Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:14:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
malavita

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 05:01:19 PM

DrGr33n is drake - love the Drake!! Smiley  Coinage to follow as soon as I get it mining :-)

Somebody's gotta finance this revolution - you can help by donating supplies, ammo, field hospital beds or simply BTCs here: 1QBNASECM8z2LLojkqZH3s2F8Ur7nhafNc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 05:21:44 PM

yeah an installer!!!!

It would be nice to install it on HD and use as any other OS

I will add a little bash script to dump this into a HDD Cheesy

DrGr33n is drake - love the Drake!! Smiley  Coinage to follow as soon as I get it mining :-)

lol thanks Wink Last screenshot of the uber sexy all new linuxcoin with some new and old features at work Cheesy

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 05:59:03 PM

yeah an installer!!!!

I'm pretty sure the exact same procedure used to install it onto a USB flash drive will work on a hard drive too.  I can't think of any good reasons why it wouldn't, except that unetbootin might not be willing.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:07:02 PM

yeah an installer!!!!

I'm pretty sure the exact same procedure used to install it onto a USB flash drive will work on a hard drive too.  I can't think of any good reasons why it wouldn't, except that unetbootin might not be willing.

You can do this but its not ideal. I'll post a video guide over night Wink
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:36:36 AM

I haven't got a clue why this hasn't worked for you ? I won't be adding 11.6 to linuxcoin anyway it's very VERY unstable, stick with 11.5 for now.

I got it working now and 11.6 does allow you to overclock outside of BIOS limits. The problem is that I was not installing the drivers properly. The driver seems stable in Ubuntu 11.06, but I guess it has different versions of X and other software.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
godofal

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:40:25 AM

this looks kickass, if it is what i think it is xD

i havent read up about linux and all so heres some newb questions xD

if i put this on a flash drive, i plug it in, set bios to boot from USB, itl boot and be ready to go right?
i can also just mine in a pool, instead of solo?
would i need to change anything for it to work with any setup (motherboard, CPU, graphics card) in the software before starting?
can i change things to optimize it? (more Mhash/s then when i dont)

is it possible to run a server for something like teamspeak?
and can i add a bigger (usb)flash drive that's accesible over the network and internet? (file sharing/streaming)
any chance of getting a bittorrent client to work?

from what i understand, the last 3 things will be the hardest Cheesy
im up for some challenges, and im pretty tech-savvy, but i just never really got into the whole linux environment, but would love to Cheesy

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:40:25 AM

if i put this on a flash drive, i plug it in, set bios to boot from USB, itl boot and be ready to go right?

Yup

i can also just mine in a pool, instead of solo?

Yup

would i need to change anything for it to work with any setup (motherboard, CPU, graphics card) in the software before starting?

No it should work on most systems providing they can run a 64bit OS

sure Wink

easy via the package manager.

and can i add a bigger (usb)flash drive that's accesible over the network and internet? (file sharing/streaming)

not sure what you mean ?

any chance of getting a bittorrent client to work?

Code:
apt-get install vuze

godofal

Activity: 160

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:59:32 AM

sure Wink
and how would one do that, and how much extra performance could one squeeze out? alot, or just .0001% or something?

easy via the package manager.
i assume thats the "installer" for linux?

not sure what you mean ?

well, adding a second USB flash drive, HDD, or something like that, and make it accesible for anyone in my local network and via the internet, password protected ofc
just for storing some music, maybe having some of the torrents, that kinda stuff

thanks btw!

trueimage

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:22:41 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2011, 04:54:34 AM by trueimage

I'm just trying this for the first time, and when I try to boot it just sits at "Verifying DMI Pool Data.........."

It detects the usb stick as USB-HDD0 and I've set that as the boot device?

The rest looks straight forward, I just can't get it to boot lol.

can someone help me with this?

Created a partition, formatted as FAT32
unetbootin to install linuxcoin
boot is set as above

it just hangs??

edit: tried a different usb stick and it is working

now setting up
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:50:41 AM

I had to format my USB stick on a Windows computer.  I tried just about everything under the Sun to get it working from my GNU/Linux computer, but all I ever got was "Boot error" when attempting to load the OS on my mining rig.  Incidentally the USB stick booted fine on other computers.  Then I finally came across the following post that resolved my issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237445-30-boot-external

Right.  FAT32 is a proprietary Microsoft format and you need to perform that operation on a windows device.  When I got linuxcoin working, thats the only step that needed Windows.
CydeWeys

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:10:44 AM

I tried upgrading Catalyst to 11.6 on my 0.2a Linuxcoin install, and without going into details, let's just say that either I fuxored it up or it simply didn't want to work  Roll Eyes  So I'm back to stock 0.2a again with Catalyst 11.5.  Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting Linuxcoin 0.2b with Catalyst 11.6 so I can throw some additional overclocking on my 5830s.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

I tried upgrading Catalyst to 11.6 on my 0.2a Linuxcoin install, and without going into details, let's just say that either I fuxored it up or it simply didn't want to work  Roll Eyes  So I'm back to stock 0.2a again with Catalyst 11.5.  Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting Linuxcoin 0.2b with Catalyst 11.6 so I can throw some additional overclocking on my 5830s.

LinuxCoin 0.2b wont be shipped with 11.6. You can install the latest catalyst manually yourself or wait for the update to take place in a few weeks. Now uploading the ISO guys Cheesy
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:46:31 PM

Too late to make a request?

I do not like the transparent root/lxterminals I usually change my background to a black one so I can read everything easily, but if I reboot it doesn't save.  So far my easiest solution is to save the background pic to desktop and set it each time, but that is annoying.  I noticed if i changed to one of the other included backgrounds it also wouldn't save.

is there a way to make it save background changes?  Or disable transparency on the terminals?
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:04:29 PM

Too late to make a request?

I do not like the transparent root/lxterminals I usually change my background to a black one so I can read everything easily, but if I reboot it doesn't save.  So far my easiest solution is to save the background pic to desktop and set it each time, but that is annoying.  I noticed if i changed to one of the other included backgrounds it also wouldn't save.

is there a way to make it save background changes?  Or disable transparency on the terminals?

Already been sorted bud Wink
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

I haven't got a clue why this hasn't worked for you ? I won't be adding 11.6 to linuxcoin anyway it's very VERY unstable, stick with 11.5 for now.

I got it working now and 11.6 does allow you to overclock outside of BIOS limits. The problem is that I was not installing the drivers properly. The driver seems stable in Ubuntu 11.06, but I guess it has different versions of X and other software.

hugolp,

can you share how you installed catalyst 11.6 on a linuxcoin 0.2a?

TIA

spiccioli
no_alone

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:17:14 PM

hugolp,

can you share how you installed catalyst 11.6 on a linuxcoin 0.2a?

TIA

spiccioli

I manged to do it...
You need to have a persistent install of linux
Then use this manual
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian

But...
One line in there is
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg <package>

You need to do
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --install
instead... It did not let me build a package (what ever it means)

I did had evantually 1 problem.. You need to uninstall aticatalyst before you install the new one...\and I think I deleted also opencl...
Anyway if you dont want to uninstall the old catalyst you can just do

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --install  --push

Then it overwrite the files already there... But they say its not good...

Mine only when pc is IDLE totally indivisible...
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9851.0
Mine on family computer without disturbing them

Donation : 1GjpJnLU8zdfEHW7FoCx2UUosJgc9prXN4
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:31:31 PM

Already been sorted bud Wink

In that case thank you very much.  And.... RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE!!  Wink

Sent ya a little coinage.  I know it's not much, but hopefully it helps, and hopefully I will be able to donate more in the future.
edit: Its coming from tradehill so might take a little to get to ya.
malavita

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:31:16 PM

DrGr33n,

This is something you should consider for your next release - can't take the credit for it (it comes from SMARTcoin), but I think it's a great idea & can help you out a bit:

"There is also a new "feature" called AutoDonate.  This allows you to donate a  percentage of your hash power to donation pools/workers that I have set up to help fund development.  How it works is this:
- During install, you are asked if you want to donate a small bit of hash power to the cause
- You can specify how many minutes per day to donate your hashes to the donation pools. (i.e 36 minutes per day is 1%)
- A random start time is generated and stored in the database
- Each day, starting at the random start time, hashes will be donated to the donation pools instead of the ones defined in the currently running profile.  After the specified number of minutes, hashes go back to your profile's defined pools as normal.
- Of course, you don't have to donate at all, but I thought it was a creative solution especially for those that wish to donate, but can't spare the bitcoins up front.  You can also change the donation setting from the menu at any time.  I have nothing to hide here and you can examine the source for yourself.  If you decide to use smartcoin, please consider a small ongoing AutoDonation!"

Cheers!!

M

Somebody's gotta finance this revolution - you can help by donating supplies, ammo, field hospital beds or simply BTCs here: 1QBNASECM8z2LLojkqZH3s2F8Ur7nhafNc
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:32:51 AM

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/casper-rw-creator-make-a-persistent-file-from-windows/

Don't know if this is of use but you can easily create a casper partition/file on a usb drive.
NANO

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 04:31:59 AM

Can I use a 1Gb pendrive right? thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: