Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:19:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 [955] 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 10:41:14 AM

Side chains are probably unicorns . I say probably because I haven't seen the proof of concept demonstrated nor have a real world analogy. It seems like vaporware.

Time will tell I suppose.

Fwiw 2wpeg sidechains could be implemented now, without any changes to the btc protocol...

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 10:51:12 AM

Side chains are probably unicorns . I say probably because I haven't seen the proof of concept demonstrated nor have a real world analogy. It seems like vaporware.

Huh

They are not terribly hard to understand. Yes the math has to be vetted, the crypto validated and implemented but they are very much a reality and certainly not "vaporware".

The proof of concept is in the whitepaper.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:14:19 AM

Time will tell I suppose.

Fwiw 2wpeg sidechains could be implemented now, without any changes to the btc protocol...
Let's see a two way peg with test bitcoins and test litecoins at an arbitrary peg. Has anyone created an atomic swap between chains without human intervention?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:20:11 AM

Sidechain coins are Bitcoins.  All the muddled thinking about 'fixed price', 'supply/demand', etc, etc and the consequent confusion goes out the window when one conceptualizes that.  Alas, not everyone is capable of doing so and clearly not that Coinlock dude.  Of course most people are not really capable of conceptualizing Bitcoin itself for the same basic lack of mental flexibility.  Or any form of 'money' really.

no.  Bitcoins are units that only exist on the MC.

Bingo!  We have a winner!  Repeat after me as many times as necessary:  'two...way...peg.  two...way...peg."  This 'exists on MC' is precisely what separates Sidchain coins from Bitcoin alts and work-a-likes.

anything else that rides on less secure SC's are who the hell knows what.

Granted in the earlier phases there will be a discount for this which will diminish as confidence increases.  There will also be a discount for the mechanical aspects of utilizing the peg.  But these things are minor and largely inconsequential to the conceptual basis of the solution.

The peg is an illusion.

I think you're just suffering some confusion. But I'm not sure exactly what.
^ this

No. I thought coinlock phrased it very well. Which is why nullc disappeared.
adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 11:21:14 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2014, 12:00:16 PM by adam3us

Thought cypherdoc might like this article by Daniel Krawisz

http://bitcoinist.net/the-two-ideologies-in-bitcoin/

I am sort of imagining it as what underlies his arguments that he doesnt like sidechains.

I think cypherdoc likely still mistaken (and Krawisz as ever makes interesting informed economic arguments).

If nothing else for those who view bitcoin as gold2.0 (and I do myself) then its in our interest actually that there not be code churn on bitcoin-core to add micro-payments, fancy contracts etc etc it's better to fix all the bugs, refactor and freeze the code.  Put the code churn onto other chains.  But having the other chains be non-bitcoin denominated detracts from bitcoin.  Hence... sidechains.

Further if extra features can go into sidechains, perhaps along the way bitcoin could do things to reduce centralisation reduce blocksize, and get rid of extraneous existing code complexity by refactoring some things off into a more featureful sidechain.

btw I read Krawisz as more saying investment utility is the predominant driver of bitcoin adoption, transactional uses secondary.

Anyway just some thoughts, not trying to reanimate the sub-thread.

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 11:28:42 AM

The peg is an illusion.

I think you're just suffering some confusion. But I'm not sure exactly what.
^ this

Uh I see I spoke too soon.  Seemingly the cypherdoc vs world sub-thread is still raging Smiley  (Wasnt reading thread for some weeks).

I think cypherdoc's skill is to be the right balance of adhominem, unexplained dismissive & occasional logic to cultivate a continuous flame war.  Otherwise called trolling I guess, easily recognisable form of entertainment for anyone who enjoyed USENET news flame wars of yore!  Flame wars are fun and all but I prefer constructive discussion.  Cypherdocs a clever fellow, I'm sure he has the smarts to hold a pure logic conversation if he chose.  Just the inner-troll is having too much fun trolling.

Anyway thats my view of whats going on.

Adam

ps and for the love of Mike trim quotes!

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:01:33 PM

Thought cypherdoc might like this article by Daniel Krawisz

http://bitcoinist.net/the-two-ideologies-in-bitcoin/

I am sort of imagining it as what underlies his arguments that he doesnt like sidechains.

I think thats likely still mistaken (and Krawisz as ever makes interesting informed economic arguments).

If nothing else for those who view bitcoin as gold2.0 (and I do myself) then its in our interest actually that there not be code churn on bitcoin-core to add micro-payments, fancy contracts etc etc it's better to fix all the bugs, refactor and freeze the code.  Put the code churn onto other chains.  But having the other chains be non-bitcoin denominated detracts from bitcoin.  Hence... sidechains.

Further if extra features can go into sidechains, perhaps along the way bitcoin could do things to reduce centralisation reduce blocksize, and get rid of extraneous existing code complexity by refactoring some things off into a more featureful sidechain.

btw I read Krawisz as more saying investment utility is the predominant driver of bitcoin adoption, transactional uses secondary.

Anyway just some thoughts, not trying to reanimate the sub-thread.

Adam

If you make a  commitment to stick around and address all my concerns instead of lobbing in a comment every hundred pages or so then maybe I'll take the effort to repeat everything I've already said. 
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:16:50 PM

for those who miss their daily SC's hit, go here for an excellent discussion btwn this guy Coinlock and nullc over on Reddit.  Coinlock gives some very clear and cogent arguments against the peg and shuts nullc down real quick:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qpdnc/gregory_maxwell_how_i_went_from_bitcoin_skeptic/cn8dne9
nullc :
About the only thing negative you can say about a system which is truly backed by Bitcoin is that it doesn't create huge incomes for traders. Many people wouldn't consider that much of a negative.

Does he heard about Soros?
When two things are pegged while they don't have the same economic features, then the pegged is temporary, and that creates profit opportunities and people prompted to accelerate the failure of the peg system.

It looks like sidechains people think because two things are pegged they magically become the same thing. From 1984 to 1997 the thai bath was pegged with the US dollar, that doesn't mean that the bath was the same thing than the dollar. Sooner or later the market forces end up destroying the top down price fixation.
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:31:55 PM

for those who miss their daily SC's hit, go here for an excellent discussion btwn this guy Coinlock and nullc over on Reddit.  Coinlock gives some very clear and cogent arguments against the peg and shuts nullc down real quick:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qpdnc/gregory_maxwell_how_i_went_from_bitcoin_skeptic/cn8dne9
nullc :
About the only thing negative you can say about a system which is truly backed by Bitcoin is that it doesn't create huge incomes for traders. Many people wouldn't consider that much of a negative.

Has he heard about Soros?
When two things are pegged while they don't have the same economic features, then the pegged is temporary, and that creates profit opportunities and people prompted to accelerate the failure of the peg system.

It looks like sidechains people think because two things are pegged they magically become the same thing. From 1984 to 1997 the thai bath was pegged with the US dollar, that doesn't mean that the bath was the same thing than the dollar. Sooner or later the market forces end up destroying the top down price fixation.

I don't think traditional currency peg apply. The mechanics behind these pegs are not solid and open to the failures you've illustrated.

The situation here is one where a sidechain unit has its equivalent in BTC collateral. A mathematically enforced 1:1 convertibility between both units. Each units' exchange rate value might differ but the protocol dictates that they are exchangeable 1:1 no matter their economic value. That is because for every unit on a sidechain there exist an equivalent amount of BTC locked in an "escrow" type transaction.

Theoretically (I may be wrong) but even if the perceived market value of the unit on a sidechain would come to 0 one could still return is sidecoin for its equivalent in BTC.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:33:12 PM

I don't see it that way.

I see you were happy about coinlock saying this...

Now super-risky-coin collapses, I lose my Bitcoin because the information about the relative risks was hidden in the deterministic rate.

To this I would say: you already lost your Bitcoins when you swapped them for super-risky-coins. That information isn't hidden at all. When you 'move' (it's debatable wether that's a good expression to use) BTC -> scBTC you're well aware you're swapping your bitcoins for sidechain coins, aren't you?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:33:14 PM

nullc :

Yep, that contorted remark by nullc is painfully naive.  He totally neglects the fact that these SC assets will have a  separate exchange price in fiat that certainly can and will be pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels. SC's don't solve any of those issues
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:34:41 PM

Sidechain coins are Bitcoins.

No. There's time (cost) and risk between the two.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:36:48 PM

nullc :

Yep, that contorted remark by nullc is painfully naive.  He totally neglects the fact that these SC assets will have a  separate exchange price in fiat that certainly can and will be pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels. SC's don't solve any of those issues

Please, we have been going over this times and times again. The exchange rate of a properly implemented 1:1 SC asset will, in time, closely track BTC prices for many logical reasons.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:43:32 PM

nullc :

Please, we have been going over this times and times again. The exchange rate of a properly implemented 1:1 SC asset will, in time, closely track BTC prices for many logical reasons.

'pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels'? Yeah, that's ridiculous. If the peg works, arbitrage would stop that kind of thing in its roots. Also: do you really thing there would be sidechainCoin <-> fiat exchange? I doubt that makes much sense since the peg plus existing bitcoin <-> fiat exchanges can easily be used, no?

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:43:34 PM

I don't see it that way.

Now super-risky-coin collapses, I lose my Bitcoin because the information about the relative risks was hidden in the deterministic rate.

To this I would say: you already lost your Bitcoins when you swapped them for super-risky-coins. That information isn't hidden at all. When you 'move' (it's debatable wether that's a good expression to use) BTC -> scBTC you're well aware you're swapping your bitcoins for sidechain coins, aren't you?

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 12:45:03 PM

I don't think traditional currency peg apply. The mechanics behind these pegs are not solid and open to the failures you've illustrated.

The situation here is one where a sidechain unit has its equivalent in BTC collateral. A mathematically enforced 1:1 convertibility between both units. Each units' exchange rate value might differ but the protocol dictates that they are exchangeable 1:1 no matter their economic value. That is because for every unit on a sidechain there exist an equivalent amount of BTC locked in an "escrow" type transaction.

Theoratically, and I might be wrong, but even if the perceived market value of the unit on a sidechain would come to 0 one could still return is sidecoin for its equivalent in BTC.
If markets are efficient then market value of pure 1:1 sidechains should only ever be *higher* than BTC.  They should never have the same market value.  The time delay via SPV to use the sidechain makes it such that there should be a premium on no-delay (bought from market).

We never did find out why the SC marketing folks are using the economically discredited term "peg", for something that is so very different from a peg in any traditional sense of the word.  It is bound to confuse people.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
brg444

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:45:39 PM

I don't see it that way.

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.

SC's would change some assumptions but most certainly not all.

It is also debatable whether those changes will hinder the Bitcoin blockchain or help it thrive.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:48:07 PM

nullc :

'pumped and manipulated to all sorts of illogical levels'? Yeah, that's ridiculous. If the peg works, arbitrage would stop that kind of thing in its roots. Also: do you really thing there would be sidechainCoin <-> fiat exchange? I doubt that makes much sense since the peg plus existing bitcoin <-> fiat exchanges can easily be used, no?

Yes, there should be markets that arise. Have you read Konrad Grafs paper? 
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:48:28 PM

I don't see it that way.

If that's a real question, then, but of course.  SC's mechanics are easy to understand. But economically do they work and will they be good for Bitcoin? The answer, I think, is more philosophical.

I think Bitcoin is, and has always been, simply  money. It has gotten to where it has based on economic assumptions of how the blockchain works currently. SC's change all those assumptions. That is a mistake, imo.

If people can be lured into thinking their scBTC are BTC (even just 'monetarily'), then yes, that's a danger. The same kind of danger as thinking mtgoxBTC are BTC.

going back to ccc now. side-note: the 'hacker crowd' seems much more open to Bitcoin than a year ago.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:51:24 PM

I don't see it that way.

SC's would change some assumptions and most certainly not all.

It is also debatable whether those changes will hinder the Bitcoin blockchain or help it thrive.

Those are very logical statements with which I agree. Clearly I have my opinions though. 
Pages: « 1 ... 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 [955] 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: