Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:05:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 [592] 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591625 times)
idonothave

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:18:51 PM

mate u WILL need plenty of patience, give it a week or so but it does pay off.

Indeed, patience is key with p2pool.

Although there is of course nothing wrong with mining on someone else's node, it's true that mining on your own local node is preferred for better performance & to help increase/strengthen the p2pool network. The problem is that many noobs to p2pool mining find that installing their own node is simply too daunting/complicated (not everyone is a coder & many people are not comfortable with command line). If p2pool is to grow & become more widely adopted, there should be an easier way to install it so that an absolute novice can be up & running within minutes.
I tried to address this issue over a year ago by suggesting there should be an open source graphical installer for both windoze & Linux, and I was even in conversation with a dev (Ahmed Bodi) who was willing to do one. Unfortunately, he got side tracked on other projects & nothing came of it. I'm no coder myself, far from it, but after talking with Ahmed, I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard for someone with basic coding skills to do - maybe a bounty could be offered to get it done? I'm sure this would encourage more potential p2poolers to at least give it a try, thus helping p2pool become more mainstream as the Bitcoin ecosystem grows.
P2pool has the potential to be the defacto standard for mining, all that needs to be done is to encourage more users to adopt it - a simple installer would help achieve this.

And a complete re-write in C of course, as others have mentioned........ Cheesy
You hit the nail on me about this. I would make my own node if it was within my knowledge but I know better than to try.  I would probley bring the whole pool down Tongue

it is easy, You will get it

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:41:46 PM

Glad to see the pool hit another block so soon after those 2 yesterday.
bhanu545

Activity: 706
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:53:30 PM

http://minefast.coincadence.com:9332/static/original/  - In this page, "My shares" shows invalid pages, how do we find the latest share submitted in this node under "my shares"? Opening each link to check the details is a headache job.
Thanks Mdude77 and windpath for all the support.

But my question above is still being unanswered. Also how does the pool assign actual difficulty of a share to worker? Based on miner hashrate or node efficiency? Is there any connection with the node efficiency and actual share difficulty we get?
I was being told that better the nodes efficiency, higher the difficulty shares it gets from the pool. Or is it just random or luck?

Also does the submitted shares be valid for 24hours or 3 days or till a block is found since last block? I see different things written in different sources, so got confused with the p2pool PPLNS system.
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:07:58 PM

mate u WILL need plenty of patience, give it a week or so but it does pay off.

Indeed, patience is key with p2pool.

Although there is of course nothing wrong with mining on someone else's node, it's true that mining on your own local node is preferred for better performance & to help increase/strengthen the p2pool network. The problem is that many noobs to p2pool mining find that installing their own node is simply too daunting/complicated (not everyone is a coder & many people are not comfortable with command line). If p2pool is to grow & become more widely adopted, there should be an easier way to install it so that an absolute novice can be up & running within minutes.
I tried to address this issue over a year ago by suggesting there should be an open source graphical installer for both windoze & Linux, and I was even in conversation with a dev (Ahmed Bodi) who was willing to do one. Unfortunately, he got side tracked on other projects & nothing came of it. I'm no coder myself, far from it, but after talking with Ahmed, I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard for someone with basic coding skills to do - maybe a bounty could be offered to get it done? I'm sure this would encourage more potential p2poolers to at least give it a try, thus helping p2pool become more mainstream as the Bitcoin ecosystem grows.
P2pool has the potential to be the defacto standard for mining, all that needs to be done is to encourage more users to adopt it - a simple installer would help achieve this.

And a complete re-write in C of course, as others have mentioned........ Cheesy
You hit the nail on me about this. I would make my own node if it was within my knowledge but I know better than to try.  I would probley bring the whole pool down Tongue

You'll be very surprised my friend. This is where the p2pool plays a strong part in helping each other out.

Ask away any questions you have & you shall be answered & your own personal pool shall be up pretty quick.

Do you know who i am actually? On the other pool irc hehehe.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 03:34:53 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 11:05:33 PM by aurel57

Also does the submitted shares be valid for 24hours or 3 days or till a block is found since last block? I see different things written in different sources, so got confused with the p2pool PPLNS system.
As per jonnybravo0311:

January 28, 2015, 05:03:16 PM

Glad to help.  Another question that comes up a lot is, "How long is my share valid on the payout list?" The answer is 3 times the average shares to find a block OR 8160 8640 shares, whichever is smaller.  Since shares are supposed to be found every 30 seconds, this turns into a maximum of 3 days that your share will be valid for payout.  Obviously it fluctuates but, generally if expected time to block is a day, your share on the chain will last for 3 days.

Also in relation to shares is, "how much is my share worth?" Each share is given a weight, and when the payouts are calculated your share weights are compared to all the other shares on the chain.  This also constantly fluctuates because it is primarily based upon share difficulty.  In other words, the higher the difficulty of finding a share to add on the chain, the more that share is typically worth.
Report to moderator  

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:56:06 PM

As per jonnybravo0311:
Re: Stop by our pool give us feed back
January 28, 2015, 05:03:16 PM
Glad to help.  Another question that comes up a lot is, "How long is my share valid on the payout list?" The answer is 3 times the average shares to find a block OR 8160 shares, whichever is smaller.  Since shares are supposed to be found every 30 seconds, this turns into a maximum of 3 days that your share will be valid for payout.  Obviously it fluctuates but, generally if expected time to block is a day, your share on the chain will last for 3 days.

Also in relation to shares is, "how much is my share worth?" Each share is given a weight, and when the payouts are calculated your share weights are compared to all the other shares on the chain.  This also constantly fluctuates because it is primarily based upon share difficulty.  In other words, the higher the difficulty of finding a share to add on the chain, the more that share is typically worth.
Report to moderator  

It's 8640 shares, not 8160... no idea where I got that number Smiley.  The 8640 is calculated by 2*60*24*3.... 30 seconds per share, so 2 per minute... 60 minutes an hour, 24 hours a day, for 3 days.

This is the maximum length of time a share will be valid.  It could certainly be less than that too.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Songminer

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 06:40:22 PM

Hey all,

I've been mining on a pool, and there have only been two other addresses mining.  In the last 24 hours, though something strange has happened.

One address that had been mining at 2.3TH/s suddenly went to 98 TH/s, and the overall pool hashing didn't go up significantly... which may be ok, although, I have to say it was pretty dramatic.

Other than concern for the sudden change in hash, and whether something could be suspicious, will having a whale on this particular node keep the other two miners from gaining shares?

Would it make more sense for me to seek out another node?

S

Sorry, I wrote GH/s.. I meant TH/s
mahrens917

Activity: 78

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:08:54 PM

Hey all,

I've been mining on a pool, and there have only been two other addresses mining.  In the last 24 hours, though something strange has happened.

One address that had been mining at 2.3TH/s suddenly went to 98 TH/s, and the overall pool hashing didn't go up significantly... which may be ok, although, I have to say it was pretty dramatic.

Other than concern for the sudden change in hash, and whether something could be suspicious, will having a whale on this particular node keep the other two miners from gaining shares?

S

As long as the nodes effeciency is the same as before, i would not think extra hasing power on that node would matter.

Find the pool with the best payout!
nodes.p2pool.co
Chupacabras

Activity: 166

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:23:50 PM

Thanks to all who help me on the problem that i was having.

Now a new one.

How to setup my node to charge a percentage?
No one have setup one yet.
This is a public node for anyone in South America to go to.

Thanks in advance.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:29:48 PM

Hey all,

S

Don't think of it as competing with miners on the same node, you are completing (and collaborating) with the whole pool.

Also, node efficiency is a poor indicator on any node with more then 1 miner. A single miner with a high latency can bring node efficiency way down, while your miners may be mining very efficiently.

Look at your latency to the node, the node getBlockTemplate latency, and your stale/DOA shares to get a feel for your particular efficiency...

After a few days of mining you can look up your miner in our "active miners" list for p2pool. That estimated hashrate, if higher then expected, means you are mining efficiently/currently lucky. If it is lower then expected you are mining inefficiently or in a streak of bad luck. (this only works after you have been mining for the length of the share chain, i.e. 3 days)

http://minefast.coincadence.com/p2pool-stats.php
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:32:18 PM

Now a new one.

Thanks in advance.

-f FEE_PERCENTAGE, --fee FEE_PERCENTAGE
                        charge workers mining to their own bitcoin address (by
                        setting their miner's username to a bitcoin address)
                        this percentage fee to mine on your p2pool instance.
                        Amount displayed at http://127.0.0.1:WORKER_PORT/fee
                        (default: 0)

Under option reference here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool#Useful_features

If you set a fee I would not expect any miners to jump on board...
Songminer

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:51:14 PM

Don't think of it as competing with miners on the same node, you are completing (and collaborating) with the whole pool.

Also, node efficiency is a poor indicator on any node with more then 1 miner. A single miner with a high latency can bring node efficiency way down, while your miners may be mining very efficiently.

Look at your latency to the node, the node getBlockTemplate latency, and your stale/DOA shares to get a feel for your particular efficiency...

After a few days of mining you can look up your miner in our "active miners" list for p2pool. That estimated hashrate, if higher then expected, means you are mining efficiently/currently lucky. If it is lower then expected you are mining inefficiently or in a streak of bad luck. (this only works after you have been mining for the length of the share chain, i.e. 3 days)

http://minefast.coincadence.com/p2pool-stats.php

Thanks!

How can I access the active miners list for p2pool?  Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Chupacabras

Activity: 166

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 08:05:03 PM

Now a new one.

Thanks in advance.

-f FEE_PERCENTAGE, --fee FEE_PERCENTAGE
                        charge workers mining to their own bitcoin address (by
                        setting their miner's username to a bitcoin address)
                        this percentage fee to mine on your p2pool instance.
                        Amount displayed at http://127.0.0.1:WORKER_PORT/fee
                        (default: 0)

Under option reference here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool#Useful_features

If you set a fee I would not expect any miners to jump on board...
where to you type that?
Im not here to make a million.. I wish. but electricity is not cheap....
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 08:24:58 PM

Thanks!

How can I access the active miners list for p2pool?  Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Go here: http://minefast.coincadence.com/p2pool-stats.php

Click on "Active Miners", you can click the header fields to sort....

http://imgur.com/cp5sWJ6
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 08:28:12 PM

where to you type that?
Im not here to make a million.. I wish. but electricity is not cheap....

In the command line when you start P2Pool

python -O ./run_p2pool.py --address YOUR_ADDRESS --give-author 0 -f FEE_PERCENT ...
Songminer

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:00:28 PM

Yikes.  Its giving me a hash rate of 400GH/s when the pool is reporting a 1.4 TH/s rate.

What could be going wrong to result in such an inefficiency?   It has been stellar up until the last couple days.. or is it just a bout of bad luck?

Is that what that number is telling me.. how bad my luck has been lately?

Is that number based on the last share cycle (3 days?)

S
Songminer

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:07:21 PM

Ha.  Just looked up the whale's address and its effective hash rate is 25TH/s when the pool is calling out 94 TH/s.

Maybe I should just sit back for a day or so and see what happens..

Is there anything I should look for in my miner status that will indicate something I should change?   Is the whale spoiling the node's performance?

400GH/s pretty much screws my electricity efficiency.
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 09:56:28 PM

Sounds like 2 extremes (you and the whale)...

The estimate is based on your current payout if a block were found NOW and what % of the total pool hashrate that *should* represent.

If you have not been stably mining for at least the length of the current share chain it will be way off....

Songminer

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 10:10:27 PM

OK.

I've been on the node for a month.

I suspect my share luck has been off, lately.  Nothing, other than the whale, has changed.

I'll relax for a day  or so and see what happens.

I think I might fire up my local node again.   I had shut it down because I needed the computer for other things, but I may run it and let the node I'm on right now be a backup if I need to take it down occasionally.

Thanks for the help!

S
Songminer

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 10:30:44 PM

Jonny answered back on my whale on the node question.  Will it affect the other miners?

Here's his answer:

"Short answer is yes... That miner with 75TH/s is accounted for by the node and it ups the share difficulty.  Now, if that miner knows what he's doing, he'll account for it himself by using /xxxx after his address ... Where xxx is a value greater than the typical share difficulty.  Example if the share difficulty is 10000000 then that user would do something like ADDRESS/100000000."

Whale, if your watching, do me a favor, would you?

Smiley

S
Pages: « 1 ... 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 [592] 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: