Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:25:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:52:27 PM

Spent half a day reading 200-240 pages and just finished.

Not going to ask any stupid questions like some of the guys here  Grin but will continue to follow the topic for future updates as I'm really interesed in investing in 2 Jupiter miners Smiley

I just have one question and I hope it's not very stupid: Why the Xcrowd Pavonis (the 1st i the list) has negative ROI (in BTC) with contant 17% and 20% increase in difficulty and Jupiter/Saturn/Mercury don't?
So basically it shows that the Xcrowd Pavonis will lose 1.48BTC in 1 year if difficulty rises 20% every 2 weeks for the same period of 1 year, right?

The chart doesn't specify if it calculates power costs too.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Henchman24

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:56:58 PM

Why the Xcrowd Pavonis (the 1st i the list) has negative ROI (in BTC) with contant 17% and 20% increase in difficulty and Jupiter/Saturn/Mercury don't?

It's due to the lead time.  Difficulty will be much higher in December.
titomane

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 04:17:34 PM

Just a little bit of info regarding KnC
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated that within July they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens Smiley

Knc said that within July they were sending to Kano and Ckolivas mock up devices to work on cgminer implementation.

So, now we have passed a concrete deadline we can all verify.

Kano, did you receive the mock up device?

I sent a PM to Kano a few days ago. I asked if he had been in contact with him or CKolivas KNC

He answer this:

pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 04:19:12 PM

Why the Xcrowd Pavonis (the 1st i the list) has negative ROI (in BTC) with contant 17% and 20% increase in difficulty and Jupiter/Saturn/Mercury don't?

It's due to the lead time.  Difficulty will be much higher in December.

I'd be really surprised if we see 20% difficulty increase every 2 weeks for the next year though....  If that happens then ASICS were way oversold and that will hurt the ability for next generation ASICS to be produced profitably for quite some time.  As big GPU/FPGA farms are moving to alts/shutting down there will be a little relief in the expansion of hashing power but ultimately there will be a price point where general global cost of electric vs. current asic efficiency which will not likely be exceeded (unless the market was way oversold, which will cause some - particularly late comers to never get ROI on their investments).  KNC is nice because their estimated max efficiency rate is quite a bit lower than currently shipping competitors so that keeps KNC miners in the game for longer.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 04:21:24 PM

Just a little bit of info regarding KnC
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated that within July they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens Smiley

Knc said that within July they were sending to Kano and Ckolivas mock up devices to work on cgminer implementation.

So, now we have passed a concrete deadline we can all verify.

Kano, did you receive the mock up device?

Send a PM to Kano a few days ago. I asked if he had been in contact with him or CKolivas KNC

He answer "NO"

it's early but the Utah couple is supposed to get a KNC miner also this month.
WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 04:55:18 PM

Has anyone asked or know if the hosted KNC pool will be doing NMC merged mining?   These should produce a solid amount of namecoins.

Don't know, they plan to do a multi alt-currency machine with memory for scrypt etc. at some point in the future after these Bitcoin ASICs are in the wild, so I dare say their pool will grow to accommodate, not sure if it will be in the immediate future, but if they do go multi-currency then they will want to make their pool attractive.

quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin:

Namecoin is merge mined with Bitcoin, which means that a node can mine for both Namecoin and Bitcoin simultaneously at the same rate that they would mine just one.

Email them and suggest it. Let us know pls...

sure it seems a good thing to do, but I believe that it's up to @FeedbackLoop to do it since he raised the quest in the first place. I just wanna said that namecoin is SHA-256 based, again quoting wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency) :

SHA-256 proof-of-work. Namecoin is meant to act as a decentralized DNS, which would make internet censorship very difficult. Namecoin serves the .bit domain.

If you want something in life, ask for it. Kindly.

I thought more of you knew about merge mining.  This allows NMC's network to be secured rather than requiring miners to target NMC specifically.  This is why namecoin always shows up as one of the worst coins to mine at a current profitability rate of 3.40% compared to mining BTC. Since you are not dedicating your hashing power to the coin, 3.40% is great free coins.

Namecoin is not directly mined solo but usually merge-mined with bitcoin and devcoin. Most mining pools merge mine these cryptocurrencies as it allows for a little extra profit. Currently 3-5% extra compared to only mining Bitcoin.

Off the top of my head, BitMinter.com does merge mining..   Getting an extra 3-5% is huge and if the KNC pool doesn't offer it. I'll have to opt out of that pool.  I'll ask KNC and Byteminr.com.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 04:59:49 PM

Has anyone asked or know if the hosted KNC pool will be doing NMC merged mining?   These should produce a solid amount of namecoins.

Don't know, they plan to do a multi alt-currency machine with memory for scrypt etc. at some point in the future after these Bitcoin ASICs are in the wild, so I dare say their pool will grow to accommodate, not sure if it will be in the immediate future, but if they do go multi-currency then they will want to make their pool attractive.

quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin:

Namecoin is merge mined with Bitcoin, which means that a node can mine for both Namecoin and Bitcoin simultaneously at the same rate that they would mine just one.

Email them and suggest it. Let us know pls...

sure it seems a good thing to do, but I believe that it's up to @FeedbackLoop to do it since he raised the quest in the first place. I just wanna said that namecoin is SHA-256 based, again quoting wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency) :

SHA-256 proof-of-work. Namecoin is meant to act as a decentralized DNS, which would make internet censorship very difficult. Namecoin serves the .bit domain.

If you want something in life, ask for it. Kindly.

I thought more of you knew about merge mining.  This allows NMC's network to be secured rather than requiring miners to target NMC specifically.  This is why namecoin always shows up as one of the worst coins to mine at a current profitability rate of 3.40% compared to mining BTC. Since you are not dedicating your hashing power to the coin, 3.40% is great free coins.

Namecoin is not directly mined solo but usually merge-mined with bitcoin and devcoin. Most mining pools merge mine these cryptocurrencies as it allows for a little extra profit. Currently 3-5% extra compared to only mining Bitcoin.

Off the top of my head, BitMinter.com does merge mining..   Getting an extra 3-5% is huge and if the KNC pool doesn't offer it. I'll have to opt out of that pool.  I'll ask KNC and Byteminr.com.

Sounds like a great idea, especially as they said they wanted to maximise our ROI. I'm sure they'd consider it if it makes their offering more attractive...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:06:32 PM

"@FeedbackLoop" did not raise the quest @WastedLTC raised the quest and @FeedbackLoop told him about the poll KNC did regarding alt coins. That said @FeedbackLoop would of course be interested in namecoin merged mining but he does not understand enough about the subject.

Pity to hear about the missed "Kano deadline". 

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:16:00 PM

"@FeedbackLoop" did not raise the quest @WastedLTC raised the quest and @FeedbackLoop told him about the poll KNC did regarding alt coins. That said @FeedbackLoop would of course be interested in namecoin merged mining but he does not understand enough about the subject.

What missed deadline?! There wasn't one, he get's a unit once chips are in hand.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:44:01 PM

What missed deadline?! There wasn't one, he get's a unit once chips are in hand.

OK, you are right. Sorry for phrasing it as deadline, even with the quotes.
eraziel

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

Let's just say that things aren't progressing at the rate they were anticipating since they would have shipped the mock-up devices already.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 05:52:42 PM

Let's just say that things aren't progressing at the rate they were anticipating since they would have shipped the mock-up devices already.

this fact would explane why they met a BFL representative to get a feeling of what they can expect from the crowd, wouldn't it?  Wink

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:07:06 PM

BS!

Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 06:12:07 PM

Regarding Namecoin mining: with merged mining you don't need to do anything special with the hardware - it's all done for you by the mining pool. The KnC should work with NMC without them doing anything at all (other then with their own hosted pool)

___
Reading the google translate from that Russian thread with the BFL/KnC pic is pretty funny:

Кaк тo aж cпoкoйнee нa дyшe cтaлo, нe cкopo КHCы ycтpoйcтвa poдят, xoть oт ниx cлoжнocть нe бyдeт pacти, paзвe чтo чepeз гoд

How much quieter then my heart was not KNSy device will give birth soon, though the complexity of them will not grow, except that in a year

That guy's avatar is a sphere made from spinning pot leaves.

ЗЫ. тoжe гoвopю кaк юpиcт, в плюce бyдyт тoлькo юpиcты.

Threat. also speak as a lawyer in the black will only lawyers.

eraziel

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:33:56 PM

BS!

Care to elaborate why is it bs exactly?
Are you in possession of some super-secret information that we don't have that has led you to believe they are on schedule?

Fact is that there has been no information in their newsletters about how the development is progressing for quite a while now and the only milestone visible to the community was the delivery of mock-up devices for the cgminer devs to start implementing support for knc devices. And that one is now behind schedule.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 06:44:04 PM

Well, once the chips are off to the fabs, there isn't really that much for an IC company to do except sit around and wait for a couple months.

I think the prototypes they were supposed to ship were going to be Mars devices, presumably using a similar interface/protocol to the planned ICs. Since they decided to cancel mars they'd have nothing to ship except the single prototype they apparently made.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:44:15 PM

BS!

Care to elaborate why is it bs exactly?
Are you in possession of some super-secret information that we don't have that has led you to believe they are on schedule?

Fact is that there has been no information in their newsletters about how the development is progressing for quite a while now and the only milestone visible to the community was the delivery of mock-up devices for the cgminer devs to start implementing support for knc devices. And that one is now behind schedule.

Behind whose schedule?! You're assuming thing based without fact. KnC have said themselves they are on track and they aim to send CGminer a box in Sept once they get the chips.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237114.msg2507772#msg2507772

"Sam: Yup, we've contacted the major developers, they're on board, they're gonna be given our boxes over the summer that will be functionally identical apart from performance. And then when the chips arrive in September then they will be given the boxes appropriate for testing on.

Me: Is there a reason...is that ah...ip reason that you don't want them to see such things as...

Sam: No, no, no, basically we want to give to them a box that looks identical, to Jupiter, behaves identically in every single way apart from hashing speed. So, they can get their interface, they can get their code inside, they can get their automatic firmware (unknown word? - poor audio) processes working with us, they can do all that kind of stuff, and then we'll be using that for product stuff, like airflow, cooling and other things. And then when the chips do arrive, we will put two chips in the right board, and send them out to them as well. But we don't want to...

Marcus: So we order... (something I can't make out as Sam speaks again – he's physically closer, so louder)

Sam: Exactly

Marcus: ...we've all ready got the surrounding components, power, dcdc modules, the on chip linux software, all that is already developed, tested, ready to go.

But obviously we need their code to work on the box as soon as it's delivered. I mean, it's unfair to ship out a hundred boxes and say, “Sorry guys, you need to wait for CGMiner  to finish”, so they can do all their testing with the other boxes first."

eraziel

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

So where are the "identical but less-powerful" boxes that should have been delivered "over the summer" which September does not fit into...
Pretty much as things are going right now exactly what's stated in that discussion will happen - devices might ship but will not be supported as the devs wouldn't have had enough time to implement support in the miner...
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:02:00 PM

So where are the "identical but less-powerful" boxes that should have been delivered "over the summer" which September does not fit into...
Pretty much as things are going right now exactly what's stated in that discussion will happen - devices might ship but will not be supported as the devs wouldn't have had enough time to implement support in the miner...

Ask them?! Jeez man send an email if you're that concerned. Let the rest of us know instead of whining on the forum trying to stir the pot.

eraziel

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

I'm certainly hoping they deliver on time and do it in a professional manner so that we can forget about BFL and Avalon. Nothing that I'd like more than that. As many others on this forum, I suppose.
Pages: « 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: