Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:55:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 12:01:18 AM

i still dont know the truth, i think only a few know. if its really possible to have a real functioning RSSC without telling what goes in an out? how will it be secured? how pegged if at all? so many questions, i better just stay with monero Grin

I've not seen where it is possible to have a pegged sidechain (of any kind) that is sound, secure, and decentralized. It looks like voodoo economics to me. Sure the cryptography works, I'm convinced of that, but as an economic system, I'm not convinced at all.

But in any case the same cryptography can be used to create sidechains of Monero and even make the Bitcoin main chain a sidechain of Monero, and these will work or not work to exactly the same extent that Bitcoin's sidechains do. I don't really see where it changes much of anything in terms of people wanting to speculate on different assets or bundles of assets.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:22:55 AM

Just wanted to post and tell that I don't see anything happening in Monerosphere. Once we get one serious buyer (and I still have many in the pipeline, and some small ones are accumulating as we speak), then there will be price action.

As long as the whole world does not provide one person interested in a private cryptocurrency, well, then we'll have to languish at the current levels  Cheesy

Let it drop before the pump.  Grin
I (and I assume many others, too) want some cheap coinz.

What is "cheap" for you ?

It is always lower than the spot price.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:29:44 AM

LTC:USD has nearly tripled in anticipation of the block reward halving 50+ days from now. As a currency, it has zero actual use. Doesn't make much sense to me. The crash will be amusing but I won't pretend that I can time it. The market can stay irrational far longer than I can stay solvent. XMR:BTC went from .001x to .004x. BTC:USD went from 100s to $1000 and fell to a stable value in the $200s.

Clearly cryptocurrencies can overshoot their stable values by 2x or 4x or 20x. And you don't know which it's going to be until it's over.

Litecoin is a "noob trap" or "alternates for noobs".  People brand new to cryptocurrency will load up coinmarketcap or a similar website, and they see Litecoin at #2 / #3 and see it is virtually identical to Bitcoin, so they figure a higher capitalization & volume than rest of the alternates indicates it is a better investment.  This is why Litecoin has consistently always been able to go through pump and dumps.  It's a great short term investment but long term...

They could not be more wrong.  As your post suggested - no one wants to be holding Litecoin the day when a serious alternate rivals Bitcoin.  Right now no alternates really rival Bitcoin, beyond cheap clones like Litecoin and Doge, but that will change when one of the serious alternates develops products and services people need.  Bitcoin itself is only 100,000 users after 6 years.  You just need the one decent product and you will get more users than Bitcoin and the day that happens no one wants to be holding a hot potato like Litecoin.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:11:09 AM

LTC:USD has nearly tripled in anticipation of the block reward halving 50+ days from now. As a currency, it has zero actual use. Doesn't make much sense to me. The crash will be amusing but I won't pretend that I can time it. The market can stay irrational far longer than I can stay solvent. XMR:BTC went from .001x to .004x. BTC:USD went from 100s to $1000 and fell to a stable value in the $200s.

Clearly cryptocurrencies can overshoot their stable values by 2x or 4x or 20x. And you don't know which it's going to be until it's over.

Litecoin is a "noob trap" or "alternates for noobs".  People brand new to cryptocurrency will load up coinmarketcap or a similar website, and they see Litecoin at #2 / #3 and see it is virtually identical to Bitcoin, so they figure a higher capitalization & volume than rest of the alternates indicates it is a better investment.  This is why Litecoin has consistently always been able to go through pump and dumps.  It's a great short term investment but long term...

They could not be more wrong.  As your post suggested - no one wants to be holding Litecoin the day when a serious alternate rivals Bitcoin.  Right now no alternates really rival Bitcoin, beyond cheap clones like Litecoin and Doge, but that will change when one of the serious alternates develops products and services people need.  Bitcoin itself is only 100,000 users after 6 years.  You just need the one decent product and you will get more users than Bitcoin and the day that happens no one wants to be holding a hot potato like Litecoin.

I think that most people using LTC as a fast "vessel" towards moving funds from one place to another. Generally speaking, the transactions with BTCs are a lot slower than those with LTCs. That may explain the prior pumps every time BTC is on the move. If you check historical data you will see that most of the times it was LTC (sometimes PPC & NMC also) that first moved, with BTC following. I *think* there was a text that presented this fact back in 2013, but I cannot really remember if it was an actual post here or an article on some crypto-coin site.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
AnonCoinTwitter

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:48:41 AM

Lack of ANC github activity has caused me to lose hope of any Zerocoin implementation. CryptoNote exists, the future is now. #XMR #BBR

Tweeted to 1000+ followers

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:57:08 AM

Don't sell your coins to early when a bubble happens, just look at the % gains LTC made in 2013.

It is the "sticky price" phenomenon that has previously manifested itself in "trading ranges". When the price or exchange rate is relatively steady for a longer time (let's say 2 months), the market participants start to "enforce" it in their trades, refusing to buy higher or sell lower.

With BTC, we had the original electricity cost era of <$0.01, then the $1 before the bubble in 2011, the next one was at $5 and then about $10 later in 2012, then some at $120 in 2013, and now $220ish. Each time the price held its ground a "long" time after fundamentals already warranted a rise, and when the rise finally began, it often overshoot.

The trading range I originally prescribed to Monero in May 2014, was BTC0.002-0.004. The prediction was not bad at all, if you look at the reality during the year. Now we are at the lower end of the range, with a project that is still alive with all the major contributors.

Trading ranges with sticky prices tend to make people incredibly myopic - they start to seriously regard 0.0017 as cheap and 0.0023 as expensive. The logarithmic nature of price increase is all but forgotten, until it happens, taking all by surprise.

Both 0.0017, 0.0023, 0.01 and even 0.1 are cheap if Monero makes it. (If it does not, there is no difference how many monero you have in your bag which is worth $0 anyway.)

Yes it is summer and the mood in the markets is according. I don't forecast a quick rise in price before new money comes. There are some signs of price stickiness around Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:15:20 AM

Don't sell your coins to early when a bubble happens, just look at the % gains LTC made in 2013.

It is the "sticky price" phenomenon that has previously manifested itself in "trading ranges". When the price or exchange rate is relatively steady for a longer time (let's say 2 months), the market participants start to "enforce" it in their trades, refusing to buy higher or sell lower.

With BTC, we had the original electricity cost era of <$0.01, then the $1 before the bubble in 2011, the next one was at $5 and then about $10 later in 2012, then some at $120 in 2013, and now $220ish. Each time the price held its ground a "long" time after fundamentals already warranted a rise, and when the rise finally began, it often overshoot.

The trading range I originally prescribed to Monero in May 2014, was BTC0.002-0.004. The prediction was not bad at all, if you look at the reality during the year. Now we are at the lower end of the range, with a project that is still alive with all the major contributors.

Trading ranges with sticky prices tend to make people incredibly myopic - they start to seriously regard 0.0017 as cheap and 0.0023 as expensive. The logarithmic nature of price increase is all but forgotten, until it happens, taking all by surprise.

Both 0.0017, 0.0023, 0.01 and even 0.1 are cheap if Monero makes it. (If it does not, there is no difference how many monero you have in your bag which is worth $0 anyway.)

Yes it is summer and the mood in the markets is according. I don't forecast a quick rise in price before new money comes. There are some signs of price stickiness around Wink

Definetely a good thing to have some kind of stickness.. However, I am not so certain yet that we couldn't go lower from the current price.
The previous stickness was 0.001-0.0012 area for a few months so chances are we might actually test those as well. I am not saying it will happen but there are some chances for it.
Fundamentally, the whales have quit accumulation and there is no new whales in the horizon. Also a whale may not want to buy coins at too high price but sell at high instead so most likely a whales prefer swimming in the deep dark waters.

I agree that if Monero makes it, the price of 0.1 btc is a bargain. After all, 0.1 btc is only 26 usd. and then the marketcap with current emission is 215 million usd. That's quite small for a currency.
AnonCoinTwitter

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:34:45 AM

This makes sense. Picking the right coins (that will fill a market need and survive) is infinitely more important than finding the right entry point. 99.9% of alt coins will eventually fail (I believe that) but those that succeed with eventually assume an appropriate money supply for the market they serve.

This is the reason why I care much more about development and innovation than price.

The chance of Monero failing is actually pretty high (this is not meant to be an insult).  I still really like it because the potential reward if it does succeed is so incredible. Cryptonote is the best tech that exists today. Of the cryptonote coins with a fair emission schedule, Monero is the leader in terms of community involvement and development of supporting services. 

Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:48:51 AM

This makes sense. Picking the right coins (that will fill a market need and survive) is infinitely more important than finding the right entry point. 99.9% of alt coins will eventually fail (I believe that) but those that succeed with eventually assume an appropriate money supply for the market they serve.

This is the reason why I care much more about development and innovation than price.

The chance of Monero failing is actually pretty high (this is not meant to be an insult).  I still really like it because the potential reward if it does succeed is so incredible. Cryptonote is the best tech that exists today. Of the cryptonote coins with a fair emission schedule, Monero is the leader in terms of community involvement and development of supporting services. 

Monero is THE altcoin other than bitcoin.
AnonCoinTwitter

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:02:57 AM

The chance of Monero failing is actually pretty high (this is not meant to be an insult).  I still really like it because the potential reward if it does succeed is so incredible. Cryptonote is the best tech that exists today. Of the cryptonote coins with a fair emission schedule, Monero is the leader in terms of community involvement and development of supporting services.  

I agree. It is now my favorite alt as well.

I am basically agreeing with some prior comments of rpietila. Something can have a less than 50% chance of success AND still be a GREAT investment on the basis of EV or expected ROI.

For a simple example if I thought ABC had a 90% chance of being worth zero (100% loss) in 3 years but a 10% chance of gaining 20,000% I would buy a lot of it.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:26:17 AM

The chance of Monero failing is actually pretty high (this is not meant to be an insult).  I still really like it because the potential reward if it does succeed is so incredible. Cryptonote is the best tech that exists today. Of the cryptonote coins with a fair emission schedule, Monero is the leader in terms of community involvement and development of supporting services.  

I am basically agreeing with some prior comments of rpietila. Something can have a less than 50% chance of success AND still be a GREAT investment on the basis of EV or expected ROI.

For a simple example if I thought ABC had a 90% chance of being worth zero (100% loss) in 3 years but a 10% chance of gaining 20,000% I would buy a lot of it.

You should be agreeing with Risto because Monero is Risto's coin.
I know some people may get offended about my statement but it is the truth largerly and sometimes truth hurts.  Wink
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:31:42 AM

You should be agreeing with Risto because Monero is Risto's coin.
I know some people may get offended about my statement but it is the truth largerly and sometimes truth hurts.  Wink

It's not the truth though.

It's like saying Bitcoin is Erik Voorhees' coin.
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:47:48 AM

Lack of ANC github activity has caused me to lose hope of any Zerocoin implementation. CryptoNote exists, the future is now. #XMR #BBR

Thanks for that tweet, I think you're right. Zerocoin is a great concept, but will not be a competitor for a long time.

Monero is here today and fully functioning (and active, and lively). It is currently (and will be for a long time) the main candidate for the anon-niche. 
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:51:33 AM

Bitcoins—a highly traceable digital currency

Bitcoin - a trojan horse with monero inside

Just let it past the gates and see what happens.

Just pitch it to bill gates and see what happens.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:12:01 AM

wasn't maxwell here because of that?

no seriously, it's sad those comments get burried so fast. but the real discussion about this was/is in the gold collapsing-bitcoin up thread anyway. monero was not mentioned too often, but everyone was thinking about it for sure Wink

i still dont know the truth, i think only a few know. if its really possible to have a real functioning RSSC without telling what goes in an out? how will it be secured? how pegged if at all? so many questions, i better just stay with monero Grin

if tptb_need_war makes an RS coin i will maybe buy some too

Glad to see the term "RSSC" catch on Tongue
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 11:27:20 AM

Welcome to Monero Mountain, home of the Wild & FreeTM mustangs!

May I suggest on-boarding your followers via fluffypony's excellent introduction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVm1dMn5Ks

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 11:57:02 AM

LTC does two things, and does them well.  Primarily, it acts as the main (IE high market cap/volume) hot-swappable backup/failover chain to BTC.  Secondly, as BTC load tend towards capacity, LTC's 4x more rapid blocks are thus the most natural place for overflow tx.  (LTC is also most suitable for cross-chain mixing, but that function is arguably subsumed by the previous points.)

LTC is DoneTM and now in maintenance mode, sparing it from Blocksize Missile Crisis type situations.  Doesn't hurt that it was made by the eminently respectable coblee and enjoys the 2nd highest degree of ASIC-facilitated network security either.

Something can have a less than 50% chance of success AND still be a GREAT investment on the basis of EV or expected ROI.

For the sake of consistency let's recognize the above quoted reasoning also applies to LTC, in a form amplified by its longer track record and greater network effects.

Eastwind's assertion is not verifiably true given objective market conditions.  It makes logical sense to us Mustangs, but let's not overly delude ourselves in the reprehensibly absurd manner of circle-jerking Dash cultists.  What's next, herding us off BTCT to a private mustangs-only echo chamber forum?   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
vgo
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:26:05 AM

More dumpity dump??   Roll Eyes
shitaifan2013
Legendary

Activity: 879

monero

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:58:09 AM

More dumpity dump??   Roll Eyes

not really.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 08:08:52 AM

The market psychology in my opinion has two alternatives now:

-It could build a base and a long-waited whale comes and brings the price higher
-It could make the bagholders bags heavier and therefore in order to encourage new buying from the bagholders, the price must adjust down.

Even holding the support level we need new buying taking place all the time not to mention to rise the price.
Pages: « 1 ... 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: