Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:43:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:15:41 PM

@HunterBunter

Would you be able to help me better code my site?  http://devticker.pw/default.php

I would like to make it more modern-looking and have the calculator more like the one at preev.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:14:36 AM

Hi all, I am happy to report that I have finished the devcoin.org site redesign:

http://devcoin.org/

Thanks to Weisoq for his wiki page and whoever created the Devcoin press release that went out a couple of weeks ago - really saved me a lot of time compiling the content.

Let me know what you guys think - I will be sticking around as the new Devcoin web guy so I can certainly make edits and additions going forward.
Awesome work! Love it! Cheesy
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:19:30 AM

I just looked at the round 31 account file to check my wordcount and noticed under "Devtome Earnings" that the line with my username, address, and wordcount has been deleted. I recently put subheadings on my user page on devtome because I had seen some other users do that and I abhor a long list without them, but could that be messing with the script that does the wordcount?
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:46:16 AM

I just looked at the round 31 account file to check my wordcount and noticed under "Devtome Earnings" that the line with my username, address, and wordcount has been deleted. I recently put subheadings on my user page on devtome because I had seen some other users do that and I abhor a long list without them, but could that be messing with the script that does the wordcount?

Yes it does mess with devtome.py, because a heading looks like the end of the invoice section. Only put simple text in the invoice, not headings.

giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:15:01 AM

Yes it does mess with devtome.py, because a heading looks like the end of the invoice section. Only put simple text in the invoice, not headings.

Okay, thanks.
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 04:32:18 AM

Hello,

I am very new to Devtome. Where can I find this file at to check my word count as well?

Jeff

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:50:32 AM

Okay, thanks.

Make the "headings" bold instead of true headings. For example, instead of:

==Cryptos==

do:

'''Cryptos'''

This will put the text in bold to help separate it, but it won't affect the script and isn't a real heading.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:19:03 AM

Hello,

I am very new to Devtome. Where can I find this file at to check my word count as well?

Jeff

You can find it here http://d.evco.in/charity/. Go to the 'account' file for the current round (which is 31).
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:21:28 AM

Okay, thanks.

Make the "headings" bold instead of true headings. For example, instead of:

==Cryptos==

do:

'''Cryptos'''

This will put the text in bold to help separate it, but it won't affect the script and isn't a real heading.

Cool, thanks. Yours was one of the examples I looked at, and I realized bold must be the answer after the fact.
Bittzy78
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 05:26:46 AM

Hello,

Jeff

You can find it here http://d.evco.in/charity/. Go to the 'account' file for the current round (which is 31).

Awsome! thanks for the info. I am at work so I have to wait until I get home to check.  Embarrassed

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Bittzy78
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

Hello,

Jeff

Would you be willing to answer a couple of more questions on how the process gets started?

I only joined Devtome a couple of days ago but already have articles up on the Devtome page. Do the articles have to be added to the link tree of the topics section by admin before they will be counted by the script?

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:36:51 AM

Just out of curiosity, how often are those scripts run? I submitted some work to devtome too, and I believe I've invoiced it correctly but nothing shows up in the account file yet.

Thanks for the chart! You get the 18 share award, the remaining award is 9 shares. The round 31 bounties are at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_31.csv
This was a bounty that I proposed and pledged 300,000 devcoins to. I have sent them to the tip address on the chart page. Thank you for making this a reality.

Shocked That was a surprise bonus, thanks!

@HunterBunter

Would you be able to help me better code my site?  http://devticker.pw/default.php

I would like to make it more modern-looking and have the calculator more like the one at preev.com

Hey Smeagol, sure I'll help any way I can. Send me a pm and we can talk about it more.

Keep in mind, my skills are more backend python/server related, and (if you can't tell already) my web design skills are somewhat rudimentary. I'll help however I can, though.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 06:55:35 AM

I've coded up a webserver that gets the averages from a few different places, but I couldn't find a long term history of DVC.

Long term history of DVC: see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

The actual plots and pages there are kind of in reverse maybe to what you want, for example the list of what all other things cost in terms of devcoins and the graphical plot of what all other things cost in terms of devcoins, but the raw underlying data would do what you want, basically you just need to pick out the devcoin columns from the lists or plots of all the other assets.

All those tables and plots are generated from a historic collection of past "latestrates.inc" files, I don't upload that collection to the website currently though, the website just has one latestrates file at a time, uploaded to http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/latestrates.inc

The include file is included into bash shell scripts in order to compute the value of any asset relative to any other asset.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 07:09:14 AM

I propose the following work, done by myself, to be funded by devcoin. Please let me know if this will fit.

I will write a definitive guide for Embedded Analysis, to be published on the CCC 30C3 wiki. This would be a significant update to the same entry i wrote in 2010, which today is the first result when searching for "embedded analysis". I would refactor and release a new tool based on an Arduino which can be used to dump NAND memory (a capability not readily available to most), unlicensed and open source. I will QA and release a voltage shifting board for IO lines, unlicensed and open source with Fritzing layout files. I would release a book (25 page pamphlet will illustrations and photography) developed with a photographer and initially previewed at the Create Art & Technology Exhibition in 2011 but never formally released, CC licensed. I would donate %10 of all Devcoin from the total sum of the entirety of all this work, from now and into the future, to the photographer. All of this will be documented in the 30c3 wiki and I would be happy to put "efforts supported by Devcoin and the Devcoin community" in the first section. This work is already in progress and WILL be completed by Dec 30th, preferably Dec 26 (before the 30C3 conference starts). If not clear, all code, text and designs were or will be authored by myself, except that of the photographer as mentioned.

BIO: I am a well known hardware and software reverse engineer. I've lectured at Recon and the CCC. I make things that break things and publish them unlicensed.

Full list of work and new additions to the documentation from the 27c3:

• Initial release of Arduino based NAND Memory dumper
  • Memory breakout board list and techniques
  • Release of voltage regulator board for low voltage targets
  • Information on workflow and aesthetic analysis
  • Links to new tools
  • What to do after JTAG is found
  • Finding JTAG by hand
  • Crude and novel firmware analysis techniques
  • Release of book with illustrations on hardware hacking, in PDF form (CC Share Alike license)

If, as it sounds like, you are a lifestyle creator of free open source stuff such as you describe above, and typically work on such stuff ten hours a week anyway already, you are the kind of person who should be on the receivers list anyway as a lifestyle developer of free open source stuff, regardless of what happens or fails to happen about these specific projects you mention above.

In other words you sound like a possible candidate to become a "tenured developer", that is, someone who just always has a share in the receivers list ongoing until some day when you are too old/feeble or sick or dead to be able to continue with your "developer of free open source software" lifestyle.

(If some day someone reports that you no longer do tend to spend 10+ hours per week working on free open source projects for free then if that turns out to be true you'd be removed from the list, but basically until then you'd just always be there, without nitpicking about what project you happen to work on this or that week...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:19:02 AM

I've coded up a webserver that gets the averages from a few different places, but I couldn't find a long term history of DVC.

Long term history of DVC: see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

The actual plots and pages there are kind of in reverse maybe to what you want, for example the list of what all other things cost in terms of devcoins and the graphical plot of what all other things cost in terms of devcoins, but the raw underlying data would do what you want, basically you just need to pick out the devcoin columns from the lists or plots of all the other assets.

ooo that's perfect, I should be able to get the data off that, thanks. Will update thread when I get a daily chart running.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 07:32:24 AM

I think eeh raises a good point. If mainstream writers have support to get over any biases against free culture licenses, there's the potential for a ton of great writers to port a lot of great content to devtome. Because they don't get paid right now (or get paid very little) for creating, and devtome exists expressly to pay creators. So maybe (again, not informed enough to have a real opinion, but this is just a possibility) what devtome needs is more writers putting in 100k words, rather than a lower max word count. Advertising has been plugged a lot in this thread as the way to do that, but I think in conjunction with that, devtome needs to look safe and reliable to a non-hacker audience. Right now that's hard for a layperson to judge because of the visuals of devtome, the variability in quality, and the bias in language of a lot of the main pages toward people who understand the code of all this.

The two most immediate solutions I see are to continue to improve the quality control system and be in open communication about it (which seems like an active, on-going process as this discussion demonstrates), and to get a page up written for the layperson about earnings (which I'm drafting).

It is not a max number of words really, just a max number that get paid out in one "round" of payouts.

One of the underlying limitations is that there only 4000 "blocks" (on the "blockchain") per "round", and our code only supports fifths of a share granularity, meaning only five people can get paid in any one "block".

Thus even if each person to be paid only gets paid one fifth of a share, we can currently only pay 5 * 4000 = 20000 people per "round".

Thus in essence each 1/5 of a share you get is 1/5 of a share someone else isn't getting, and we can only support a max of 20000 recipients per round with our current code.

20000 recipients sounds like a lot, but even supposing we only had 200 recipients, for any one of them to get more than 100 * 1/5 of a share (20 shares) would require at least one other of them not to be able to get that many shares.

So the code/capability in place already prevents us from issuing all 200 people in such a scenario any more than at least a full 20 shares each. For someone to get 80 shares, three others of the 200 people would have to get none, or 60 others of them only get 19, etc.

TL;DR there are only ever 4000 shares total in a round, maximum. (Thus up to 20,000 1/5ths of a share.)

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 07:46:47 AM

As it's my message quoted I think it's fair that I reply. That it's you eeh isn't relevant, I wasn't making a point any particular writer's writings and I'd assume it's not my preference alone.

No worries. It's all about the dialogue man [used with my best 60's voice]

This implies very little difference for quality writing.

OK.

Also as far as I'm aware, word counts in excess of 50k will still be rolled over to the next round as they are now. There is no net loss, only a longer tie-in and greater time distribution of payouts.

OK. I'm in favor of rolling it over. Effectively and from what is being done now by UTB, this amounts to no real change, just a longer earnings period for those that contribute more content. I'm good with that.

In reply I would like to ask you or anyone else to explain why there shouldn't be a maximum, or why 120 is better or fairer than 75? And then how administering that would work in practice in a way that is less 'pointless' than the change?

I don't think I said it was pointless, just asking what the purpose was. I'm fairly resistant to change unless there's a well-thought out reason. My gut response was that just because it had been mentioned and no one threw a tantrum, well, that doesn't really justify changing the scheme.

But from what I see in your last post, by reducing the round payouts, it more equally distributes the actual quantity of coin for even low word-count contributors while extending earnings to those who have no other life (like me) than writing.

I think the post to which I'm responding did a fairly decent job of addressing my (mis)understandings of the current earnings rounds.

I see nothing objectionable or having anything inequitable. Thanks for the feedback!

I guess for prolific writers it will be a kind of pension scheme! If you wrote twice the max every round until you retire, you'd be in effect banking half your income toward your retirement! Smiley

-MarkM-

best_btc

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:40:45 AM

request at unocoin (Indian btc site) to add DVC
https://www.unocoin.com/contact.php

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:53:42 PM

I think eeh raises a good point. If mainstream writers have support to get over any biases against free culture licenses, there's the potential for a ton of great writers to port a lot of great content to devtome. Because they don't get paid right now (or get paid very little) for creating, and devtome exists expressly to pay creators. So maybe (again, not informed enough to have a real opinion, but this is just a possibility) what devtome needs is more writers putting in 100k words, rather than a lower max word count. Advertising has been plugged a lot in this thread as the way to do that, but I think in conjunction with that, devtome needs to look safe and reliable to a non-hacker audience. Right now that's hard for a layperson to judge because of the visuals of devtome, the variability in quality, and the bias in language of a lot of the main pages toward people who understand the code of all this.

The two most immediate solutions I see are to continue to improve the quality control system and be in open communication about it (which seems like an active, on-going process as this discussion demonstrates), and to get a page up written for the layperson about earnings (which I'm drafting).

It is not a max number of words really, just a max number that get paid out in one "round" of payouts.

One of the underlying limitations is that there only 4000 "blocks" (on the "blockchain") per "round", and our code only supports fifths of a share granularity, meaning only five people can get paid in any one "block".

Thus even if each person to be paid only gets paid one fifth of a share, we can currently only pay 5 * 4000 = 20000 people per "round".

Thus in essence each 1/5 of a share you get is 1/5 of a share someone else isn't getting, and we can only support a max of 20000 recipients per round with our current code.

20000 recipients sounds like a lot, but even supposing we only had 200 recipients, for any one of them to get more than 100 * 1/5 of a share (20 shares) would require at least one other of them not to be able to get that many shares.

So the code/capability in place already prevents us from issuing all 200 people in such a scenario any more than at least a full 20 shares each. For someone to get 80 shares, three others of the 200 people would have to get none, or 60 others of them only get 19, etc.

TL;DR there are only ever 4000 shares total in a round, maximum. (Thus up to 20,000 1/5ths of a share.)

-MarkM-

So Devcoin would have to increase quite a bit in value to support up to 20,000 shares and have it be worth it to individual contributors. Which I guess helps explain more why have a maximum per round and roll the rest over.
matt608

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:51:40 PM

request at unocoin (Indian btc site) to add DVC
https://www.unocoin.com/contact.php

Done.  Everyone please do this!
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: