Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:11:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312371 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:04:41 PM

#2 on voting list at cryptsy with more than 13K.
Though not knowing how many votes are paid (via cryptsy points), it gives an impression of how many people are involved and/or interested in Monero. I guess that the number of cryptsy-abstainers exceeds the number of paid votes, but that's a personal opinion, which may be completely wrong.

Anyway: impressive progress in that short time.

It is very impressive,even though I think most are paid votes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:18:51 PM

Though not knowing how many votes are paid (via cryptsy points), it gives an impression of how many people are involved and/or interested in Monero. I guess that the number of cryptsy-abstainers exceeds the number of paid votes, but that's a personal opinion, which may be completely wrong.

Monero cannot have paid votes (see the absence of an address).
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:01:50 PM

Monero cannot have paid votes (see the absence of an address).

Buy cryptsy points with any coin.
vote with those points

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:51:25 PM

The price crashed within 5 minutes of BCX threat on Poloniex trollbox, with very large volume. It seemed that at least one very large holder did cash out because of the threat.
You may call him "weak hand", but certainly he had enough to move the market.

I call him Santa Claus.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:02:51 PM

The price crashed within 5 minutes of BCX threat on Poloniex trollbox, with very large volume. It seemed that at least one very large holder did cash out because of the threat.

I call him Santa Claus.

The threat was (likely intentionally) issued at a time when me and several other large holders were online in the trollbox. I don't know if the other holders sold, but if they did, it was likely in anticipation of a bigger drop (which never materialized, so they bought back at a loss).

What I do remember for certain is that most of the bid side was pulled instead of being sold into, resulting in <50 BTC of bids at the lowest point instead of the normal ~300 BTC and high of >600 BTC. It builded up in minutes after seeing the initial flashcrash to 0.00280.

By the way, contrary to what many think, the higher lows trend has not been violated daily vwap-wise. The last low from August was 0.00305 and lowest during this bottom is 0.00310.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 03:17:33 PM

I call him Santa Claus.

The threat was (likely intentionally) issued at a time when me and several other large holders were online in the trollbox. I don't know if the other holders sold, but if they did, it was likely in anticipation of a bigger drop (which never materialized, so they bought back at a loss).

What I do remember for certain is that most of the bid side was pulled instead of being sold into, resulting in <50 BTC of bids at the lowest point instead of the normal ~300 BTC and high of >600 BTC. It builded up in minutes after seeing the initial flashcrash to 0.00280.

By the way, contrary to what many think, the higher lows trend has not been violated daily vwap-wise. The last low from August was 0.00305 and lowest during this bottom is 0.00310.
Confirmed.
I was also online, pulled bids, sold nothing from this.  Since then have bought more than those bids I pulled.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

I'll say again what I said a few pages ago: XMR is in a fragile balance now that almost eerily resembles the fragile balance BTC is in. If there is only one prediction I'd be allowed to make, it would be that, short-to-mid term at least, XMR won't escape a breakdown if BTC enters another breakdown, but has a chance to outperform BTC if BTC stabilizes in the region of high 300s, and moves upwards from there.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:51:25 PM

I'll say again what I said a few pages ago: XMR is in a fragile balance now that almost eerily resembles the fragile balance BTC is in. If there is only one prediction I'd be allowed to make, it would be that, short-to-mid term at least, XMR won't escape a breakdown if BTC enters another breakdown, but has a chance to outperform BTC if BTC stabilizes in the region of high 300s, and moves upwards from there.

This is a little off topic.  But how can we expect bitcoin to stabilize when the paypal AND circle announcement did almost nothing & it continues it's decline?  I don't get it ... unless what we have a huge speculation bubble that is about to burst.

Almost everyone I know has now been exposed to bitcoin (and not by me).  I even saw a reference to it in Parks & Recreation the other day.  Maybe we are entering the adoption phase & exiting the "speculation on adoption" phase?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:01:07 PM

Almost everyone I know has now been exposed to bitcoin (and not by me).  I even saw a reference to it in Parks & Recreation the other day.  Maybe we are entering the adoption phase & exiting the "speculation on adoption" phase?

Per user, Bitcoin's marketcap is about $5,000, which is not exactly a huge figure given that the median is probably <$1,000. It has about 1 million owners, unchanged from late 2013.

If adoption goes to 10 times what it is now, likely also average investment goes higher, leading to 10+ times price growth. Otherwise the math does not add up.

And since we are in a Monero thread, and Monero's marketcap just declined to less than 1/1000 of Bitcoin's, the same numbers apply, but there is (even) more room for growth.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:04:06 PM

Of course, Monero is just Speculation right now and for now, almost no real use except it being proved a good altcoin for storage of value.

Maybe, but in the longer term speculation on future valuation of XMR might well detach from speculation of future BTC valuation, since there are good reasons to assume different usage cases and adoption scenarios.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

I call him Santa Claus.

Warz stated in the trollbox he sold about 80% off his stash, but he would buy back if this threat was over.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:17:32 PM

I call him Santa Claus.

Warz stated in the trollbox he sold about 80% off his stash, but he would buy back if this threat was over.

But then he'll be at loss Sad

rpietila is right, we lose good folks

He said he wouldn't mind that (buying back at a loss), he just wasn't comfertable with the amount off his stash then and the attack. Warz, if this isn't right please correct me!

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 05:50:07 PM

I call him Santa Claus.

He said he wouldn't mind that (buying back at a loss), he just wasn't comfertable with the amount off his stash then and the attack. Warz, if this isn't right please correct me!

Why doesn't he just drive over to BCX's place and hand him wads of cash?
It was over when it started.

If he is waiting until BCX declares it over, then he sold his coins to BCX at the bottom and will buy back after BCX pumps it up by deceiding when and how to announce it is 'over'.

Seriously.  If he is thinking of buying back, he shouldn't be waiting on BCX.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:07:31 PM

Buy depth down to 258btc & there's a 178btc sell wall at .004
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:18:53 PM

I guess they are confident the price is going up. Smiley

Or they are manipulating the ask/sell total Huh

You don't think it's going to stay there do you? Wink
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:25:23 PM

I call him Santa Claus.

Why doesn't he just drive over to BCX's place and hand him wads of cash?
It was over when it started.

If he is waiting until BCX declares it over, then he sold his coins to BCX at the bottom and will buy back after BCX pumps it up by deceiding when and how to announce it is 'over'.

Seriously.  If he is thinking of buying back, he shouldn't be waiting on BCX.

I don't know if he already bought back in, just stating what was said then because someone asked if any big holder sold. Don't have more info. But let's see how this plays out.

pinky

Activity: 538
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:44:54 PM

I guess they are confident the price is going up. Smiley

Or they are manipulating the ask/sell total Huh

You don't think it's going to stay there do you? Wink

The bubble has popped. Only whales were buying XMR - other small time investors that really matters and drive the market up don't give shit about XMR as they see other coins with more potential and less risk. Growth has now virtually stopped and is around 1% per week (IMO strong bear market for any coin) and prices are just too high to sustain 0.003 level for much longer (every rally is smaller and got hammered big time, longterm trendline is broken). But hey, I might be totally wrong.

████████████▀████▄████████████████▀███▀████████████████▄█
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀█████████████████████▀████████████████████████████
████████▀▀████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███████
      |                  |                  |            
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:46:38 PM

The bubble has popped. Only whales were buying XMR - other small time investors that really matters and drive the market up don't give shit about XMR as they see other coins with more potential and less risk. Growth has now virtually stopped and is around 1% per week (IMO strong bear market for any coin) and prices are just too high to sustain 0.003 level for much longer (every rally is smaller and got hammered big time, longterm trendline is broken). But hey, I might be totally wrong.

coins such as?
pinky

Activity: 538
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:01:08 PM

coins such as?

Coins that proclaim anonimity.

████████████▀████▄████████████████▀███▀████████████████▄█
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀█████████████████████▀████████████████████████████
████████▀▀████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███████
      |                  |                  |            
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:31:38 PM

Deleted some back-and-forth name calling and sniping directed at and about pinky's post. If you disagree, please respond substantively.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: