Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:55:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon  (Read 684875 times)
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 05:05:12 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 06:00:43 AM by southerngentuk

southerngentuk, you can send up to 6 images to LCD's internal memory and pre-program the display to enter into "picture frame mode", when idle for more than x minutes, with the "LCD Sys Info - Images Loader.exe" program that comes with it. If the RPI stops communicating with the LCD, it then knows what to do...

Excellent, I had read something about that but it didn't sink in at the time. I'll put it on my to do list, It seems to take me along time to do anything on linux but I am determined to get a handle on it.

Edit: ok the loader ext.. is windows so easy for me..Done Thanx ct1aic

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LogicalUnit

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:42:07 AM

Another bug related to graphing. This appears at the top of my status screen:

Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (2874) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-79926) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-598326) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-2671926) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-31529526)
ct1aic

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 07:53:25 AM

southerngentuk, you can send up to 6 images to LCD's internal memory and pre-program the display to enter into "picture frame mode", when idle for more than x minutes, with the "LCD Sys Info - Images Loader.exe" program that comes with it. If the RPI stops communicating with the LCD, it then knows what to do...

Excellent, I had read something about that but it didn't sink in at the time. I'll put it on my to do list, It seems to take me along time to do anything on linux but I am determined to get a handle on it.

Edit: ok the loader ext.. is windows so easy for me..Done Thanx ct1aic
You're welcome, southerngentuk.

Rui Costa, PortugalBTC : 1ct1aicGoUVpZeovsw3cCcPJZJHV5JXtW
Min€r

Activity: 359

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:55:42 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 08:19:55 AM by Min€r

Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (2874) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-79926) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-598326) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-2671926) Graph error: the first entry to fetch should be after 1980 (-31529526)

I had this too - you can try following:

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/ntpd -s

if it is still the same try a reboot and watch startup for errors.

Code:
sudo reboot

After have a look at it if it´s working. For me this wasn`t enough and I made an update:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu

Get latest git version (don`t know if this is needed):

Code:
sudo pacman -S git

Download too latest minepeon packages:

Code:
cd /opt/minepeon/
Code:
git pull
Code:
cd /opt/minepeon/http/
Code:
git pull

& finally reboot your minepeon:

Code:
sudo reboot

Now mine is working stable again since 2 days - no problem and massive extra features in minepeon.

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
Malakai

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:01:00 AM

The date is off I believe it is being fixed in the upcoming release no clock on the Pi makes it hard

I think

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/ntpd -s

Will work

or

Code:
sudo date -S "yyyymmdd hh:mm:ss"
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:06:58 AM

Regarding MinePeon with USB miners:

Is there any limit of USB devices that it will auto-detect (other than the 127 standard USB limit)?

When removing or adding new USB miners do you need to do anything over than reboot?  (ie will it automatically detect that devices were added or removed and start using all available devices)
yxzq

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:15:16 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 08:40:20 AM by yxzq

I'm doing a git pull every day.

There is a bug because I changed variable names. If you did not manually overwrite the configuration file (minepeon.conf) then the old donation value is being used to determine if a donation period should be initialised. Secondly, the donation period depends on a variable that is not set anymore (after recently cleaning up code). Calling an unset variable let's the script fail and that means the donation pools are never overwritten back to normal.

I pushed a quick patch, but have not tested. Wait till Neil is back or try pulling from my fork. Here is how:
git remote add thgh git://github.com/thgh/MinePeon.git
git pull thgh patch-1

I'm looking forward to see the donation code rewritten because it's error prone.
I suggest letting a cronjob not only monitor hashrate but also let it manage donation. That should be 100% safe.
Min€r

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:16:57 AM

Is there any limit of USB devices that it will auto-detect (other than the 127 standard USB limit)?

When removing or adding new USB miners do you need to do anything over than reboot?  (ie will it automatically detect that devices were added or removed and start using all available devices)

What USB hubs are you using with the Raspberry Pi to plug so many USB block erupters or any other ASIC miner?
I tried the Anker 3.0 USB - 10 port what looks awesome, fits perfect & are good quality but nobody ever got them running with the Raspberry and Minepeon - the internet & this board is full of it. This hubs are working pretty on Ubuntu but not with minepeon -> it crashes with errors after booting and restart.

The only working hub I have is the D-Lin 7 Port (stacking the hubs plus add a 120mm fan) but as this has 2 permanent USB ports for loading so it`s again not perfect as only 5 could be used for the USB block erupters or any other bigger farm on USB.

southerngentuk

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:17:21 AM

Not sure on the limit, but regarding hot plugging I have shuffled around 22 between 3 10 port hubs ( 1 hub is a little temperamental) and had no issues at all, no need for a reboot.

Regarding the limit, am waiting on coupons for another 25, that will push me close to 50 so were see how it goes. Personally after that I would be getting a second PI for redundancy, Pi are cheap  Wink

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
stellan0r

Activity: 574

Medical Translations for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:18:54 AM

There is the unconfirmed limit of approx. 50 USB Miners which the RPi can handle.

When removing or adding USB miners you don't need to do anything. Insert one at a time, cgminer will autodetect it.
But for removal, well you could just pull them out but hot-plugging here really means HOT plugging. So don't do it, stop cgminer first in the console with

"sudo systemctl stop cgminer.service"

Wait a minute.
Remove the USB Miner
then

"sudo systemctl start  cgminer.service"

Done.

Allgemeine Gesundheitsberatung gegen Bitcoin-Zahlung. Bei Fragen einfach eine PM schicken!
If you want to send a thank you: BTC "1PZJvKvarRviQRQWejpvXW2j4e1xbT8MZb"
stellan0r

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:24:41 AM

What USB hubs are you using with the Raspberry Pi to plug so many USB block erupters or any other ASIC miner?
I tried the Anker 3.0 USB - 10 port what looks awesome, fits perfect & are good quality but nobody ever got them running with the Raspberry and Minepeon - the internet & this board is full of it. This hubs are working pretty on Ubuntu but not with minepeon -> it crashes with errors after booting and restart.

The only working hub I have is the D-Lin 7 Port (stacking the hubs plus add a 120mm fan) but as this has 2 permanent USB ports for loading so it`s again not perfect as only 5 could be used for the USB block erupters or any other bigger farm on USB.

actually it's not minepeon, but the RPi that can't handle USB 3.0 hubs, but please correct me if I'm wrong and this information is outdated.

I also use the D-Link DUB-H7 Hubs with 3A power supplies, they can handle 6 USB miners but the PSU get really hot then. I would not run them with more than 5 on 1. The bottom two ports of the DUB-H7 are standard USB Ports, not just power ports. When you switch off the computer the hub is connected to, the hub itself will increase the power on those two ports to 1.2 Ampere for faster charging of your phone. But while the hub is connected, it's a standard 5V 0.5A USB port that works fine with the USB Miner.

Allgemeine Gesundheitsberatung gegen Bitcoin-Zahlung. Bei Fragen einfach eine PM schicken!
southerngentuk

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:29:30 AM

Couldn't miss the opportunity to post another pic...
I have cheap ebay hubs $6. throw away the psu's I soldered them straight to an ATX psu

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Min€r

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:30:36 AM

actually it's not minepeon, but the RPi that can't handle USB 3.0 hubs, but please correct me if I'm wrong and this information is outdated.

I also use the D-Link DUB-H7 Hubs with 3A power supplies, they can handle 6 USB miners but the PSU get really hot then. I would not run them with more than 5 on 1. The bottom two ports of the DUB-H7 are standard USB Ports, not just power ports. When you switch off the computer the hub is connected to, the hub itself will increase the power on those two ports to 1.2 Ampere for faster charging of your phone. But while the hub is connected, it's a standard 5V 0.5A USB port that works fine with the USB Miner.

thanks for explanation. I would also try only 5 USB miners and would suggest the bigger operations to use the 2 others for connecting next hubs - ...this should work nice I think.

warlordluke

Activity: 44

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:38:44 AM

There is the unconfirmed limit of approx. 50 USB Miners which the RPi can handle.

When removing or adding USB miners you don't need to do anything. Insert one at a time, cgminer will autodetect it.
But for removal, well you could just pull them out but hot-plugging here really means HOT plugging. So don't do it, stop cgminer first in the console with

"sudo systemctl stop cgminer.service"

Wait a minute.
Remove the USB Miner
then

"sudo systemctl start  cgminer.service"

Done.

Neil,

Looking at this I think it might be a good idea to have a button where it stops the cgminer service for a minute or two and then restart again giving the user time to remove unwanted/faulting hardware.

Also maybe have a function that allows the user to update from a stable git branch or Minepeon maybe?
Malakai

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:51:04 AM

I have seen comments with the Pi and USB 3 Hubs. A very small few have been said to work (Depends on what is plugged into them) quite a few won't.

I am not sure if the HUBS really support 1.1 or 2.0 operations that is up to the HUB manufacturer to prove. Ultimately almost no device like the Pi has a chip that supports 3.0 USB the chips are just too expensive. (It's basically a cell phone)

One test is take a powered Anker plug it into the Pi without anything in it then take a 2.0 HUB unpowered and plug it into the Anker then plug an ASIC into it. Can it mine? This is just something I would like to know Smiley But I think it would to a degree show the Anker doesn't really support 1.1 or 2.0 very well.

Note this has been known to work with Keyboards, and Mice that will not work in an Anker as well as other 3.0 Hubs. It should be that the unpowered 2.0 Hub is what is translating the devices that are not USB 3.
stellan0r

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:51:38 AM

I have cheap ebay hubs $6. throw away the psu's I soldered them straight to an ATX psu

Nice! Are the hub stable? What about heat? Can they handle the power? Which line did you connect it to?
How do you start a ATX PSU nowadays without the motherboard cable connected to a motherboard?
That was really not that easy in 2011 without speciality parts, is there some dummy plug now you can use?

ct1aic

Activity: 714

Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:56:14 AM

When removing or adding new USB miners do you need to do anything over than reboot?  (ie will it automatically detect that devices were added or removed and start using all available devices)

Did you make or bought the power cables from PSU to the HUB's? I'm also using one of those 10 ports HUB (with 9 USB Gizmos), with a Velleman multivolt, that gives 7,5 Amperes @ 5 volts.

Rui Costa, PortugalBTC : 1ct1aicGoUVpZeovsw3cCcPJZJHV5JXtW
southerngentuk

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:10:08 AM

Did you make or bought the power cables from PSU to the HUB's? I'm also using one of those 10 ports HUB (with 9 USB Gizmos), with a Velleman multivolt, that gives 7,5 Amperes @ 5 volts.
Originally I ordered some 2.1mm connectors but they haven't arrived, being impatient I cut the 5V lines out of the molex connectors of the atx psu (bottom of pic) and soldered the 5V wires straight to the hub.. and plugged the fans into the molex (which now only has 12V lines).

ATX PSU has 28A @ 5V  4X 20A @ 12V (Reserved for K16`s)

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 02:01:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm going to be using 100 USB miners split between 6 Sipolar 20 port hubs (the kind sold by friedcat: http://tinyurl.com/mhaxdcu)

I plan to split them 50/50 with 2 raspberries.
Fallout

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:47:08 PM

Anyone got an idea what the problem is? Using a 5V/2A 4 port noname hub. The same problem exists for 2-4 USB Sticks ... Only one will hash in a good way ... Is it the power supply or could it be any other issue? (Getting some Dlink Hubs in the near future Wink )
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: