Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:48:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:17:23 AM

Could someone drop a few Devcoins in the following address for my test of the Windows client (cannot access my own wallet now)?

18GCTJhxrWfXjnLwwjJKsSYBpyEV16pRsB

Will send them back.

Got 10 DVC so it's working  Grin Please PM return address so I can return it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2013, 02:09:23 PM by weisoq

markm: I assumed the longer-term process would involve revenue -> fiat/bitcoin -> Devcoin -> projects that build on devcoin either technically or in terms of spreading the concept. If revenue grows substantially then using that to code a bot or for other bounties not already exisiting make sense, otherwise probably need to fund the chicken first and hope it helps lay some revenue eggs and get the cycle going?

hypersire: Community - I agree on fragmentation and other points you make. Whatever links are added need to have regular support, so this thread is probably simplest starting point. That's why I listed as to add later or when others thought it would be a good idea.

FAQ - I agree best hosted directly. I only started that page yesterday to get people thinking about what to add. We get the same questions asked a lot, and some posters have highlighted aspects that I don't really think about but that could do with being put in simpler sharper language. So that's ongoing and when it looks ready to add I'll repost here for consideration to transfer?

Social Media - notabot started an official devcoin youtube chanel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQU3IgoL8p-jr9cbKqW45TA I don't know if that's settled on. Facebook is proving to be a hassle for devtome (anyone spamming links, please don't), psybits probably knows most about facebook and devcoin. There's also a devcoin (devtome) twitter page here: https://twitter.com/Devtome but again don't know about mechanics of content - think it's auto article update rather than devcoin per se. So upshot is probably needs clarifying by psybits and notabot.

Wekkel - if it's to keep testing the client the address in my sig is fine. Edit: Got it
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 12:50:29 PM

Georgem: I think a German translation is a good idea for the same reasons others gave, if the additional management is not too much hassle. But if it happened think it would be best to wait until there's a section on the portal (like a FAQ) which makes clear devtome is in english only.

I think it would be a pity (and wrong) to have devcoin only allow english texts.

Imagine wikipedia in only one language?

Is it atleast thinkable that we have english texts but also some kind of translation departement that coordinates the translation of all those english texts?

So every english text can have translations. But no text can exist in german only, since there always must exist an english version first.

That would be easy to manage database- or id-wise. Since there is always the english text as parent-node, and all the translations of this parent-node are simply child-nodes and can't ever be parent-nodes.

georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 12:58:33 PM

Georgem: I think a German translation is a good idea for the same reasons others gave, if the additional management is not too much hassle. But if it happened think it would be best to wait until there's a section on the portal (like a FAQ) which makes clear devtome is in english only.

Now wait, did I hear that correctly?

devtome is english only, but not devcoin.

So I understand that the admins of devtome can decide what they want and don't want to have on devtome.

But what if I were to create my own portal (similar to devtome) and focus it on the german language.

Would it be possible to merge this new site into devcoin, or is this the only marriage from now on and forever: devoin <--> devtome and they decided now and forever to be married and reproduce happily in english language only?

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:00:09 PM

Why not write in both German and English language and keep the German contributions on your own German Devtome?

weisoq

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:47:07 PM

So I understand that the admins of devtome can decide what they want and don't want to have on devtome.

But what if I were to create my own portal (similar to devtome) and focus it on the german language.

Would it be possible to merge this new site into devcoin, or is this the only marriage from now on and forever: devoin <--> devtome and they decided now and forever to be married and reproduce happily in english language only?
That’s not what it’s about at all. I don't think there's any particular reason why it can't be done, it's that pragmatically it's very difficult to do properly. There are currently people involved in signing up writers, others who vet articles for plagiarism and general copy, others who categorise and organise the site, others who administer marketing and revenue, others who host and maintain it. That's all to build the site as a repository, supporting open-source content and more recently revenue generation to be able to put back into building devcoin and what it's about. And that’s still not yet enough.

The main aspect is that Devcoin is about open-source. This extends to Devtome. This means there's an issue of copyright. A text written in a foreign language, if it's your own, and translated would be fine in principle. But does an english translation of a german text written by somebody else breach the original author's copyright? Probably. The same problem exists for submitting foreign language writings. There has to be a means of ensuring they're original because once on Devtome it's open-source, and this will take a pretty significant number of people to monitor - many more than now.

People can offer to translate from german to english, if anybody's interested in taking them up on it: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

Even on translations, that has to work in the same way as for submitting english work. You can't just take a foreign language text, translate it word for word into english and submit it as original. Checks on this aren't perfect, but there are checks. But existing foreign language articles could be improved upon and submit as 'collated' which means it's based on another article, but rewritten in your own words with improvements, or bringing together various sources for example - and making it clear what those sources/original articles were.

It's still quite early days with devtome. I'm not sure what to say except that as a project started by english speakers it's going to take a while until there's enough of a trusted foreign language base to translate and check articles. You may be open, honest and understand the ethos of open-source but not everybody is. As you can probably imagine people are quite hot on checking that other's aren't abusing the system with complete nonsense, effectively giving a growing foundation of accountability. Even then it's still sometimes necessary to delete/edit writings. That's difficult enough in english and just not possible in other languages until more non-english natives get involved over time.

As Devtome is evolving from simple earnings for words to earnings for quality and readership, that builds the system towards one that might later be able to incorporate more. But imagine if now it was open to all languages without a base of global native speakers with the added ability to actual vet the submissions.  I’d guess even wikipedia had to begin in one language.
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 02:27:23 PM

That’s not what it’s about at all. I don't think there's any particular reason why it can't be done, it's that pragmatically it's very difficult to do properly. There are currently people involved in signing up writers, others who vet articles for plagiarism and general copy, others who categorise and organise the site, others who administer marketing and revenue, others who host and maintain it. That's all to build the site as a repository, supporting open-source content and more recently revenue generation to be able to put back into building devcoin and what it's about. And that’s still not yet enough.

The main aspect is that Devcoin is about open-source. This extends to Devtome. This means there's an issue of copyright. A text written in a foreign language, if it's your own, and translated would be fine in principle. But does an english translation of a german text written by somebody else breach the original author's copyright? Probably. The same problem exists for submitting foreign language writings. There has to be a means of ensuring they're original because once on Devtome it's open-source, and this will take a pretty significant number of people to monitor - many more than now.

People can offer to translate from german to english, if anybody's interested in taking them up on it: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

Even on translations, that has to work in the same way as for submitting english work. You can't just take a foreign language text, translate it word for word into english and submit it as original. Checks on this aren't perfect, but there are checks. But existing foreign language articles could be improved upon and submit as 'collated' which means it's based on another article, but rewritten in your own words with improvements, or bringing together various sources for example - and making it clear what those sources/original articles were.

It's still quite early days with devtome. I'm not sure what to say except that as a project started by english speakers it's going to take a while until there's enough of a trusted foreign language base to translate and check articles. You may be open, honest and understand the ethos of open-source but not everybody is. As you can probably imagine people are quite hot on checking that other's aren't abusing the system with complete nonsense, effectively giving a growing foundation of accountability. Even then it's still sometimes necessary to delete/edit writings. That's difficult enough in english and just not possible in other languages until more non-english natives get involved over time.

As Devtome is evolving from simple earnings for words to earnings for quality and readership, that builds the system towards one that might later be able to incorporate more. But imagine if now it was open to all languages without a base of global native speakers with the added ability to actual vet the submissions.  I’d guess even wikipedia had to begin in one language.

Thanks for trying to clarify.

I still don't understand it 100%, but new (more general and not necessarily related) questions arise, since I consider myself still a devcoin-noob.

For example this link you gave : http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

I have no idea how I could have ever found this link on my own. What other devtome-site does link to this specific subsite?

That is one of the big problems I have with devtome. I understand there is a lot of knowledge hidden in it, but I really struggle to find all the right articles and lists, because there seems to be no suitable structure behind it, to make it easy for me to find the information I am looking for.

For example I can't even make out on devtome where the separation line is between the wiki-style articles and all the devtome-related articles and discussions that are going on.

Also when is something true content (like a wiki article) , and when is it more like a news-piece / opinion of somebody (like for example http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=what_does_dogecoin_teach_us)
I can't imagine to see http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=what_does_dogecoin_teach_us ever on wikipedia, because it wouldn't meet the criteria, it is not a descriptive article, but rather an opinion.
Seriously? "What does dogecoin teach us?" could never be in an encyclopedia, but it can sure be a blogpost or a small slant in a newspaper...
So does devtome just lump all the content together in one place? Encyclopedia-articles mixed with slants, blogposts and poems? Is there a structure to separate inbetween those categories?

Also why does no article at all mention any source whatsoever? No links, no referalls, no sources. Is this the basic rule? To NOT post anything?
I understand that a poem I write does not need any citation. But an article about the WW2 sure does.

I still haven't grasped what devtome tries to achieve (other then distributing DVC to the participants)... is it more a wiki (encyclopedia) or more just text-submits of all sorts (for example I could write a poem or fiction)

If devtome wants to have both, it really should separate those content styles.

I will need more time, I admit I am a little confused. But it's quite a struggle...

(sorry for this messy deranged post, I am just reflecting my state of mind, lol)

giftculturewriting

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:23:58 PM

I think this is the main issue, and it had pretty much the same reasoning as why visual art and photography are not yet supported. The project is young and the admin base is small and doing the best they can on a skeleton crew. I think that if openness is demonstrated through portal translations into a couple of other major languages that focus on specific markets (like German), with the caveat that for now only English is accepted because of staff limitations, that could be the seed of a bunch of Germans getting on board with the project and heading up a German branch/version that has its own checks and balances and way to check for plagiarism in the native language.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:31:25 PM

Thanks for trying to clarify.

I still don't understand it 100%, but new (more general and not necessarily related) questions arise, since I consider myself still a devcoin-noob.

For example this link you gave : http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_translators

I have no idea how I could have ever found this link on my own. What other devtome-site does link to this specific subsite?

That is one of the big problems I have with devtome. I understand there is a lot of knowledge hidden in it, but I really struggle to find all the right articles and lists, because there seems to be no suitable structure behind it, to make it easy for me to find the information I am looking for.

For example I can't even make out on devtome where the separation line is between the wiki-style articles and all the devtome-related articles and discussions that are going on.

I run into this, too. The search function also has limits. The other day I spent at least half an hour looking for this article (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=where_to_spend_your_cryptocurrencies) with search terms like 'where to spend devcoin,' 'spend devcoin', 'buy with devcoin,' etc. NOTHING. I couldn't remember how I found it, couldn't find a link to it... I finally had to remember one of the names of the actual businesses to get a hit in the top twenty search results.

I think something that would help with this is interlinking articles more when they are relevant. If you see another author's article that you like and is relevant to yours, put a link in the body of your text or 'see more' section ala Wikipedia.

Another thing that could be done is to create new categories for 'opinion pieces,' 'informative articles,' et cetera.
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:34:18 PM

However, it is much harder and more expensive than simply quitting.

I think this a reasonable atonement, however if a majority of admins don't want this then it's off.

It sounds very reasonable. Instead of just dismissing Notabot, it holds him accountable. I think this action also strengthens the community by maintaining its membership instead of just casting out the "unwanted."

I have made a recent error with my articles and instead of just throwing me to the curb, the error was pointed out and, even though it was an honest oversight on my part, I felt better for having the chance to correct it. And as a result of that, there is a possibility of a new category resulting from that issue.

I'm in favor of the atonement of Notabot being proposed by UTB.
giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:48:40 PM

About a week ago, plagiarism was found in the articles of Notabot (Fheenix on devtome). It was just after the receiver files were made, so it was too late to regenerate the files. I talked with Notabot, and it turned out he hired a writer who was copying text. He was really sorry about it and wanted to quit. It was many articles, about 220,000 words worth, at an average of 300,000 devcoins per share, it's about 66 million devcoins. Notabot then deleted all those articles from devtome. Notabot was also selling his devcoins, so he has few left and full restitution is impossible. I judged that his repentance was sincere, and so I suggested a way to atone, following in spirit:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=conditional_forgiveness

Notabot would stop selling his devcoins, and send all but 5 million back to people at the end of December, and then send all but 5 million back at the end of the round 30 payment at the end of January. For a year, round 31 to round 42 inclusive, a third of his earnings would be sent back.

This might seem like an easy way off, because this will not pay back all the devcoins. However, it is much harder and more expensive than simply quitting.

I think this a reasonable atonement, however if a majority of admins don't want this then it's off.

For prevention in the future:

I know there are people who search content for plagiarism, since right after I put this up http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=the_trap I got a PM about how I needed to take it down because it was also uploaded to Smashwords, which has a copyright notice. I explained that authors retain copyright at Smashwords and it was already licensed under CC BY-SA, so everything was fine.

Is each and every article run through a web-based plagiarism checker, or do new writers get checked and then there are periodic spot checks? It might be helpful to post this information on the main 'get set up with Devtome' pages so that people can be aware of the process, and it might help discourage people intending the work the system.

As for the penance, I'm a little confused about the 'all but 5 million' part. Notabot later said they would send all earnings and holding nothing back. It does seem better to be held accountable instead of quitting, but I'll leave it to the admins to figure out the particulars. Notabot sounded sincere in their explanation, and I like to believe there will be follow-through, but I also wonder if there is some kind of guarantee that can be placed.

On a note not pertaining directly to Notabot/Fheenix, but plagiarism relating to open-source in general: The good-faith nature of free culture licenses relies on the fact that if someone claims someone else's work as their own, they get called on it and it also depreciates their reputation. This disincentive is less powerful when someone doesn't have a solid, unified web presence (the pseudo-anonymity of screen names). I suppose the only answer I can think of is that if a community acts in integrity in general, and acts in integrity and fairness when cases like this arise, it encourages those who act in good-faith to stick around, and those who don't to drop out.
weisoq

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:05:38 PM

Thanks for trying to clarify...
Points and questions are good. As I said, Devtome is a work in progress. I’m not the best person to be answering this, so this is all my own take:

Devtome is about building an open-source repository of information, building a revenue generation source to re-invest into Devcoin and projects, and a way to incorporate a much wider interest, audience and user base for cryptos to date and the idea of open-source specifically. For Devcoin that means an underlying support via funding development, but as you note devtome and devcoin are not actually Devcoin exclusive. That’s the point.

I agree that Devtome organisation could be better, but at the same time there’s little point having nicely organised garbage or plagiarised work. I’d assume with time some more plugins could be added to pretty the site and make navigation simpler. I work on categorising articles and organising Devtome, so I’m particularly interested in your perspective on finding articles. Although I appreciate the frontpage could be more simply categorised, to date I’ve just focused on putting it all there to browse.

On translators, that link is on the front page. I assumed people would just look at the tree on the front page - see 'Devtome' - 'Translators' - and go there: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=start#topics Or alternatively just select 'Devtome' and access a list of relevant devtome articles. Similarly with 'Philosophy' or 'E-Currency' etc. That doesn’t seem to be the case, so I’m interested in why that is?

I also agree that a separate concise summary is necessary to break down core topics - why I’m suggesting a FAQ to be incorporated into Devcoin.org. Devtome isn’t just a wiki as you point out. It’s effectively an amalgamation of a wiki, blog and editorial opinion piece because there's generally no censorship. In terms of ‘earning’ dvc for writing particular articles, compensation is increasingly related to quality and readership, implying the reward for writing an article of little value will over time trend towards that broad consensus as more people get involved and so the incentive to submit them diminishes. I concede that will take time. Many articles are sourced and referenced, many are not. Referencing is now a factor in ratings devtome.com/doku.php?id=devtome_rater so should improve where appropriate.

Separation of content style - there's been discussion previously on this. It comes down to similar issues to other language sites - resources. Adding a new site or blog that focuses on a particular topic or style requires a whole new set of people and time to do it, and do it properly. I’m somebody who thinks it would be a good idea for a limited target focus, but can also understand the challenging practicalities and potential cost of fragmenting content and resources before enough of a foundation has been laid to get people interested and onboard.

giftculturewriting - The article you mention, it’s listed under ‘devcoin links’, ‘shopping’, ‘business’ etc, but maybe I’m just assuming people know where to look? Ideas are very welcome

eeh - I agree
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:32:33 PM

I know there are people who search content for plagiarism, since right after I put this up http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=the_trap I got a PM about how I needed to take it down because it was also uploaded to Smashwords, which has a copyright notice. I explained that authors retain copyright at Smashwords and it was already licensed under CC BY-SA, so everything was fine.

One of the tasks I perform is to spot check articles and grammar, not to "catch" people like some sort of DevNazi, but to make sure the content is either original or belongs to the writer.

For example, I noticed one person's content was originally posted elsewhere. One solution: 1. On the Devtome page, identify the location of the original post. 2. Go to the location where it was first posted and add a statement "This article is also on Devtome." 3. Take a screenshot of that original post with the Devtome statement in case your Devtome article is ever reviewed or comes under scrutiny. You will now be prepared to give a defense for your Devtome entry. This is not a 100% rule, it's just one route to make sure that folks are using their own content and that the writer is ready to demonstrate it belongs to them.

If an article is clearly your own and it is easily identified that you are the owner with the source clearly pointing to the original material, it really shouldn't be a problem.

GCW, you make a good point about prior ownership of a piece. A few of my own articles are copyrighted and in print. I had to demonstrate that I owned the copyright, which, of course, wasn't difficult. But some people will get frenzied if they find duplicate material out there. If you own it, then just be prepared. On at least two occasions, people have fired off notes to UTB: "AAGGH. He's a plagiarist! His material is in print already." The funny thing is that the material I put up here is even more recent than the print material. And then they wanted proof that I'm the same Ethan Harris as the books. But once that is established with your admin, you do gain a level of trust and it becomes less of a burden if the issue comes up again. If you're a published author, even self-published, you know how long it takes to get a revision to process. On Devtome, you just edit the page. I like the idea that for people who are willing to search, a lot of my content is available open source. It's kind of like an Easter Egg for your audience. And once they are here, they tend to click around. Something like 10% of the people who pop on to my articles click through to other content.

And while I'm thinking about it, there are some writers here who I think should really think of bundling their material to promote Devtome by using Smashwords. Include a front-piece that says something like "This material is freely available on Devtome, the home of content covering a host of genres." Or something like that. My first step in creating accessible, carry-out versions of Devtome content is at the bottom of http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=custer_survivors_101_preface. I want people to take the content, send it to others, pass it around and always know that Devtome is where they got it. Everytime they open the article they should see Devtome as the source. So if anyone has ideas on how to help me track downloads, please let me know. I tried Google Analytics, but it doesn't like the page extensions.
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 04:53:48 PM

so, can someone answer me this question:

to this date, has anyone ever earned DVC by creating free music or sound?

With free music I mean a composition, and with free sound I mean stuff like noises, voices, etc..

smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:33:11 PM

I run into this, too. The search function also has limits. The other day I spent at least half an hour looking for this article (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=where_to_spend_your_cryptocurrencies) with search terms like 'where to spend devcoin,' 'spend devcoin', 'buy with devcoin,' etc. NOTHING. I couldn't remember how I found it, couldn't find a link to it... I finally had to remember one of the names of the actual businesses to get a hit in the top twenty search results.

I think something that would help with this is interlinking articles more when they are relevant. If you see another author's article that you like and is relevant to yours, put a link in the body of your text or 'see more' section ala Wikipedia.

Another thing that could be done is to create new categories for 'opinion pieces,' 'informative articles,' et cetera.

Here's the full devcoin business link: http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=where_to_spend_your_devcoins

@georgem: No site exists like devtome for music, so nobody has earned DVC from it.  Sad  There are not enough admins for a music site.
weisoq

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:09:26 PM

@georgem: No site exists like devtome for music, so nobody has earned DVC from it.  Sad  There are not enough admins for a music site.
It's not just that. For art and music in particular, free is not the same as open-source or at least the scale of licensing matters a lot. Open-source means being willing to relinquish the 'source'. Markm wrote about this in the past, that such forms might amount to the core or stepped design process as well as the finished article. So yes that requires people and expertise, but is also requires artists being willing to release the model, layers, components - source. To be able to broadly utilise open-source people have to be ablt to tweak it, change it, adjust it without necessarily going back to the originator. You can't do that with a complied or locked finality without having all the constituent bits that make up the ends. Music and art, musicians and artists, face this challenge. One step at a time...
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 06:25:42 PM

@georgem: No site exists like devtome for music, so nobody has earned DVC from it.  Sad  There are not enough admins for a music site.
It's not just that. For art and music in particular, free is not the same as open-source or at least the scale of licensing matters a lot. Open-source means being relinquishing the 'source'. Markm wrote about this in the past, that such forms might amount to the core or stepped design process as well as the finished article. So yes that requires people and expertise, but is also requires artists being willing to release the model, layers, components - source. To be able to broadly utilise open-source people have to be ablt to tweak it, change it, adjust it without necessarily going back to the originator. You can't do that with a complied or locked finality without having all the constituent bits that make up the ends.

Yes ok, but wait a minute. If I were to be a voice artist, willing to create copyright free (creative commons) voice samples , does open source in the broader sense mean that I have to give the world access to my vocal chords, so they can tweak my voice the way they like?Huh

At what point does this argument sound completely ridiculous?

I think a devtome for musicians would have to be about free music, meaning the artist has agreed to give the music away for free (well not really, he hopes to earn some DVC) and if available free transcriptions of the notes played (if composition, etc) but open source is not really valid at all with an artform like music, because the musician himself is the source, and he is not going to be able to share his body and spirit not even if he wanted to.

So maybe we shouldn't be so fixed on this definition of open source, because some artforms will simply not work with that definition anyway.

georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 06:31:03 PM

if I create free music, it means I provide the sample materials (WAV files), the midi files, and descriptions about the devices (hardware, software) I used to create that specific sound.
How I distributed the sound on say 8 channels, and what panning, eq and dynamics I used in the mixing. Now THAT does make sense and can be considered open source.

But how do I describe the 10'000 hours I spend training my skills to be able to create the music in the first place?

If "open source" means a person can learn how to reproduce my work, doesn't this mean that he has to learn how to be a professional musician first?
So there is a line that can't be crossed. Open source with music means I explain every step I did, but how do I transmit an explanation for how I moved my vocal chords to create the sound?

georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 06:43:35 PM

Another thing I start wondering:

I have seen that the devcoin wallet looks different than most other coin wallets, because the creator of the devcoin wallet deliberately ommited the usage of the QT library, because it is proprietary.
Well, atleast that's my reasoning why the wallet looks the way it does, or am I just paranoid?

Now let's analyze how incredibly self sabotaging this would be if I was to create free music without using any proprietary  piece of hardware or software.  Huh

Because then I can surrender and abandon my ambition for creating free music for devcoin-network immediately.

Are my fears justified?  Embarrassed

The music I create will be free, because I decide so. But the means to create my music are certainly not free. (over the years I spend a few thousand dollars on music software alone, how much money I put in music hardware and instruments I will not tell you because you would cry.)

giftculturewriting

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:45:55 PM

giftculturewriting - The article you mention, it’s listed under ‘devcoin links’, ‘shopping’, ‘business’ etc, but maybe I’m just assuming people know where to look? Ideas are very welcome

I think this is a perfect example of it being buried. It's *there*, but it's still hard to find. Under the Business section there's a link to Where To Spend Your Altcoins article, which is probably how I found it originally. It's buried under a lot of information, though, and the label 'business' could be misleading, since that's a term typically aimed toward people who want to sell things, rather than people who want to buy things.

'Shopping' exists as a category (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=category:shopping&s[]=shopping), but it's not listed under any of the topics on the mainpage. It's not under commerce, devcoin, or devtome. Even searching simply for 'shopping,' it's the eighth search result. If there's a prominent page where it's linked, I haven't been able to find it, though that's not to say I didn't miss it.

The topic tree is also inconsistent. Some of the links lead to category pages, some directly to articles. This can also be confusing for people trying to categorize their articles who find that a 'category' doesn't exist.

More interlinking will help (I'm trying to add pertinent links to sections as I find them).
Pages: « 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: