Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:59:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136062 times)
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 07:43:36 PM

But, I'm really having my doubts that even Zhou Tong is real. 17? I'm having a hard time with this story now. Seems unlikely there's anyone real to prosecute.

We are venturing into conspiracy theories here, but in organized crime it is very common to control minors and use them to commit crimes because they are harder to prosecute and are often released quickly so they can be reused for the next crime while the controller stays out of sight.

A good example would be the way Roma gypsy gangs operate in countries such as Spain and Italy. The BBC has a good article on it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8226580.stm

So there is always the possibility that soon after creating Bitcoinica Zhou became a controlled sock puppet for a larger Chinese organized crime group. Not that I believe this to be the case though. But in the absence of facts it is fun to speculate :)
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 07:53:59 PM

But, I'm really having my doubts that even Zhou Tong is real. 17? I'm having a hard time with this story now. Seems unlikely there's anyone real to prosecute.

We are venturing into conspiracy theories here, but in organized crime it is very common to control minors and use them to commit crimes because they are harder to prosecute and are often released quickly so they can be reused for the next crime while the controller stays out of sight.

A good example would be the way Roma gypsy gangs operate in countries such as Spain and Italy. The BBC has a good article on it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8226580.stm

So there is always the possibility that soon after creating Bitcoinica Zhou became a controlled sock puppet for a larger Chinese organized crime group. Not that I believe this to be the case though. But in the absence of facts it is fun to speculate Smiley

...or of an American based group not connected to any organized crime group, one possibly starting with the letter "W" which is directly linked to those who controll(ed) the domain name irs.com.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:54:49 PM

I'm simply amazed on how a 17-year-old is able to globe-trot and jet-setting to: China; Singapore; Australia; (?).

It's honestly not all that unusual to find young Asian people from middle class families pursuing education or other opportunities outside their home country.  I wouldn't call pursuing those opportunities within the Asia-Pacific region "globe-trotting", any more than I'd regard someone from the UK or Germany who pursued their education in a number of European countries as "globe-trotting".

Hell, my daughter in law comes from a typical upper middle class Aussie family and she and her siblings each spent a year studying overseas as teenagers (she spent a year studying in Germany).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:15:49 PM

I'm simply amazed on how a 17-year-old is able to globe-trot and jet-setting to: China; Singapore; Australia; (?).

It's honestly not all that unusual to find young Asian people from middle class families pursuing education or other opportunities outside their home country.  I wouldn't call pursuing those opportunities within the Asia-Pacific region "globe-trotting", any more than I'd regard someone from the UK or Germany who pursued their education in a number of European countries as "globe-trotting".

Hell, my daughter in law comes from a typical upper middle class Aussie family and she and her siblings each spent a year studying overseas as teenagers (she spent a year studying in Germany).

I concur. Nothing strange about it. A large number of Korean students spend a good portion of their lives away from family, studying in other countries.

guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:23:05 PM

So there is always the possibility that soon after creating Bitcoinica Zhou became a controlled sock puppet for a larger Chinese organized crime group. Not that I believe this to be the case though. But in the absence of facts it is fun to speculate Smiley

It's highly common for eastern Eurpoean organized crime to employ, or use the pictures of, models to perpetrate scams against single men.

Why would anyone think that a scam run to bilk traders out of their money would operate much differently.

Please understand, I haven't said that ZT isn't real - just that I'm starting to have serious doubts that he can be.

But - wait.....we have pics!!! And no one has ever used a pic to suggest something be true when in fact it is not. Never. And no one ever got a fake credit or debit card.

It truly shocks me how people can simply accept whatever bullshit they read on the internet as truth. You'd think they'd learn.

Maria

Activity: 832
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:28:24 PM

I concur. Nothing strange about it. A large number of Korean students spend a good portion of their lives away from family, studying in other countries.

Dude, if I was you, I would log off and commit suicide. You are nothing but an embarrassment to this community and a scumbag who was behind all of this fiasco from the beginning. You are a low life and I want to tell you that you are in a very delicate situation right now. Watch your steps.

Maria.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:32:31 PM

Dude, if I was you, I would log off and commit suicide. You are nothing but an embarrassment to this community and a scumbag who was behind all of this fiasco from the beginning. You are a low life and I want to tell you that you are in a very delicate situation right now. Watch your steps.

Maria.

I thought 200k was chump change to you and you were going to chalk it up to Karma. Something about your "husband" losing $300k on the Manny fight and how your twat shoots hundreds so you're above petty squabbling for money.

What changed?
repentance

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:34:47 PM

I thought 200k was chump change to you and you were going to chalk it up to Karma. Something about your "husband" losing $300k on the Manny fight and how your twat shoots hundreds so you're above petty squabbling for money.

What changed?

She skipped her meds again.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:20:35 AM

Makes you wonder if Zhou Tong isnt a public figurehead for someone else working the strings.

Just consider one point, he was terrible with written english and transformed overnight as if there were two seperate entities controlling his account.

Yeh this is likely fringe conspiracy but its hard to know whats really true anymore.

phantomcircuit=zhoutong?

steve_bobs = stevejobs  ? Grin

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 02:46:37 AM

"Security Experts"

http://www.abagnale.com/index2.asp

Mr. Abagnale believes that because punishment for fraud and recovery of stolen funds are so rare, prevention is the only viable course of action.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 03:01:24 AM

Before reading any further, I believe I may have to back-pedal and retract my statement thanks to being enlightened by both of you.

Thank you, kindly, for setting me straight on this one.

Later.

~Bruno~
repentance

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:11:17 AM

It's highly common for eastern Eurpoean organized crime to employ, or use the pictures of, models to perpetrate scams against single men.

Why would anyone think that a scam run to bilk traders out of their money would operate much differently.

Please understand, I haven't said that ZT isn't real - just that I'm starting to have serious doubts that he can be.

But - wait.....we have pics!!! And no one has ever used a pic to suggest something be true when in fact it is not. Never. And no one ever got a fake credit or debit card.

It truly shocks me how people can simply accept whatever bullshit they read on the internet as truth. You'd think they'd learn.

Zhou had an internet presence prior to Bitcoinica.  According to Zhou, the hand-off of Bitcoinica to Tihan took place in person.  As Tihan would obviously have noticed if the person who turned up to hand Bitcoinica off didn't look like "Zhou", I'm willing to presume that they did.  So "Zhou" exists.  The question you're really raising is whether he's actually the person who created Bitcoinica or he was just a frontman.  I guess that's a question you could put to those who've Skyped with him - it's harder to maintain a bluff in real time than it is when you can carefully prepare written responses.

Before reading any further, I believe I may have to back-pedal and retract my statement thanks to being enlightened by both of you.

It's cool.  It's sometimes easy to forget that things which seem suspicious or unlikely to us can be normal and commonplace in other cultures.  Every now and then I read about something happening in the US and I'm convinced that I'm being fed bullshit when I'm not.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:24:22 AM

"Security Experts"

Mr. Abagnale believes that because punishment for fraud and recovery of stolen funds are so rare, prevention is the only viable course of action.

Is he the same as the 'infamous' Frank Abagnale as picture here; http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007646/

good movie, btw. ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 05:07:15 AM

"Security Experts"

Is he the same as the 'infamous' Frank Abagnale as picture here; http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007646/

good movie, btw. ;p

Yes thats him.  Smiley

Whenever I hear people say they are security experts I think of this guy.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 05:34:16 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 05:52:09 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Zhou had an internet presence prior to Bitcoinica.  According to Zhou, the hand-off of Bitcoinica to Tihan took place in person.  As Tihan would obviously have noticed if the person who turned up to hand Bitcoinica off didn't look like "Zhou", I'm willing to presume that they did.  So "Zhou" exists.  The question you're really raising is whether he's actually the person who created Bitcoinica or he was just a frontman.  I guess that's a question you could put to those who've Skyped with him - it's harder to maintain a bluff in real time than it is when you can carefully prepare written responses.

It's cool.  It's sometimes easy to forget that things which seem suspicious or unlikely to us can be normal and commonplace in other cultures.  Every now and then I read about something happening in the US and I'm convinced that I'm being fed bullshit when I'm not.

And why was it so important to do a personal hand-off in the first place, when Tihan Seale has done many a mega-dollar sales in the past several years, assumingly all accomplished online? irs.com comes to mind. Is it because it needed to be stated to us bitcoiners that a face-to-face meeting took place to prove validity? Is Tihan Seale the only one who has ever met Zhou Tong in person? (this ain't the first time I'm asked that, along with "Where are any videos of him?") Yes, I have seen three different pics of ZT, one with him holding up an iPod(?) with my name on it, but I can easily get some white-collared dude to hold up a sign that reads, "I'm Tom Williams".

I'm about to pen another post, but not exactly sure which thread, at the moment, it's destined for.

~Bruno~

EDIT: I just thought of something right after I hit the save button: The hand-off from ZT to TS? Shouldn't there be a Wendon Group in the middle of that?
kentrolla

Activity: 1498
Merit: 562

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 05:52:17 AM

You are giving out wayyyy too much information.

zhou, you should find a lawyer and stop talking. even if you're innocent (which i'm assuming you are), its ALWAYS best to say nothing and let your lawyer(s) speak on your behalf.

People who talk a lot are more likely to convicted of crimes they didn't commit because most of what you say can be misinterpreted and used against you in court.

There is ABSOLUTELY 0 benefit of giving out any information whether you are guilty or not. Any lawyer in his right mind would tell you to stop talking and let him handle it.

Please trust me on this. Even if everything you are saying is 100% truth, there are so many ways to turn it against you to make you look guilty. I know you want to keep Bitcoinica customers informed, but a lawyer is going to help you AND the Bitcoinica customers reach a more fair agreement than you could do without a lawyer.

Inform the police ASAP because its always best to be the first one to report something to law enforcement. If you don't do it, someone else will.

Just keep in mind: you WILL end up going to court over this case as a witness, defendant, or whatever.

Since this is such a complicated situation involving some serious crimes, GET A LAWYER ASAP. TRUST ME THEY ARE WORTH IT.

You're still young, and I think you are super-intelligent and you have a really bright future. Just play this safe, go to the police and get a lawyer, and you will have nothing it worry about if you're innocent.

Please don't ego trip and convince yourself that you could do better than a lawyer. plz trust me, lawyers are necessary no matter how smart or innocent you are.

Good luck, I hope you take my advice and get through this.

And ill say it 1 more time. GET A LAWYER!!! Tongue

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 06:30:44 AM

My friends dont always hand me $40 000 to convert to liberty reserve  for them but when they do I dont ask any questions  Smiley

Inb4 money laundering.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:23:13 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2012, 01:44:28 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Surprisingly, yes. He strongly denied at first, but he changed his attitude entirely when I mention that this matter is an international-scale crime, and intelligent netizens from all over the world, including Phinnaeus Gage, are actively investigating this matter. And I also told him that the accidentally exposed a bank account number. (He claimed that it was a debit card purchased from black market.)

He used my secret identity because he felt that "it would be impossible to discover the hacker" and "it would be much easier to deny if the suspect account is an insider because you (Zhou Tong) can always distract people from investigating". I have repeatedly said that I have zero tolerance in this matter and I will report all his information, including his real bank account number and address to the police once the official investigation has started.

That's one hell of a long verbatim English quote coming from Chen(?) who doesn't speak English. If it was in Chinese, I'm sure it would have translated differently. But I'll assume you were paraphrasing to get the message across. And, if true, what does he mean by ZT having the ability to distract people from investigating?

I bet your guessing that there won't be any official investigation for you to present said evidence. Well played, there.

~Bruno~

(the post I promised is still forthcoming--this was not it)
repentance

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:37:13 AM

The alleged promise of mysterious relic collector to return funds is meaningless as long as Zhou maintains that there is no way for them to be accepted.  All that is required is for them so be sent to an an accountant or lawyer's trust fund - and Chris Heaslip is an accountant as well as a nominal director of Bitcoinica.  That puts Zhou at arm's length from receiving them and puts them in safe-keeping until such time as what the fuck is happening with the return of user funds is sorted out.

At this point I honestly expect to hear that mysterious relic collector has changed his mind about returning the funds, leaving Bitcoinica and its users in limbo once again.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:43:13 AM

The alleged promise of mysterious relic collector to return funds is meaningless as long as Zhou maintains that there is no way for them to be accepted.  All that is required is for them so be sent to an an accountant or lawyer's trust fund - and Chris Heaslip is an accountant as well as a nominal director of Bitcoinica.  That puts Zhou at arm's length from receiving them and puts them in safe-keeping until such time as what the fuck is happening with the return of user funds is sorted out.

At this point I honestly expect to hear that mysterious relic collector has changed his mind about returning the funds, leaving Bitcoinica and its users in limbo once again.

How convenient for him   Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: