Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 155 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Cast XMR] high speed XMR/CryptoNight miner for RX Vega GPUs (2 KHash/s)  (Read 206338 times)
lankyman

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Has anybody been able to run more than 5 Vega gpus in one rig with the blockchain drivers?

Once I put in the 6th card windows crashes for me.

when it crashes is it a mission to get windows to see the gpus again, or use them again i mean?
ihave 3 gpus and fark me, i get blue screens and stuff,i cant use msi afterburner for some bloody reason
and once i get a crash i struggle to get windows to see the gpus in a healthy state again
like when i run a miner sgminer claymore whatever  it crashes again,
just want to know your experience

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VaynardW

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:12:57 AM

That is the issue with amd cards, when they crashed and reset the driver, very rarely it returns to normal state
If you check with gpu-z or probably any monitoring tools, either the core or memory clock stuck and not coming back to idle state, at this point all you can do is hard reset, I've tried reenabling the cards through device manager, doesn't help
jmumich

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:47:11 PM

RE: Temperatures:

58 on GPU is too much.

The temperatures that cast gives are the GPU temps. These are irrelevant for vega as it's the HBM that gets too hot.

@OP: Please add HBM temperatures to the log on cast-xmr ! These are all we care for with vega!

Now, my GPU temps are always around 48-50C. The HBM is usually 10 degrees hotter (58-60C). At 65 the HBM will back-off to cool down and this will cause lower hash rate.

My ambient temp is about 25C and my fans are ~3200-3400 RPM. I do have fresh air intake blowing ambient air on the rigs.

Whatever you do, 65 is the limit on HBM.

How do we know that 65 is the limit on HBM? I have a rig of Vega 56 cards running at ~1950 h/s for over a week, with core temp set to 70 (high ambient temp location).

On the other hand, I had 2 rigs in a different location where I could easily keep them at 50c core. One runs at ~1950 h/s. The other would start out that high, and then drop sometime thereafter - usually 15 mins to an hour later. Restarting the miner (and it didn't matter which one) would bring them back up to 1950, but again only for a short time.

The only way I could fix it was to reinstall Windows, so I'm guessing there's something else at play here. Or it may be the HBM temp causes the hash rate drop as well, and I got a batch that is less sensitive. But either way I think there's another cause.
medium_scale_miner

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:01:03 PM

RE: Temperatures:

58 on GPU is too much.

The temperatures that cast gives are the GPU temps. These are irrelevant for vega as it's the HBM that gets too hot.

@OP: Please add HBM temperatures to the log on cast-xmr ! These are all we care for with vega!

Now, my GPU temps are always around 48-50C. The HBM is usually 10 degrees hotter (58-60C). At 65 the HBM will back-off to cool down and this will cause lower hash rate.

My ambient temp is about 25C and my fans are ~3200-3400 RPM. I do have fresh air intake blowing ambient air on the rigs.

Whatever you do, 65 is the limit on HBM.

How do we know that 65 is the limit on HBM? I have a rig of Vega 56 cards running at ~1950 h/s for over a week, with core temp set to 70 (high ambient temp location).

On the other hand, I had 2 rigs in a different location where I could easily keep them at 50c core. One runs at ~1950 h/s. The other would start out that high, and then drop sometime thereafter - usually 15 mins to an hour later. Restarting the miner (and it didn't matter which one) would bring them back up to 1950, but again only for a short time.

The only way I could fix it was to reinstall Windows, so I'm guessing there's something else at play here. Or it may be the HBM temp causes the hash rate drop as well, and I got a batch that is less sensitive. But either way I think there's another cause.

I also think it's another issue. My two Vega 56s have their HBMs at 55 C and I also get that drop after 15 to an hour as well.
bytiges

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:01:13 PM

The drivers do a lot of mangling of whatever you put in the registry. They also take a license in modifying those values at will under certain conditions.

Could it be a different power limit / power target on those cards that causes different behavior in the driver ?
HansHagberg

Activity: 58
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:42:47 PM

I have some weird problems with Vega.
I had 3 of them running on a rig but couldn't get the blockchain driver working. I clean-installed everything and then the driver finally got detected by Cast-XMR.
However, power usage was through the roof and before I managed to get the powerplay mods installed, the PSU got overloaded and somehow damaged the setup when it shut down. Couldn't get the stuff running again but found no faulty components when trying them separately in other systems either...

So I moved the 3 amigos into another system and repeated the procedure. Started with 2 cards and this time, I applied powerplay. Now blockchain driver is recognized by Cast-XMR. Hashrate is around 1000 per card regardless of how much fiddling and toggling with devices or HBMC I try. Hashrate for DaggerHashimoto is a steady 44.1 so blockchain driver is definitely in use.

When I try dual mining, I get an instant hard crash no matter the settings with clocks and voltage.

When I connected the third card, the entire system bugged out and wouldn't even post. Had to tear out all GPUs and reset BIOS.
Hard to see what that has to do with the driver but I previously had all the cards running in this machine with newer drivers.

The question is why CAST-XMR gets such bad performance. I got better without the blockchain driver.

Blazin

Activity: 44

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:58:56 PM

I have some weird problems with Vega.
I had 3 of them running on a rig but couldn't get the blockchain driver working. I clean-installed everything and then the driver finally got detected by Cast-XMR.
However, power usage was through the roof and before I managed to get the powerplay mods installed, the PSU got overloaded and somehow damaged the setup when it shut down. Couldn't get the stuff running again but found no faulty components when trying them separately in other systems either...

So I moved the 3 amigos into another system and repeated the procedure. Started with 2 cards and this time, I applied powerplay. Now blockchain driver is recognized by Cast-XMR. Hashrate is around 1000 per card regardless of how much fiddling and toggling with devices or HBMC I try. Hashrate for DaggerHashimoto is a steady 44.1 so blockchain driver is definitely in use.

When I try dual mining, I get an instant hard crash no matter the settings with clocks and voltage.

When I connected the third card, the entire system bugged out and wouldn't even post. Had to tear out all GPUs and reset BIOS.
Hard to see what that has to do with the driver but I previously had all the cards running in this machine with newer drivers.

The question is why CAST-XMR gets such bad performance. I got better without the blockchain driver.

Personally, I could never get the PowerPlay modifications to work in the Windows registry. They always caused terrible hash rates on my Vega 64. (I think it is also because my Vega 64 does not overclock or undervolt well.) I ended up using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to remove my AMD blockchain drivers and all of the registry modifications.

After restarting my PC, I reinstalled the blockchain drivers. I did not apply any SoftPowerPlay modifications or use OverdriveNTool. In your case, HansHagberg, you probably should just disable crossfire and avoid any other registry modifications. R0mi mentioned how to disable crossfire in post #302 above.

I enabled HBCC and set the slider to the max 16GB my system had available. I experimented a little with grandalph3000's (a.k.a. glph3k) recommended settings in Wattman. For my Vega 64, setting the core clock to -10.5%, setting the memory clock to 1025 MHz, and setting the power level to -15% was the best option. (-20% power or lower made my system crash.) Those settings got my Vega 64 to 1900 H/s in CastXMR.

I hope it helps, HansHagberg! Smiley
l1xx

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:23:51 AM

so, is it worth to waste the time to set it up on the flawlessly working 6 Vega 64 XMR-STAK rig ? The only real improvement I see while running it on 1 Vega test rig are the temps in the console (which I definitely like a lot tbh ).
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:32:28 AM

so, is it worth to waste the time to set it up on the flawlessly working 6 Vega 64 XMR-STAK rig ? The only real improvement I see while running it on 1 Vega test rig are the temps in the console (which I definitely like a lot tbh ).

I've been enjoying Cast's nicehash support these last few days. The premium there lately over straight xmr mining has been well worth it.
ronnieb

Activity: 198
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:12:20 AM

I've been enjoying Cast's nicehash support these last few days. The premium there lately over straight xmr mining has been well worth it.

What's your configuration like?
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:23:00 AM

theres no special configuration, just point your rig at nicehash servers and it'll work.  Only problem with nicehash is the difficulty but over time its all good.
tf2addict

Activity: 675

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:08:35 AM

NiceHash has been killing it since Thursday/Friday last week.  Profit was starting to drop over the weekend but it's picking up again.  I hope it stays like this for weeks and months.

I still don't understand why this is happening, are people overpaying on their mining orders through NiceHash?
ronnieb

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:15:13 AM

NiceHash has been killing it since Thursday/Friday last week.  Profit was starting to drop over the weekend but it's picking up again.  I hope it stays like this for weeks and months.

I still don't understand why this is happening, are people overpaying on their mining orders through NiceHash?

I was wondering why their profitability calc was so off compared to others.....
ronnieb

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:50:37 AM

theres no special configuration, just point your rig at nicehash servers and it'll work.  Only problem with nicehash is the difficulty but over time its all good.

nicehash is weird for me, do you still keep your monero address in the config or the btc address they pay you out with?
Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 06:39:26 AM

Hello dev., would it be possible to add function for automatic restart of program, when the someone of the cards showing constatly 0h/s? Or even soft restart the PC? Because sometimes happend that one card hang and than you will receive that all shares are constatly refusing by the pool.
Thx
Michael20

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:01:52 AM

Would be nice! And if automatic restart, gpu should be deactived and activated to become complete hash rate.
Hello dev., would it be possible to add function for automatic restart of program, when the someone of the cards showing constatly 0h/s? Or even soft restart the PC? Because sometimes happend that one card hang and than you will receive that all shares are constatly refusing by the pool.
Thx
VaynardW

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:13:59 AM

nicehash is weird for me, do you still keep your monero address in the config or the btc address they pay you out with?

Just use the btc address with the worker name separated by a dot if needed,
What i dont like from nicehash is they closed the connection every 10 mins if your miner doesn't submit any share, and it takes time for the miner to reconnect (20 secs with cast XMR), although it only happen if your hashrate is low enough, this reconnect process sometimes hangs the card and you have to restart the miner manually
darkfriend77s

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:20:00 AM

Anyone good lucky in having more then 8 Vegas ... running with Cast XMR?

I'm unsure if I should try to switch for new rigs to the Asrock H110

Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:39:25 AM

Anyone good lucky in having more then 8 Vegas ... running with Cast XMR?

I'm unsure if I should try to switch for new rigs to the Asrock H110

Hi,
it's imposible with blockchain driver because of 8 gpus limitation. Only new drivers from amd allowed you to use up to 12gpus. But they are still not have compute option for vegas.
I have asrock H110 pro btc+ and that is not a good mobo. I am was unable to run more than 9x vegas, with the 10x vegas the mobo not even start to booting. And they are not release new bios. There is only one bios from the day when they are release this board.
It was a mistake to bought this mobo. I am always stick with the asus so I am regret this.
I think that new asus mining expert will be much more better than asrock. 
darkfriend77s

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:47:15 AM

Hi,
it's imposible with blockchain driver because of 8 gpus limitation. Only new drivers from amd allowed you to use up to 12gpus. But they are still not have compute option for vegas.
I have asrock H110 pro btc+ and that is not a good mobo. I am was unable to run more than 9x vegas, with the 10x vegas the mobo not even start to booting. And they are not release new bios. There is only one bios from the day when they are release this board.
It was a mistake to bought this mobo. I am always stick with the asus so I am regret this.
I think that new asus mining expert will be much more better than asrock. 

thx a lot for this information ... so for now as we are chained to the blockchain driver with Cast XMR we only can profit from 8 gpu's per mainboard ...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 155 »
  Print  

Jump to: