Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:23:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260008 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
phroyRov6

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:11:36 PM

I talked to a DC in Iceland and they gave me a price of 95 EUR per kW per month. That comes out to about the same price.

Can you share the details with info@ ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83332.0
In this thread Bitfury talks about the options he got in Iceland when looking for a DC solution (for his 13 kw FPGA rack solution)
Most of the stuff should still be accurate.
(in the middle of the thread there is an excerpt from a conversation he had with the DC guys)

Basically, they get really cheap when you can rent a whole container.

Yes, that's the one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:15:06 PM

Thank you

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:51:06 PM

I talked to a DC in Iceland and they gave me a price of 95 EUR per kW per month. That comes out to about the same price.
Last quote i got was 78 €/kw for small customers, ofcourse this only gets cheap if you order multiple racks (ideally a whole DC container, then they can give you all the cooling you want)

Let's start working some details with them and then let's start a Group Buy for hosting. I am sure that there are a lot of small miners in Europe who would love to colocate their rigs if they will have nice price/kw.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:54:53 PM

Last quote i got was 78 €/kw for small customers, ofcourse this only gets cheap if you order multiple racks (ideally a whole DC container, then they can give you all the cooling you want)

Let's start working some details with them and then let's start a Group Buy for hosting. I am sure that there are a lot of small miners in Europe who would love to colocate their rigs if they will have nice price/kw.

Excellent! Strength in numbers. I like it

(Let me know if you need help)

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:04:46 PM

YEP! Sounds like a good idea ... +1 for being interested in this ... my August SP30s have to be hosted ... somewhere ... I've been searching.

bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:11:29 PM

We will have a Hydro-powered data center built in OR here in June/July, all Sp30s are welcome Smiley
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:11:39 PM

Thank you for the support!

Collider how would you feel contacting the DC again and start discussing some terms?

@DevonMiner my August SP30 units will be hosted in the WA DC. Don't like it? Or just want a DC that is closer to home?

@bobsag3 keep us updated while we wait for some prices

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:29:15 PM

Got mine setup and hashing away at 1.27 thash. Temp shows 33/74. When I look at ASIC stats most chips are listed as 77 and a bunch showing as 113. Is there something wrong with my hardware?
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:50:31 PM

Got mine setup and hashing away at 1.27 thash. Temp shows 33/74. When I look at ASIC stats most chips are listed as 77 and a bunch showing as 113. Is there something wrong with my hardware?

If you just started it give it some time to ramp to the full speed. Upgraded to the latest firmware? Also are you running it at normal or at turbo settings?

The intake temperature seems a bit high. You having it at your place or you have it hosted?

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:04:38 PM

[quote auaftRoadStress link=topic=521520.msg6903223#msg6903223 date=1400885431]

If you just started it give it some time to ramp to the full speed. Upgraded to the latest firmware? Also are you running it at normal or at turbo settings?

The intake temperature seems a bit high. You having it at your place or you have it hosted?
[/quote]
That was after an hour. Pretty sure I have the latest firmware, dont want to run the beta one. Today was our first hot day and it hit 30.5C outside. Ill see how things go overnight when it cools off. Was hoping not to have to build a box around them with AC but looking like the best option now. Its usually not that hot here, passive cooling had been working good when the ambient temp was lower.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:10:39 PM

Collider how would you feel contacting the DC again and start discussing some terms?

@DevonMiner my August SP30 units will be hosted in the WA DC. Don't like it? Or just want a DC that is closer to home?

Its tricky I've been looking for colo for around 6 months, and there are stirrings of interest.

bobsag3 has the right idea really, build your own, forget about all that raised floor, hot/cold aisles, 47U APC racks, redundant diesel generators etc etc. This bitcoin stuff is short term. You just need a well ventilated warehouse with decent aircon and flow. Get industrial shelving to put the miners on and make sure you have enough electricity to keep it going.

From humble beginnings they have come a long way.
Then:
Now:

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
BitCoin Operated Boy

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:16:47 PM

Does 48 hour 5% special offer add up to 10% discount with a proof of purchase from other manufacturers? 15% altogether?
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:30:51 PM

Its tricky I've been looking for colo for around 6 months, and there are stirrings of interest.

bobsag3 has the right idea really, build your own, forget about all that raised floor, hot/cold aisles, 47U APC racks, redundant diesel generators etc etc. This bitcoin stuff is short term. You just need a well ventilated warehouse with decent aircon and flow. Get industrial shelving to put the miners on and make sure you have enough electricity to keep it going.

From humble beginnings they have come a long way.
Then:
Now:

+1. colocation is expensive as hell. who cares if bitcoin miners lose power or ethernet for a minute here and there - pretty much every single ASIC is capable of rebooting/reconnecting and theres only a few minutes of lost hashrate - compared to the massive premiums of diesel generators and massive battery banks.

how are people planning to handle summertime in these small DIY warehourses? AC adds about 30% to your power (IIRC?), so ideally outside airflow would be cheaper but extremely limited when the temperatures outside get above 25 C (~80F)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Legendary

Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:34:55 PM

Exactly. You not only don't need uninterruptible power, you'll be better of buying cheap, explicitly interruptible power from the utility company using special industrial/agricultural/pumping tariffs. I even dare to say that air-conditioning is an overkill, good airflow (which for SP10 means getting rid of the cases) and maybe cheap, evaporative cooling will be good enough. Get a small UPS to have a continuous network connection just for the local switches/routers and security cameras.

Or just admit to yourself that you've got your Bitcoin mining hardware as a status symbol.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:00:47 AM

which for SP10 means getting rid of the cases
Simply removing the case will destroy the airflow completely.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:10:06 AM

Not to mention its a waste of time, effort, money and a potential warranty liability.

No just stick to getting a big warehouse as cool as possible and getting the hot air out of the building as fast as you can.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Legendary

Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:04:18 AM

This type of argument is why plastic bags in the USA had the following warning: To avoid danger of suffocation, keep this plastic bag away from babies and children. The plastic bag could block nose and mouth and prevent breathing. This bag is not a toy.

Just take away the external metal casing. Flip the machine on its side. Borrow a good centrifugal "air mover" from a neighborhood water damage repair contractor and some baffling that they use to direct the air. Also borrow a contact-less thermometer to understand the why the SP10 casing is badly designed for cooling and creates unnecessary temperature gradients. I don't know if Spondoolies' firmware has a "seized fan" shutdown programmed in, so you'll have to experiment with which fans can be removed.

The alternative is just to dress in your best cold weather clothes and photograph yourself near your Spondoolies' machines. You'll have a nice memento.

I haven't used Spondoolies' hardware personally, but I do have relevant experience of restarting bankrupt batch data processing facilities filled out with racks of 1U and 2U hardware from Dell and Sun. It had the same symptoms: the bottom was getting hot and the intake air had to be really cool. Neither Dell nor Sun field service technicians were giving us any trouble after seeing our temporary facility w.r.t. warranties and service contracts. We've actually lowered the rate of faults due to seized fans and accumulation of dust and debris. Only hard drive failures had increased.

Not to mention its a waste of time, effort, money and a potential warranty liability.

No just stick to getting a big warehouse as cool as possible and getting the hot air out of the building as fast as you can.
I have to partially agree with the above. It does take some effort from skilled technicians. I'm not really familiar with the money saved in my case, it reduced the cost somewhere between 2 and 4 times.

Same about the warehouse, but I wouldn't call it "big" but "tall" and "thick walled". You may be able to operate mostly with natural convection and thermal inertia from the daily temperature oscillations.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
grn

Activity: 357
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:15:57 AM

This type of argument is why plastic bags in the USA had the following warning: To avoid danger of suffocation, keep this plastic bag away from babies and children. The plastic bag could block nose and mouth and prevent breathing. This bag is not a toy.

Just take away the external metal casing. Flip the machine on its side. Borrow a good centrifugal "air mover" from a neighborhood water damage repair contractor and some baffling that they use to direct the air. Also borrow a contact-less thermometer to understand the why the SP10 casing is badly designed for cooling and creates unnecessary temperature gradients. I don't know if Spondoolies' firmware has a "seized fan" shutdown programmed in, so you'll have to experiment with which fans can be removed.

The alternative is just to dress in your best cold weather clothes and photograph yourself near your Spondoolies' machines. You'll have a nice memento.

I haven't used Spondoolies' hardware personally, but I do have relevant experience of restarting bankrupt batch data processing facilities filled out with racks of 1U and 2U hardware from Dell and Sun. It had the same symptoms: the bottom was getting hot and the intake air had to be really cool. Neither Dell nor Sun field service technicians were giving us any trouble after seeing our temporary facility w.r.t. warranties and service contracts. We've actually lowered the rate of faults due to seized fans and accumulation of dust and debris. Only hard drive failures had increased.

I have to partially agree with the above. It does take some effort from skilled technicians. I'm not really familiar with the money saved in my case, it reduced the cost somewhere between 2 and 4 times.

Same about the warehouse, but I wouldn't call it "big" but "tall" and "thick walled". You may be able to operate mostly with natural convection and thermal inertia from the daily temperature oscillations.

+100

How is that Lexical analysis working out bickneleski?
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:26:28 AM

Does 48 hour 5% special offer add up to 10% discount with a proof of purchase from other manufacturers? 15% altogether?

Not anymore. That 10% was mainly for the GB.

Exactly. You not only don't need uninterruptible power, you'll be better of buying cheap, explicitly interruptible power from the utility company using special industrial/agricultural/pumping tariffs. I even dare to say that air-conditioning is an overkill, good airflow (which for SP10 means getting rid of the cases) and maybe cheap, evaporative cooling will be good enough. Get a small UPS to have a continuous network connection just for the local switches/routers and security cameras.

Or just admit to yourself that you've got your Bitcoin mining hardware as a status symbol.

Let's get an Iceland colocation company to have a special room for bitcoin mining with these attributes. Nothing fancy. Power and good airflow is all that we need.

bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 03:51:00 AM

Not anymore. That 10% was mainly for the GB.

Let's get an Iceland colocation company to have a special room for bitcoin mining with these attributes. Nothing fancy. Power and good airflow is all that we need.

We have a large swamp cooler + passive/active exhausts installed, gives us more than enough cooling capacity for even the hottest days. My prices aint bad either, and this machines are lonely Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: