Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:25:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 [880] 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:50:15 PM

Would really appreciate it if anyone getting a miner with fans knocked off in transit mark those ASIC modules some way that if later there's one or more modules with failing cores it can be noted as previously had the fan knocked off or not.

Theory: if a shock separated a solder point on the ball grid array of the ASIC module but still makes physical contact tho not flowed-solder contact, it will make a somewhat higher resistance point under current and raise temperature and that raised temperature will cause cores with gates at the hot spot to have more errors.

would be easier to mark the ones that the fans stayed on... but since they bounce around, anything can be hit from any fan

Would ROFL except it made me sad.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:53:40 PM

Cry

your theory seems to be true though..  my one board with the dead die runs significantly hotter than the rest and that is with it hashing at 75%

can't see anything with the eyes that stands out, and while it hashes at 75% not really worth it to keep shutting things down to fudge with it for now

maybe RMA it when KNC gets out of the woods

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
adrd

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:56:41 PM

Would really appreciate it if anyone getting a miner with fans knocked off in transit mark those ASIC modules some way that if later there's one or more modules with failing cores it can be noted as previously had the fan knocked off or not.

Theory: if a shock separated a solder point on the ball grid array of the ASIC module but still makes physical contact tho not flowed-solder contact, it will make a somewhat higher resistance point under current and raise temperature and that raised temperature will cause cores with gates at the hot spot to have more errors.

would be easier to mark the ones that the fans stayed on... but since they bounce around, anything can be hit from any fan

I had 2 fans knocked off and I have 2 boards underperforming, but it might be coincidence.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:59:18 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 06:39:41 PM by sickpig

Cry

your theory seems to be true though..  my one board with the dead die runs significantly hotter than the rest and that is with it hashing at 75%

can't see anything with the eyes that stands out, and while it hashes at 75% not really worth it to keep shutting things down to fudge with it for now

maybe RMA it when KNC gets out of the woods

me too have a completely dead die but all my fans were in place (i've checked while unboxing).

this happens for the two jupiters I own. (so one bad asic slot ech jup)

the common thing is that both the "flaky" asics are marked with a #3 stickers.

edit1: i've asked to hno (OrSoC eng) on irc channel it there's a relation between number on sticker and quality and he said a "weak one", but he didn't say everything he knows imho (and I can understand him)

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Crypto_Cumbrian

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:02:38 PM

[/quote]

My module took a T10.
[/quote]

My Mistake it is a T10 , I guessed at T8 it fitted and worked.
xuemike

Activity: 116

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:16:07 PM

Just an update for everyone who doesn't couldn't get all their asics up and running.

I ordered 3 jupiters from KNCminer and they arrived last friday.  And my cowoker ordered 1 jupiter. 

These are great products once you get them up and running, but boy was it a painful experience.
The issues I had with them are below.

1.  The fans on the heat sink falls off easily.  When You hear things rattling in the box, you have to open them up and put the fans on the heat sinks properly.  And they use torx screw drivers so that was a pain in the ass, luckily I had a torx set around the house.  I had to open all 3 jupiter boxes to put the fans back on at least 1 of the heat sinks on each of the units.

I had only 1 unit with all 4 asic boards running properly the others did not report any status on the status page.  After resetting the fans, I took a closer inspection.

2.  On 1 of the asic boards, the serial cable (not the power cable) CRUSHED one of the pins on the asic board.  I took the unit off line and straightened the pin on the board and then the ASIC came on.  I was pretty happy about taht.

3. Another asic board on another unit, the asic board's serial cable was defective or had some impedance issue.  I swapped the 2 cables (the ones that were the same length) and brought that asic online.  At this point all my asics were working properly.

However One of my coworkers who purchased an jupiter as well couldn't get his controller board to power on.  The asics were all powered though since he saw the fans were spinning.

4.  My coworker debugged on the on board pins and realized that there was no power going in to the controller.  So he took apart his unit and looked at the soldering on the power connector and realized it was faulty.  He touched up on the Power connector solder and the controller now came online.  the man spent a good 6 hours on this.

These were some of the issues that came up.  I hope this helps some of the people having similar problems.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:21:13 PM

Wow. Seems like they are not testing them at all or the shipping is doing lots of damage by finding the weaknesses.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
xuemike

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:24:19 PM

They are just rushing the assembly of these units without testing them at all.

They tested my unit for like a minute.  I saw it go up on my pool, it seems like they only check it to see if it's up and running, and then just sent it.  I guess for people with experience dealing with hardware it's actually advantageous to receive these early but for people with no experience dealing with hardware stuff at all it will be very painful.

WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:31:00 PM

My two hosted units are still under performing...   340 & 480.   
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 03:35:26 PM

My one hosted unit still has "paid" status.  Tongue

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
xuemike

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:44:55 PM

Just an update for everyone who doesn't couldn't get all their asics up and running.

I ordered 3 jupiters from KNCminer and they arrived last friday.  And my cowoker ordered 1 jupiter. 

These are great products once you get them up and running, but boy was it a painful experience.

1.  The fans on the heat sink falls off easily.  When You hear things rattling in the box, you have to open them up and put the fans on the heat sinks properly.  And they use torx screw drivers so that was a pain in the ass, luckily I had a torx set around the house.  I had to open all 3 jupiter boxes to put the fans back on at least 1 of the heat sinks on each of the units.

I had only 1 unit with all 4 asic boards running properly the others did not report any status on the status page.  After resetting the fans, I took a closer inspection.

2.  On 1 of the asic boards, the serial cable (not the power cable) CRUSHED one of the pins on the asic board.  I took the unit off line and straightened the pin on the board and then the ASIC came on.  I was pretty happy about taht.

3. Another asic board on another unit, the asic board's serial cable was defective or had some impedance issue.  I swapped the 2 cables (the ones that were the same length) and brought that asic online.  At this point all my asics were working properly.

However One of my coworkers who purchased an jupiter as well couldn't get his controller board to power on.  The asics were all powered though since he saw the fans were spinning.

4.  My coworker debugged on the on board pins and realized that there was no power going in to the controller.  So he took apart his unit and looked at the soldering on the power connector and realized it was faulty.  He touched up on the Power connector solder and the controller now came online.  the man spent a good 6 hours on this.

These were some of the issues that came up.  I hope this helps some of the people having similar problems.

Wow, that's unfortunate and I hope mine do not arrive in that condition.

Couple of things.

Did you contact KnCMiner with all of the above information?

Did your coworker just void his warranty by soldering the board?  Huh

I got sick of debugging after a while and was considering an RMA, then I decided to look at the hardware instead of the software.  And that's how I ended up fixing them. 

My first email I told them about my problem and what I have already tried to fix, and they gave me some canned response about how to enable the cores, which I clearly told them I've tried it already.  So definatly no help.  After I fixed it I did tell them about how I fixed it.

My co worker likely did void his warranty but I doubt they'd know by looking at the board itself so I don't think there is nothing stopping him from sending the damn thing in if it was to ever break.

WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:46:15 PM

ouch.   (mine are from "day 1") .  One initially hashed at 18Ghs

NetTime

Activity: 253
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:49:48 PM

Couple of things.

I got sick of debugging after a while and was considering an RMA, then I decided to look at the hardware instead of the software.  And that's how I ended up fixing them. 

My first email I told them about my problem and what I have already tried to fix, and they gave me some canned response about how to enable the cores, which I clearly told them I've tried it already.  So definatly no help.  After I fixed it I did tell them about how I fixed it.

My co worker likely did void his warranty but I doubt they'd know by looking at the board itself so I don't think there is nothing stopping him from sending the damn thing in if it was to ever break.

This sucks.  Completely unacceptable on a >$7k USD device.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:51:34 PM

speaking of humitiy i'm in the Midwest (winter is coming) but what is the humidly you should set your bsmt dehumidifier at if you are running electronic equip like the miners in your unfinished bsmt? approx. temp prob will stay around 62 degrees F.

Data centers run with 45-55% humidity (optimal numbers). Personally, my garage/basement de-humidifier is set to 50%.

xuemike

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:55:14 PM

Couple of things.

This sucks.  Completely unacceptable on a >$7k USD device.

To be honest I think people who are hosting their units getting around 380ish gh/s definatly have problem with at least 1 of their asic boards not working for some reason or another.  Though I had a small sampling size of 4 jupiters.  Only 1 worked out of the box ( still needed firmware upgrade though), the other 2 were doing 380 with 3 / 4 asics status with temps up.

A trick in debugging btw is let it run for a while then feel up the heat sink, the heat sink that's not warm means that asic is NOT hashing.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 03:56:00 PM

ouch.   (mine are from "day 1") .  One initially hashed at 18Ghs

Well, I am just a lowly 39xx, but I now see that at least two orders from other people that were paid after me, got shipped today. I'll wait out tomorrow and then will give them an earful...

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:12:35 PM

Note for those waiting for DHL to deliver your units in the U.S.

A signature is required.

If you want them to leave the package without you being there.

You must leave a note with your signature saying that you authorize them to leave Waybill # XXXXXXXX

and don't forget to sign it, otherwise you will be waiting another day for your item.

Altomesi

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:14:22 PM

Anyone else seeing this kind of reoccurring drop in hashing, I suspect it's got something to do with cgminer restarts or the like? I have other miners running so the graph doesn't hit zero but the new KNC miner does completely go offline for long enough that the graph picks it up....

https://i.imgur.com/mWNEIMU.png
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:16:23 PM

Anyone else seeing this kind of reoccurring drop in hashing, I suspect it's got something to do with cgminer restarts or the like? I have other miners running so the graph doesn't hit zero but the new KNC miner does completely go offline for long enough that the graph picks it up....

I see that kind of thing on Eligius when someone is trying to DDOS the pool.  It's been happening off and on quite a bit lately.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:16:31 PM

They are just rushing the assembly of these units without testing them at all.

They tested my unit for like a minute.  I saw it go up on my pool, it seems like they only check it to see if it's up and running, and then just sent it.  I guess for people with experience dealing with hardware it's actually advantageous to receive these early but for people with no experience dealing with hardware stuff at all it will be very painful.

Not really, if mine turns up fucked they get it back. I paid for a working machine, not an electronics class.
Wankers, sending thousands of pounds of kit out untested to that extreme level of physical fault ..for the lack of half an hour running it?
Reputation  in ashes. That last list of stuff physically wrong was appauling. No excuse at all for that.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
Pages: « 1 ... 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 [880] 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: