Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 170 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Tau-Chain and Agoras Official Thread: Generalized P2P Network  (Read 309532 times)
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 11:54:50 AM

indeed tau begins equal for all participants by definition, and agoras can be implemented over any good tau.
nice hearing that im just new hear and im reading more info about your project i just hope for the best dev. good luck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Counterfiat

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 12:07:24 PM

a working tauchain that is up to standard needed for Agora (according ot Ohad"s) will be used to implement it.

* he approved that particular post you have quoted in a conversation I made with him yesterday.

Sure, it is just you are coming across as saying that agoras WOULD be implemented on "classic" working Tau as we are a team, but that seems rather unrealistic to make such a representation at this point in time, as "being up to standard" and "good" is from Ohad's perspective... Your (manipulative? poor?) use of words might be seen as misguiding readers to an incorrect conclusion.

mr.coinzy

Activity: 500
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 02:36:53 PM

I think that Ohad is well articulated and capable of releasing statements on his own behalf (and on behalf of the project) and there is no need to speak for him beforehand (this is true to any participant who chooses to release statements regarding the project - something that should be given from the only relevant authority - Ohad).
In regard to what Ohad said, that he will implement Agoras on the best (or at least good enough) working Tau he will have in hand, that makes complete sense and is to the best interest of the Investors and the general crypto community as a whole. I have no doubt that he stands by his words and will make it happen to the best of his abilities (in which I trust completely). Regarding the subjectivity of the use of the phrasing "good enough" - I think that it is not completely subjective, as it has to solidly maintain very clear specifications as described in length thus far. In any given project ever created, the creators had to decide what is "good enough" to be considered as tools for building it, and what is "good enough" as a product for public release. After the fact, it could be discussed and argued upon by the users and other interested parties.
yuyu123

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:27:24 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2016, 11:27:10 PM by yuyu123

In the remote scenario in which the investors community will decides to build the “agoras” over TAU-MLTT and Ohad would not agree to cooperate, the agoras-MLTT development can raise funds by taking a snapshot of the blockchain from October 04, 2016, 11:13:01 PM GMT, issuing a new token, contains 42m units, distribute tokens to holders of “IDNI 58” of that date (except the issuer), and sell the rest of the tokens.

Even better option: Asking Ohad to stop the ICO for now, and wait few weeks after the release of TAU chain to start it again, for the next reasons:

Ohad declared in the past that the TAU chain development is not required a big amount of money, and that the funds raised now are for the "agoras" development. So there is enough money now to complete the TAU chain development.

There is no sense to continue to raise funds to “agoras” project, when it is not clear yet if the TAU chain will be released ever, what TAU chain will be released, and what will be its quality.

After the release of TAU chain, the tokens could be sold in much higher price, which can lead to better budget to the “agoras” development and possibly to better “agoras” final product.
ohad (OP)

Activity: 897
Merit: 1000

http://idni.org

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2016, 12:55:00 PM

answering the last comment by hmc, i'll try to shorten and focus in the main parts of the discussion and restructure it for the sake of clarity for the technical reader:

you mix decidability with consistency.

Not at all, and I stand by my statement.  If agda/coq/idris et al had the particular properties that you claim they do then there would be cases where you could trivially send them off into an infinite loop in type-check/termination-check.

this ensapculates two repeated misconceptions. the first one is "why agda/idris/coq" are useful, and from their logical properties point of view, it's thanks to their expressiveness and consistency. they are proof helpers, not fully automatic provers, and as such they're very useful tools even though they don't offer a complete logic, and the proofs generated by them (once found) can be trusted. it doesn't mean that they fit tau's environment.
in practice people use dependent types as for today, because higher order model checking using msol is a very new technique (couldn't begin before 2006) and highly active area of research (some of the interesting results are from this year 2016), and i was referring to the academic world looking for new methods rather deptypes, partially due to the problems i mentioned.

the second one is the repeated request (here and on irc dozens of times) of something that takes agda to infinite loop, while i explain time and again that i never claimed that they can be inflooped, but that some terminating programs must be rejected and there is no human/machine way to pass totality check for all terminating programs.

These tools, which are so easy and approachable that they've been compared to the interface of video games (quite an accomplishment for such a complex software) are somehow actually much less usable than they seem?

playing a video game is easy, but winning it is hard. indeed it's easy to write in agda/idris, but it's hard to pass the checks.

just getting from mltt to mltt+tfpl would require a possibly infinite procedure....
Someone should really let the agda/coq devs know... XD  I don't think that they're aware that they've been doing the impossible this whole time...

possibly infinite *human* procedure.

Sure, but this doesn't change the fact that this case of (semi/un/partial)-decidability is irrelevant, as it is an offline, user-interactive process and not a part of the network consensus process.

NO! that's one of your big mistakes. tau will need to detect cases of matching/breaking the rules without necessarily the user knowing about it! and that's what makes a nomic game sound. a context can set a rule, which is basically a type. such rule is set for future purposes, namely, terms that come after the rule is set will try to typecheck. but they will not necessarily typecheck out-of-the-box even if they're well-typed, as typecheck is undecidable, therefore sometimes restructuring the term/type will be required. (such restructuring may be beyond adding postulates, and is a manual process in agda/idris)

Your "complete and consistent" MSO is (necessarily) not computationally complete.  It is simply not possible to have a complete, consistent logic which is also computationally complete, as being computationally complete implies being able to express and reason over full arithmetic axioms.  Any logic which is both consistent and computationally complete will necessarily be incomplete.

it's easy to restrict a language into a terminating one (eg by primitive recursion) and keeping it computationally complete, as finite turing completeness can be achieved even with QBF which is not even arithmetic (far to mention MSOL), a fact that collapses your argument against msol.

no total language is computationally complete, as it can never interpret itself.

Double nonsense.  Self-interpretation is not a requirement for computational completeness.  Even if it were, your argument still doesn't stand up as total languages *can* self interpret (contrary to conventional wisdom) as established recently by Brown-Palsberg.  (Why you'd even make this claim is strange, since both Brown-Palsberg's self interpretation and Bauer's self interpreter for System T were discussed several times on the IRC....)

Note from stoopkid: "the conventional proof only says that there can be no total computable universal function for the total computable functions, and that any such universal function must be strictly partial, but that if a rewrite system is strongly normalizing then it necessarily cannot be this universal function, because a strongly normalizing rewrite system is equivalent to some total function, not any strictly partial function, and thus can't be a universal function for the total computable numbers, so the conventional diagonalization proof doesnt say anything about the expressibility of the total functions defining strongly normalizing rewrite systems in regards to whether or not they can be their own universal function which corresponds to not saying anything about the existence of self-interpreters in strongly normalizing rewrite systems."

total languages cannot self-interpret, and brown&palsberg is only a weak interpreter. this impossibility can easily be proved by diagonalization, eg here http://math.andrej.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/self-interpreter-for-T.pdf

Great, so go get to it.... it has actually been many (>6) months, now, since you originally decided MLTT isn't the way
no, only less than 2 months since i found out regarding mltt.

Of course it would be self-contradictory for you to claim that multiplication is possible in your hypothetical complete & consistent "somehow MSO-like but not really MSO" logic.  As you rightly elaborate in your blog post, this would contradict Godel.  If tau is to be built with a complete and consistent logic, then it will necessarily omit some portion of basic arithmetic - meaning there will be some math which it *cannot* do in its rules - meaning there will be some routing/topology rules which it *cannot* employ - meaning it will *not* meet the original goal of a fully general, decentralized network.  (This is inescapable without accepting an incomplete logic.)

no. not-being-arithmetic doesn't necessarily require to give up either mul or add, but can restrict certain quantifications, negations etc. while keeping both operations. one example is monotone multivariate polynomials.

If you don't know what a general product is, (and why GADTs are important for programming in a typed functional setting) or the difference between a product type and an intersection type, then you are certainly still a *long* way (another year or two, maybe?) from being ready to build a tau, using *any* logic.

Note from stoop: "you might explain why exactly MSO prevents the definability of the general product, even without appeal to godel; mso rules out quantification over functions of arity greater than 1,
Let's just ignore the fact that MSO predated MLTT by quite a bit, and is certainly well set in "the old ways" of the days of Frege and Quine...

these are two examples of a repeated misunderstanding of you, mixing msol with stlc+y. you can happily quantify higher order multi-parameter functions, as they're stlc+y creatures, which modern msol-over-trees speaks about. like taking mltt and adding it an msol meta-logic, but that'd be undecidable, so we restrict mltt in one hand to simple higher order types, and enrich it on the other hand with an unrestricted Y combinator whether safe or not (which implies non-normalizing terms of course, yet normalization is decidable via the mso metalogic). and this is (msol over stlc+y far from being strict subset of mltt) part of why you're all so wrong in your ""understanding"" of msol, as you wrote:
"you might also note that everybody on our team probably has a better understanding of MSO than he does at this point. since we understand it completely fully as just a specific and not very expressive subset of MLTT. and are seeing a more complete picture that illuminates exactly why MSO has the specific properties it does and how those actually relate to the rest of MLTT."

last:

just like human intuition works when it comes to formalism. and just like the vast majority of mathematicians in all eras hold.

Our intuition must certainly work differently.  That is OK.  "Agree to disagree" and all.

As to how the "vast majority" of intuitions work, I won't be so arrogant as to assume.... and I don't think that there's been anything like a census...  Feel free to show some statistics on the matter, however, if you know of such a poll!

look all over the mathematical history, when did people consider non-LEM Euclid geometry? i pick this specific example as it's the oldest fully-axiomatic theory (axiomatized by Euclid himself) that was never stopped to be studied and written about.

Tau-Chain & Agoras
ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2016, 06:59:33 PM

Some food for thought anyone computer systems are only as intelligent as those that programme it, they don't have emotions like humans so we are all fallable in that concept. I hope HMC isn't upset and I hope he continues to work on the project with Ohad. I think seperation in the community is not positive and I believe we can all come to some rational approach - in scope this is a bigger project and needs all of us.

dx5

Activity: 303
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 06:07:18 AM

Ohad, how are things going along in the project? I understand there are some fighting, but how are things moving along?
ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2016, 10:19:12 AM

Ohad, how are things going along in the project? I understand there are some fighting, but how are things moving along?

things moving good, i'm very close to begin coding some of the new logic, and i see extremely innovative methods offered in contemporary literature which will make tau even more useful (eg the "MSOL transfer theorem" which implies program/property synthesis, or expressibility of infinite terms), i also try to see if these new tools can enhance or improve the network's protocol (namely the nomic implementation). also some non-r&d activities and advancements eg probably today an interview of mine that was taken a month ago will be published. that's in short

Tau-Chain & Agoras
m4nki

Activity: 1039
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 10:58:49 AM

things moving good, i'm very close to begin coding some of the new logic, and i see extremely innovative methods offered in contemporary literature which will make tau even more useful (eg the "MSOL transfer theorem" which implies program/property synthesis, or expressibility of infinite terms), i also try to see if these new tools can enhance or improve the network's protocol (namely the nomic implementation). also some non-r&d activities and advancements eg probably today an interview of mine that was taken a month ago will be published. that's in short

Great to hear that! Smiley

Very excited!

MrWhiteBites

Activity: 770
Merit: 511

Im the One who Knocks.

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 04:18:57 PM

Very excited!

Fantastic! i hope someone can also help with the work load, dont burn out.

Keep up the great work!

If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly
Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 05:40:22 PM

Very excited!

Keep up the great work!

As MrWhiteBites mention don't burn out: You need maybe to hire some developers. It's extremely hard to do All by yourself.

googie4

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 08:36:14 PM

Very excited!

Keep up the great work!

As MrWhiteBites mention don't burn out: You need maybe to hire some developers. It's extremely hard to do All by yourself.

Reading the arguments, it sounds like Ohad has a very specific and knowledgeable idea of how everything works. In situations like that bringing others in can just get in the way.
Sam123

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 11:46:09 PM

Very excited!

Keep up the great work!

Reading the arguments, it sounds like Ohad has a very specific and knowledgeable idea of how everything works. In situations like that bringing others in can just get in the way.

Very hard to develop top class project with only one person.

ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2016, 10:09:53 AM

an interview taken a month ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWD6Ep4Cb2s

Tau-Chain & Agoras
1nfus1on

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 10:12:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching this thread from a far for a while now, coming back in and out, just to see how the project is going along. I remember tua being announced right after ethereum just finished its ICO. I didn't think much of it. Primarily because I didn't know if Ohad was qualified, which changed once i saw his linkedin profile. But, that again made me skeptical because he was just one person, and one person alone cannot complete a project in a "reasonable" time frame to get things moving in the pace crypto usually moves. With that said, I left behind my interests with tau.

Then, it wasn't until Tau appeared on cryptonews and some other ICO sites did I turn my interest back at the project and tried to understand what is being made here.
I can see that its a very different type of project and possibly an "ethereum like" chain of its own since its different to ethereum from a fundamental use basis.

Naturally as all of are aware, this project is a step in the direction of machine learning, and I see how this 'intelligent' autonomous software could perhaps write "smarter" definitive contracts than ethereum as a result of its decide-abilty, if I'm right, which Ohad is trying to build. Using a different type of programming language, namely RDF Languages, because these languages are not turning complete?. At this point I get really lost since I'm not a developer and I tried to read a bit here and there, without any much understanding.

However on the large scale I can see the bigger picture here, and what decideability means for "smarter" contracts when Ohad used the analogy of the Student and Law Professor, in one of his presentations.

The debate was concerned around these languages and the foundations around building this system. Most of the arguments from what I can grasp seems to suggest that no tools either exist or are properly equipped to handle what tau is trying to be. Which ofcourse then is a "highly" risky investment. It also seems like this project is very similar to DeepMind from Google which is already using multiple PC's to learn a solution to problems and these answers are shared in a cloud which other machines could use as truths and solutions to similar problems they might encounter. Kinda like the Skynet we are talking about here.

This then makes me think that any day google could use blockchains and this idea which Ohad has, and to create its own network for its DeepMind. Unless Ohad can beat them first.  
Perhaps, Ohad can look into the approaches used by DeepMind and again propose whether or not this project is different, and worth our time and money. Including Ohad's own time for himself.
I would love it if he is indeed the only person who can produce something of this nature, but I don't know that. And so I would like to know. Fundamentally, Google is a company operating for profits.
Blockchains are rather different, and so it is quite a worthy venture indeed. I doubt that DeepMind will be a freely available public AI tool, but it sure is more advanced and headed in the right direction. Using its established work and translating it into a blockchain network shouldn't be that complicated if they want to 'Plug it' into the chain, and use it to decide on smart contract outcomes on its own ethereum/tau like intelligent/smart contract chain.

Ohad, with respect, could you spend a little time to clarify the differences. And similarities. I understand it is a digression from normal activity, but I'm just looking at the 'larger' picture and outlook for the future.

Thanks Smiley

ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2016, 10:16:22 AM

an interview taken a month ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWD6Ep4Cb2s

Very good Ohad this is an excellent interview.

ohad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2016, 10:41:35 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching this thread from a far for a while now, coming back in and out, just to see how the project is going along. I remember tua being announced right after ethereum just finished its ICO. I didn't think much of it. Primarily because I didn't know if Ohad was qualified, which changed once i saw his linkedin profile. But, that again made me skeptical because he was just one person, and one person alone cannot complete a project in a "reasonable" time frame to get things moving in the pace crypto usually moves. With that said, I left behind my interests with tau.

Then, it wasn't until Tau appeared on cryptonews and some other ICO sites did I turn my interest back at the project and tried to understand what is being made here.
I can see that its a very different type of project and possibly an "ethereum like" chain of its own since its different to ethereum from a fundamental use basis.

Naturally as all of are aware, this project is a step in the direction of machine learning, and I see how this 'intelligent' autonomous software could perhaps write "smarter" definitive contracts than ethereum as a result of its decide-abilty, if I'm right, which Ohad is trying to build. Using a different type of programming language, namely RDF Languages, because these languages are not turning complete?. At this point I get really lost since I'm not a developer and I tried to read a bit here and there, without any much understanding.

However on the large scale I can see the bigger picture here, and what decideability means for "smarter" contracts when Ohad used the analogy of the Student and Law Professor, in one of his presentations.

The debate was concerned around these languages and the foundations around building this system. Most of the arguments from what I can grasp seems to suggest that no tools either exist or are properly equipped to handle what tau is trying to be. Which ofcourse then is a "highly" risky investment. It also seems like this project is very similar to DeepMind from Google which is already using multiple PC's to learn a solution to problems and these answers are shared in a cloud which other machines could use as truths and solutions to similar problems they might encounter. Kinda like the Skynet we are talking about here.

This then makes me think that any day google could use blockchains and this idea which Ohad has, and to create its own network for its DeepMind. Unless Ohad can beat them first.  
Perhaps, Ohad can look into the approaches used by DeepMind and again propose whether or not this project is different, and worth our time and money. Including Ohad's own time for himself.
I would love it if he is indeed the only person who can produce something of this nature, but I don't know that. And so I would like to know. Fundamentally, Google is a company operating for profits.
Blockchains are rather different, and so it is quite a worthy venture indeed. I doubt that DeepMind will be a freely available public AI tool, but it sure is more advanced and headed in the right direction. Using its established work and translating it into a blockchain network shouldn't be that complicated if they want to 'Plug it' into the chain, and use it to decide on smart contract outcomes on its own ethereum/tau like intelligent/smart contract chain.

Ohad, with respect, could you spend a little time to clarify the differences. And similarities. I understand it is a digression from normal activity, but I'm just looking at the 'larger' picture and outlook for the future.

Thanks Smiley

thanks, there's a fundamental difference between what tau is about and what a machine learning platform (eg deepmind) is about.

[machine] learning, is the process of being able to solve problems after being trained with pairs of question-answer instances. after training, the learner can hopefully answer questions. this is "learning by example". and this is what neural networks are about.
a whole different approach would be logic-based system, where answers are given from information and rules, either explicit or implicit. moreover, programming in general can be done using rules, while it'll be a very bad choice to do everyday programming using machine learning. but, leaners are still just programs, so a rule-based system can implement learners as well. tau is therefore much more general than deepmind et al.
a relevant link i found after short googling: http://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/4972/whats-the-difference-between-a-rule-based-system-and-an-artificial-neural-netwo

Tau-Chain & Agoras
ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2016, 10:48:16 AM

Make sure everyone retweets this:

https://twitter.com/TauChainOrg/status/785787333379403777

Thanks community!

kjn311

Activity: 319
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 05:25:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Smiley

thanks, there's a fundamental difference between what tau is about and what a machine learning platform (eg deepmind) is about.

[machine] learning, is the process of being able to solve problems after being trained with pairs of question-answer instances. after training, the learner can hopefully answer questions. this is "learning by example". and this is what neural networks are about.
a whole different approach would be logic-based system, where answers are given from information and rules, either explicit or implicit. moreover, programming in general can be done using rules, while it'll be a very bad choice to do everyday programming using machine learning. but, leaners are still just programs, so a rule-based system can implement learners as well. tau is therefore much more general than deepmind et al.
a relevant link i found after short googling: http://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/4972/whats-the-difference-between-a-rule-based-system-and-an-artificial-neural-netwo

How is Tau different than what IBM is doing with Watson? How is using block chain tech improving on what IBM has done in regards to machine learning?
googie4

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 10:13:09 PM

Very excited!

Keep up the great work!

Very hard to develop top class project with only one person.

Perhaps, but it sounds like he's done most of the work and it's only a  matter of time. Bringing others in can get in the way. But I'm just speculating, only Ohad knows his situation.
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 170 »
  Print  

Jump to: