your regions, the load is caused by not properly running scripts, no worries same shit happens in SL, there is a way to locate such scripts in a loaded oar.
But i doubt that economy will come to osgrid, they have a strict "no economy" policy. Allso its gonna be not possible to implement that kind of economy without a securing chain working with Hypergrid, thats why the namecoin clone is needed (we definitly dont wonna bloat namecoin)

I dnt run a region in osgrid, i run a grid with regions and megaregions (5x 3.2 ghz + 10 GB Ram), but it is down actualy, since i need the server atm for other purposes. And everything starts to become needed after the Opensimulator Meetup in september.
Not just the owner of the frech grid for example is working with us (unthinkingbit listed ssm on the DVC developers list), if everything goes well there will be economy to.

Do we have good 3d artists here ?

Ah yes and we gonna need, Scripters, Artists, Hosts,Managers, DJ's, Security, Pole Dancers, Hookers, what ever you was in SL you can soon be in OpenSimulator to. Do you imagine how that will boost the DVC economy? grins.

I thank unthinkingbit for making DVC that cheap, its a awesome gift for the hypergrid Wink

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 01:45:43 AM

I love it that you run your regions, the load is caused by not properly running scripts, no worries same shit happens in SL, there is a way to locate such scripts in a loaded oar.
But i doubt that economy will come to osgrid, they have a strict "no economy" policy. Allso its gonna be not possible to implement that kind of economy without a securing chain working with Hypergrid, thats why the namecoin clone is needed (we definitly dont wonna bloat namecoin)

I dnt run a region in osgrid, i run a grid with regions and megaregions (5x 3.2 ghz + 10 GB Ram), but it is down actualy, since i need the server atm for other purposes. And everything starts to become needed after the Opensimulator Meetup in september.
Not just the owner of the frech grid for example is working with us (unthinkingbit listed ssm on the DVC developers list), if everything goes well there will be economy to.

Do we have good 3d artists here ?

Ah yes and we gonna need, Scripters, Artists, Hosts,Managers, DJ's, Security, Pole Dancers, Hookers, what ever you was in SL you can soon be in OpenSimulator to. Do you imagine how that will boost the DVC economy? grins.

I thank unthinkingbit for making DVC that cheap, its a awesome gift for the hypergrid Wink

Wait, so you mean there is really going to be a game where DVC is going to be the currency used within it? If so, that's awesome! I'd love to hear when there's a private Alpha or something we can check out to help iron out bugs, give input, etc.

Icoin

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 01:53:45 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 05:35:19 AM by Icoin

Wait, so you mean there is really going to be a game where DVC is going to be the currency used within it? If so, that's awesome! I'd love to hear when there's a private Alpha or something we can check out to help iron out bugs, give input, etc.

Not just a game, Opensimulator is a SIMULATION same like Second Life. Its far more then just a game since in that Simulation can be played various games.

Markm you run your own regions in osgrid, you gonna be able to hook it to our grid to have economy, since i value you as a trusted person.

SL drove the price of BTC for a long time (30% of the exchanged BTC was in the past years driven by Linden Dollars until the price grew to the actual exchange rate) Do you imagine what it will do to DVC? grins.

SL made a huge mistake back in 2008 by not opening us the transgrid teleportation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45EOma7wDo
According to me SL is, compared to the hypergrid today just a "kindergarten"

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:03:55 AM

It is not really practical to use actual blockchain coins in games.

Rather, one would tend to use either things denominated in devcoins or, even better, things that can be exchanged for devcoins.

The "even better" part is because when some glitch in your game causes players to clone their stuff, such as can happen in so many games, it is not good for the survival of the game for the game operators to have to redeem all those cloned coins one for one with blockchain-based coins.

In essence the banking in almost all games is not reliable, for example in all the web based games I have looked at not one of them used transactions that either happen in full or get rolled back and retried, so any time a hosting provider reboots a web based game there is a chance the game was part way through a transaction, which will never thus be completed, so it will be out of balance.

For example suppose a player visits a moneychanger to change goldpieces into silverpieces. instead of using one atomic transaction in which the moneychanger gains gold and loses silver while the player gains silver while losing gold there would be four separate database operations, one for each currency to remove it from the one that is parting with it and one to add it to the one that is gaining it. if the machine goes down while that is happening, maybe the player paid the gold but didn't receive the silver, or maybe both parties had what they were parted with subtracted and neither has had anything added yet, or maybe even, in code that is particularly bad for the game operator, both parties got given what they were to get but did not get taken from them what they were to part with.

So no virtually no game can be trusted to account inventory and balances so you need to turn inventory and balances into actual hard blockchain-coins at an exchange/market so that if suddenly all items and currencies owned by all players got doubled it would not leave the game operator owing a doubled amount of hard coin to the players, instead it would simply lead to the market prices of the things that got doubled tending to fall somewhat as players sell off their duplicate copies of everything.

However one could put Chaumian blinded cash tokens, cheques, teller's cheques and such into games as items players can pick up, since such things if someone already cashed them they are worthless. The only way a player finding one of a many times cloned cheque or Chaumian cash token can know it is still valid is to try to cash it in at a server. (I am thinking Open Transactions style here for example) so those kinds of things could be used, in which each individual one a player has is a separate distinct serial-number kind of thing that either has or has not already been cashed-in by a previous owner.

-MarkM-

Icoin

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:16:35 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 03:05:06 AM by Icoin

(I am thinking Open Transactions style here for example)

You are right, thats why OT plays a role in this effort, but objects (Prims) and regions will be secured by the new created namecoin clone by having each object in the chain (im sure you agree with me that this would definitly bloat the namecoin chain). My personal intention for this is not about selling stuff, but more to be able to pay artists with tips.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:32:04 AM

How about setting it up a bit different then... with user accounts. Ex. you can deposit/withdraw a minimum amount, and then that goes into your inventory. As it's transferred from one person to another it would just stay in the game... kind of like Just-Dice (deposit on to their site, then you're no longer bloating the blockchain since you only add on to it when you deposit more or withdraw your winnings).

There are plenty of secure ways to ensure that player balances are kept properly... MMO's have been doing it for many years, :p. The main way they do it is by having a database that gives each item a uID.

Ex. there are four of the same longsword out there. While they are all named "longsword" and have the same stats, their uID (unique ID's) are 1, 2, 3, 4, so none of them could ever be cloned since there can only be one of each. As another is added to the game (drop or whatever) it gets the uID of 5.

I am very, very interested, if you guys are serious about pursuing this, in helping with game design documents and such. I think if it's done right it could be BIG.

Icoin

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:42:33 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 02:59:49 AM by Icoin

I am very, very interested, if you guys are serious about pursuing this, in helping with game design documents and such. I think if it's done right it could be BIG.
Yes each object has a unique UUID.
Not just me is working on this since quite a while, cause it has to be done right. You can help by getting DVB shares Wink And when the grid is finaly running with economy there gonna be even more to do.
By now i suggest to become familiar (you definitly gonna need quite a while to become familiar) with it by creating a osgrid account and figure what is possble there allready.
http://www.osgrid.org/

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:43:30 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 02:54:58 AM by markm

You are thinking of three dimensional representations/models of things as the things themselves, and there is value in such models so on the level where you need to reward artists for creating images of things that is useful.

I am more rooted in the old classic idea that our games use the most powerful graphics processor in the known universe... your own imagination!

Throughout history much of literature got illustrated much later, the authors of the actual scenarios that many artists over the centuries took a stab at creating their own artist's impression of didn't pay those artists, and once upon a time the greatness of the plotlines and characters and events and so on did not lie in how high a definition the movie of it was filmed in.

So I am currently thinking more along the roleplayer lines, where a roleplayer might say "and he generously offers a million coins of gold!" and presto, to illustrate, being in an OpenSimulator environment, a million coins of gold can appear, illustrating the story.

To me with my current approach, whether the player actually has a million devcoins or bitcoins or MUD gold or whatever with which to "back" that gratuitous illustration comes in later; if a player cannot illustrate such a storyline because the player failed to purchase an entire million copies of a no copy no modify gold coin so they could rez it a million times that is a problem, a glitch, because it would make it harder for players to sit there spinning their yarns doing their bragging or whatever. Albeit it it would also prevent a scammer from rezzing a million copies of a gold coin to try to convince someone he or she has that many actual gold coins somewhere or that many devcoins somewhere or whatever.

I am looking at three dimensional graphics as an output device that could be useful to provide certain kinds of readouts/views, not as being in itself the thing to generate views of.

I am more looking to take a statement from a novel or a MUD or other "in words" medium and illustrate it, than to try to figure out what some pattern of pixels is intended to convey. What is to be conveyed is known in advance, how a particular artist or screen or sculptor or whatever will image it is largely a matter of their taste and their ability to convey through such media the meaning that the plot or story or game is trying to have it convey.

So if it is the case that a goblin enters and hacks off the head of a rabbit, there is no "sorry, no artist has drawn a goblin or rabbit yet so that cannot happen"; rather it is more a case of "sorry your display does not currently seem able to adequately display what is happening, which is, that a goblin enters and hacks off the head of a rabbit"....

I guess I am conceptually thinking of two modes:

In one mode, players are using OpenSimulator, so they can rez anything in any quantity without regard to whether it corresponds to what is really the case in any/whatever game they might be bragging about or recounting yarns about while hanging out in OpenSim.

In the other mode, the players are playing a game, and one more more of the screens their computer has available to it can, thanks to OpenSim, illustrate various aspects of the game in 3D.

In both cases, the illustration is there to attempt to illustrate the story/facts. Illustrating something doesn't make it so, rather, what is actually so is actually so whether any illustration of it portrays it faithfully/understandably or not and whether or not any illustrations even vaguely resembling what is so have ever yet been created.

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 03:04:59 AM

How about setting it up a bit different then... with user accounts. Ex. you can deposit/withdraw a minimum amount, and then that goes into your inventory. As it's transferred from one person to another it would just stay in the game... kind of like Just-Dice (deposit on to their site, then you're no longer bloating the blockchain since you only add on to it when you deposit more or withdraw your winnings).

There are plenty of secure ways to ensure that player balances are kept properly... MMO's have been doing it for many years, :p. The main way they do it is by having a database that gives each item a uID.

Ex. there are four of the same longsword out there. While they are all named "longsword" and have the same stats, their uID (unique ID's) are 1, 2, 3, 4, so none of them could ever be cloned since there can only be one of each. As another is added to the game (drop or whatever) it gets the uID of 5.

Most free open source games do not maintain fully relational databases. heck even most supermarkets do not.

Rather, things get 'stacked' and abstracted.

The supermarket might know how many cans of beans are in each warehouse, but typically does not know - not maybe even particularly care - which can is in which warehouse. You could sneakily exchange any pair of cans of beans because any distinct ones that are known to be different, such as damaged cans of beans, would be a separate inventory item but again no fully relational. Most engines for fully relational databases died off because full relationalness was mostly of theoretical interest for relational calculus not often of practical use in the field.

So hey who knows maybe if you bought a copy of EVE online or World of Warcraft server source code you would find there is no such thing as ten swords, because ten swords is not a thing, there are ten things, each is a sword, and each has different fingerprints and scents and history so that a psychic could tell which of them once was used by so and so, which is stolen and from who, which one sold where to who from who when and so on.

But in free open source games I have not seen such accounting/inventory yet.

Oh wait, maybe a MUD comes close, if it does not implement stacking/bundling.

But once you stack or bundle there is typically no going back to which item in the stack was which individual item before the stacking or bundling; it is partly a way of saving data space by reducing many database rows all saying sword to one database row saying fifty swords, type of idea.

You could illustrate it in OpenSim by rezzing fifty models of swords, each with their own object-ID, or by rezzing one model depicting a bundle of swords and maybe using less than fifty prims.

-MarkM-

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:58:40 AM

I am wondering why the number of receiver lines for round 25 keeps increasing.  The document now says 709 receiver lines, but I thought it had closed at 600 back when we hit the 97300 blocks.

Here is the file I am seeing:  http://d.evco.in/charity/receiver_summary.txt
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

He offered up a bounty for someone to write a Namecoin-cloning tutorial.
thanks, the later posts on opensimulation/dvc made that a bit clearer.

Wiser - it did close, I think it's just until the final 25 receiver files are put together and agreed with amendments for a couple of writers:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg2726197#msg2726197
so in the meantime the script is pulling in round 25 and 26 as one total, and is increasing due to new articles, but round 25 will drop off.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:24:55 PM

Wiser - it did close, I think it's just until the final 25 receiver files are put together and agreed with amendments for a couple of writers:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg2726197#msg2726197
so in the meantime the script is pulling in round 25 and 26 as one total, and is increasing due to new articles, but round 25 will drop off.

Thanks for the explanation, Weisoq.  I had read the message you referred to but not seen the edit.  I have a couple follow up questions:

1.  How long will the document be showing the combined total for round 25 and 26 before round 25 drops off?  How long is typical for the closed round and the new round to be combined? 

2.  How typical is it to make adjustments after a round is closed?  I mainly want to know what to expect.  I had an earnings goal for round 25 which I thought I had reached (I was watching the progress of how shares were accumulating and making sure my writing kept pace so I could earn what my goal was).  Only when those 68 shares were added, that caused me to not make my goal.  This is not a complaint (I still did quite well), just a desire to know if this is something I should expect in future rounds.  Because if it is, then this next round I will simply plan to overshoot my goal so as to account for these adjustments.  Hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance for your patience with answering my questions Smiley
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:50:17 AM

I am wondering why the number of receiver lines for round 25 keeps increasing.  The document now says 709 receiver lines, but I thought it had closed at 600 back when we hit the 97300 blocks.

Here is the file I am seeing:  http://d.evco.in/charity/receiver_summary.txt

that's a bug, I should manually adjust the script every round but haven't. round 25 is indeed ended. the file would be all right next morning.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: