Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:19:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack  (Read 136080 times)
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:06:34 PM

I have sent 15,000 BTC to an address provided by Patrick Murck.

He or one of his clients will later confirm the receipt of the funds and also the escrow/representation relationship.

The funds were sent to the Bitcoin address as requested: http://blockchain.info/address/1FqqBZnemCrcCDbz57Nk7LHLCN42hCHXEV.

Thank you Zhou for your cooperation.

I was asked by some of the creditors and interest holders in Bitcoinica, LP to broker this transaction. Steps are being taken to safely transfer the funds to Bitcoinica, LP so they may be distributed in a fair and expeditious manner to claimants.

Thank you,
Patrick Murck
Principal | Engage Legal PLLC

I'm just going to comment here to say "Yes, this really is our attorney at BitInstant, and he is a trustworthy guy".

Either Patrick, myself or Charlie will post here in public once the funds have been turned over to the appropriate entity, but for now they are in safe hands with a licensed attorney (Patrick) and any creditors should feel free to call up his firm at Engage Legal if they have any concerns.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:08:05 PM

Well as far as I'm concerned there's still zero evidence that thus Chen person even exists.    And now, just to add to the convenience, Zhou is refunding the USD from his own accounts.

Look, if in the future this mystery Chen person is actually arrested for this then I'll happily apologise to Zhou for doubting him, but as things stand now I find that extremely unlikely to happen.  

Is it possible that Zhou is telling the truth, sure, but from all the evidence presented thus far that just simply isn't the likely scenario I'm afraid.    

If all this fantastical stuff actually IS true then the way its gone down is extremely unfortunate for Zhou, as most of the evidence hes posting to exonerate himself just makes him look more guilty.

And I can't believe no-one has mentioned this yet, but even if I knew a multi-millionaire gangster was responsible I wouldn't put his name on a public forum.  Such a criminal wouldn't have a problem putting a hit on me or my family members.
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:28:34 PM

So, I have done a deal "for a friend" on AurumXchange using my own account.

And I have also done a deal "for a friend" on QQ using a friend's account?

Both happened before I had any clue of the investigation.

I did the deals, but all in much larger amounts with my own account.

So, this deal you did with a "friend's" account just happens to be the same account as "the hacker" created? I'm sorry, but that explanation can't even begin to satisfy your own quest for consonance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance#The_Belief_Disconfirmation_Paradigm

defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:31:45 PM

Anyone using that as a postulate in a theorem clearly doesn't actually 'get' Occam's Razor.

Or uses the popular version. I could've stated that in science the hypothesis requiring the least amount of free variables is likely to be correct, I'm just not sure that would've made the point clearer.

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:39:38 PM

He or one of his clients will later confirm the receipt of the funds and also the escrow/representation relationship.

The funds were sent to the Bitcoin address as requested: http://blockchain.info/address/1FqqBZnemCrcCDbz57Nk7LHLCN42hCHXEV.

I was asked by some of the creditors and interest holders in Bitcoinica, LP to broker this transaction. Steps are being taken to safely transfer the funds to Bitcoinica, LP so they may be distributed in a fair and expeditious manner to claimants.

Thank you,
Patrick Murck

I'm just going to comment here to say "Yes, this really is our attorney at BitInstant, and he is a trustworthy guy".

Either Patrick, myself or Charlie will post here in public once the funds have been turned over to the appropriate entity, but for now they are in safe hands with a licensed attorney (Patrick) and any creditors should feel free to call up his firm at Engage Legal if they have any concerns.

Glad to see things finally moving in the good direction.
Thanks guys !

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:46:38 PM

It doesn't fit in my thinking at all. So the screenshot is either fake, or taken by someone who has actually dealt with Chen Jianhai.

Occam's Razor says that

Anyone using that as a postulate in a theorem clearly doesn't actually 'get' Occam's Razor.

Occam's Razor from wiki:

Overview

The principle is often incorrectly summarized as "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one." In practice, the application of the principle often shifts the burden of proof in a discussion.[a] The razor asserts that one should proceed to simpler theories until simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power. The simplest available theory need not be most accurate. Philosophers point out also that the exact meaning of simplest may be nuanced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Occam's Razor states that one should proceed assuming the simpler explanation, not that the simpler explanation is correct. And in this case, the more complex explanation has better explanatory power: it explains why the BTC were sold.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 11:49:16 PM

Thank you,
Patrick Murck

I believe so. He handled this matter very professionally and I'm going to continue recovering the fiat money from the hackers.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:50:24 PM

Thank you,
Patrick Murck

I believe so. He handled this matter very professionally and I'm going to continue recovering the fiat money from the hackers.
Do you know the current state of the funds frozen at aurumxchange?
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 11:53:26 PM

Zhou,  
Since the Intersango team is actively blocking the recovery process,  can we convince you to take care of the claims process as you originally offered?

You can calculate everything,  and submit the information to Tihan / Patrick Murck for verification and actual payout.

btcprophet

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:56:54 PM

Zhou,  
Since the Intersango team is actively blocking the recovery process,  can we convince you to take care of the claims process as you originally offered?

Hey fox, can you watch these chickens for me? Thanks!
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:03:26 AM

Do you know the current state of the funds frozen at aurumxchange?

Bitcoinica MtGox account is also frozen. Knowing the amount of USD/BTC in limbo there would also be useful.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:41:45 AM

Zhou,  

This as I see it is part of the problem.   People just want their money back, and it seems at this point really don't care about "justice" or whatever.    Memorydealers have a lot of money on the line here so I can understand why they don't want to rock the boat and will just swallow whatever story means they get their cash back the soonest.

It's a shame, but I can't really blame them.    I just hope that when phantom Chen pays everyone back (only partly it seems, what a stingey thieving millionaire he is), people will then actually start caring about the main issue here, which is someone stole hundreds of thousands of dollars and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Someone get the police involved already, sheesh Roll Eyes

BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:43:59 AM

Even though as a community we can determine Chen Jianhai to be the hacker,
No we cannot. You have provided no evidence of this person's existence at all, let alone their actions/implication in this theft. I invite you to do so now.

he hasn't been proven guilty legally yet. That will only happen when he faces a criminal charge.
He hasn't been proven to exist or guilty in any way either. You have invented this person to deflect blame from yourself. Again, I invite you to prove me wrong.

So intuitively I feel that the more the community criticizes me, the more I deserve to actually take possession of the funds and run away (because they penalized me like I did steal the funds, and I didn't).
This is a pathetic attempt of blackmail and to silence your critics without justification, with the retained promise of refund.

Well what a wonderful white knight you are. Please, tell me how you, a 14/15/16/17 year old:
1. Were able to gain audience with a prolific and dangerous criminal.
2. Prove his guilt and gain a confession.
3. Strip him of his latest theft.
4. Gain permission to publish his name and incriminate him publicly.
5. Still be able to walk.

I'm just going to comment here to say "Yes, this really is our attorney at BitInstant, and he is a trustworthy guy".... any creditors should feel free to call up his firm at Engage Legal if they have any concerns.
Please provide contact details for this firm and the specific people involved. Also please tell us how much of the recovered funds will be used to pay for whatever legal services have been contracted.

BB.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:47:55 AM

Even though as a community we can determine Chen Jianhai to be the hacker,
No we cannot. You have provided no evidence of this person's existence at all, let alone their actions/implication in this theft. I invite you to do so now.

he hasn't been proven guilty legally yet. That will only happen when he faces a criminal charge.
He hasn't been proven to exist or guilty in any way either. You have invented this person to deflect blame from yourself. Again, I invite you to prove me wrong.

So intuitively I feel that the more the community criticizes me, the more I deserve to actually take possession of the funds and run away (because they penalized me like I did steal the funds, and I didn't).
This is a pathetic attempt of blackmail and to silence your critics without justification, with the retained promise of refund.

Well what a wonderful white knight you are. Please, tell me how you, a 14/15/16/17 year old:
1. Were able to gain audience with a prolific and dangerous criminal.
2. Prove his guilt and gain a confession.
3. Strip him of his latest theft.
4. Gain permission to publish his name and incriminate him publicly.
5. Still be able to walk.

I'm just going to comment here to say "Yes, this really is our attorney at BitInstant, and he is a trustworthy guy".... any creditors should feel free to call up his firm at Engage Legal if they have any concerns.
Please provide contact details for this firm and the specific people involved. Also please tell us how much of the recovered funds will be used to pay for whatever legal services have been contrahttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Texas_FM_2062.svg/384px-Texas_FM_2062.svg.pngcted.

BB.
Will you cut it out? Some people have lost money here. We can deal with the "whodidit" thing later. This isn't helping anything.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:50:07 AM

RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:51:43 AM

Zhou,  

This as I see it is part of the problem.   People just want their money back, and it seems at this point really don't care about "justice" or whatever.    Memorydealers have a lot of money on the line here so I can understand why they don't want to rock the boat and will just swallow whatever story means they get their cash back the soonest.

It's a shame, but I can't really blame them.    I just hope that when phantom Chen pays everyone back (only partly it seems, what a stingey thieving millionaire he is), people will then actually start caring about the main issue here, which is someone stole hundreds of thousands of dollars and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Will you cut it out? Some people have lost money here. We can deal with the "whodidit" thing later. This isn't helping anything.

Perfect timing Dree.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 12:54:21 AM

Zhou,  

Justice is getting the money back, and extra at this point.

When police and courts get involved even getting a proper judgement isn't likely and then collecting is far from automatic anyway, and that's when dealing in currency invented and sponsored by the government.

And from a future heist protection standpoint if the people who keep the money can use it to hide themselves and the people who return it end up in jail you can guess how it's usually going to go down.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:59:08 AM

Justice is getting the money back, and extra at this point.

I respectfully disagree.  Not exactly sending the right message is it.    "Hey hackers, these jokers at the bitcointalk forum are pushovers!  Hack the shit out them (several times), but as long as you concoct some barely feasible story and hand back a portion of what you took, you get to keep the rest with no consequences!"

Yeah, awesome.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 01:00:40 AM

The main outcome here is for everyone to get their money back. Finger pointing can come afterwards.

RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:03:13 AM

The main outcome here is for everyone to get their money back. Finger pointing can come afterwards.

We'll see.  Hopefully you're right.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: