Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:44:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'm an atheist  (Read 88812 times)
Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 03:39:35 PM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZOOM007

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 10:09:19 AM

My text have other important arguments beside the ones you picked.
Anyway:
1) Social consequences: This argument in based on a factual assertion, so it's simple.
You have here the full article: https://www.academia.edu/19164068/The_Negative_Association_between_Religiousness_and_Children_s_Altruism_across_the_World
The article doesn't says religious kids "have more more empathy and sensitivity for justice then children in non-religious households". Says that their parents said that, which is a different thing.
Read the full text: "Parents of Children from Christian Households View Their Children as More Sensitive to Injustices toward Others" (p. 2954, figure 4). "Consistent with research linking religiousness and adult self-reports of moral behavior, frequency of religious attendance, spirituality, and overall religiousness predicted parent-reported child sensitivity to the plight of others (empathy and sensitivity to justice). Religious individuals consistently score higher than non-religiousones on self-reported measures of socially desirable responding [26]. This previous literature, coupled with the currentfindings,supports an internal consistency in adults’ self-assessments of their moral dispositions and extends to their beliefs about their children." (P. 2953).
The article mocks those self-reports.
It would be a surprise if after failing on altruism, religious kids would win on empathy or non punitive justice.
There are some religions that have a complex of "chosen" people that will go to heaven compared with the "infidels" that will burn in hell and, so, are more or less a distinct kind of human, doomed to the flames, unworthy of the same respect. Most people convinced that they own the truth will be intolerant to the "others".
This kind of thought, which is the basis of the inquisition, still exists. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the reasons for these results.
Your health praises of religion are like considering religion as a kind of Prozac or Ecstasy. One lives happy in one's delusion.
I prefer to be haunted by my destiny of nothingness, than live under an illusion (as I wrote here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1221052.msg14296644#msg14296644), especially one that I think has serious social consequences.
I admit that this might have negative consequences on individual health. But it's absurd to believe in god for health reasons. It's like defending that we should be permanently high in order to be happy.
On Pascal's wager, or the "prudential reason to believe in God", I more or less mock it on my 11 point. It isn't honest.
But I'll have to evaluate more empirical studies, including the one you quoted.
2) If you read John Rawls' Theory of Justice you will realize that atheism/secularism doesn't need a god to justify Ethics. I'm no nihilist on Ethics as is clear on the next point.
3) I'm appalled by your attempt to justify the quoted passage of the Exodus.
What is written there is beyond any justification under current Ethics. It seems your problem is only with the punishment of the third and forth generation, no problem with the sons being punished by the sins of their parents, even if they believe in the "right god" and are good persons.
I think the current disastrous birth rate rate on western countries has little to do with religiosity. Even if it seems clear that religion induces people to have children, it isn't the lack of it that makes people stop having them. The reason is economic: people don't need to have children, the state/corporation pays their pension (until it soon goes bankrupt, then they will start having babies again).
Anyway, god won't punish only the atheists, but also believers on other gods. And those have been on Earth for more than 50,000 years. There would be plenty of generations to punish.
I don't see the point on debating the clear immorality of main rules of the Torah. If you can't see it on your own, you seem to live in a world with no modern individual rights.
4) Your theory on the Brain's role as a transmitter is precisely what I criticize.
You didn't explained how we lose conscience when the brain is injured/hill and why when the brain recovers we can't remember anything. If it was a transmitter, we should remember everything during the black out of the brain. It should be only an interruption of the "transmission".
Blackmet

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2016, 09:04:28 PM

I am an atheist cause i can't see any proofs of God, i beleive on science and if they will proof that god exist, i will change my mind instantly, everybody will.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:52:31 PM

I am an atheist cause i can't see any proofs of God, i beleive on science and if they will proof that god exist, i will change my mind instantly, everybody will.

A microbe scientifically examining a water molecule probably won't find much in the line of proof for either God or mankind.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
qwik2learn

Activity: 636
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 09:53:30 PM

Your health praises of religion are like considering religion as a kind of Prozac or Ecstasy. One lives happy in one's delusion.
I prefer to be haunted by my destiny of nothingness, than live under an illusion (as I wrote here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1221052.msg14296644#msg14296644), especially one that I think has serious social consequences.
Is there actually any evidence for this claim that the destiny of your awareness is nothingness? OP makes the same claim but he also has no evidence, and there is strong evidence to the contrary:

"It is more elegant and far easier to accept as a working hypothesis that sentience exists as a potential at the source of creation, and the strongest evidence has already been put on the table: Everything to be observed in the universe implies consciousness."

4) Your theory on the Brain's role as a transmitter is precisely what I criticize.
You didn't explained how we lose conscience when the brain is injured/hill and why when the brain recovers we can't remember anything. If it was a transmitter, we should remember everything during the black out of the brain. It should be only an interruption of the "transmission".

I criticize the OP's theory that the brain is a generator of consciousness; the evidence points to a role more like that of a transmitter, but OP does not want to discuss that evidence with me in detail.
You can find your criticisms of the transmission hypothesis addressed in Irreducible Mind and other related publications, including ones I have cited for this thread.
Moloch

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 11:07:41 PM

qwik2learn

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 06:36:14 AM

It's time for OP to admit that I have given a satisfactory counterexample to his unsupported idea that awareness ends at death:

Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence for the cessation of awareness upon death.
Medical science showing that awareness does not end upon cessation of brain function:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1475732.0
Trading (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 03:40:45 PM by Trading

You change the rules of the scientific method (quoting some lunatics and calling them visionaries), call scientifically proven conclusions I can only qualify as pure delusions, deny realities you can see frequently with your own eyes (try to talk to a corps and then tell me that "there is no evidence for the cessation of awareness upon death"), how can you seriously want to have a rational debate?

I like your willingness to discuss these issues, but you are eluding your self with anecdotal cases that, at best, suggest that neurons can still have some activity even one or two minutes without blood flow.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
qwik2learn

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 04:14:55 PM

anecdotal cases

These cases describe valid perceptions that did occur (correct and obscure facts were remembered by the patient, so it was obviously not imagination) and these perceptions were verified by medical staff (reliable witnesses) to take place during a certain time. Since the observation and timing details were independently provided by many impartial observers, it cannot be dismissed as unreliable. Nothing is embellished in this case, Dr. Parnia is well within his academic prudence to make the following claims:

"In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat.

“This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn't resume again until the heart has been restarted.

“Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events."

If you are not satisfied with the quality of the evidence, then may I suggest that you provide a better experimental design that would be more reliable and which would produce the evidence that you feel would be adequate; the follow-up study is already in the process of gathering participants.

that, at best, suggest that neurons can still have some activity even one or two minutes without blood flow.
This suggestion that you allege is not borne out by medical facts; we already determined that neurons do not have activity after 40 seconds and that brain activity (and brain function) does not return until blood flow is restored. There is NO evidence that brain function can be restored before blood flow is restored, so you have not met your burden of proof for your assertion that these neurons still show activity after 40 seconds.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 07:15:04 PM

anecdotal cases

These cases describe valid perceptions that did occur (correct and obscure facts were remembered by the patient, so it was obviously not imagination) and these perceptions were verified by medical staff (reliable witnesses) to take place during a certain time. Since the observation and timing details were independently provided by many impartial observers, it cannot be dismissed as unreliable. Nothing is embellished in this case, Dr. Parnia is well within his academic prudence to make the following claims:

"In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat.

“This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn't resume again until the heart has been restarted.

“Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events."

If you are not satisfied with the quality of the evidence, then may I suggest that you provide a better experimental design that would be more reliable and which would produce the evidence that you feel would be adequate; the follow-up study is already in the process of gathering participants.

that, at best, suggest that neurons can still have some activity even one or two minutes without blood flow.
This suggestion that you allege is not borne out by medical facts; we already determined that neurons do not have activity after 40 seconds and that brain activity (and brain function) does not return until blood flow is restored. There is NO evidence that brain function can be restored before blood flow is restored, so you have not met your burden of proof for your assertion that these neurons still show activity after 40 seconds.

Too "qwik2learn" the wrong thing. Just wanted to say that.     Grin

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Moloch

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 02:23:10 PM

Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 03:49:38 PM

I was a passionate atheist, right now I've got alot into buddhism, it's spiritualism and philosophy and every time i see these post like this I cringe really hard. Why do you have a need to let other know you're an atheist?

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Trading (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 02:45:11 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2016, 04:47:02 AM by Trading

We are just a pattern of organization of a bunch of atoms that, by pure environmental circumstances and chance, gained conscience; however, only because of this awareness, astonishingly, some of us started believing that we are destined for a greater fate than the other common bunch of atoms (entropy).

And this believe, in it self, was completely alright (being, by my perspective, erroneous is irrelevant, you have the right to deceive yourselves), if a minority (historically, a majority) of believers didn't start oppressing others, limiting their life possibilities or exploding themselves together with a lot of innocents (see the lasts two points of the OP) because of his religious beliefs.

When religious people decide to kill themselves for political motives, frequently, they like to "end in glory", taking as much infidels with them as possible.

Buddhists deserve some praise: usually, when they kill themselves for political reasons they don't take others with them, not even their oppressors. But, unfortunately, you are a minority on the modesty of your end.

And no, I'm not thinking only about radical Islamism. Generalizations are always dangerous, but, historically, one can argue that Christians were even crueler on "holy" wars than Muslims.

The reason was simple: Muslims recognize Jesus as a Prophet; Christians don't give any credit to Muhammad and hence to Islamism.

For instance, compare the Christian conquest of Jerusalem (1099: almost all on the city were massacred, women and children included, Muslims and even Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jerusalem_(1099)#Massacre) with the Muslim one (1187: Saladin respected his word and no one was killed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jerusalem_(1187)#The_siege).

Are we talking about history? Religion has nothing to do with the wars initiated by western countries? Probably, little, however at least on paper: "George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq': http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa. We are all still paying the price for the 2003 Iraq invasion.

And let's not forget Israel's Prime-minister and his policy of annexation of Palestinian land. On his 2015 discourse on the american Congress he said: "Moses led our people from slavery to the gates of the Promised Land. And before the people of Israel entered the Land of Israel" (http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/31608/full-text-pm-netanyahus-speech-joint-session-us-congress-jerusalem/).

So, why publish the OP? Because some religious people are dangerous and religions have pernicious effects.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
qwik2learn

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 03:18:05 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2016, 03:29:59 AM by qwik2learn

I criticize the OP's theory that the brain is a generator of consciousness; the evidence points to a role more like that of a transmitter, but OP does not want to discuss that evidence with me in detail.

We are just an organization pattern of a bunch of atoms that, by pure environmental circumstances and chance, gained conscience; however, only because of this awareness, astonishingly, some of us started believing that we are destined for a greater fate than the other common bunch of atoms (entropy).
One does not need to believe in a soul to see that this is as nice a case of the "just-so story" as one could ever find in any introductory logic book.
By "a bunch of atoms", you obviously are referring to the brain and nervous system which consist of physical atoms,
but what you fail to realize is that there is evidence that consciousness is more than this physical structure
and this physical structure is not even necessary for consciousness.
I have presented the evidence which suggests this conclusion numerous times and you have no plausible answer for it. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Since that which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence, it becomes obvious that my side of the argument is the only one that is scientifically plausible. You seem to think that you do not have a burden of proof in this discussion and you obviously will not consider any hypothesis besides physicalism, so to clarify this state of affairs, I will continue to ask you:

Is there actually any evidence for this claim that the destiny of your awareness is nothingness? Or that consciousness is purely physical? And what about the strong evidence to the contrary, like the verified case of the man who had awareness of a sound during a period when he was without a functional brain? Is this case not a counterexample to the notion that awareness ends at death? Hence, I propose to you the following for your agreement because I believe that this hypothesis (unlike physicalism) has the weight of evidence behind it:

It is more elegant and far easier to accept as a working hypothesis that sentience exists as a potential at the source of creation, and the strongest evidence has already been put on the table: Everything to be observed in the universe implies consciousness.

So, why publish the OP? Because some religious people are dangerous and religions have pernicious effects.
Religion itself may be good, even if religions are dangerous. "Religions are, for the most part, bad—but religion is not."--Kurt Gödel (Read More)
How can you ignore our discussion and continue to repeat your baseless claims about physicalism when there is hard evidence on the table? Maybe atheism has pernicious effects! Your ignorance could be cured if you decided to engage with me in our discussion; I have tried my best to lay out the disagreements, and I look forward to your reply. If you wish, I can be contacted by phone (PM me for this info).
qwik2learn

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 03:21:47 AM

you have the right to deceive yourselves

I feel that you have said it ALL, brother.

This suggestion that you allege is not borne out by medical facts; we already determined that neurons do not have activity after 40 seconds [during cardiac arrest] and that brain activity (and brain function) does not return until blood flow is restored. There is NO evidence that brain function can be restored before blood flow is restored, so you have not met your burden of proof for your assertion that these neurons still show activity after 40 seconds.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 04:12:19 AM

We are just an pattern of organization of a bunch of atoms that, by pure environmental circumstances and chance, gained conscience; however, only because of this awareness, astonishingly, some of us started believing that we are destined for a greater fate than the other common bunch of atoms (entropy).

<>

Except for the complexity. If environmental circumstance and chance could produce the complexity that we are, it would have destroyed the complexity almost faster than it could make the complexity.

Math and probability prove that the complexity of the universe could not have happened by chance.

Cool

Trading (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 04:36:28 AM

you have the right to deceive yourselves

I feel that you have said it ALL, brother.

This suggestion that you allege is not borne out by medical facts; we already determined that neurons do not have activity after 40 seconds [during cardiac arrest] and that brain activity (and brain function) does not return until blood flow is restored. There is NO evidence that brain function can be restored before blood flow is restored, so you have not met your burden of proof for your assertion that these neurons still show activity after 40 seconds.

Do you really think that the most complex reality we know in nature, the human brain, is just a "receptor" of a "soul"?

Each of us has about 100 billion neurons. Each one "has on average 7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons. It has been estimated that the brain of a three-year-old child has about [...] 1 quadrillion [synapses]. This number declines with age, stabilizing by adulthood. Estimates vary for an adult, ranging from [...] 100 to 500 trillion." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron#Connectivity).

You claim being a quick learner. Doesn't your intuition tell you are wrong? Something so complex that we still can't understand has to be more than a simple "receptor".

The brain consumes 20% of our energy. What an evolutionary waste if that was its only function.

You are assuming as the truth that neurons can have no activity whatsoever after 40 seconds. That can't be considered as absolutely settled. Nothing about the brain can considered as closed. It's non sense to base on your "evidence" any conclusion about a "soul".

Any evidence considered as that by real science says we are purely physical. The rest is wishful thinking.

You qualify as hard evidence a few individual cases? Come one, you would have to do much better than that.

Moreover, you are repeating your arguments. I already answered them. You have a conception of science that has nothing to do with the consensual one, with proven results.

Trading (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 05:04:38 AM

Out of sympathy for you (and for your finding on the article quoted on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1481567.0), I'm going to answer you, but, as usually, we think according to different logical rules:

"If environmental circumstance and chance could produce the complexity that we are"

Evolution is proven beyond doubt, based on fossils and genetics. The mechanisms of evolution are adaptation, based on more or less random genetic changes, to environmental circumstances, ergo environmental circumstance and chance created our complexity.

"it would have destroyed the complexity almost faster than it could make the complexity."

This is a statement of fact, I guess you have hard evidence to justify why it would be faster destroying than making us? Anyway, if you gave chance enough time, it will destroy us. Just don't wait standing.

"Math and probability prove that the complexity of the universe could not have happened by chance."

Since we are more complex than any galaxy (we have more cells than a galaxy has stars and, probably, planets), and we were made by evolution that is determined by chance and adaptation to circumstances, it seems your math and probabilities (that, as usually, you don't present) are wrong.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 06:00:36 AM

Out of sympathy for you (and for your finding on the article quoted on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1481567.0), I'm going to answer you, but, as usually, we think according to different logical rules:

"If environmental circumstance and chance could produce the complexity that we are"

Evolution is proven beyond doubt, based on fossils and genetics. The mechanisms of evolution are adaptation, based on more or less random genetic changes, to environmental circumstances, ergo environmental circumstance and chance created our complexity.
"Evolution" has many meanings. If you are talking about inorganic material changing into a human being, the odds are so far against it that it is way impossible under any circumstances. The longer the time (age of the universe), the more impossible it becomes. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1454732.0.

Fossils show no missing links. All they show is a great variety of plants and animals, greater than we have at present.

There is no random. Cause and effect, which is upheld by Newton's 3rd Law, shows that all effects are caused. This means that there is no pure random.

All the things that you are talking about are conjecture in the way that you are talking about them. This is why evolution is classified as theory rather than fact.

"it would have destroyed the complexity almost faster than it could make the complexity."

This is a statement of fact, I guess you have hard evidence to justify why it would be faster destroying than making us? Anyway, if you gave chance enough time, it will destroy us. Just don't wait standing.
Chance doesn't have anything to do with destroying us or not. The thing called "death" is what has been destroying us for years now. However, there are always some people still around. So, life is stronger than death.

"Math and probability prove that the complexity of the universe could not have happened by chance."

Since we are more complex than any galaxy (we have more cells than a galaxy has stars and, probably, planets), and we were made by evolution that is determined by chance and adaptation to circumstances, it seems your math and probabilities (that, as usually, you don't present) are wrong.

There wasn't any evolution in the way you are using the word. There isn't any thing called "chance." Chance has to do with our inability to see things in detail. Since we can't see the details, we use probability to guestimate them. In reality, there is no probability... no chance.

God pre-programmed the universe to exist as it does.

Cool

qwik2learn

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 06:46:09 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2016, 06:59:04 AM by qwik2learn

Do you really think that the most complex reality we know in nature, the human brain, is just a "receptor" of a "soul"?
Ah, so you think that the brain is too complex an organ and a mere "receptor" is too simple a mechanism?
Soul or not, I think you should pay attention to Kurt Gödel who says:
"I don’t think the brain came in the Darwinian manner. In fact, it is disprovable. Simple mechanism can’t yield the brain. I think the basic elements of the universe are simple. Life force is a primitive element of the universe and it obeys certain laws of action. These laws are not simple, and they are not mechanical."
Even Darwin doubted that human reason could be trusted if it had evolved from blind forces and unconscious matter; in this he was agreeing with Descartes and Gödel.

Each of us has about 100 billion neurons. Each one "has on average 7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons. It has been estimated that the brain of a three-year-old child has about [...] 1 quadrillion [synapses]. This number declines with age, stabilizing by adulthood. Estimates vary for an adult, ranging from [...] 100 to 500 trillion." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron#Connectivity).

On the contrary, my intuition has thoroughly surveyed the issue of "receptors" from a scientific standpoint. I conclude along with Hammeroff that feelings came before the brain; this is a powerful argument supporting the idea that the brain does not generate consciousness:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stuart-hameroff/darwin-versus-deepak-whic_b_7481048.html
Will you address these four empirical observations which lead Hammeroff and myself to conclude that feelings came before the brain?
Hammeroff has proposed his theory of quantum consciousness; this will help science to explain NDEs like the AWARE study; there is plenty of supporting evidence: Quantum theory supports concepts found in NDEs.

You claim being a quick learner. Doesn't your intuition tell you are wrong? Something so complex that we still can't understand has to be more than a simple "receptor".
I must inform you that you present two related arguments from ignorance:
1) The mind is generated by the brain because the brain is so complex that I (Trading) do not understand how the mind can act as a receiver (of consciousness).
2) The mind is not generated by the soul because the idea of a receptor is so simple that I cannot understand how the mind can act as anything but a generator (of consciousness).

I think that you don't want to accept Dr. Parnia's three claims from the AWARE study (see below) and conclude that the mind can exist independent of brain. That is OK; I am sure that as you read more of these references that I am providing, you will have a better understanding of the problems faced by science in explaining consciousness from a purely physical standpoint.

The brain consumes 20% of our energy. What an evolutionary waste if that was its only function.
You are making presumptions about the origin of the brain, but I am trying to discuss the hard evidence that has been presented.

You are assuming as the truth that neurons can have no activity whatsoever after 40 seconds. That can't be considered as absolutely settled.
You present another argument from ignorance:
"In cases of cardiac arrest, it is possible that brain activity can occur more than 2 minutes after cardiac arrest because you (qwik2learn) cannot prove that all brain activity ceases after 40 seconds of anoxia."

You are misinformed: The 40 second rule for brain activity (and consciousness) is a fact of human physiology with a sound basis in neurophysiology. According to today's science, the issue is actually settled:

0) The intricate relationship between the brain and its higher functions is never more apparent than when the brain becomes dysfunctional. How can a physicalist explain a higher-functioning mind when the underlying brain is dysfunctional and offline? This point alone stretches credulity to the breaking point and introduces far too much complexity to make physicalism a viable theory.
1) Brain activity that is associated with consciousness is a whole-brain phenomena, higher brain function can always be detected by the EEG, and since the EEG is the summation of the spikes of individual neurons, it stands to reason that a global brain phenomena (consciousness) would always result in a positive measurement of brain activity. The link between neural activity, brain activity, and the brain's higher functions is very well established, for example "ongoing [brain] activity fluctuations ... constitute an essential property of the neural architecture underlying cognition", so a global shutdown of neural activity would cause a disruption in the EEG and total loss of consciousness with no restoration of higher function until the global shutdown is reversed. Cognition, like perception and awareness, is always observed to be a global phenomena, and such a phenomena cannot be expected during a global shutdown.
2) it is easy to tell the difference between consciousness, coma, sleep, death/near-death, and etc. on the EEG. The function of EEG is perfectly clear: it records brain activity. Understanding the vegetative state presents a challenge for science, but the relationship between brain activity and higher brain functions like awareness is VERY well-established.
3) The higher neurons in the rostral brain are programmed for ischemic vulnerability when all neurons should be as resilient as possible, indicating that robust spreading depolarization is not simply a pathology but is rather an active shutdown process that evolved in response to reduced blood flow caused by head trauma. Since lower neurons are not as vulnerable, it is obvious that the higher functions (like awareness) are programmed to shut down first and remain shut down until the anoxic depolarization is reversed.
4) Depolarization of neurons is a well-understood concept in biophysics; to block anoxic depolarization requires a concentrated cocktail of ion-gated and ligand-gated channel antagonists that electrically silences the tissue. Otherwise, the anoxic depolarization takes place within the expected timeframe, first with the higher neurons, the depolarization that takes place under the normal rules of biophysics at the cellular level will quickly shut down the brain and only a reversal of the global anoxic depolarization can bring back the global phenomena of consciousness.
Therefore,
The burden of proof is on you, the physicalist (Trading), to provide evidence that a patient could plausibly attest to conscious experience during a time when there is no blood flow, no brain activity on the EEG, and already 2 minutes after onset of cardiac arrest. You cannot use ignorance of biophysical mechanisms as an excuse for lacking a plausible explanation because this phenomena is by no means supported by even the most rudimentary biophysical neuroscience. In other words, the physicalist always holds to the idea "no brain activity = no brain function"; it is the bedrock of neuroscience and I would like to see even ONE neuroscientist who would disagree with that assessment.

Nothing about the brain can considered as closed. It's non sense to base on your "evidence" any conclusion about a "soul".
You are rejecting the evidence and instead putting forth arguments from ignorance.

Any evidence considered as that by real science says we are purely physical. The rest is wishing thinking.
This case was observed and it was not the first case of its kind; since it was observed by multiple credible witnesses, I believe it is you who is wishfully thinking.

You qualify as hard evidence a few individual cases? Come one, you would have to do much better than that.
If you would read the near-death evidence page, you would see that related phenomena is very common in all peoples. I also recommend the eminent researchers link and other pages found on the spiritual development website. Many various phenomena unite in establishing the truth that awareness does not perish upon death.
For example: "According to recent studies, only about 10% of people are conscious shortly before their death. Of this group, 50% to 67% have DBVs."
http://www.near-death.com/science/evidence.html#a45

Moreover, you are repeating your arguments. I already answered them.
You did not answer them with any evidence that meets your burden of proof. See above the four/five observations made by me and four more observations made by Hammeroff. I have not heard any straightforward rebuttal to the three claims of Dr. Parnia from this study. All that you have said to me is "you cannot know for sure that the brain is not generating the awareness even though it is shut down", but to conclude the opposite (that the brain could generate awareness even if it is "turned off") is very absurd, it is obviously not the simpler explanation.

Your arguments appear to be based on scientism with assumptions that survival is impossible even though survival has not been ruled out. Pseudo-skeptical arguments are being made that do not consider the entire body of circumstantial evidence supporting the possibility of survival or do not consider the possibility of new paradigms. Such pseudo-skeptical claims are being made without any scientific evidence.

You have a conception of science that has nothing to do with the consensual one, with proven results.
The results of this case study are not considered to be proven? Then which claims are in doubt? Do you doubt the medical staff as credible witnesses? Do you doubt that the brain ceases its higher functions after (less than) 40 seconds of cardiac arrest? Do you doubt that the patient had recollections that were consistent with the verified events described by the medical staff? Which of these claims are in doubt and why?

1) "In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat.

2) “This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn't resume again until the heart has been restarted.

3) “Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events."
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: