Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:48:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136062 times)
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:34:04 AM

zhoutong may be thief or not, but those (AurumExchange) who fingered/accused zhoutong as thief, so far NOT done/doing anything legally & just watching how forum members get angry, shouting, scolding zhoutong.

The main issue is that this had been brought publicly on this very forum before by Zhou Tong himself, complaining his funds were stuck with AurumXchange.

In that kind of case, the only thing a company can do is to release a statement explaining what happened.

I hope calling some one thief publicly & doing nothing to prove that he is thief in legal way, is not applicable in any country.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 07:35:24 AM

After watching that interview, it would seem that if Zhou were to release a video of himself in a conversation with a 3rd party (Skype), we would be able to identify his voice easily.

I find it interesting how "financial loss prevention" was a perk to get people to sign up.  A "feature."

But where have I seen that hat before?

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:42:46 AM

Not only AurumXchange, Mtgox dont have a contact physical mail address in their site
or may be i missed to see it?

When you want to apply for AML Level 2 status, you can get their physical address easily on the website.

I had done it and got my account approved in about a week.

As per this post, AurumExchange HAS zhoutong address & they have enabled AML Level 2 status for zhoutong.
zhoutong is thief or fraud, so he may not/ can not/ will not/ do not go to police or law.
But why the hell AurumExchange not going to law or police?

What you have quoted doesn't indicate that AurumXchange has Zhoutong's physical address.  I also suspect that he meant to post that you could get Mt Gox's physical address when you apply for Level 2 status as he has asked AurumXchange for their address several times (which he wouldn't have needed to do if he already had it).

AurumXchange has posted that there is an AML investigation under way. I'm not sure why you believe that they are not involving the law. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:50:07 AM

After watching that interview, it would seem that if Zhou were to release a video of himself in a conversation with a 3rd party (Skype), we would be able to identify his voice easily.

I find it interesting how "financial loss prevention" was a perk to get people to sign up.  A "feature."

But where have I seen that hat before?

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Inedible

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:16:09 AM

I've been reading this thread on and off for a while now and I can't hold it in any longer.

Shouldn't a person be innocent until proven guilty?

To me, it doesn't seem like there's enough proof to confirm WITHOUT A DOUBT either way, although there is more evidence against ZT than for him.

It seems to me that there's more information the exchanges have but aren't able to release just now and until that happens, it's not possible to decide one way or the other.

If he's guilty then hang him, but let's say that he's cleared of all crimes. What will those who are baying for blood do then?

Will some of the accusers then admit that they've no integrity and that their word should count for nothing forever more unless ZT agrees to forgive them?

I don't think a simple "Oh, I'm really, really, really sorry!" would cut it after all the things that have been said but I guess integrity is only something some of the accusers expect from the accused.

If he turns out to be a 17yr old CHILD, can you imagine what it must feel like to have the whole community that you've been working with, turn on you? You've gone and lost a friend's money ($40K), you've been instrumental in damaging the community you helped to build and you have no idea who to turn to for help. I'd be pretty scared.

Someone of a more mean spirited nature might call it child abuse but it would certainly be no less than hateful bullying.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:23:52 AM

Well I dont think ZT is the thief, but :

- He took great responsabilities. With those responsabilities comes risks of being personnaly involved. Only being verbally trashed in forums is pretty soft in my opinion.

- Some people here lost a lot. I lost ~45k$ and for me 40k represent a huge amount of money. Considering this, people have the right to be angry and voice their opinion.
You cant imagine how I am in pain knowing that people like patrick stateman and others from intersango are taking huge vacation and just generally avoiding the hard issues at play here while I am grinding my ass to recover my money and that I am kinda broke.

With that said, I still believe ZT is innocent and is doing his best, but I reserve my judgement and I respect other people rights to voice their opinion.

I would like to add that Intersango team responsability is as well huge and clear and that they deserve much more than the attacks that get thrown at them

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:29:54 AM

I've been reading this thread on and off for a while now and I can't hold it in any longer.

Shouldn't a person be innocent until proven guilty?

To me, it doesn't seem like there's enough proof to confirm WITHOUT A DOUBT either way, although there is more evidence against ZT than for him.

It seems to me that there's more information the exchanges have but aren't able to release just now and until that happens, it's not possible to decide one way or the other.

If he's guilty then hang him, but let's say that he's cleared of all crimes. What will those who are baying for blood do then?

Will some of the accusers then admit that they've no integrity and that their word should count for nothing forever more unless ZT agrees to forgive them?

I don't think a simple "Oh, I'm really, really, really sorry!" would cut it after all the things that have been said but I guess integrity is only something some of the accusers expect from the accused.

If he turns out to be a 17yr old CHILD, can you imagine what it must feel like to have the whole community that you've been working with, turn on you? You've gone and lost a friend's money ($40K), you've been instrumental in damaging the community you helped to build and you have no idea who to turn to for help. I'd be pretty scared.

Someone of a more mean spirited nature might call it child abuse but it would certainly be no less than hateful bullying.
Some people in here are already in such a bloodrage, that even if ZT turns out as a innocent child, they would still hang him, just to satisfy their bloodthirst.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:35:08 AM

Not only AurumXchange, Mtgox dont have a contact physical mail address in their site
or may be i missed to see it?

When you want to apply for AML Level 2 status, you can get their physical address easily on the website.

I had done it and got my account approved in about a week.

As per this post, AurumExchange HAS zhoutong address & they have enabled AML Level 2 status for zhoutong.
zhoutong is thief or fraud, so he may not/ can not/ will not/ do not go to police or law.
But why the hell AurumExchange not going to law or police?

What you have quoted doesn't indicate that AurumXchange has Zhoutong's physical address.  I also suspect that he meant to post that you could get Mt Gox's physical address when you apply for Level 2 status as he has asked AurumXchange for their address several times (which he wouldn't have needed to do if he already had it).

AurumXchange has posted that there is an AML investigation under way. I'm not sure why you believe that they are not involving the law.  
AurumXchange keeps on asking zhoutong to give his address to send legal papers.
For to get AML level 2 status, zhoutong already sent his address.
Why AurumXchange not sending legal papers to that address?
They think its a fake address?
If fake then they can show the scanned copy of papers that the legal papers returned back to AurumXchange coz of no address exist or wrong address.
Why they not sending or if they sent, why they not showing proof of sending?
If some one called some one thief publicly, then legally they have to prove what, how, when, why he called thief.
If they didn't told anything to this forum, then we dont have to worry.

They accused zhoutong as thief, fraud...in AN OPEN PUBLIC FORUM & so far, more than 10+ days i think, not showing zhoutong as LEGALLY guilty in that same open public forum.
Why they are passing time instead of showing the same forum publicly their legal status & what they have done so far legally?
What AurumXchange hiding or saving?
Inedible

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:46:36 AM

- He took great responsabilities. With those responsabilities comes risks of being personnaly involved.

Absolutely but at the same time you also have to accept you did business with a minor. This in no way absolves him in any way of his responsibilities but at the same time, some consideration must be given to his youth and inexperience.

Quote from: DarkEmi
Only being verbally trashed in forums is pretty soft in my opinion.

I agree that everything here is purely verbal but there have been a lot of cruel things said too. It's more of a witch hunt than anything else. Imagine being 17 and having to deal with people threatening you? There's a real chance that someone who's lost a lot of money could do violence towards him if they found out where he lived, simply because others believe he's guilty.

- Some people here lost a lot. I lost ~45k$ and for me 40k represent a huge amount of money. Considering this, people have the right to be angry and voice their opinion.

Voicing their opinion is not what everyone here is doing.

If I'd lost $45K I'd be raging - it's a huge amount of money to most people. I'd do everything I could to get that money back but without real evidence of someone's guilt, I wouldn't accept going after the next best thing (which in this case is someone with circumstantial evidence).

You cant imagine how I am in pain knowing that people like patrick stateman and others from intersango are taking huge vacation and just generally avoiding the hard issues at play here while I am grinding my ass to recover my money and that I am kinda broke.

I really feel for you. I really do. I've lost a similar amount of money in the past (still paying for it now) and I know who the culprit that took the money, I'm just not in a strong legal position to recover it.

Without an official statement from the people responsible for this disaster, it seems to me that ZT is doing more to resolve this situation than others. This doesn't mean he's innocent. It just leaves a lot of explaining from the responsible parties (seems like they're on holiday?!!!)

With that said, I still believe ZT is innocent and is doing his best, but I reserve my judgement and I respect other people rights to voice their opinion.

Right - and you've got a huuge stake in this issue. May I ask you why you think he's innocent because from where I'm sitting it sure does seem like he's more guilty than he is innocent?

I would like to add that Intersango team responsability is as well huge and clear and that they deserve much more than the attacks that get thrown at them

I agree. Why is everyone's efforts aimed at ZT? Is it because he was silly enough to try and help everyone? Shouldn't more be asked of Intersango? Shouldn't they at least release a statement saying what's happening?

If I were ZT and saw the disproportionate level of attacks against him/Intersango then I'd be wondering "Well stuff-it, I'm innocent - let them spend years trying to sort it out for themselves".

ZT: Don't give up. Remember you're helping the people who have been hurt most in this drama as well as clearing yourself. Sure, it's a lonely and scary time for you but your responsibility is to clear this mess up and move on.

*As ever, this post assumes that ZT is innocent until proven guilty.*

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:49:44 AM

It goes without saying that he is innocent until proven guilty, but I think we can all agree that there are some serious questions about Zhou Tong and whether he is who he says he is.

We should let the investigation continue and refrain from posting strong worded opinions, on either side of the argument, that are clearly not backed up by evidence. It would be better for everyone to follow along a more scientific approach and leave your emotionally based `beliefs` at home.

Zhou Tong could help to clear this matter up by simply doing a video skype call with a respected member of the community.

Is that really such a difficult thing to do?
Inedible

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:56:40 AM

Quote from: dishwara
If fake then they can show the scanned copy of papers that the legal papers returned back to AurumXchange coz of no address exist or wrong address.
Why they not sending or if they sent, why they not showing proof of sending?
If some one called some one thief publicly, then legally they have to prove what, how, when, why he called thief.
If they didn't told anything to this forum, then we dont have to worry.

When something is being investigated legally, they can't comment on the situation. Even if they weren't investigating legally, it would be really unprofessional and irresponsible to share that information in a public forum.

I'm not entirely sure but from what I understand, it was ZT that made the situation public that AX had withheld his funds however one thing that puzzles me is it seems that AX released additional information regarding the account without ZT's permission. In the UK that would be against the law but I'm not sure what jurisdiction AX is in so I can't really comment on that.

They accused zhoutong as thief, fraud...in AN OPEN PUBLIC FORUM

I'm not sure they did - do you have a link/source?

Why they are passing time instead of showing the same forum publicly their legal status & what they have done so far legally?
What AurumXchange hiding or saving?

They'll only be allowed to share a very limited amount of information which won't be sufficient to expel/confirm doubts.

Only once the investigation has finished will they make any comment and even then they might only be able to say the funds have been released but nothing more.

Inedible

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:04:11 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 11:14:25 AM by Inedible

It goes without saying that he is innocent until proven guilty

Seems to me that a lot of people believe they've already been able to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt...

whether he is who he says he is.

The only reason I'd have any suspicions of who he says he is would be if I believed he'd intended to steal everything when he started building his exchange. It seems to me that it'd be counter productive to claim you're a 17yr old when trying to build a business that requires credibility.

Quote from: greBit
Zhou Tong could help to clear this matter up by simply doing a video skype call with a respected member of the community.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that now.

1) If you already don't believe he's who he claims to be, it would be just as easy to dismiss the person on the Skype call as an actor (paid or otherwise).
2) A video call won't actually prove his age, only an approximate one and if the stereotype that Asians look young is to be believed, he might be 30 but look 22.
3) He could be putting his/his family's physical security at risk
4) Some people will only believe it if they have the skype call themselves and even then, see 1) and 2).

Is that really such a difficult thing to do?

Not difficult to do at all but would it prove anything to the hardcore?

aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:06:51 AM

Right - and you've got a huuge stake in this issue. May I ask you why you think he's innocent because from where I'm sitting it sure does seem like he's more guilty than he is innocent?
Too much foolish mistakes have been made in this theft, so either ZT was drunk when doing it, or he is innocent.

I agree. Why is everyone's efforts aimed at ZT? Is it because he was silly enough to try and help everyone? Shouldn't more be asked of Intersango? Shouldn't they at least release a statement saying what's happening?
Intersango made a wise choice by going silent. Once there is no response for a long enough time, the lynch mob moves on to some other target.
Inedible

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:13:28 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 01:57:26 PM by Maged

Too much foolish mistakes have been made in this theft, so either ZT was drunk when doing it, or he is innocent.

The mistakes were amateur and although ZT is a smart guy, I'd say that's weak evidence of his innocence though.

Intersango made a wise choice by going silent. Once there is no response for a long enough time, the lynch mob moves on to some other target.

If only ZT had done the same. Instead he was transparent and vocal.

greBit

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:14:45 AM

I think it's a little more nuanced than that now.

1) If you already don't believe he's who he claims to be, it would be just as easy to dismiss the person on the Skype call as an actor (paid or otherwise).
2) A video call won't actually prove his age, only an approximate one and if the stereotype that Asians look young is to be believed, he might be 30 but look 22.
3) He could be putting his/his family's physical security at risk
4) Some people will only believe it if they have the skype call themselves and even then, see 1) and 2).

Well yes it would provide strong evidence for the fact that Zhou Tong is this 17 year old kid:

This is supposedly the real Zhou Tong, so by performing a video interview, one would hope to ascertain if he is legit or not. A paid actor would have difficulty answering questions about bitcoinica etc

One could also verify the voice of this kid as belonging to Zhou Tong - there was a VoIP discussion recorded a while back for the bitcoin tv show thing.
Inedible

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:20:22 AM

Well yes it would provide strong evidence for the fact that Zhou Tong is this 17 year old kid:

This is supposedly the real Zhou Tong, so by performing a video interview, one would hope to ascertain if he is legit or not. A paid actor would have difficulty answering questions about bitcoinica etc

One could also verify the voice of this kid as belonging to Zhou Tong - there was a VoIP discussion recorded a while back for the bitcoin tv show thing.

Hadn't realised there was a picture of him available.

It would be enough for most people but I doubt it would be sufficient for the hardcore.

If he's already known then a Skype call would help things for a lot of people.

It's unlikely he will if he's finally gotten some legal representation.

greBit

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:32:02 AM

To me this line of reasoning is invalid.

We have not yet ascertained who is really behind the `Zhou Tong` online identity, so therefore we cannot make any assumptions about his/her/their intellect/motivation/personality/ability to make mistakes, etc
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:35:57 AM

To me this line of reasoning is invalid.

We have not yet ascertained who is really behind the `Zhou Tong` online identity, so therefore we cannot make any assumptions about his/her/their intellect/motivation/personality/ability to make mistakes, etc

True. And in the same vein, we cannot assume he was drunk anymore than we can assume he is guilty and an evil Chinese hacker. The only "evidence" we have is that of identity theft, which was explained and can be verified with Zhou directly if anyone cared to find out. Anything else has nothing to do with this case and AurumXChange's silence should make that clear.

This thread does not decide who is guilty or innocent. This thread merely discusses possibilities. The fact that there are so many people here with their minds "made up" and "ready to take action" should remind the rest of us what bitcoiners look like to the rest of the world-- like wackos.

Reasoning for this line of thought:

Users have claimed Zhou Tong is guilty of stealing Bitcoinica funds without any proof of it whatsoever.

Users have claimed that Zhou Tong is guilty of money laundering without understanding Chinese culture.

Users have claimed that Zhou Tong is lying because he has not backed up his response with evidence, yet neglect to have the same line of reasoning with the suspiciously quiet AurumXChange's Roberto.

Users have claimed that Zhou Tong is not really Zhou Tong and someone else entirely-- this is quite bizarre considering he has numerous bank accounts with his name on them, businesses registered in his name, and has never once done anything to make anyone think otherwise.

Users have claimed that Zhou Tong works with criminals -- Yahoo's last CEO Scott Thompson lied about his tech degree, that must mean Yahoo are all liars and work with liars.  Roll Eyes Kevin Mitnick is a known hacker who has broken numerous laws, numerous big companies ask for his advice in protecting against fraud. This does not make those companies criminals.

greBit

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:42:04 AM

The only "evidence" we have is that of identity theft, which was explained and can be verified with Zhou directly if anyone cared to find out.

I may be missing something, but where is the evidence of identity theft? Do you have other sources apart from a post made by the `Zhou Tong` ?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:43:27 AM

The only "evidence" we have is that of identity theft, which was explained and can be verified with Zhou directly if anyone cared to find out.

I may be missing something, but where is the evidence of identity theft? Do you have other sources apart from a post made by the `Zhou Tong` ?

Private conversations with Zhou Tong that make sense and match exactly what he said on the forum (without being snide, why is it that no one is talking to Zhou? Why are they just repeating the same mindless snot in this thread? Ask him yourself.). I'll ask him if it's okay if I post it here, but it might make sense for him to get the money back from the thief before producing evidence that the theft happened in order not to disrupt the process.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: