Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:02:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136062 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:43:26 PM

This is what I don't get. If "Chen" admitted guilt and agreed to pay up, why does there even need to be seperate transactions? Surely one transaction equalling the total amount is all that's required? Is this yet another delaying tactic by Zhou or a means of keeping the dogs at bay ("dont kill me now, I can get the rest of the money")?
Has to cash out all his pirate bonds first! Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 05:01:21 PM

Dude, instead of lashing out and requesting information in bold lettering. Have you even emailed or called Patrick to ask him?
Hi Charlie, I'm not lashing out at anyone except for perhaps Zhou. I think it is much better that Patrick posts here himself rather than me asking for a private response then posting it here. Others could accuse me of making it up or even mis-quoting. The words are much better from the legally-qualified horses mouth.

I can assure you that neither one of us needs the headache, the personal time invested, nor the lawyer bills we are getting regarding this issue, not to mention have our company's name dragged through this circus. Please be considerate to that fact.
Roberto, while I appreciate the sentiment and believe that you have acted admirably, what you describe is an inevitable and repetitive consequence of operating a bitcoin exchange. Your profit margin is the reason that you are involved with bitcoin and thus bear responsibility to persue the criminals who use you. It has no doubt been a stressful time, but it was your choice to enter the market and take on that responsibility. Please don't take this as an insult, because it isn't. I'm just stating the fact of the matter. Gotta take the rough with the smooth.

So far Zhou has managed to transfer 15k BTC out of 20k BTC and 140k USD promised.
This is what I don't get. If "Chen" admitted guilt and agreed to pay up, why does there even need to be seperate transactions? Surely one transaction equalling the total amount is all that's required? Is this yet another delaying tactic by Zhou or a means of keeping the dogs at bay ("dont kill me now, I can get the rest of the money")?

BB.

Hey,

Sorry if I seemed agressive as well, the amount of trolling that goes on here, it's hard to differentiate.

1- Your 100% correct. Patrick has been gathering all the details so he can answer questions like his next course of action, legal standing, wallet ownership, ect.
Him and I have a call in exactly 3 minutes from now to discuss it, and he will make a forum/blog post about it in a little bit.

2- Of course we are looking out for our profit margins. However, everything we do is for the greater of Bitcoin. In order for our businesses to succeed Bitcoin needs to succeed and we use our Businesses as front line fighters for Bitcoin. If we have a legal team, than we will use it for the greater good of Bitcoin. MtGox, AurumXChange, Bitinstant and other companies pay salaries to put food on the table of it's team members and their families. This is survival for us.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:17:47 PM

I trust you guys, but are acting extremely unprofessional.  I will personally never use your service in fear of you publicly going after users in this format.  From an outsiders perspective you really look terrible.  I'm serious.  ZT looks bad, but so do you.

Let me make this absolutely clear: If you are intending to launder funds, or use our services and/or products for any kind of illegal activities, by all means, NEVER use our company, or they WILL be consequences. We are a serious company that have registrations, licenses and agreements to protect and uphold. We have been in business since 2007 (way before bitcoin even existed) and I can assure you this isn't our first rodeo. I am sure Bitinstant and MtGox, or any other reputable company will tell you the same: If you use our services for illegal activities, there will be consequences.

I understand.  You can't launder money.  OK, like every country has a law basically pertaining to this.  So what though, seriously?
So, whenever you find something SUSPICIOUS, you feel the need to publicly transcribe this information all over the internet?  I am not saying that his money cannot be scrutinized, but why does that give you the right to relay this information over the internet to the public?

I am not saying what ZT was right or wrong.  Because I honestly have no idea who is telling the truth at this point.  
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:28:20 PM

It's clear aurumxchange likely isn't. If an investigation is actually because of money laundering, it should never have been posted publicly.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 05:33:13 PM

Patrick's contact details:

email: patrick@engagelegal.com
tel: US 703.608.8864
The website appears to show a technical consultancy with nothing to suggest that its staff are legally qualified or licensed to practice law in the United States?

On what authority does this entity operate in a legal capacity?

Is it even a registered company?

The domain was registered in June 2011. When exactly did this outfit begin operation?

BB.

I'm glad somebody else is looking into this. I opted to not touch this with a ten-foot pole. I'm sadly taken aback as to where all this leads, let alone stems from. It has forced me to be very careful as to what I post.

~Bruno~
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 05:34:46 PM

Patrick's contact details:

email: patrick@engagelegal.com
tel: US 703.608.8864
The website appears to show a technical consultancy with nothing to suggest that its staff are legally qualified or licensed to practice law in the United States?

On what authority does this entity operate in a legal capacity?

Is it even a registered company?

The domain was registered in June 2011. When exactly did this outfit begin operation?

BB.

I'm glad somebody else is looking into this. I opted to not touch this with a ten-foot pole. I'm sadly taken aback as to where all this leads, let alone stems from. It has forced me to be very careful as to what I post.

~Bruno~

See my response in an earlier page about this.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:39:04 PM

It's clear aurumxchange likely isn't. If an investigation is actually because of money laundering, it should never have been posted publicly.

And you know that for a fact? Did you even read Dominican AML law?
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:51:02 PM

Is this yet another delaying tactic by Zhou or a means of keeping the dogs at bay ("dont kill me now, I can get the rest of the money")?
Well, I think you confuse something here. The consultancy kept our funds for a few months, doing basically nothing. Then ZT stepped up and refunded some 5kBTC. Now within days he made more funds available. In my point of view, ZT is the only one that does actually pay back something. If some BitBuster was repaid from this consultancy - fine, however, for all of us still waiting, ZT seems the only one that does not hide behind some delay tactics. Hell, I think, ZT should, if he can, hack the current account of this lame consultancy, so that the funds can be repaid.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:53:18 PM

Perhaps it is not proper thread, but since all are active here .... I have an idea. How to do that would not have to pay the scammers? (fake claim) To reduce the unreasonable claim funds.

Just ask them to rewrite all those who have already filled in the form of claims. (Fill out the form again.) I know it sounds silly, but believe me, it will have a very strong effect. Up to 70% of fake claims will be rejected as demanding "initial data inconsistency"

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 06:13:34 PM

Perhaps it is not proper thread, but since all are active here .... I have an idea. How to do that would not have to pay the scammers? (fake claim) To reduce the unreasonable claim funds.

Just ask them to rewrite all those who have already filled in the form of claims. (Fill out the form again.) I know it sounds silly, but believe me, it will have a very strong effect. Up to 70% of fake claims will be rejected as demanding "initial data inconsistency"

it's broken...

https://claims.bitcoinica.com/

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 3009

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 07:10:48 PM

Well, I think you confuse something here. The consultancy kept our funds for a few months, doing basically nothing. Then ZT stepped up and refunded some 5kBTC. Now within days he made more funds available. In my point of view, ZT is the only one that does actually pay back something. If some BitBuster was repaid from this consultancy - fine, however, for all of us still waiting, ZT seems the only one that does not hide behind some delay tactics. Hell, I think, ZT should, if he can, hack the current account of this lame consultancy, so that the funds can be repaid.

I think it is you who are confused.  Ryan Zhou was the one that "hacked" into the site in the first place, stole the coins and destroyed the database.  It is because the database was destroyed that they are having a hard time paying people back.  ZT can't be praised for anything, because he alone willfully caused this mess.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

I think it is you who are confused.  Ryan Zhou was the one that "hacked" into the site in the first place, stole the coins and destroyed the database.  It is because the database was destroyed that they are having a hard time paying people back.  ZT can't be praised for anything, because he alone willfully caused this mess.
There is some evidence that Zhou stole the Mt. Gox funds. I will not deny that.

But there is zero evidence, and quite a bit of evidence in the contrary, that Zhou was involved in the Rackspace hack. What makes you believe that?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:15:13 PM

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:20:02 PM

There is some evidence that Zhou stole the Mt. Gox funds. I will not deny that.

But there is zero evidence, and quite a bit of evidence in the contrary, that Zhou was involved in the Rackspace hack. What makes you believe that?

Rackspace?   I thought it was Linode?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:22:27 PM

it's broken...

https://claims.bitcoinica.com/
That's it! That is why I am writing on it!

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:30:58 PM

Rackspace?   I thought it was Linode?

~

Linode, March, 40K BTC
Rackspace, May, 18K BTC + loss of database
MtGox, July, 40K BTC + $40K

I'm sure the list is not complete.
check_status

Activity: 196

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:33:37 PM

From the comic book series:
周侗传奇 – "The Legend of Zhou Tong"

An unreleased/unknown volume was recently discovered:
Volume 11 剿杀盜周侗 - "Killing the Thief of Circular Stupidity"

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:52:46 PM

Apparently there are quite a few guys, like mlawrence, out there, that would love to see the pay back fail. One should really start to wonder why that is...
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:53:17 PM

Given the thread, I think this is a good read:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10823341

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 3009

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 07:55:51 PM

Apparently there are quite a few guys, like mlawrence, out there, that would love to see the pay back fail. One should really start to wonder why that is...

That's nonsense, but wonder away if you wish!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: