Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:00:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438333 times)
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

I don't like the idea of metal filings falling into my power supply.  Especially aluminum filings.

It will die for sure if you drill while working PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT

I will power it off,

remove all the stuff from the box,
drill it clean it and put everything back together that is the right way to go

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xiangfu

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:11:51 PM

Hi

I think this is a good news.  Grin.  no need change to 64RAM. most Avalon will use the default 703N. 64RAM was only for experience. the hardware upgrade is endless.
  4MB flash --> 8MB flash --> 16MB flash.
  32MB mem --> 64MB mem --> 128MB mem
I think we can put more time on software. Smiley you can put time on find the root cause of why cgminer keep reboot.  the log message will be very useful.

If you like, here is the 64MB mem chip model:
  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n#mb.ram.mod

1. Bad news: My wr703 has only 32M of RAM. Can somebody post what is the model of the ram chip so i can buy one and upgrade?

Please post RAM 64M chip model.
Mills00013

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

2. God news: It worked straight out of the box Smiley I am running it with 40:300 and it makes exactly 71919.43 Mh/s based on Difficulty Accepted:65,942.00.

So sounds like your overclock is working nicely! Keep us posted on the heat situation and any further progress you make to take this thing up. You've already increased it 6Ghash, that's a huge measure of improvement.
Tinua

Activity: 871

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:50:57 PM

Hi

I made a mistake on that pools. already fixed in trunk. but don't have time release the image yet. you can fix that by yourself:(replease User=(%d+) with User=(.*) ), telnet or ssh to YOUR_AVALON_IPADDRESS. run this command:
  sed -i 's/User=(%d+)/User=(.*)/'  /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/cgminer.lua  && rm -rf /tmp/luci-*

Xiangfu

Cgminer Status > Pools, is empty.
so you got yours  Cheesy
Yep  Grin

Have u something in Pools Status?

Working! Many thanks Xingfu
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:16:48 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 04:27:01 PM by loshia

Hi

I think this is a good news.  Grin.  no need change to 64RAM. most Avalon will use the default 703N. 64RAM was only for experience. the hardware upgrade is endless.
  4MB flash --> 8MB flash --> 16MB flash.
  32MB mem --> 64MB mem --> 128MB mem
I think we can put more time on software. Smiley you can put time on find the root cause of why cgminer keep reboot.  the log message will be very useful.

If you like, here is the 64MB mem chip model:
  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n#mb.ram.mod

1. Bad news: My wr703 has only 32M of RAM. Can somebody post what is the model of the ram chip so i can buy one and upgrade?

Please post RAM 64M chip model.

xiangfu,

Thanks for your input!
I will change both ram and FLASH because i am going to move unit in the friends office soon, because of electricity cost. I want to have openvpn, 3g, screen.ncurses, php and a lot more inside so they both will be changed.
My 8M custom image is waiting a long time ago and i do have missing parts already boot and art partitions  Wink

About  root cause of why cgminer keep reboot. I will not be able to do it because i am powering off/on the unit automatically and there are no logs left. However when i am at home - 10 hours a week i will disable the power off/on and if something wrong happens i will report it for sure!

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
kaerf

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:14:52 PM

What's the best way to orient the machine for best heat dissipation? I noticed the "bottom" (large surface with most screws) is the hottest. Would placing the machine hot-side up be the best? Or would that be unadvised in case something comes loose due to fan vibration? I've seen a few people stand their machines up vertically too.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:25:31 PM

What's the best way to orient the machine for best heat dissipation? I noticed the "bottom" (large surface with most screws) is the hottest. Would placing the machine hot-side up be the best? Or would that be unadvised in case something comes loose due to fan vibration? I've seen a few people stand their machines up vertically too.

Standing the machine up vertically led to increased temperature readings, here.

I saw in the brief Bitcoin Foundation video that Yifu had oriented the machine laying down; I copied that.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:32:46 PM

Standing the machine up vertically led to increased temperature readings, here.

I saw in the brief Bitcoin Foundation video that Yifu had oriented the machine laying down; I copied that.

yes, but he also had the side off in that video probably just for display purposes.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:46:33 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 05:57:24 PM by Bogart

I stood mine up vertically with the PS at the top, desktop PC style.

https://i.imgur.com/ray5NRA.jpg

It runs very cool and quiet.  The case is always cool to the touch, and the air coming out the back is not very warm.  The warmest air is what comes out of the power supply.  Temp3 is consistently reported at 42c.

I have not had to use it yet, but what you see behind the Avalon is a Web Power Switch.  Should the Avalon need to be power-cycled, I can just access the WPS (remotely if need be) and have it do it.  If need be, the WPS can even be configured to ping the Avalon itself and automatically power-cycle it if it becomes unresponsive.

All in all a pretty handy gadget:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

It could easily pay for itself in just one or two incidents.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I've always been feeling the right side of the case.  Touching the left side now where the modules anchor to the case, it's quite warm.  I guess it's dissipating through the case like it's meant to.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 05:56:04 PM

I'm going to rack mine, for now just placing on a shelf in the racks. Their home is already waiting for them.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:00:21 PM

It runs very cool and quiet.  The case is always cool to the touch, and the air coming out the back is not very warm.  The warmest air is what comes out of the power supply.  Temp3 is consistently reported at 42c.

I have not had to use it yet, but what you see behind the Avalon is a Web Power Switch.  Should the Avalon need to be power-cycled, I can just access the WPS (remotely if need be) and have it do it.  If need be, the WPS can even be configured to ping the Avalon itself and automatically power-cycle it if it becomes unresponsive.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I've always been feeling the right side of the case.  Touching the left side now where the modules anchor to the case, it's quite warm.  I guess it's dissipating through the case like it's meant to.

how loud is it Bogart?
ngzhang

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:45:39 PM

i think keep the machine horizontal is a good idea.

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

PS: do not drillling on the box. we need the airepressure inside the box to help the PSU to cool itself .
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:23:21 PM

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

PS: do not drillling on the box. we need the airepressure inside the box to help the PSU to cool itself .

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:34:07 PM

how loud is it Bogart?

A lot quieter than the GPU miner that sits near it.  It's making a bit more noise not that I have it running at 300MHz.  Definitely louder than a normal desktop PC.

A few minutes ago it freaked out and ran the fans on full blast for a bit a few times.  Looking at the status page shows crazy values for the temp and fan readings:

https://i.imgur.com/E1FbMJ1.png

Then it stopped hashing.  I restarted cgminer and all is well again for now.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:41:17 PM

how loud is it Bogart?

A lot quieter than the GPU miner that sits near it.  It's making a bit more noise not that I have it running at 300MHz.  Definitely louder than a normal desktop PC.

A few minutes ago it freaked out and ran the fans on full blast for a bit a few times.  Looking at the status page shows crazy values for the temp and fan readings:

https://i.imgur.com/E1FbMJ1.png

Then it stopped hashing.  I restarted cgminer and all is well again for now.

you just restarted cgminer or restarted the whole thing with power on/off?
ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:43:33 PM

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

how? there are already 3 fans.
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:45:51 PM

you just restarted cgminer or restarted the whole thing with power on/off?

Just cgminer.

System --> Startup --> cgminer --> Restart

rudrigorc2
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 08:00:02 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 08:10:41 PM by rudrigorc2

some reason:

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

So I guess the holes without fans are in the back panel... my mistake.
Put two more fans help suck the hot air faster,I will
ngzhang

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 08:12:47 PM

some reason:

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 08:19:09 PM

some reason:

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.
if you say so! hehe, horizontal and no more fans.  any other consideration to keep it safe?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: