We could see another release real soon
Working on quite a few things atm but who like the sound of compressed persistence ?
2G of persistence space packed into 600MB of data ?
eh, DOUBLE-SPACE didn't work out so well for DOS! personally, the space of the persistence partition is of little concern, i am more interested in performance of my miner at full load.
I have successfully updated my fglrx, which first required uninstalling all the packages, then re-installing to properly apply (and several 'apt-get -f install' fixes). at full load, the entire system is definitely bogged down, more so than any previous version, with the upside of better performance which is acceptable, but makes it difficult to do anything else.
output from: dpkg -l fglrx*
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
un fglrx-amdcccle <none> (no description available)
ii fglrx-atieventsd 1:11-7-4 external events daemon for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display dri
ii fglrx-control 1:11-7-4 control panel for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
un fglrx-control-qt2 <none> (no description available)
un fglrx-control-qt3 <none> (no description available)
ii fglrx-driver 1:11-7-4 non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
ii fglrx-glx 1:11-7-4 proprietary libGL for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
ii fglrx-glx-ia32 1:11-7-4 proprietary libGL for the non-free ATI/AMD display driver (ia32 libs
ii fglrx-modules-dkms 1:11-7-4 dkms module source for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
even the PXE ideas you've had are interesting, but i've returned to creating one single persistence partiton (~2.25gb) on a 4gb USB cruzer and copying that to another USB for another machine. I have modified your PXE scripts slightly to accommodate my specific needs, focusing on making sure they include my management network adapter, and more options in the PXE boot menu.
Still, i have to say using 11-7-4 introduces more complications after X11 loads, 80% of the time it works fine, the other 20% is a crapshoot. prior to 11-7-4 i had no issues booting at all. however, using 11-7-4 my MH/s is slightly better, which is reason enough to tolerate it.
personally, i feel the distribution should return to its roots.... as in focus on mining, and mining well! the additional security is a welcomed event, but I would like an unsecured kernel option, as i feel these items (PAX,selinux) impede performance/administration even so slightly. I am not storing a wallet, these are pooled miners working in an obscure network behind several layers of NAT with little access to anything other than my pool login/pass. i understand the need here, but would like a simple way to dumb that down, a multi-kernel choice, and a slick PXE boot menu allowing for the choice would be my direction.
keep up the good work Dr.Green!