Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:31:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058389 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 05:43:09 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2013, 05:59:31 AM by markm

"Back to people" sounds potentially complex or difficult.

It also reminds me of chats last night in which after explaining that devtome is intended to cause devcoins to have value by using its ad revenue to buy devcoins I did not know what it planned to actually do with the devcoins it bought.

Maybe whatever devtome plans to do with the devcoins it buys with its ad revenue it could also do with windfall devcoins such as ones being returned by people who "overdrew" like in this case...

Regardless, what the heck is the plan as to what to do with bought devcoins once devtome ad revenue exists and it used to buy devcoins?

Also, how will it do the buying? Blind dumping of the fiat, or smart trading?

Maybe it should buy shares in a smart trading bot or something.

Which brings me to hey how about a bounty for a tool one can use to say "place orders on each and every satoshi of price if possible, if not as many satoshis of price as possible, evenly spread starting at this low price going up to this high price using this many coins" ?

Basically I am spending 16+ hour days manually typing in on Vircurex offers at every satoshi of price, not just on devcoins (I already did them long ago) but now also on IXCoins and I0Coins and hey what the heck even on DOGE. In general I think it would be beneficial if all coins had offers at all possible prices, no empty satoshis of price inbetween.

I looked in Virturex FAQ for frequently asked questions about their API but didn't even see "do you even have an API" listed there.

But I think they do have one even if not active right now as I seem to recall having seen an announcement once upon  time that they were disabling the API temporarily to fix something or something like that.

In general whichever exchange one ends up using, a tool for that exchange would be useful for doing this, as a lot of the price volatility on all exchanges on all coins is simple lazienss of people just posting one offer instead of spreading their offer across every possible price to ensure no gaps thus to smooth out changes in prices.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:51:16 AM

Here the first page as a test translation into german. It has some errors, I just wanted to show a first impression.
It would be great to have country flags at the bottom of the site.

It has some problems with the upper menu buttons, since german needs a little more longer words there, that's what made the layout burst.

An issue is that devtome is only in English, so writers whose English is not good enough can not earn devcoins. I don't think a German translation is worth doing now. In the future, if devcoin value increases, we'll make a hardware site, and then it would be worth making a German translation for that site.

I think its still a good idea to have german translations but maybe not for an admin position...right now any coverage is good coverage just offer it for fewer shares as a bounty!
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:57:31 AM

About a week ago, plagiarism was found in the articles of Notabot (Fheenix on devtome). It was just after the receiver files were made, so it was too late to regenerate the files. I talked with Notabot, and it turned out he hired a writer who was copying text. He was really sorry about it and wanted to quit. It was many articles, about 220,000 words worth, at an average of 300,000 devcoins per share, it's about 66 million devcoins. Notabot then deleted all those articles from devtome. Notabot was also selling his devcoins, so he has few left and full restitution is impossible. I judged that his repentance was sincere, and so I suggested a way to atone, following in spirit:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=conditional_forgiveness

Notabot would stop selling his devcoins, and send all but 5 million back to people at the end of December, and then send all but 5 million back at the end of the round 30 payment at the end of January. For a year, round 31 to round 42 inclusive, a third of his earnings would be sent back.

This might seem like an easy way off, because this will not pay back all the devcoins. However, it is much harder and more expensive than simply quitting.

I think this a reasonable atonement, however if a majority of admins don't want this then it's off.

He prob single handedly stopped devcoin from rising this time and he sold off hos dvc for profit what does he care now?

5 more dvc let him sell at market I will buy it! The real problem is how do we prevent this? Why not go ahead with a big reduction in max shares and givimg more to developers like myself who actually make a difference!!!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 06:59:30 AM

I wrote to Vircurex about the idea of a FLOOD FILL (of orders) capability:

It is taking me 16+ hour days of just typing in orders all day just to try to smooth out the order-books so they don't have huge gaps been "walls" but instead have offers at every posible price.

Could you create a "flood fill" mode of some kind, so I can basically say "divide up this many coins between as many prices as possible starting at this price and continuing through this price"?

Or maybe just autofill so when I say I want to buy or sell X coins at price Y the autofill will automatically fill the whole interval (if possible) between the price above that (if one exists) and the price below that (or the lowest on that side of the orderbook)?

This would save me many many many more days of 16+ hours of mindlessly typing orders trying to smooth out your order-books...

Heck maybe you could instead simply use your own fee-earned float coins to autofill every time anyone makes any order, or something, so all order books having all prices represented all the time would be a feature of your exchange without any user needing to use their own coins to provide the offers inbetween (the flood-fill of orders).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 07:09:59 AM

I'm running a permanent DVC node at 192.241.155.73. I'd like it to be a seed node.

The people developing the shiny new daemon and client need to add it into whatever code they are using for seed nodes.

I am editting my old-devcoin-git and old-devcoin-qt-git to add a seventh name it will look up, dvcstable07.dvcnode.org, I do not know what their code does, whether it checks the dvcstable nodes on the dvcnode.org domain or not. Your IP address has been added to the dvcnodes.org DNS as dvcstable07.

Also who-ever controls the DNS for devtome.com needs to add it into their own dvcnode## hostnames in their DNS, my code so far only looks for dvcnode01 through dvcnode05 on that domain as I have seen no notification that they have added any more nodes than the five. (In fact when first I coded the code to look for five of them we did not even have have at the time, I just wanted the code to have a couple of spare lookups we could plug IP addressed into in the DNS later.)

-MarkM-

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:39:34 AM

About a week ago, plagiarism was found in the articles of Notabot (Fheenix on devtome). It was just after the receiver files were made, so it was too late to regenerate the files. I talked with Notabot, and it turned out he hired a writer who was copying text. He was really sorry about it and wanted to quit. It was many articles, about 220,000 words worth, at an average of 300,000 devcoins per share, it's about 66 million devcoins. Notabot then deleted all those articles from devtome. Notabot was also selling his devcoins, so he has few left and full restitution is impossible. I judged that his repentance was sincere, and so I suggested a way to atone, following in spirit:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=conditional_forgiveness

Notabot would stop selling his devcoins, and send all but 5 million back to people at the end of December, and then send all but 5 million back at the end of the round 30 payment at the end of January. For a year, round 31 to round 42 inclusive, a third of his earnings would be sent back.

This might seem like an easy way off, because this will not pay back all the devcoins. However, it is much harder and more expensive than simply quitting.

I think this a reasonable atonement, however if a majority of admins don't want this then it's off.

I think this sounds fair - especially as everyone receives DVC back. How will the coins be sent back? Will they be sent in proportion to how many shares everyone has earned that round? Or will they be sent, divided equally among everyone's DVC addresses on the receiver files?
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 08:49:22 AM

Bad things happen all the time. Let the admin make his decision and we will live with it.

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:32:26 AM

I think this sounds fair - especially as everyone receives DVC back. How will the coins be sent back? Will they be sent in proportion to how many shares everyone has earned that round? Or will they be sent, divided equally among everyone's DVC addresses on the receiver files?

Actually I do care very much. Unthinkingbits proposal for Admins to consider is that the distribution of devcoins coming to my address be sent to him, and redistributed by him based upon contribution. Unthinkingbit can explain this better but there is a plan in place.

Provisionally, I'm going to modify payment.py, which already calculates how much everyone was paid, to total up to whatever Notabot sends. Then I'll manually send that out. For the one third payment, I was originally going to add it to the advertising payment, but after thinking about it, the easiest way would be to subtract that from Notabot's shares, then all the other shares will be worth that much more.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:34:32 AM

I'm running a permanent DVC node at 192.241.155.73. I'd like it to be a seed node.

The people developing the shiny new daemon and client need to add it into whatever code they are using for seed nodes.

I am editting my old-devcoin-git and old-devcoin-qt-git to add a seventh name it will look up, dvcstable07.dvcnode.org, I do not know what their code does, whether it checks the dvcstable nodes on the dvcnode.org domain or not. Your IP address has been added to the dvcnodes.org DNS as dvcstable07.

Also who-ever controls the DNS for devtome.com needs to add it into their own dvcnode## hostnames in their DNS, my code so far only looks for dvcnode01 through dvcnode05 on that domain as I have seen no notification that they have added any more nodes than the five. (In fact when first I coded the code to look for five of them we did not even have have at the time, I just wanted the code to have a couple of spare lookups we could plug IP addressed into in the DNS later.)

-MarkM-

Thanks for the node Wolf, I've added you to the bounty file at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_31.csv

You will get 2/5 of a share as long as you maintain the node.

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:41:15 AM

Actually I do care very much. Unthinkingbits proposal for Admins to consider is that the distribution of devcoins coming to my address be sent to him, and redistributed by him based upon contribution. Unthinkingbit can explain this better but there is a plan in place.

Provisionally, I'm going to modify payment.py, which already calculates how much everyone was paid, to total up to whatever Notabot sends. Then I'll manually send that out. For the one third payment, I was originally going to add it to the advertising payment, but after thinking about it, the easiest way would be to subtract that from Notabot's shares, then all the other shares will be worth that much more.

Y not create more bounties the new wallet needs testing? Any immediate work? The new pr work im doing is going to be good shit I suggest it be worth more than 12 shares its going
to wider audience and I will adhere to higher standards ( up to quality admins to judge before release)
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:45:42 AM

It also reminds me of chats last night in which after explaining that devtome is intended to cause devcoins to have value by using its ad revenue to buy devcoins I did not know what it planned to actually do with the devcoins it bought.

Maybe whatever devtome plans to do with the devcoins it buys with its ad revenue it could also do with windfall devcoins such as ones being returned by people who "overdrew" like in this case...

Regardless, what the heck is the plan as to what to do with bought devcoins once devtome ad revenue exists and it used to buy devcoins?

The ad devcoins are sent in proportion to the page views times the rating. It's in the "Advertising Portion" portion of a recent devtome file, like:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_30.csv

The amount of money is small, probably around 40 $/month lately, and it takes a while to do the multisend, so I'm going to ask Psybits and K1773R to only send it every two months, or maybe every three months, until revenue gets up to 1,000 $/month.

Also, how will it do the buying? Blind dumping of the fiat, or smart trading?

Maybe it should buy shares in a smart trading bot or something.

I don't know, Psybits converts the bitcoins to devcoins.

Which brings me to hey how about a bounty for a tool one can use to say "place orders on each and every satoshi of price if possible, if not as many satoshis of price as possible, evenly spread starting at this low price going up to this high price using this many coins" ?

Basically I am spending 16+ hour days manually typing in on Vircurex offers at every satoshi of price, not just on devcoins (I already did them long ago) but now also on IXCoins and I0Coins and hey what the heck even on DOGE. In general I think it would be beneficial if all coins had offers at all possible prices, no empty satoshis of price inbetween.

I looked in Virturex FAQ for frequently asked questions about their API but didn't even see "do you even have an API" listed there.

But I think they do have one even if not active right now as I seem to recall having seen an announcement once upon  time that they were disabling the API temporarily to fix something or something like that.

In general whichever exchange one ends up using, a tool for that exchange would be useful for doing this, as a lot of the price volatility on all exchanges on all coins is simple lazienss of people just posting one offer instead of spreading their offer across every possible price to ensure no gaps thus to smooth out changes in prices.

-MarkM-

I agree that it would be great to place a spread of orders. If someone finds an API call that does this, or finds a bot that already can do this I suggest 4 shares. If it turns out you need to modify or develop a bot to do this, 24 shares for coding. Any objections, or should something be changed?

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:46:59 AM

Y not create more bounties the new wallet needs testing? Any immediate work? The new pr work im doing is going to be good shit I suggest it be worth more than 12 shares its going
to wider audience and I will adhere to higher standards ( up to quality admins to judge before release)

As we already agreed it will be one marketing share per article you write - the main expense is actually in distributing any PR we get out there.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:53:13 AM

As we already agreed it will be one marketing share per article you write - the main expense is actually in distributing any PR we get out there.

Im including that expense and im talking about whats important. This pr is more important than nonchalant copy paste giving u 10x more credits..
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:54:07 AM

Y not create more bounties the new wallet needs testing? Any immediate work?

I would like someone, besides the programmer who created the new devcoin, to go through all the code changes to create the new devcoin and compare it to the documentation at:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#technical

and point out if the documentation or new devcoin client is missing anything. I suggest 8 shares for the first programmer to go through that and make a report, and 4 for the second. It would have to be someone who has already received a coding bounty or is on the bitcoin share list or devcoin share list.

The new pr work im doing is going to be good shit I suggest it be worth more than 12 shares its going

Any press release should also go on devtome, where it earns devcoins for writing. The PR bounties from Psybits are on top of any devtome earnings.

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:01:39 AM

Y not create more bounties the new wallet needs testing? Any immediate work?

I would like someone, besides the programmer who created the new devcoin, to go through all the code changes to create the new devcoin and compare it to the documentation at:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#technical

and point out if the documentation or new devcoin client is missing anything. I suggest 8 shares for the first programmer to go through that and make a report, and 4 for the second. It would have to be someone who has already received a coding bounty or is on the bitcoin share list or devcoin share list.

The new pr work im doing is going to be good shit I suggest it be worth more than 12 shares its going

Any press release should also go on devtome, where it earns devcoins for writing. The PR bounties from Psybits are on top of any devtome earnings.

Thank You! plz review code.. should i writeup a diff log?
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:14:24 AM

Could someone drop a few Devcoins in the following address for my test of the Windows client (cannot access my own wallet now)?

18GCTJhxrWfXjnLwwjJKsSYBpyEV16pRsB

Will send them back.

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:32:58 AM

Applied to earn devcoins by developing, e-mailed metazilla 10 days ago. Should I keep waiting or assume that I don't fully qualify?

I don't know but hope someone will get back to you.

Georgem: I think a German translation is a good idea for the same reasons others gave, if the additional management is not too much hassle. But if it happened think it would be best to wait until there's a section on the portal (like a FAQ) which makes clear devtome is in english only.

markm: is this what you mean https://vircurex.com/welcome/api - don't know if it's all still functional.

wekkel: Done
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 10:36:39 AM

Thank You! plz review code.. should i writeup a diff log?

Didn't you use something like git / github or other version control system?

Part of why we use such systems is one can thus get diffs between any point in time and any other point in time, see each individually submitted push/commit and so on and so on.

I suggest if you are not using something like git you please start doing so.

Or do you mean a CHANGES file saying in human terms what changes it was that the relevant diffs were intended to accomplish?

(Though each commit has a commit comment in systems like git so again if you submit changes with comments change by change one could in principle maybe even generate CHANGES files to include in distros automatically from the commit comments...)

-MarkM-

hypersire

Activity: 596

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:07:40 AM

Thanks for the website feedback everyone! I've gone through all the comments and came up with the following list of proposed updates as well as questions for the Devcoin community.

New Top Menu Items

Community - Should I just link to this forum thread on Bitcointalk? Someone asked if there is going to be a forum on devcoin.org. I haven't heard of any plans for this (wasn't there already a forum that didn't receive too much traffic?) The problem with having our own forum is that things will become fragmented with some people posting on the new forum while others (probably the majority) will still end up posting here.

I think it's ok to just make the "Community" link point to this thread but one thing we really need to do is clean up the multiple threads on Bitcointalk. If you Google Devcoin, you find one Devcoin link on BTT that's closed and points you to another thread that's closed and that one finally points you here. At the very least, the first posts of both those other threads should be updated with a link that points directly to this thread.

FAQs - We definitely need to add FAQs to the site. Weisoq said he is maintaining a list of FAQs here:

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_faq

I can either transfer the FAQs to the new site myself and then make updates as required OR if Weisoq wishes to maintain the FAQs, I can come up with a way to AJAX them into devcoin.org from his site. In my opinion, it would be better to host the FAQs directly on devcoin.org as opposed to interfacing with another domain.

Wallet Downloads

giftculturewriting posted a link to a new Devcoin wallet here:

http://media.andarazoroflove.org/Devcoin-Installer.exe

Should this link overwrite the current link for "Devcoin Setup Exe Windows32"?

Also, notice that the majority of the wallets are hosted on a domain called "21stcenturymoneytalk", and a couple are on box.com. The 21stcenturymoneytalk links are better as they point directly to the file so once the user clicks on it the download is initiated (as opposed to box.com where the user is taken to a download page). Is there anyway we can be consistent and have ALL the wallet downloads (except maybe the source) hosted on the same server where I can point to the files directly?

Also, the domain "21stcenturymoneytalk" might be a turnoff to some users. Personally, I'd love to see all the downloads hosted directly on devcoin.org.

Round Payout Info Page

Sidhujag asked about how the Round Payout Info will be updates on the "Earnings and Payouts" tab. I just found this info on a static web page, so if it is being updated somewhere, please send me the link and I can look into pulling it into devcoin.org automatically.

Sidhujag - As for the iPhone issue, I can look into it but it might not be fixable as the slider and the site layout are all based on the standard "Bootstrap" template made famous by Twitter. Twitter has spent years testing and tweaking Bootstrap, so if there is a small layout issue like the one you describe, it might be within their acceptable definition of "degrading gracefully". The main thing is that there isn't any loss of content. I'll check into it anyway...

What's New / New Bounties

Sidhujag also asked if we could add a section for What's New and/or New Bounties.

Currently there are links to the bounty pages on both Devtome and Cryptostocks on the "Get Devcoins" page. If people feel this does not stand out enough, I can create a new heading or even a separate tab but I don't think they warrant their own page as bounties fall under the main heading of "Get DVC". Don't forget that the top nav space is limited - there's no way I could add "Community", "FAQs" AND a "Bounties" link - the top nav would become much too cluttered.

Text / Link Updates

A couple of users posted some new links or minor text edits which look good to me so I will go ahead and make the updates.
hypersire

Activity: 596

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:14:20 AM

Someone also mentioned Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. I'd love to add social media icons to the footer of devcoin.org... I know there is a great YouTube video already out there, but I don't believe it is maintained on an "official" Devcoin channel.

May I propose that we find someone to take the role of "Social Media Administrator" for Devcoin who's job will be to oversee and maintain official Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages?
Pages: « 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: