Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:11:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:23:25 PM

It hasn't been updated in 8 months.
The author has not made the source code available and has refused any request to do so.

That is disappointing as it looks like a promising dedicated light mining OS.

Are there any alternative Linux OSes that have the Bitcoin client and/or miners natively installed?

BAMT is a usb based distro that comes ready to mine with phoenix, phoenix2 or cgminer:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65915.0 or http://bamter.org/

Kano maintains a script for making a cgminer bootable usb:  https://github.com/kanoi/linux-usb-cgminer/blob/master/linux-usb-cgminer

I tried BAMT but I had problems recognizing more than 1 GPU Sad
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lodcrappo

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:27:03 PM

It hasn't been updated in 8 months.
The author has not made the source code available and has refused any request to do so.

That is disappointing as it looks like a promising dedicated light mining OS.

Are there any alternative Linux OSes that have the Bitcoin client and/or miners natively installed?

BAMT is a usb based distro that comes ready to mine with phoenix, phoenix2 or cgminer:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65915.0 or http://bamter.org/

Kano maintains a script for making a cgminer bootable usb:  https://github.com/kanoi/linux-usb-cgminer/blob/master/linux-usb-cgminer

I tried BAMT but I had problems recognizing more than 1 GPU Sad

We can fix that if you submit a bug report on our support site:  http://bamter.org/redmine/projects/bamt

Not only will you get software that works better, but so will the next guy who happens to have whatever combination of things that is currently causing trouble for you.

Rest assured, hundreds of multi GPU rigs around the world are mining with BAMT right now.   The largest farm (that I am aware of) is over 50 Ghash, and a few are in the 30 Ghash range.

drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:02:44 PM

I haven't refused to release the source code  Tongue Just lost interest in bitcoins Cheesy
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:03:54 PM

I haven't refused to release the source code  Tongue Just lost interest in bitcoins Cheesy

Those aren't mutually exclusive.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:12:01 PM

No but just can't be bothered to go through the hassle. I've lost half the stuff and the rest is trivial. It's there if you want to pull it apart and if it was some big ass attempt to steal coins I'd of milked it by now. It's nice to see people still using it and also glad not to hear any stories about loosing bitcoins stored using linuxcoin.

To tell you the truth I'm surprised no one else took it on :/ Anyway I'm leaving the site live at my cost and traffic just on my server alone is in the terabytes.  
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 07:22:30 PM

No but just can't be bothered to go through the hassle. I've lost half the stuff and the rest is trivial. It's there if you want to pull it apart and if it was some big ass attempt to steal coins I'd of milked it by now. It's nice to see people still using it and also glad not to hear any stories about loosing bitcoins stored using linuxcoin.

To tell you the truth I'm surprised no one else took it on :/ Anyway I'm leaving the site live at my cost and traffic just on my server alone is in the terabytes. 

That was never the main reason.  The main reason for open source is to avoid duplication of work.  When you gave up on the project had it been open source someone could have taken over where you left off.

Without the source there is no "taking over".  It is more like "I am surprised nobody started over from scratch to make an alternative".  Well they did there are numerous Bitcoin niche distros that started from scratch.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:43:28 PM

That was never the main reason.  The main reason for open source is to avoid duplication of work.  When you gave up on the project had it been open source someone could have taken over where you left off.

Without the source there is no "taking over".  It is more like "I am surprised nobody started over from scratch to make an alternative".  Well they did there are numerous Bitcoin niche distros that started from scratch.

Ahh cool Cheesy I knew of BAMT but haven't heard of anymore ?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 11:59:54 PM

Ahh cool Cheesy I knew of BAMT but haven't heard of anymore ?

p2pcoin is largely based on linuxcoin, and it runs a self-contained p2pool node.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 07:41:18 AM

I still think Linuxcoin could be useful if further developed.

This is mainly because it is small compared to BAMT ( 700 MB ) and always detects my GPUs.

Too bad developer does not have time for this and refuses to open source so somebody else can take his place. Sad
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:45:14 PM

Well I wish I could spend time on little things like linuxcoin. Maybe I'll find the time to make linuxcoin into something more in the future.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 10:49:52 PM

Well I wish I could spend time on little things like linuxcoin. Maybe I'll find the time to make linuxcoin into something more in the future.
Why not just release your live-build configs and such?  Shouldn't everything linuxcoin just be in a folder you can make public?

I would have donated a long while ago if you hadn't abandoned the project with no source and no ability to move it forward.  And it has nothing to do with the abandonment, and everything to do with not being able to move forward. I went to BAMT and have been happy with it, but I still see a future for Linuxcoin.

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:54:19 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2012, 11:10:51 PM by drgr33n

Why not just release your live-build configs and such?  Shouldn't everything linuxcoin just be in a folder you can make public?

I would have donated a long while ago if you hadn't abandoned the project with no source and no ability to move it forward.  And it has nothing to do with the abandonment, and everything to do with not being able to move forward. I went to BAMT and have been happy with it, but I still see a future for Linuxcoin.

Didn't exist Tongue I didn't use debian's live scripts to create linuxcoin it was all thrown together not really knowing the fully how to put a more official version together so it was all laid out in a folder on an old laptop. Unfortunately I lost the "source".

And to tell you the truth I'm not bothered about donations too it was a learning experience and I gained knowledge so I'm happy Cheesy I haven't checked my bitcoin wallet for around 8 months.

Linuxcoin has soooooo much potential !! I had lots of plans and unfinished work to put in motion Sad I'd love to have the time. Maybe I'll collaborate on another distro. That way I can put as much work in as life allows me without holding up progress.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Why not just release your live-build configs and such?  Shouldn't everything linuxcoin just be in a folder you can make public?

I would have donated a long while ago if you hadn't abandoned the project with no source and no ability to move it forward.  And it has nothing to do with the abandonment, and everything to do with not being able to move forward. I went to BAMT and have been happy with it, but I still see a future for Linuxcoin.

Didn't exist Tongue I didn't use debian's live scripts to create linuxcoin it was all thrown together not really knowing the fully how to put a more official version together so it was all laid out in a folder on an old laptop. Unfortunately I lost the "source".
Ah okay.  Well thats too bad then Sad

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 11:33:56 PM

Ah okay.  Well thats too bad then Sad

There's not a lot to linuxcoin really. I suppose the kernel work was the most painful, most other things were pretty much as they come. Anyway I can never 100% promise I will get time soon but when I'm settled into my new home I'd love to at least get the ball rolling and put something open source together. Linuxcoin need lots of love and attention, Not to mention a 32bit version. It's nice to see linuxcoin still being used by peops though. So I'd say a dead but not buried project Cheesy 
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 05:14:18 AM

And to tell you the truth I'm not bothered about donations too it was a learning experience and I gained knowledge so I'm happy Cheesy I haven't checked my bitcoin wallet for around 8 months.

Linuxcoin has soooooo much potential !! I had lots of plans and unfinished work to put in motion Sad I'd love to have the time. Maybe I'll collaborate on another distro. That way I can put as much work in as life allows me without holding up progress.

Ha!  I don't feel so bad about my ghetto process for building p2pcoin now.  I just have a folder and a script to build the squashfs, ISO and torrent.  I've been merging packages into that folder by hand.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 08:11:46 AM

Ha!  I don't feel so bad about my ghetto process for building p2pcoin now.  I just have a folder and a script to build the squashfs, ISO and torrent.  I've been merging packages into that folder by hand.

haha cause thats how we roll Cheesy
ummas

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:45:41 AM

I`m exploring linuxcoin for 1 day Smiley linux generally for a bit.
I can upgrade drivers in ubuntu, but cant do that same moves on linuxcoin.
I need to install 12.2 at least.
Donno why the answer is always like: uninstall fglrx, but when i try to do so(sudo dpkg -r fglrx ....) he andwers - there is no fglrx installed. Can any1 tell me where to find sollution??
tHx
nebiz

Activity: 87
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:07:10 AM

Hi OP - do you still have a link for this project?  I was an early user/donor and would like to try it out again.

tips: 1KY4hsybyqpTdxy8nSXh3KUKRi8jeGH8Jx
Sy
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Bounty Detective

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:20:55 PM

I`m exploring linuxcoin for 1 day Smiley linux generally for a bit.
I can upgrade drivers in ubuntu, but cant do that same moves on linuxcoin.
I need to install 12.2 at least.
Donno why the answer is always like: uninstall fglrx, but when i try to do so(sudo dpkg -r fglrx ....) he andwers - there is no fglrx installed. Can any1 tell me where to find sollution??
tHx

Try
Code:
/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh --force

BOUNTY DETECTIVE