Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:13:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:27:17 PM

It looks like I'm cloned successfully Grin

Oh, no sir. I know who you are.
I have had my net handle for at least 7 years.
I have no affiliation with you. And my screen name was meant to have no reference to the novel by Lawrence Durrell.
It's a joke, don't worry Wink

No worries on my end.
As in my case too. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:28:12 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 04:40:03 PM by markm

Speaking of being strategic, maybe those who do write fiction could try to weave pretty much any and all content of the devtome into it all, so that the various topics remain relevant and possibly even important on both sides of "the fourth wall".

Part of why Freud and Pavlov are so useful in fiction is that, as well known characters even to mere historians and such not only to readers of fiction, they can be used to inject entire bodies of psychological theory into a work of fiction without needing to crunch the entire body of their work into the pages. Sometimes a mere mention of them (in a wiki of course that would be a link to the information about them) can save many many words, enabling what might have had to be a novel to be rendered as a short story thanks to the use of such well-known characters as a kind of shorthand. (Literary allusion?)

The Galactic Milieu specifically mentions the existence of GNU, the whole Grand Nexus Uberplan is in fact explained as being part of the work people from the planets of the Milieu are doing on this mythical planet (because, of course, even though it is a planet reputed to be mythical it does, like the other famous mythical planet D'ydii, actually exist...)

The softwarew we on Earth use to play the Milieu also exists in the Milieu itself, some of it disguised as mere games so the peoples on these primitive planets such as ours won't cotton on to the whole Grand Nexus Uberplan behind it all until too late (too late to prevent becoming yet another "civilised" planet of the Milieu, presumably).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:30:43 PM

I think a limit of 20 or 30 shares per month for writing isn't a bad idea - but I don't think there should be any other limits except this. Some people are no doubt sitting on many, many thousands of words of work and if one person uploads it all to Devtome in one month it could cause a crash of sorts and share value will plummet. The smart thing for anyone to do is space out their work and not add more than 50 000 words in one month anyway - but I don't think all people can be strategic about it in this way.

I think some stability (or more gradual reduction in value over time) of generation share value is actually a good thing and would in the best interests of Devtome, Devcoin, and the writers.

Per month or per round? Because the time to make it through a round can fluctuate based on the hashrate of the network, whereas a month is a static time, so lets say the network slows down and it takes 2 months to make it through a round, there would still be people who could obtain their 60 shares a round which seems to have people bothered right now.

Sorry, I mean per round. I mean I felt like my 30 shares was more than enough, and wouldn't try and earn more than that in one round for everyone's sake, I think 100+ going to one person is unfair on everyone else in the Devcoin project who also works hard for their generation shares.

But, maybe I will have to do 100 000 words next round to keep up! Shocked
Balthozar

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:37:00 PM

I think a limit of 20 or 30 shares per month for writing isn't a bad idea - but I don't think there should be any other limits except this. Some people are no doubt sitting on many, many thousands of words of work and if one person uploads it all to Devtome in one month it could cause a crash of sorts and share value will plummet. The smart thing for anyone to do is space out their work and not add more than 50 000 words in one month anyway - but I don't think all people can be strategic about it in this way.

I think some stability (or more gradual reduction in value over time) of generation share value is actually a good thing and would in the best interests of Devtome, Devcoin, and the writers.

Per month or per round? Because the time to make it through a round can fluctuate based on the hashrate of the network, whereas a month is a static time, so lets say the network slows down and it takes 2 months to make it through a round, there would still be people who could obtain their 60 shares a round which seems to have people bothered right now.

Sorry, I mean per round. I mean I felt like my 30 shares was more than enough, and wouldn't try and earn more than that in one round for everyone's sake, I think 100+ going to one person is unfair on everyone else in the Devcoin project who also works hard for their generation shares.

I agree that a limit would benefit the community, it would provide a more sustained growth of devtome, rather than extremely large amounts of information being added in spurts. I think this should all wait until next round though, It's like changing the rules of a game half way through the game.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:39:22 PM

The only person with 100+ shares from what I could see was Unthinkingbit.
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=daily_script_results

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:39:34 PM

I agree that a limit would benefit the community, it would provide a more sustained growth of devtome, rather than extremely large amounts of information being added in spurts. I think this should all wait until next round though, It's like changing the rules of a game half way through the game.

Yes of course, if there is support for these ideas I also think we should wait until next round, otherwise it is unfair again on those who have worked hard for their shares this round. I'm thinking in the same terms though; a sustainable system which benefits all of the community for the long term. Of course, this is just my opinion.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:40:47 PM

I don't think information will ever be added to Devtome in spurts again, 1) I am not leaving 2) I think traffic is just gonna go up from here.

termhn

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:41:48 PM

I have another question. What exactly is eligible for a bounty? Any open source piece of software? What are the limits? Does it extend to software like a game? Thanks!  Grin
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:49:11 PM

Bounties are for items the devcoin project itself needs.

Things like free open source games, music, hardware, whatever, that is not something this project itself directly needs to have done, aren't rewarded with bounties they are rewarded after the fact (well, more like during the fact, I guess) by adding the creator or dev team to the receivers list.

So for example if you gather a few friends and form a team to create a free open source game, at some point along the line it might be noticed your game is popular and useful and the team is putting in 40 hours a month or more on it, and the team might be given a spot ion the receivers list; how they would divvy up the resulting coins among the members of the team is left up to them I guess, usually by putting their designated "team leader" or "lead dev" on the list and letting them divvy it up, maybe?

In the case of a huge project with a whole lot of bearing on devcoin, such as Open Transactions, a few pieces of the project each have a receivers list entry in effect; that is, something like three separate people, possibly even more (I am not sure, I know three for sure) are on the receivers list on account of the fact they are working on aspects of Open Transactions.

Bounties are for when we need something and no one is already doing it so a bounty seems necessary in order to get it done.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:49:21 PM

I don't think information will ever be added to Devtome in spurts again, 1) I am not leaving 2) I think traffic is just gonna go up from here.

Right, but let's say someone else like you, who has tons of material to post shows up and blasts devtome with 200,000 words. I agree that traffic will continue to grow, but I don't want to see a "pump and dump" scenario happen. Someone (with bad intentions) comes in and grabs up those 100,000,000 DVC, sells them right after for BTC or USD or whatever, that floods the market and thus we will see it crash.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:51:36 PM

Right, but let's say someone else like you, who has tons of material to post shows up and blasts devtome with 200,000 words. I agree that traffic will continue to grow, but I don't want to see a "pump and dump" scenario happen. Someone (with bad intentions) comes in and grabs up those 100,000,000 DVC, sells them right after for BTC or USD or whatever, that floods the market and thus we will see it crash.

Devtome is reaching a tipping point and I do not want to see the next 6 months full of people pumping it for 100+ shares and then just selling out, crashing the price, and generally not actually helping DVC in the long term. This is also my fear.

EDIT: of course though once there are enough writers, no one writer will have a huge impact on the generation share value, as there will just be too many people writing, I anticipate this will be in roughly six months from my rough intuitive projections. Highly scientific Smiley
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:57:06 PM

Yes, exactly.

If Stephen King decides to donate all his novels to Devtome, he can post the 30 or 50 or whatever is decided thousands of words per round directly to the devtome through the next umpteen decades, along with articles about his miraculous rejuvenation treatments that allow him to live long enough, and/or we can spawn an "entire works of literature hosted in their entirety" site alongside devtome where he can plop an entire novel at a time at maybe a share per novel plus advertising revenue, or whatever compromise we need to come up with to get our hands on such a popular body of work. Smiley

How many words has the previously champion author been posting per round historically? (Unthinkingbit)

Albeit he tends to post three times as many actual words for a given amount of bounty as he tends to rework existing material rather than make up a bunch of fiction like some people. Smiley

That might give us an idea how many shares for writing has been historically normal or acceptable in the past.

-MarkM-

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:59:03 PM

I don't think that will happen.

1) 100,000 words is just too much. I posted 2 books I'm writing and didn't get that many...

2) I don't think it is possible to get 100,000,000 coins... I get your point, I am just making my own that 100,000 shares would probably be like 40,000,000 DVC as long as Unthinkingbit keeps writing every round.

3) If they flood the market, that will peak interest. Just like with BTC, every time they get cheap, EVERYONE comes and buys a few. The price of DVC going down isn't a bad thing unless you only have short term vision.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:01:39 PM

Devtome is reaching a tipping point and I do not want to see the next 6 months full of people pumping it for 100+ shares and then just selling out, crashing the price, and generally not actually helping DVC in the long term. This is also my fear.

EDIT: of course though once there are enough writers, no one writer will have a huge impact on the generation share value, as there will just be too many people writing, I anticipate this will be in roughly six months from my rough intuitive projections. Highly scientific Smiley

Agreed, this is the tipping point and I give it the same amount of time, but I like putting a short end on it too, so 3-6 months is my guess. That's when they will be worth 1 penny each or more (in my estimation).

And I think people will flood in, but  don't think too many people are just going to "Cash out and leave" because they can come back every month and make more. Smiley

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:03:01 PM

2) I don't think it is possible to get 100,000,000 coins...

A round is 180,000,000 coins; not sure if that is before or after the miners take their 10%.

Oh duh it'd be after, else it'd be 200,000,000 coins. Silly me. Elementary math.

-MarkM-

Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

Yes, exactly.

If Stephen King decides to donate all his novels to Devtome, he can post the 30 or 50 or whatever is decided thousands of words per round directly to the devtome through the next umpteen decades, along with articles about his miraculous rejuvenation treatments that allow him to live long enough, and/or we can spawn an "entire works of literature hosted in their entirety" site alongside devtome where he can plop an entire novel at a time at maybe a share per novel plus advertising revenue, or whatever compromise we need to come up with to get our hands on such a popular body of work. Smiley

-MarkM-

Right, but Stephen King, just a hunch, probably isn't looking to make DVC by posting his novels to a small site for the rest of his life. He has his career and his money. I, on the other hand, am a college student full time, that isn't employed for that fact, and this is a way for me to make a little extra money, it's more of an investment though, because I'm not going to take my DVC and cash them out, I am going to save them, give some away, and other things to help the market grow, then after a while, if I need $100 I can just sell off $100 worth of DVC.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:04:16 PM

3) If they flood the market, that will peak interest. Just like with BTC, every time they get cheap, EVERYONE comes and buys a few. The price of DVC going down isn't a bad thing unless you only have short term vision.

Ex:
I am glad DVC does not cost $10 a coin right now, because I can post advertisements on YouTube saying "Come buy 20 coins for 1 penny!"... I really don't think it would be as easy to get people to want to buy $10 coins, no matter who they support, unless someone makes a store to spend them in.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:05:15 PM

A round is 180,000,000 coins; not sure if that is before or after the miners take their 10%.

Oh duh it'd be after, else it'd be 200,000,000 coins. Silly me. Elementary math.

-MarkM-

Yeah it's "possible" but I don't think 100,000,000 coins for one person in a round (besides unthinkingbit) is achievable.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:05:57 PM

And I think people will flood in, but  don't think too many people are just going to "Cash out and leave" because they can come back every month and make more. Smiley

Not with their entire lifetime ouvre of previously written work they can't, if they already posted the whole shebang during their first round. They'd sign up, dump their entire lifetime's accumulated writings (maybe from back in their college days when they actually did write stuff), dump the resulting coins for cash or bitcoins and not be back (because writing isn't even something they do, it is something the youth they once were once did...)

Plus, who is going to pay people how much to read hundreds of thousands of words per month and check it all for originality and such?

We need some limit if only to make it barely possible the stuff might actually get read in time to see it is all just "Jack is a dull boy, REDRUM" repeated tens of thousands of times...

-MarkM-

Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:06:43 PM

-MarkM-

Yeah it's "possible" but I don't think 100,000,000 coins for one person in a round (besides unthinkingbit) is achievable.

It was an example. The numbers can be whatever you want.

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: