Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 08:24:26 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 [956] 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 ... 1558 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2011232 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2408

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:33:12 PM

for those who miss their daily SC's hit, go here for an excellent discussion btwn this guy Coinlock and nullc over on Reddit.  Coinlock gives some very clear and cogent arguments against the peg and shuts nullc down real quick:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qpdnc/gregory_maxwell_how_i_went_from_bitcoin_skeptic/cn8dne9

I don't see it that way.

I see you were happy about coinlock saying this...

Now super-risky-coin collapses, I lose my Bitcoin because the information about the relative risks was hidden in the deterministic rate.

To this I would say: you already lost your Bitcoins when you swapped them for super-risky-coins. That information isn't hidden at all. When you 'move' (it's debatable wether that's a good expression to use) BTC -> scBTC you're well aware you're swapping your bitcoins for sidechain coins, aren't you?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:33:14 PM

for those who miss their daily SC's hit, go here for an excellent discussion btwn this guy Coinlock and nullc over on Reddit.  Coinlock gives some very clear and cogent arguments against the peg and shuts nullc down real quick:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qpdnc/gregory_maxwell_how_i_went_from_bitcoin_skeptic/cn8dne9
nullc :
About the only thing negative you can say about a system which is truly backed by Bitcoin is that it doesn't create huge incomes for traders. Many people wouldn't consider that much of a negative.

Does he heard about Soros?
When two things are pegged while they don't have the same economic features, then the pegged is temporary, and that creates profit opportunities and people prompted to accelerate the failure of the peg system.

It looks like sidechains people think because two things are pegged they magically become the same thing. From 1984 to 1997 the thai bath was pegged with the US dollar, that doesn't mean that the bath was the same thing than the dollar. Sooner or later the market forces end up destroying the top down price fixation.

Yep, that contorted remark by nullc is painfully naive.  He totally neglects the fact that these SC assets will have a  separate exchange price in fiat that certainly can and will be pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels. SC's don't solve any of those issues
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:34:41 PM

Sidechain coins are Bitcoins.

No. There's time (cost) and risk between the two.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
brg444

Activity: 644

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:36:48 PM

nullc :
About the only thing negative you can say about a system which is truly backed by Bitcoin is that it doesn't create huge incomes for traders. Many people wouldn't consider that much of a negative.

When two things are pegged while they don't have the same economic features, then the pegged is temporary, and that creates profit opportunities and people prompted to accelerate the failure of the peg system.

It looks like sidechains people think because two things are pegged they magically become the same thing. From 1984 to 1997 the thai bath was pegged with the US dollar, that doesn't mean that the bath was the same thing than the dollar. Sooner or later the market forces end up destroying the top down price fixation.

Yep, that contorted remark by nullc is painfully naive.  He totally neglects the fact that these SC assets will have a  separate exchange price in fiat that certainly can and will be pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels. SC's don't solve any of those issues

Please, we have been going over this times and times again. The exchange rate of a properly implemented 1:1 SC asset will, in time, closely track BTC prices for many logical reasons.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:43:32 PM

nullc :

Please, we have been going over this times and times again. The exchange rate of a properly implemented 1:1 SC asset will, in time, closely track BTC prices for many logical reasons.

'pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels'? Yeah, that's ridiculous. If the peg works, arbitrage would stop that kind of thing in its roots. Also: do you really thing there would be sidechainCoin <-> fiat exchange? I doubt that makes much sense since the peg plus existing bitcoin <-> fiat exchanges can easily be used, no?

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:43:34 PM

I don't see it that way.

Now super-risky-coin collapses, I lose my Bitcoin because the information about the relative risks was hidden in the deterministic rate.

To this I would say: you already lost your Bitcoins when you swapped them for super-risky-coins. That information isn't hidden at all. When you 'move' (it's debatable wether that's a good expression to use) BTC -> scBTC you're well aware you're swapping your bitcoins for sidechain coins, aren't you?

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1162

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 12:45:03 PM

I don't think traditional currency peg apply. The mechanics behind these pegs are not solid and open to the failures you've illustrated.

The situation here is one where a sidechain unit has its equivalent in BTC collateral. A mathematically enforced 1:1 convertibility between both units. Each units' exchange rate value might differ but the protocol dictates that they are exchangeable 1:1 no matter their economic value. That is because for every unit on a sidechain there exist an equivalent amount of BTC locked in an "escrow" type transaction.

Theoratically, and I might be wrong, but even if the perceived market value of the unit on a sidechain would come to 0 one could still return is sidecoin for its equivalent in BTC.
If markets are efficient then market value of pure 1:1 sidechains should only ever be *higher* than BTC.  They should never have the same market value.  The time delay via SPV to use the sidechain makes it such that there should be a premium on no-delay (bought from market).

We never did find out why the SC marketing folks are using the economically discredited term "peg", for something that is so very different from a peg in any traditional sense of the word.  It is bound to confuse people.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:45:39 PM

I don't see it that way.

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.

SC's would change some assumptions but most certainly not all.

It is also debatable whether those changes will hinder the Bitcoin blockchain or help it thrive.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:48:07 PM

nullc :

'pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels'? Yeah, that's ridiculous. If the peg works, arbitrage would stop that kind of thing in its roots. Also: do you really thing there would be sidechainCoin <-> fiat exchange? I doubt that makes much sense since the peg plus existing bitcoin <-> fiat exchanges can easily be used, no?

Yes, there should be markets that arise. Have you read Konrad Grafs paper? 
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:48:28 PM

I don't see it that way.

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.

If people can be lured into thinking their scBTC are BTC (even just 'monetarily'), then yes, that's a danger. The same kind of danger as thinking mtgoxBTC are BTC.

going back to ccc now. side-note: the 'hacker crowd' seems much more open to Bitcoin than a year ago.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:51:24 PM

I don't see it that way.

SC's would change some assumptions and most certainly not all.

It is also debatable whether those changes will hinder the Bitcoin blockchain or help it thrive.

Those are very logical statements with which I agree. Clearly I have my opinions though. 
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:52:09 PM

I don't think traditional currency peg apply. The mechanics behind these pegs are not solid and open to the failures you've illustrated.

The situation here is one where a sidechain unit has its equivalent in BTC collateral. A mathematically enforced 1:1 convertibility between both units. Each units' exchange rate value might differ but the protocol dictates that they are exchangeable 1:1 no matter their economic value. That is because for every unit on a sidechain there exist an equivalent amount of BTC locked in an "escrow" type transaction.

Theoratically, and I might be wrong, but even if the perceived market value of the unit on a sidechain would come to 0 one could still return is sidecoin for its equivalent in BTC.
If markets are efficient then market value of pure 1:1 sidechains should only ever be *higher* than BTC.  They should never have the same market value.  The time delay via SPV to use the sidechain makes it such that there should be a premium on no-delay (bought from market).

I agree, in a sense the price of BTC should be the floor for the price of a 1:1 sidechain unit. The logic of this is if bitcoins can be algorithmically "redeemed" for an equivalent amount of sidechain units then the perceived market value of these units can not be lower than their collateral BTC units' value.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:54:30 PM

I don't see it that way.

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.

If people can be lured into thinking their scBTC are BTC (even just 'monetarily'), then yes, that's a danger. The same kind of danger as thinking mtgoxBTC are BTC.

going back to ccc now. side-note: the 'hacker crowd' seems much more open to Bitcoin than a year ago.

Clearly people can be duped into thinking  they  are bitcoins. The Blockstream people have told us they are multiple times.

And altcoins are  evidence people will believe anything.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 896

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:21:21 PM

Side chains are probably unicorns . I say probably because I haven't seen the proof of concept demonstrated nor have a real world analogy. It seems like vaporware.

Time will tell I suppose.

Fwiw 2wpeg sidechains could be implemented now, without any changes to the btc protocol...

I understand that the two-way peg ensures that no extra bitcoins can be created on the main chain by going through a side chain.  But will the Bitcoin Network ensure that no extra SideCoins are generated on the side chain, before they are brought back?  That is, can one implement MtGOX on a sidechain?

EDIT: I see that someone partially answered this question above.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

Side chains are probably unicorns . I say probably because I haven't seen the proof of concept demonstrated nor have a real world analogy. It seems like vaporware.

Fwiw 2wpeg sidechains could be implemented now, without any changes to the btc protocol...

I understand that the two-way peg ensures that no extra bitcoins can be created on the main chain by going through a side chain.  But will the Bitcoin Network ensure that no extra SideCoins are generated on the side chain, before they are brought back?  That is, can one implement MtGOX on a sidechain?

The peg, that is, the exchange rate between the mainchain and the sidechain can be deterministic and one could create a inflationary sidechain but the network will not allow more coins to return to the mainchain than what got out.

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 896

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:34:31 PM

The peg, that is, the exchange rate between the mainchain and the sidechain can be deterministic and one could create a inflationary sidechain but the network will not allow more coins to return to the mainchain than what got out.

In other words, the Bitcoin protocol will not ensure that the SideCoins are pegged to the bitcoins that were transferred.  The SideCoin protocol can do with SideCoins anything its designers choose to do.  Correct?

Will it be possible to create SideCoins after transferring 0 BTC to the sidechain? Or just 1 satoshi?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:40:55 PM

Who actually pegs the transaction? With many different versions of the blockchain, how do you reach  consensus without an actual bitcoin transaction?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:51:12 PM

Let's see a two way peg with test bitcoins and test litecoins at an arbitrary peg. Has anyone created an atomic swap between chains without human intervention?

No such a thing is in place, that I'm aware of.

Having said that, what I meant with "implemented" was the federeted servers with mutlisig scheme. Afaik atomic swaps concept is orthogonal to the way the sidechain is built, it even applies to alt chains. Dunno what you meant with "w/o human intervention" though. Scripted?

In any case I'm very eager to see a first "actual" sidechains (if any).

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:12:06 PM

In other words, the Bitcoin protocol will not ensure that the SideCoins are pegged to the bitcoins that were transferred.  The SideCoin protocol can do with SideCoins anything its designers choose to do.  Correct?

Will it be possible to create SideCoins after transferring 0 BTC to the sidechain? Or just 1 satoshi?

The peg rate is a function of the sidechain's and is hard coded into the protocol. The sidecoin protocol can decide on whatever rate of exchange (peg) he desires.

Yes, inflationary sidechains can be created

brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:19:23 PM

Who actually pegs the transaction? With many different versions of the blockchain, how do you reach  consensus without an actual bitcoin transaction?

It seems you haven't gotten much far in your own research of the technology.

I will quote Konrad Graf here :

A sidechain peg to bitcoin is a technical peg, not a price peg

About consensus of chains and how the "peg" work, see here :

http://blockstream.com/sidechains.pdf
http://gendal.me/2014/10/26/a-simple-explanation-of-bitcoin-sidechains/

Pages: « 1 ... 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 [956] 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 ... 1558 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.