Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:38:58 AM

Are you guys booting with the persistence option ?

Thanks for all the email and host links guys !! I'll reply to you all tomorrow as its very late now and I need to get some sleep Cheesy

PS:

Check out this demo of linuxcoin acting a s a pxe server and distributing itself Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVN4l3RomI

Yep did everything like I did in the last version.. even did it 2 times to make sure I was doing it right.  Not sure what the problem is.

Aside from that, I love the changes you've made.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:41:24 AM

Thanks for all the email and host links guys !! I'll reply to you all tomorrow as its very late now and I need to get some sleep Cheesy

PS:

Check out this demo of linuxcoin acting a s a pxe server and distributing itself Wink

If you can create a bit for bit image file of an 8gb partitioned persistent stick running .2b, that would make a lot of people's lives a lot easier. The persistence doesn't work, even after modifying syslinux.cfg in the windows readable portion of the stick. In .2b there's no /media/x09sd9fj to unmount.

Is it possible to instead create a bin or img file that can be written bit for bit to an equally partitioned usb stick? There are sure to be a few windows based programs that allow for bit level cloning ala ghost.

I'll pay you or anyone else $50 for this tutorial/image file via paypal. I want to see LinuxCoin own.

drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:08:02 AM

PS:

If you can create a bit for bit image file of an 8gb partitioned persistent stick running .2b, that would make a lot of people's lives a lot easier. The persistence doesn't work, even after modifying syslinux.cfg in the windows readable portion of the stick. In .2b there's no /media/x09sd9fj to unmount.

Is it possible to instead create a bin or img file that can be written bit for bit to an equally partitioned usb stick? There are sure to be a few windows based programs that allow for bit level cloning ala ghost.

I'll pay you or anyone else $50 for this tutorial/image file via paypal. I want to see LinuxCoin own.

I've just tested and persistence works fine ?

/dev/sr0 is my CD rom and /dev/sda1 is a quick harddisk I created in vmware and formatted to ext4 labeling live-rw

Follow the guide until you get to boot from linuxcoin. Next open up a root terminal and type

Code:
fdisk /dev/sd*

* = your HDD number. If you don't know what it is then type

Code:
df

And look for what drive is mounted as /live/image. That's the one you want.

next type
Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L live-rw /dev/sd*2

and wait for it to complete.

Then reboot and select LinuxCoin persistent and your golden
trueimage

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:36:46 AM

Getting a bunch of "deprecation warning" messages using phoenix, linuxcoin 0.2b ?

Seems to be just when I start it up?

'enqueue_read_buffer' has been deprecated in version 2011.1. Please use enqueue_copy() instead.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:39:51 AM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 05:55:43 AM by drgr33n

EDIT: Even easier way to use persistence on the way !! Literally just drop a file onto your flash media and your golden Cheesy

Files are being uploaded now I'll link em when they are complete. Might take a while though because they total 3.5GB and I'm on a 3G connection.

I've tested and they work great !!

Getting a bunch of "deprecation warning" messages using phoenix, linuxcoin 0.2b ?

Seems to be just when I start it up?

'enqueue_read_buffer' has been deprecated in version 2011.1. Please use enqueue_copy() instead.

Thats due to pyopencl being updated to the latest version. It's nothing to worry about and really should be taken up with the author of phoenix Wink

trueimage

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:13:05 AM

Nifty progress today.

Code: (/home/user/.config/autostart/auto.desktop)
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=coin
Exec=lxterminal --command "/home/user/start.sh"
Terminal=true

Code: (/home/user/start.sh)
#!/bin/bash
xhost +
echo $DISPLAY > /home/user/.display
lxterminal --title miner1_start --command "/home/user/miner1.sh"
lxterminal --title miner2_start --command "/home/user/miner2.sh"

Code: (/home/user/miner1.sh)
#!/bin/bash
cd /opt/miners/phoenix
./phoenix.py -u http://__USER__:__PASSWORD__@__PROXY/POOL__:__PORT__/ -k phatk BFI_INT VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=11 DEVICE=0

Code: (/home/user/miner2.sh)
#!/bin/bash
cd /opt/miners/phoenix
./phoenix.py -u http://__USER__:__PASSWORD__@__PROXY/POOL__:__PORT__/ -k phatk BFI_INT VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=11 DEVICE=1

Code: (/home/user/restart.sh)
#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=`cat /home/user/.display`
pc=`ps waxuf | grep miner1.sh -c`
ld=`aticonfig --odgc --adapter=0 | grep "GPU load" | cut -c 30-35 | cut -d % -f 1`
if [[ $pc -lt 2 ||  $ld -lt 50 ]] ; then
 killall -KILL miner1.sh
 nohup lxterminal --title miner1 --command /home/user/miner1.sh &
fi
pc=`ps waxuf | grep miner2.sh -c`
ld=`aticonfig --odgc --adapter=1 | grep "GPU load" | cut -c 30-35 | cut -d % -f 1`
if [[ $pc -lt 2 ||  $ld -lt 50 ]] ; then
 killall -KILL miner2.sh
 nohup lxterminal --title miner2 --command /home/user/miner2.sh &
fi

Code: (crontab -e)
1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * * /home/user/restart.sh

miner1.sh and miner2.sh are owned by root.root, and are setuid/setgid (mode 6755) while the others are owned by user.user and are mode 0755.

Very simple to extend this to multiple miners, and it will restart any that are crashed or hung.

I'm using these scripts, everything seems to be working great.

2x 5830 @ 900/300
using phoenix, k phatk PLATFORM=0 DEVICE=1 VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP=false WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=12
getting 272-273 Mhash/s on each card

top card is 71C, bottom is 65C

this is a temp setup though and will have my boards for 4 cards soon and moving to a better cooling platform
trueimage

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:14:55 AM

almost forgot, anyone here implement anything like:

1. publishing the temps and mhash/s etc to a website for remote summary?
2. a script that will kill the miner(s) if the temps get too high?
trueimage

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:24:18 AM

PS:

What is the problem? you make 2 partitions, one fat32 and put the linuxcoin image on it with unetbootin. The second, leave as free space. boot in default mode, follow the "old" guide..

if you have /dev/sda1 as the linuxcoin partition:

fdisk /dev/sda
n
p
enter
enter
w

shutdown, restart choosing persistent mode

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2 -L live-rw
enter
enter

sudo df

you should see:
/dev/sda1 ... /live/image
/dev/sda2 ... /live/cow

now shutdown, plug the usb stick into your pc and edit /live/image/syslinux.cfg and put the last 2 lines under persistent where the last 2 lines for default were. now it will be persistent mode by default
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:48:39 AM

PS:

What is the problem? you make 2 partitions, one fat32 and put the linuxcoin image on it with unetbootin. The second, leave as free space. boot in default mode, follow the "old" guide..

fdisk /dev/sda
n
p
enter
enter
w

enter
enter

sudo df

you should see:
/dev/sda2 ... /live/cow

now shutdown, plug the usb stick into your pc and edit /live/image/syslinux.cfg and put the last 2 lines under persistent where the last 2 lines for default were. now it will be persistent mode by default
If you want persistence to be larger than 2GB follow this if not just format the whole flash media as fat32 and install with unetbootin and then download a virtual hdd from the links in the first post and extract it onto the root of your flash media (when all the ubn files are Cheesy)
Folax

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:57:35 AM

I'm stuck at sudo df....

here's the output. anyone have ideas? it looks like the referenced /media/ mentioned in the post doesn't exist on my output. i have a tmpfs mounted on /live/cow but.. well.. i'm stuck. help!

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
aufs                   1862288     12352   1849936   1% /
tmpfs                     5120         0      5120   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                   372460       572    371888   1% /run
tmpfs                     5120         0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                   744916        44    744872   1% /tmp
udev                   1853764         0   1853764   0% /dev
tmpfs                   744916       144    744772   1% /run/shm
/dev/sdb1              2096288   2095764       524 100% /live/image
tmpfs                  1862288     12352   1849936   1% /live/cow
tmpfs                  1862288         0   1862288   0% /live
This is exactly what I have now too with v0.2b and I have not checked yet if I have persistence or not, I just mine for now and if I encounter the urgent need to have persistency, I will bother someone again.
The only real gain I had with persistence enabled was that it remembered the background and font color of the root terminal, and in v0.2b these settings are back to black/white again so if I have to reboot ever, I don't have to do any settings, all is setup for me, thanks to Gr33n  Smiley

So if you don't get persistence working, ask yourself: do I need it? Is all the effort that goes into making it work worth the time that you are now not mining? What settings is it remembering that you really need?

I just go to /opt/miners/phoenix and then run the miner, then I click AMDOverclockCtrl tool and set my clocks.
All done, nothing to do here for weeks. Until next LinuxCoin version comes out Wink

My GF thinks I'm useless, if you think otherwise and can proof it to her, please do so and donate:
14wG6u2bAD9q1nLmLL9MST1ZzbTE9Pt8nG
goldbit

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:25:32 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 04:57:59 PM by goldbit

Hi,

A Linux/LinuxCoin newbie here and just started installing LinuxCoin yesterday.

I have the same problem as some people here that version 2.0b does not work.

I have installed 2.0a by following the instructions and I am able to run with persistent.
Then I have another flash drive installed 2.0b and boot again with this newly created flash drive. I am not sure if I have persistent or not (I chose that option), but all the software are 2.0b version now Smiley

Another question:

I was running windows 7 64bit before. Now, it won't allow me to boot up windows again. When it boots, it give me some error message saying something like system file error, and the only way I can boot is using LinuxCoin now. Need some advice on how to boot up windows.

Thx!
malavita

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:54:45 PM

PS:

fdisk /dev/sda
n
p
enter
enter
w

enter
enter

sudo df

you should see:
/dev/sda2 ... /live/cow

This works fine - can't get to edit syslinux.cfg in root mode as to allow saved changes, though.  Any Ideas?

Somebody's gotta finance this revolution - you can help by donating supplies, ammo, field hospital beds or simply BTCs here: 1QBNASECM8z2LLojkqZH3s2F8Ur7nhafNc
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:56:44 PM

Hi drgr33n,

starting screen in 0.2b gives

user@linuxcoin:~$ screen
Directory '/var/run/screen' must have mode 777.

this is on a usb key after enabling persistence (and removing kexec and that annoying read x < /dev/console inside /etc/init.d/live-boot.sh) Smiley

best regards.

spiccioli
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:59:39 PM

Common peops all you have to do is put the fooking file into the root of the flash media Cheesy I'll do a video guide covering everything in about an hour.

Hi,

I Linux/LinuxCoin newbie here and just started installing LinuxCoin yesterday.

I have the same problem as some people here that version 2.0b does not work.

I have installed 2.0a by following the instructions and I am able to run with persistent.
Then I have another flash drive installed 2.0b and boot again with this newly created flash drive. I am not sure if I have persistent or not (I chose that option), but all the software are 2.0b version now Smiley

I have another question:

I was running windows 7 64bit before. Now, it won't allow me to boot up windows again. When it boots, it give me some error message saying something like system file error, and the only way I can boot is using LinuxCoin now. Need some advice for this newbie.

Thx!

Whoops look like you may of wrote to the wrong disk bud Sad in no way does Linuxcoin touch your hdd. Load up Linuxcoin and post the results of typing the following into a root terminal.

Code:
df -h
Fdisk /dev/sda
p
q

And I'll help you out more.

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:12:04 PM

Forget the old tutorials guys and read the first post again. It's as simple as 123 to install Linuxcoin with persistence. No os swap no two partitions. Just format your drive as fat32 forget about partitions. Download a filesystem image from the link in the first post and extract it to your flash media. Reboot and select Linuxcoin persistent.

You don't need to edit syslinux and you dont need to get technical lol just use the image files unless you are comfortable with using Linux to format your partitions. I worked hard getting this right so you didn't have to mess about and get your hands dirty Cheesy

Hi drgr33n,

starting screen in 0.2b gives

user@linuxcoin:~$ screen
Directory '/var/run/screen' must have mode 777.

this is on a usb key after enabling persistence (and removing kexec and that annoying read x < /dev/console inside /etc/init.d/live-boot.sh) Smiley

best regards.

spiccioli

Dang Sad you can fix by changing the permissions on that file for now.

Code:
chmod 777 /var/run/screen 

To the second issue ?? I may be being thick to lack of sleep but I didn't get what annoying thing ?
TheVirus

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:20:53 PM

Booted to .2b and tried to login, it fails. I tried user/live, user/user, live/live, live/user. Nothing works, neither on the main login window or a different TTY.

Edit: Rebooted to Default and then again into Persistent mode and it brought me to a desktop. Not sure what happened.
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:38:43 PM

Code:

To the second issue ?? I may be being thick to lack of sleep but I didn't get what annoying thing ?

drgr33n,

if you want to be able to reboot a rig from remote and be sure that it is fully re-initialized (maybe because you find it hanged with a kernel trap), you need to:

- remove from /etc/init.d/live-boot the request that reads "remove USB key and press enter to reboot", this is the annoying thing Smiley and to accomplish this you have to remove the line "read x < /dev/console" which is the command that stops the re-boot waiting for a key

- change /etc/default/kexec where it says: LOAD_KEXEC=true, put false instead, so that you always do a cold reboot. A sudo coldreboot does the same thing, but if you're remote and issue a sudo reboot for error... dang, system locked Smiley

BTW, is Catalyst 11.6 installed?

I'm trying to put a 5870 to 885,300 and it says

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all

Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    157           300
             Current Peak :    725           1000
  Configurable Peak Range : [550-900]     [900-1250]
                 GPU load :    0%

Adapter 1 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    157           300
             Current Peak :    850           1200
  Configurable Peak Range : [600-900]     [900-1300]
                 GPU load :    0%

and then

Code:
user@linuxcoin:~$ DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odsc=900,300 --adapter=1
ERROR - Set clocks failed for Adapter 1 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
        Please check that input values were valid

what am I doing wrong?

spiccioli
TheVirus

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:44:38 PM

New issue: Running in persistent mode and enabled encryption on the user's home directory. I also changed the auto-login script in inittab. I rebooted and was prompted with the desktop with the missing background/menu items. It seems to have auto-logged in as the user. I logged out and logged back in as the user using my own password, so far so good. I checked TTY1 and saw that the root user is logged in. Furthermore, the user is logged in on other terminals.

This isn't very secure if root auto-logs in at reboot. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a user.
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:54:03 PM

drgr33n,

btw, a

Code:
sudo chown -R user:user /opt/miners

and

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /opt/miners/phoenix/*.py

needs to be issued to be able to run phoenix, at least, I don't know if the other miners need this too, but it should not pose any harm.

spiccioli
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:16:06 PM

Code:

drgr33n,

if you want to be able to reboot a rig from remote and be sure that it is fully re-initialized (maybe because you find it hanged with a kernel trap), you need to:

- remove from /etc/init.d/live-boot the request that reads "remove USB key and press enter to reboot", this is the annoying thing Smiley and to accomplish this you have to remove the line "read x < /dev/console" which is the command that stops the re-boot waiting for a key

- change /etc/default/kexec where it says: LOAD_KEXEC=true, put false instead, so that you always do a cold reboot. A sudo coldreboot does the same thing, but if you're remote and issue a sudo reboot for error... dang, system locked Smiley

BTW, is Catalyst 11.6 installed?

I'm trying to put a 5870 to 885,300 and it says

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all

Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    157           300
             Current Peak :    725           1000
  Configurable Peak Range : [550-900]     [900-1250]
                 GPU load :    0%

Adapter 1 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    157           300
             Current Peak :    850           1200
  Configurable Peak Range : [600-900]     [900-1300]
                 GPU load :    0%

and then

Code:
user@linuxcoin:~$ DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odsc=900,300 --adapter=1
ERROR - Set clocks failed for Adapter 1 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
        Please check that input values were valid

what am I doing wrong?

spiccioli

Ok makes sense I'll probably revise this iso as I think
I rushed a little to get it out and overlooked a couple of things.

Yes the catalyst is at 11.6 some report it working others say it doesn't. What cards ? And just checking but you did enable overdrive first right ?
New issue: Running in persistent mode and enabled encryption on the user's home directory. I also changed the auto-login script in inittab. I rebooted and was prompted with the desktop with the missing background/menu items. It seems to have auto-logged in as the user. I logged out and logged back in as the user using my own password, so far so good. I checked TTY1 and saw that the root user is logged in. Furthermore, the user is logged in on other terminals.

This isn't very secure if root auto-logs in at reboot. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a user.

This is normal behaviour. When gdm auto logs in it actually uses a gdm account. That's why when you log back in you have no icons because gdm doesn't have permission to Access your home directory. And admins still logged in because you swiched to telinit 1 I assume. Doesn't matter root doesn't have a password and when you reboot if you disabled autologin you will be met with the login screen and root won't be logged in on any terminal. Well unless you open one Cheesy

I would recommend creating a new account and dropping user all together.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: