Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:36:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 [342] 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:26:08 AM

i guess if you know how to price your fee properly and your using updated software, then yes.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 01:35:28 AM

i guess if you know how to price your fee properly and your using updated software, then yes.
I didnt know it was that bad.  I though with old software you just have to wait for 30 confirmations when receiving BTC. 

The transfers with min fee are not going through at all?

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:48:17 AM

I didnt know it was that bad.  I though with old software you just have to wait for 30 confirmations when receiving BTC. 

The transfers with min fee are not going through at all?

there's 2 issues - someone might be doing a "stress test" again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3cc7gr/please_stop_why_so_many_stress_tests/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3cb94d/another_stress_test_right_now/

etc.

and the SPV mining screwing up the blockchain. The SPV mining is what the "wait 30 confirmations" is all about - that way your transaction is sure to be secure. Minimum fee transfers are getting borked by these "stress tests"

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:49:25 AM

also, 30 confirmations? Thats 5 hours! Is bitcoin eventually going to slow to the crawl of conventional banking?

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 01:51:15 AM

also, 30 confirmations? Thats 5 hours! Is bitcoin eventually going to slow to the crawl of conventional banking?

That is only if you are running the old software from what I understand.

kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:18:30 AM

I speculate that a reason that monero isn't enjoying a climb right now is because of the lack of fiat -> xmr exchanges.

This recent bitcoin fork + the blocksize debate + these spamming attacks means that anyone entering the bitcoin system from fiat is not experiencing a fully functioning cryptocurrency. Perhaps they are testing a purchase, seeing it sputter, and then buying litecoin instead... because that blockchain is working right now. Indeed, I'm flummoxed by this rise of bitcoin price while all this crap is going on. Clearly, its new money coming in that doesn't really pay attention to whats happening.

for instance, if I wanted to buy monero right now, I'd have to find a way through litecoin to get to an exchange. The fiat -> bitcoin onramp to cryptocurrency is currently under construction.

Yes, the coins rallying right now are the 1st gen BTC-clones in established exchanges like BTC-e, Monero is being excluded of these markets, I believe fiat exchanges will greatly improve XMR economy health.

Looks like you don't even know the difference between a clone and a fork.

Tenebrix has 5 minute blocks, LTC has 2.5.  Just like XMR halved BCN's block time when it forked.

All I did was point out LTC is no more of a BTC (or Tenebrix, if you are a try-hard pedant) clone than XMR is a BCN clone.

If that's "defending" LTC, well...sorry to interrupt your anti-LTC Two Minutes Hate.

I know it's hard watching LTC moon while XMR slumps, but there's no need to be all bitchy and jelly.

BTW, Tacotime and I were tweaking GPUs to mine LTC years ago.  Where you there too?  PM old handle or GTFO noob!   Wink

I don't hate LTC, I know stating how useless it is makes me sound like I'm a hater or jelly but I don't care, it was useless compared to BTC at 0.007 and still useless at 0.02. Most cryptonote coins beats LTC any day in my book.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:54:39 AM

I don't hate LTC, I know stating how useless it is makes me sound like I'm a hater or jelly but I don't care, it was useless compared to BTC at 0.007 and still useless at 0.02. Most cryptonote coins beats LTC any day in my book.

I don't think that it has to do with hate, or direct/indirect usability compare of any alt to the other(s). I think it's about maturity. LTC has had its time for quite a long time now. It has fast transactions (compared to BTC), high volume, relatively easier to buy and distribute vs the XMR. OTOH, XMR is superior tech-wise, but that doesn't render LTC useless. Plus the fact that every single exchange out there supports it! So there you have it. Maturity is something we have to wait to happen with XMR. After that happens, it will reach its righteous place.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:28:26 AM

And when it comes to maturity, one might argue LTC is much more mature than XMR whch it is currently. Even so that there is no need for further development anymore.
However, in the very long run, let's say - after 10 years, the difference between Monero's and LTC*s maturity is insignificiant.
I guess in currency the maturity is considered better than the most new tech (fiat money was improvement to gold standard but still some gold bugs considered gold being better monetary system than much more stable fiat system).
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:01:26 AM

Am i the only one who thinks the rise may have more to do with the Mining Cartels who try to stay with the same long term profit after the LTC halving? Those are the people with a) the money and coins to make such a rise happen and also sit usually in the markets ( chinese ) where most of the things happen. It´s a too sharp rise on LTC IMO for just "new money". New money maybe also be a fuel to the rise as everyone is hoping to get rich quick again but i do not think it is the reason.
XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 11:40:36 AM

Am i the only one who thinks the rise may have more to do with the Mining Cartels who try to stay with the same long term profit after the LTC halving? Those are the people with a) the money and coins to make such a rise happen and also sit usually in the markets ( chinese ) where most of the things happen. It´s a too sharp rise on LTC IMO for just "new money". New money maybe also be a fuel to the rise as everyone is hoping to get rich quick again but i do not think it is the reason.

I doubt this because there is no reason to assume any temporary gains from such a pump could be sustained.

It would be easier for big miners to just switch coins from time to time based on profitability than attempt this type of manipulation.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 11:43:19 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2015, 02:37:37 PM by GingerAle

I doubt this because there is no reason to assume any temporary gains from such a pump could be sustained.

It would be easier for big miners to just switch coins from time to time based on profitability than attempt this type of manipulation.

And if they did, you'd think they'd do it smartly with friggin bots to spread the climb over months instead of days.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 12:35:54 PM

I don't think that it has to do with hate, or direct/indirect usability compare of any alt to the other(s). I think it's about maturity. LTC has had its time for quite a long time now. It has fast transactions (compared to BTC), high volume, relatively easier to buy and distribute vs the XMR. OTOH, XMR is superior tech-wise, but that doesn't render LTC useless. Plus the fact that every single exchange out there supports it! So there you have it. Maturity is something we have to wait to happen with XMR. After that happens, it will reach its righteous place.

Kazuki49 sounds like a jelly hater with an inferiority complex when he, in contradiction to the market and my 'best hedge' analysis, emphasizes LTC's supposed uselessness, while ignoring the reality that XMR/CN have (at present) even less utility.

You can't usefully compare a one year old baby with a four year old.  The former just cries and poops, while the latter can walk, talk, and use the Amazon Fire stick to stream Simpsons and Gravity Falls (cartoons that old Uncle iCEBREAKER also enjoys).

I've actually bought stuff with LTC.  I've yet to do the same with XMR.  That's partly because of remorse from selling too early/cheap, but still...   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 12:59:01 PM

Kazuki49 sounds like a jelly hater with an inferiority complex when he, in contradiction to the market and my 'best hedge' analysis, emphasizes LTC's supposed uselessness, while ignoring the reality that XMR/CN have (at present) even less utility.

You can't usefully compare a one year old baby with a four year old.  The former just cries and poops, while the latter can walk, talk, and use the Amazon Fire stick to stream Simpsons and Gravity Falls (cartoons that old Uncle iCEBREAKER also enjoys).

I've actually bought stuff with LTC.  I've yet to do the same with XMR.  That's partly because of remorse from selling too early/cheap, but still...   Cheesy

xmr.to works well to buy things from anyone that takes btc
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 02:04:42 PM

Sure, if I wanted to part with any of my precious XMR.  But I don't.    Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 02:25:11 PM

Yes but you were using the example that you bought things with ltc and not XMR to illustrate the usefulness of ltc compared to XMR. Tongue

sdmathis

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:01:54 PM

If you don't spend it, what use is it? It doesn't matter if it's anonymous. It doesn't matter if it becomes more valuable. All it does is takes up space on your hard drive if you don't use it..

It's supposed to be a currency. Use it as a currency or it will die.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:05:56 PM

If you don't spend it, what use is it? It doesn't matter if it's anonymous. It doesn't matter if it becomes more valuable. All it does is takes up space on your hard drive if you don't use it..

All you have to do in order to prevent it from dying is bid on it. If a sufficient number of people bid a sufficient amount for it at a reasonable price than it will stay alive indefinitely.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:13:45 PM

To me Monero is currently like a pinball game: I hit buy-button when it is down and I hit the sell-button when the price is up.
This is much fun for me.  Grin
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:53:09 PM

To me Monero is currently like a pinball game: I hit buy-button when it is down and I hit the sell-button when the price is up.
This is much fun for me.  Grin

So you're buying?
sdmathis

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:57:32 PM

All you have to do in order to prevent it from dying is bid on it. If a sufficient number of people bid a sufficient amount for it at a reasonable price than it will stay alive indefinitely.

This is not a pyramid scheme. It's a currency and is meant to be bought, sold, and used. You just can't buy, buy, and buy because eventually the buying will stop.

Pages: « 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 [342] 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: