Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:08:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
lodcrappo

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 12:39:38 AM

The imminent v0.5 release has support for wireless via the GUI, though it makes me a little more dead inside every time I think about it.

LOL...you should be hanging your head in shame  Tongue All you GUI fans will find the new release much easier to use.

As a last act of desperation, I changed the popup help on the GUI menu items to scold and shame you for using them at all.

It won't help.  GUI people don't read the words on the screen.

anyway... 0.5 is out, and its fully stocked with gui nonsene.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65915

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 08:13:24 AM

so is this going to get some updates and/or support?

This OS is haunted as far as i am concerned. i can sometimes load it with ease and other times can't get past a blank screen with an underscore in the upper left hand corner.

I got a rig working today, had to add some fans and then went to reboot and nothing. Plenty of PSU power, etc. just wouldn't work.

i can't even get f'in BAMT to load so f that. i get to the boot screen and then a bunch of shit passes the screen and then black screen. Easy my ass. linuxcoin loaded easier for me the first time I used it.

Maybe BAMT is easy once it boots, but nothing is easy when it won't boot. I also see it's a little bitch with certain hardware. that just sucks, should work with everything.

people can bitch about windows, but at least it works.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 05:46:11 PM

This OS is haunted as far as i am concerned. i can sometimes load it with ease and other times can't get past a blank screen with an underscore in the upper left hand corner.

I got a rig working today, had to add some fans and then went to reboot and nothing. Plenty of PSU power, etc. just wouldn't work.

i can't even get f'in BAMT to load so f that. i get to the boot screen and then a bunch of shit passes the screen and then black screen. Easy my ass. linuxcoin loaded easier for me the first time I used it.

Maybe BAMT is easy once it boots, but nothing is easy when it won't boot. I also see it's a little bitch with certain hardware. that just sucks, should work with everything.

Sometimes motherboards are weird about booting to certain USB ports.  My windows gaming rig never boots when I plug a USB to the front.  It makes no sense to me, but I can use the same drive in other USB ports and other machines and it works fine.

m3ta

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 06:34:36 PM

people can bitch about windows, but if you're too dumb to do anything in *nix, then you have to live with your limitations and pretend that random blue screens are better than evolving to something more stable.

Fixed it for you.

Why the frell so many retards spell "ect" as an abbreviation of "Et Cetera"? "ETC", DAMMIT! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera

Host:/# rm -rf /var/forum/trolls
lodcrappo

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 10:47:45 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2012, 11:46:32 PM by lodcrappo

Why should BAMT (or Linuxcoin , or any OSS) work with everything?   Do you want your money back?  Oh.. thats right... you are pissed that something offered for free doesn't match your situation.  What an bunch of assholes the BAMT team must be, to give away a product that gives 95% of the machines in the world an awesome, easy way to mine.

Here's the real deal..  nobody cares if bamt works for you.   If you want to use it, find the problem on your hardware, fix it, and submit the fix to me.  I will include it in the next version.  If you can't or won't do that.. be gone.

edit -
This response is probably too harsh.  Apologies for that. People with the attitude that open source should be provided to them just piss me off.  OSS owes you nothing, if you can't understand or be OK with that concept, please just don't use it.  If you want to use some OSS but it doesn't work for your system, it is your obligation to make it work, not the creators.  This might mean simply submitting a useful bug report.  It might mean doing some troubleshooting.  It might mean doing some programming, or supporting someone who can code if you cannot.  In all cases, it is your responsibility to make it work for yourself.

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:28:55 PM

You appear to be the type of person that needs to stay far far away from anything linux related.  Go back to your windows.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:43:30 PM

If it works on some and not others, maybe you should fix the rigs that don't work - right after you fix your attitude!
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 12:33:24 AM

Any word on getting this open sourced?  I guess BAMT is a more capable substitute, but linuxcoin source would be nice to have.

lodcrappo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 12:59:22 AM

Any word on getting this open sourced?  I guess BAMT is a more capable substitute, but linuxcoin source would be nice to have.

What part of LinuxCoin is not open source?  Last version I used was all open source stuff, as far as I noticed.

BTW - BAMT is definitely not a substitute for LinuxCoin.  BAMT is only for dedicated mining rigs, nothing else.  It doesn't provide any of the applications and user desktop type stuff that LinuxCoin does.  They are really two different things... LinuxCoin being a full desktop system with lots of bitcoin user tools, BAMT being a tool for miners only.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 01:19:18 AM

Any word on getting this open sourced?  I guess BAMT is a more capable substitute, but linuxcoin source would be nice to have.

What part of LinuxCoin is not open source?  Last version I used was all open source stuff, as far as I noticed.
LinuxCoin uses open source, but the source to build a custom LinuxCoin iso/img is not available.  That is what I want.

The author said he would if there was interest, but then hasn't been back to the forums.

Hey guys !!

Been off the radar for a while dealing with real life. Was thinking about reopening this project for something to ease myself back into things. Anyone interested ? Cheesy Was going to leave the mining stuff to someone else and start with a fresh platform and all source made public.

If anyone's interested in getting involved PM me and get involved. Even if it's maintaining a few packages it would make the dev of this project more pleasurable lol !!

lodcrappo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:23:31 AM

What part of LinuxCoin is not open source?  Last version I used was all open source stuff, as far as I noticed.
Do you have access to the live-build files?  That's what I want.

LinuxCoin uses open source, but the source to build a custom LinuxCoin iso/img is not available.  That is what I want.

ah ok.  No sorry I don't have access to the live build config that generates lc.

OTOH, I would think if someone wanted to create an image very much like LinuxCoin from scratch, it would be a fairly simple process.
There is nothing stopping someone from just taking the package list from linuxcoin, i.e. dpkg --list, and using that as the packagelist to live build.
There would be a few other things not in apt, but not a big deal.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 01:30:32 AM

Do you have access to the live-build files?  That's what I want.

LinuxCoin uses open source, but the source to build a custom LinuxCoin iso/img is not available.  That is what I want.

ah ok.  No sorry I don't have access to the live build config that generates lc.

OTOH, I would think if someone wanted to create an image very much like LinuxCoin from scratch, it would be a fairly simple process.
There is nothing stopping someone from just taking the package list from linuxcoin, i.e. dpkg --list, and using that as the packagelist to live build.
There would be a few other things not in apt, but not a big deal.

I know it isn't hard, but it's already been done.  Why duplicate his work? I've played around with BitSafe's live-build and its actually really easy to add things, so that's what I'm hoping for from LinuxCoin.

lodcrappo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:33:21 AM

I know it isn't hard, but it's already been done.  Why duplicate his work?

because, as you say, it isn't hard and its standing in between you and something you seem to want.

the way I see it, if whatever you were planning to do once/if the scripts for making linuxcoin were made public is not worth making the effort to just make your own 'linuxcoin inspired' image right now... well its probably not that important.
jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:57:11 AM

My intent wasn't to piss on BAMT or linuxcoin, onbviiously i did. just 5 days now trying to get one or the other to work.

My issue is people saying it's "easy" well that's pure bullshit unless you have a lucky combo of hardware or really don't want to mine past 4 gpus.

It's also "easy" when you have a linux background. Most of us don't and if people want bitcoin to truly succeed past this speculative enthusiast phase, we have to get beyond expecting people to become programmers and linux experts.

Now having said that, my comments were out of line due to frustration. I just can't fucking understand why linuxcoin works fine on 6 rigs, but not two. That's just crazy to me.

I don't know shet about BAMT, but from what I see on the install instructions you need a special iso image loader and also need to add special libraries and stuff to your windows machine, that is just not "easy" for your average windows user.

I've had plenty of help and will just shut the fuck up about complaining about people doing open source work.

I will assure all of you though this thing is NEVER going mainstream unless you make it easy for people with basic computer backgrounds to use, mine and exchange bitcoins in a windows or apple environment without special tweaks, codes or files.

I am not an idiot and have built plenty of machines from basic office to over-clocked water-cooled systems. I own three businesses and am halfway through an MBA. If this is driving me insane you can bet that 99% of the population doesn't stand a chance.

If bitcoin gets back into the $20-$30 range the network will be hacked because there will be too much money involved for it to NOT entice someone to do so. If you don't think there are botnet people out there who control millions of machines plus have access to large amounts of gpu hashing power, you are naive. $200 million dollars is enough to entice most people to do anything, especially those with bad intentions.

This network needs at least twice as many tera hash to survive.

We also need more comprehensive databases to show complete hardware set-ups and their compatibility with specific mining clients/OS systems .

lodcrappo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:00:43 AM

I don't know shet about BAMT, but from what I see on the install instructions you need a special iso image loader and also need to add special libraries and stuff to your windows machine, that is just not "easy" for your average windows user.

I'm not sure how you got that impression.  There is no "special iso loader".  There is nothing to install on a windows machine.

You download the image and write it to a key.  That's it.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:09:47 AM

Um the special loader is a GUI app that you click on thumb drive, select image and hit the ultra complicated WRITE button.

As far as special libraries and stuff for windows I don't have a clue what you are talking about (and neither do you). You don't need anything except:
a) idiot proof image writer (has all of 4 buttons)
b) img file which is written to the usb drive.
c) $5 thumbdrive 2GB or more.

I will assure all of you though this thing is NEVER going mainstream unless you make it easy for people with basic computer backgrounds to use, mine and exchange bitcoins in a windows or apple environment without special tweaks, codes or files.

Why would mining go mainstream?  Over time efficiencies will force marginal miners (in terms of skill, electrical power, access to capital, and most efficient hardware) out.  It is no different than any other commodity based business.  Mining will become more and more specialized not less specialized.

I am not an idiot and have built plenty of machines from basic office to over-clocked water-cooled systems. I own three businesses and am halfway through an MBA. If this is driving me insane you can bet that 99% of the population doesn't stand a chance.

99% of the population shouldn't ever mine.  99% of population can't configure a webserver but that doesn't mean they can't use facebook.  99% of population can't build a credit card processing terminal from scratch but doesn't mean they can't "charge it".  Within a couple years FPGAs will make GPU obsolete.  Within a few years after that even an FPGA will be insufficient as everyone will have one.  You will need low cost power, cool temps, and latest generation FPGA.  The network will always strive for more and more efficient systems.

If bitcoin gets back into the $20-$30 range the network will be hacked because there will be too much money involved for it to NOT entice someone to do so. If you don't think there are botnet people out there who control millions of machines plus have access to large amounts of gpu hashing power, you are naive. $200 million dollars is enough to entice most people to do anything, especially those with bad intentions.

Even if that were true the network doesn't need YOU to mine.  If there is profit those who can will mine.  If it is profitable for profitable miners to deploy another TH/s or 20 TH/s they will and if it isn't profitable then "ease of use" isn't going to magically make profits out of losses.

Also what makes you think botnets are bad for the network and most botnet zombies don't have high end GPUs.  As FPGA force GPUs out botnets will become even more marginal.

This network needs at least twice as many tera hash to survive.

LOLZ.  The network could be half as large and be more than strong enough given the level of economic activity.

We also need more comprehensive databases to show complete hardware set-ups and their compatibility with specific mining clients/OS systems .
Mining is a zero sum game.  The network is 9TH/s right now because current economics support 9TH/s.  Making it easier for noobs won't make the network stronger, it will just push out other miners.
jjshabadoo

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:27:38 PM

Points taken, I'll shut up. I think my issue is with the asus P8p67 motherboard. I have limited problems getting MSI 890FXA-GD70's to work. I have over 6 GH/s going on three of those and another 5.5 GH/s at my friend's house. all 5970's and 5870's.

My frustration should not have boiled over to this forum or the community.

I apologize and should have known better, it's like firing off an angry email.

Again apologies to those who read my bullshit posts, I have received plenty of help here and people deserve better treatment.

Sincerely,

jjshabadoo
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 06:39:17 PM

If anyone is interested, I've been working on a headless mining variant of this that uses p2pool.  It is still in early testing, but it offers some nifty features.

p2pcoin

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 01:08:06 AM

Is there no one developing Linuxcoin further?
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 01:44:05 AM

Is there no one developing Linuxcoin further?
Correct.  The original author said he would share the source if someone wanted to continue the project, but he hasn't followed up on that.

Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: