Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:27:20 AM

I think one is bitaddress.org, ask KI77ER, he has it in his signature, notice its the same address for btc and dvc on there.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 06:44:10 AM

DVC are selling for .00047 right now!!!
https://vircurex.com/main/index

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
xchrix

Activity: 905
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:55:57 AM

when i look in the orderbook i see 0.00000254 ... chart also shows no spike
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 07:03:59 AM

when i look in the orderbook i see 0.00000254 ... chart also shows no spike

You are looking at DVC/BTC column by the sound of it. Look at the DVC/USD or maybe the USD/DVC.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
jasinlee

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:25:30 AM

Did you get the node info you needed out of that earlier markm?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 07:38:45 AM

I do not know what exactly a DNS seed is, what exactly it is that I have to set up at the DNS-provider, in the zone-records of the domains I want to put DNS seeds into.

Once I have all those set up I can look into putting them into the code if our old caode even has DNS seed support in it.

(If it doesn't I can just find IP addresses to put into the last resort IP addresses list that is in the code.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
jasinlee

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:48:06 AM

I do not know what exactly a DNS seed is, what exactly it is that I have to set up at the DNS-provider, in the zone-records of the domains I want to put DNS seeds into.

Once I have all those set up I can look into putting them into the code if our old caode even has DNS seed support in it.

(If it doesn't I can just find IP addresses to put into the last resort IP addresses list that is in the code.)

-MarkM-

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Network

Bootstrapping

You choose which peers to connect to by sorting your address database by the time since you last saw the address and then adding a bit of randomization.

Bitcoin has three methods of finding peers.

Addr
The addr messages described above create an effect similar to the IRC bootstrapping method. You know reasonably quickly whenever a peer joins, though you won't know for a while when they leave.
Bitcoin comes with a list of addresses known as "seed nodes". If you are unable to connect to IRC and you've never connected to the network before, the client will update the address database by connecting to one of the nodes from this list.
The -addnode command line option can be used to manually add a node. The -connect option can force bitcoin to connect only to a specific node.

DNS
Bitcoin looks up the IP Addresses of several host names and adds those to the list of potential addresses. This is the default seeding mechanism, as of v0.6.x and later.

IRC
As-of version 0.6.x of the Bitcoin client, IRC bootstrapping is no longer enabled by default. The information below is accurate for most versions prior.

Bitcoin joins a random channel between #bitcoin00 and #bitcoin99 on irc.lfnet.org. Your nick is set to an encoded form of your IP address. By decoding all the nicks of all users on the channel, you get a list of all IP addresses currently connected to Bitcoin.
For hosts that cannot make outbound connections on port 6667, the lfnet servers are also listening on port 7777.

Now imagine all the words bitcoin, say devcoin Smiley

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 07:49:16 AM

-MarkM-

You control the zone - so assuming you use a secure approach to management - then lookups will be under your control and done in a responsible way.
I think the terminology has been confused a bit.  The nodes, from what I understand are just full time nodes running on a server with a fast connect and configured to allow a high number of connections to help bootstrap other nodes - ala seed nodes.

You can use DNS round-robin to make config easier for people.  They can just point to a single name - and DNS is setup to round-robin or to use an algo to distribute traffic over the set of DNS records - distributing the traffic a bit.

As IPV6 isn't enabled in dvc (from what saw after a quick lookup) you can't use anything smart with srv records.

With geoDNS for ipv6 or normal IP - you can config things a little smarter as many of the geoIP setups allow you to group a set of DNS records per geo zone.
This would allow EU users to lookup a DNS entry - and get back a subset of the records - so they have a faster bootstrap time than connecting all over the globe when bootstrapping the blockchain.

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 08:30:10 AM

Oh, I thought DNS seed was something along the lines of consult a main key domain such as for us devcoin.org or devcoin.com or devcoin.net and fine in its DNS somehow a whole list of IP addresses of nodes various people all over the net on gosh knows what domains of their own are running 24/7 as seed nodes.

So I was envisioning sometihng like maybe look up nodeip###.devcoin.com for values of ### starting at 001 and continuing until you reach one that does not exist, and each one will tell you the IP address of a different node somewhere out on the net.

I guess I will have to look at the code, if our old code even has DNS seeds in it, and based on what I see there look into setting up a bunch of DNS seeds on devcoin.org and devtome.org or whichever devsomething domains it is that I control, then plug into the hostnames used for that the IP addresses of some nodes that people are committing to run 24/7.

Or is that even what it means?

Maybe it isn't really some special tricky use of DNS at all, maybe all they really mean is that if you have the ability to look up names to resolve IP addresses, then you can name nodes in the code instead of having to put their IP addresses?

I am a little wary of doing DNS lookups because I0coin crashes regularly due to trying to look up an IP address, it seems it might be trying to do some kind of lookup by name of some node it somehow heard about, but the boost library crashes when the lookup fails.

It would be nice to know why only I0coin keeps crashing that way so as to avoid our adding of some need to look up names to other coins causing those other coins to start regularly dying like I0coin regularly does.

-MarkM-

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 09:15:53 AM

Oh, I thought DNS seed was something along the lines of consult a main key domain such as for us devcoin.org or devcoin.com or devcoin.net and fine in its DNS somehow a whole list of IP addresses of nodes various people all over the net on gosh knows what domains of their own are running 24/7 as seed nodes.

With Round Robin DNS you can do that - but with ipv4 it's manual - so you create A records for node.devcoin.org for each IP. 
ipv6 allows more of a dyamic lookup allowing more of dynamic approach - take a look at the srv records here - http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/dnsrecords.htm

Maybe it isn't really some special tricky use of DNS at all, maybe all they really mean is that if you have the ability to look up names to resolve IP addresses, then you can name nodes in the code instead of having to put their IP addresses?
Aye - you can plug in host-names instead of the ip addresses - giving you a little more flexibility with moving nodes about.
The lvl of security is about the same - although I'd suggest adding extra logging for the name -> IP lookup - so you can debug issues should they arise later.
Risks..
About the same as now - to subvert you'd have to add a hosts entry - rather than currently (with ip) you'd have to add a route.

Resolving a dns name to an IP shouldn't cause a crash if you properly wrap the call.
Robust coding.. is robust Smiley

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 10:27:13 AM

Here is the really cool part, you can use bitcoin offline wallets for devcoin. They use the same addresses/private keys. So you can send dvc to a btc address. Then recover them with the private key of that wallet on a devcoin client later.

Attention, this function does not work properly, when you try to import a private key to devcoind from bitcoind you end up with an import error!

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 10:45:00 AM

Use pywallet.py

See https://www.google.ca/search?q=pywallet.py&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

The old code used by devcoin did not have an import command.

-MarkM-

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:58:45 AM

Use pywallet.py

See https://www.google.ca/search?q=pywallet.py&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

-MarkM-

why not linking it directly?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:12:11 AM

Use pywallet.py

-MarkM-

Any plan on updating devcoin code to bitcoin 0.8.1 ?

I'm in fact struggling with electrum and try to set up an online wallet for devcoin, but the devcoin code is so old that electrum's patch for bitcoin doesn't work Sad

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:05:57 PM

-MarkM-

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Network

Bootstrapping

You choose which peers to connect to by sorting your address database by the time since you last saw the address and then adding a bit of randomization.

Bitcoin has three methods of finding peers.

Addr
The addr messages described above create an effect similar to the IRC bootstrapping method. You know reasonably quickly whenever a peer joins, though you won't know for a while when they leave.
Bitcoin comes with a list of addresses known as "seed nodes". If you are unable to connect to IRC and you've never connected to the network before, the client will update the address database by connecting to one of the nodes from this list.
The -addnode command line option can be used to manually add a node. The -connect option can force bitcoin to connect only to a specific node.

DNS
Bitcoin looks up the IP Addresses of several host names and adds those to the list of potential addresses. This is the default seeding mechanism, as of v0.6.x and later.

IRC
As-of version 0.6.x of the Bitcoin client, IRC bootstrapping is no longer enabled by default. The information below is accurate for most versions prior.

Bitcoin joins a random channel between #bitcoin00 and #bitcoin99 on irc.lfnet.org. Your nick is set to an encoded form of your IP address. By decoding all the nicks of all users on the channel, you get a list of all IP addresses currently connected to Bitcoin.
For hosts that cannot make outbound connections on port 6667, the lfnet servers are also listening on port 7777.

Now imagine all the words bitcoin, say devcoin Smiley

Except that  does not match the code.

Seed nodes are not round robin dns either btw.

There are two types of seed nodes, one of which must be a fixed ip address, which is what we can easily support in the code right now.  The other is a custom DDNS server (that is what the dns seeds code it meant to talk to, not round robin dns for a single node).

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
twobits

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:09:19 PM

-MarkM-

The DNS seed is meant to talk to a custom DDNS server that keeps a list of active live seen nodes, and sends them on request to the clients, picking 10 or so to send.   It is meant to replace the IRC peer finding.   

I already have put in the two valid hard coded seeds posted here so far into the code I am doing... so you can just pick that up.  Now if we can only actually chat on irc sometime like I have been trying to for the past few days... seems we just dont keep the same schedule.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 12:11:10 PM

So does this custom DDNS server exist at all? And if so is it free open source?

-MarkM-

twobits

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:12:41 PM

Here is the really cool part, you can use bitcoin offline wallets for devcoin. They use the same addresses/private keys. So you can send dvc to a btc address. Then recover them with the private key of that wallet on a devcoin client later.

Attention, this function does not work properly, when you try to import a private key to devcoind from bitcoind you end up with an import error!

Could be because bitcoin now supports compressed keys by default and devcoin does not have support for them.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
twobits

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:14:54 PM

So does this custom DDNS server exist at all? And if so is it free open source?

-MarkM-

Yes it exits.   No idea about the code availability.. I dont think all of it is publicly available , at least it was not last I checked.  On the other hand, it would not be too hard to create,   just a matter of programming as they say.  Or in other words time.  Also if we do this, we should probably also stash the location of the hosts to find receiver files into it.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
jasinlee

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:15:39 PM

Could be because bitcoin now supports compressed keys by default and devcoin does not have support for them.

We have a standing bounty to bring dvc to 0.8.1?

Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: