Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:00:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1197

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 09:02:57 PM

I think he means that anyone that allows a hard fork is in effect creating an altcoin.

Perhaps he should stick with "the real Bitcoin" from before the hard fork that created the 1 MB limit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 09:22:12 PM

MP will probably have more supporters than Gavin and Co. realize. There will be a schism.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 09:43:40 PM

Perhaps he should stick with "the real Bitcoin" from before the hard fork that created the 1 MB limit.
Hilarious how many people defend the 1 MB limit without realizing that it wasn't part of the original release.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:04:35 PM

Hilarious how many people defend the 1 MB limit without realizing that it wasn't part of the original release.

That would be a great infographic - Satoshi's 1st code - Todays code with adds /deletes

+1 but i guess it would be quite a mess ^^
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:05:49 PM

I would prefer 256k limit.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:11:41 AM

That was tried and it did not work. Users started to experience significant delays:

By default Bitcoin will not created blocks larger than 250kb even though it could do so without a hard fork. We have now reached this limit. Transactions are stacking up in the memory pool and not getting cleared fast enough.

What this means is, you need to take a decision and do one of these things:

• Start your node with the -blockmaxsize flag set to something higher than 250kb, for example -blockmaxsize=1023000. This will mean you create larger blocks that confirm more transactions. You can also adjust the size of the area in your blocks that is reserved for free transactions with the -blockprioritysize flag.
  • Change your nodes code to de-prioritize or ignore transactions you don't care about, for example, Luke-Jr excludes SatoshiDice transactions which makes way for other users.
  • Do nothing.

If everyone does nothing, then people will start having to attach higher and higher fees to get into blocks until Bitcoin fees end up being uncompetitive with competing services like PayPal.

If you mine on a pool, ask your pool operator what their policy will be on this, and if you don't like it, switch to a different pool.

Fortunately it was a soft-limit and only a few large mining pools needed to quickly do a change.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:02:04 AM

the problem here is that when the price doesn't conform to ppl's expectations, low level thinkers like tvbcof & even high level thinkers like Adam ...

Say, I was just thinking, wasn't it about a year ago I was moving some of my position out of Bitcoin and into USD and gold if I could figure out an expedient and cheap way to do it and telling everyone about my plans?

Why don't you be a sport, cyph, and tell everyone here how my ass tastes?

Link please.

The first I found was this, but there are probably more:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg3727919#msg3727919

Would you like to tell the boys and girls how my ass tastes?

People who listened to me (and cypherdoc) in the last half of 2011 were happy for it.  People who listened to me a year ago, same;  Cypherdip not so much.  As I say, he's a broken clock that is right by chance sometimes.  The big difference between me and cypherdoc is that I know full well how much luck is associated with my good calls.  A lot.  Cyph gives his brilliance the credit for all his calls that happened to work out and totally banishes those which didn't to his own personal memory hole.  Unfortunately for him not everyone does so so probably half of the traffic on 'his' thread here are people who get a kick out of seeing his bozo-the-clown act.

Did you think I did not believe you? Did you assume I would not believe you? I sincerely asked for a link, that is all.

Why would I care how your ass tastes like? Thanks for the inappropriate visual.

Your response does show a bit of arrogance and some sort of bad feelings toward cypherdoc.

Perhaps you were right. I have not read your link yet but I will and will give credit where credit is due.

Just because we all do not get price calls right doesn't mean anything other than we are all flawed in our ways.

I've made out pretty good with bit coin and crypto currency in general. So I have no complaints.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:45:32 AM

That was tried and it did not work. Users started to experience significant delays:

Delays in getting news that their Satoshi Dice bet was a failure.  However did they survive?

Lots of bugs were fixed in the early days.  This was one of the biggies.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1324
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:55:34 AM

Satoshi said himself 1mb blocksize can be raised later on.

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

When we're near the cutoff block number, I can put an alert to old versions to make sure they know they have to upgrade.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:26:22 AM

I miss the old kitco board. That was good times.

I never spent much time there (if any.)  I used to read the usagold forum pretty regularly until it shut down, but I never really participated.

In other news, I might be interested in trading somewhere in the 100 to 200 large USD's worth of BTC straight across for gold and/or silver sometime in January next year if nothing much changes.  If I do so, it will be in a way which protects my ass 100% and is totally legal.  Anyone who is interested is welcome to ping me to discuss the possibilities.  I'm not interested in a whole lot of smaller deals because this promises to be a hassle.  I'm only interested if the fees that I (and the other party) save make it worthwhile.

Do you have any other confirming info (links/quotes etc) about a deal or deals that you made to show you actually transacted as such in Jan?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:15:54 AM

I never spent much time there (if any.)  I used to read the usagold forum pretty regularly until it shut down, but I never really participated.

In other news, I might be interested in trading somewhere in the 100 to 200 large USD's worth of BTC straight across for gold and/or silver sometime in January next year if nothing much changes.  If I do so, it will be in a way which protects my ass 100% and is totally legal.  Anyone who is interested is welcome to ping me to discuss the possibilities.  I'm not interested in a whole lot of smaller deals because this promises to be a hassle.  I'm only interested if the fees that I (and the other party) save make it worthwhile.

Do you have any other confirming info (links/quotes etc) about a deal or deals that you made to show you actually transacted as such in Jan?

I didn't make any deals.  I did all my work through Coinbase.  It resulted in the shutdown of my Wells Fargo account, but they were not quick about it and I did more than the volumes I mentioned before getting shut down.  I've got a well documented thread somewhere outlining the details of that story, but this forum is to difficult to search.  If you really care (and I don't see why you would) knock yourself out.  I think all my posts are available if you wish to wade back through them.  I never delete posts.  If you want to see my bank statements, get a warrant.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:24:04 AM

I didn't make any deals.  I did all my work through Coinbase.  It resulted in the shutdown of my Wells Fargo account, but they were not quick about it and I did more than the volumes I mentioned before getting shut down.  I've got a well documented thread somewhere outlining the details of that story, but this forum is to difficult to search.  If you really care (and I don't see why you would) knock yourself out.  I think all my posts are available if you wish to wade back through them.  I never delete posts.  If you want to see my bank statements, get a warrant.

Buddy you sound really touchy. Why is that?

No I really do not care to do any research. I figure you make the claim you back it up with evidence and not more hand waving.

It looks to me like you are back pedaling on your claim and proof of it.

Dont worry it isnt like you need to convince me.  Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:55:24 AM

No I really do not care to do any research. I figure you make the claim you back it up with evidence and not more hand waving.

Dont worry it isnt like you need to convince me.  Roll Eyes

Not cross at all.  More amused than anything.

You are welcome to follow my work more closely to know my ways and pick up some knowledge and trading tips and stuff.  Some people probably have followed my lead and have been rewarded for doing so.

I doubt that many people are buying your suggestion that I'm being a poser or a hand-waver after you challenged me on a statement and I popped up info that put your suspicions to rest.  I actually could not give two shits less one way or another however.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:58:53 AM

Dont worry it isnt like you need to convince me.  Roll Eyes

Not cross at all.  More amused than anything.

You are welcome to follow my work more closely to know my ways and pick up some knowledge and trading tips and stuff.  Some people probably have followed my lead and have been rewarded for doing so.

I doubt that many people are buying your suggestion that I'm being a poser or a hand-waver after you challenged me on a statement and I popped up info that put your suspicions to rest.  I actually could not give two shits less one way or another however.

LOL wow you are a piece of work. No one is trolling you nor attacking you nor insulting you and yet you seem to have a problem. You make a claim, then get called out on it, you post some half-butt version of "proof" then get called out to provide actual evidence of it, then you run away from it saying someone should get a warrant lol.

In any case why don't you start your own thread so your masses of followers can follow you there so you can guide them with your infinite wisdom you supposedly have?

The info you supplied suggests you were tinkering with the idea of making a deal to convert your btc in Jan of 2014, not that it actually happened.

As I said you made the claim, now either back it up or please stfu. Thanks!  Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:12:07 AM

Satoshi said himself 1mb blocksize can be raised later on.

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

When we're near the cutoff block number, I can put an alert to old versions to make sure they know they have to upgrade.

Satoshi was either utterly clueless about the system level difficulties of which would be encountered, or he strongly suspected what would happen at hard-fork time and was trying to smooth things over when someone noticed his handiwork on limiting transaction rates to this level.  I like to think it was the latter but we may never know.

No matter how sharp/devious he was, I doubt that he could have accurately predicted certain things about ecosystem evolution and when what would be required to induce transaction fees.  He himself may have never envisioned transaction fees (other than to make a believable marketing story) and thus really did believe in increasing the transaction rate to make sure they never became a factor.  Or he may have wished them to occur and knew what a bitch it would be in reality to unroll his 1MB setting.  Life is full of mysteries.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:17:46 AM

You are welcome to follow my work more closely to know my ways and pick up some knowledge and trading tips and stuff.  Some people probably have followed my lead and have been rewarded for doing so.

I doubt that many people are buying your suggestion that I'm being a poser or a hand-waver after you challenged me on a statement and I popped up info that put your suspicions to rest.  I actually could not give two shits less one way or another however.

LOL wow you are a piece of work. No one is trolling you nor attacking you nor insulting you and yet you seem to have a problem. You make a claim, then get called out on it, you post some half-butt version of "proof" then get called out to provide actual evidence of it, then you run away from it saying someone should get a warrant lol.

In any case why don't you start your own thread so your masses of followers can follow you there so you can guide them with your infinite wisdom you supposedly have?

The info you supplied suggests you were tinkering with the idea of making a deal to convert your btc in Jan of 2014, not that it actually happened.

As I said you made the claim, now either back it up or please stfu. Thanks!  Grin

Nice try.  Your tactics are the kind of thing we all expect from cyperdoc.

When are you going to tell the good people how my ass tastes?

hardhouseinc

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

Most Advanced Crypto Exchange on the Blockchain

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 07:45:48 AM

Another BIG LOL at this thread when BTC is crashing harder and
harder every time I check.  I like my Gold I bought last year at $1300
that is only down $70 or so per oz.  Now BTC is down like $600 or more
since I bought in originally.  What exactly is crumbling, oh yah, BTC...
SIGH at this epic BTC fail lately Sad

▄▄▄▄
            ██████▄▄
            ██████████▄
            ████████████▄
       ▄▄███   ▀▀█████████▄
    ▄███████       ▀███████▌
  ▄█████████         ▀██████▌
 ▄██████████           ██████
▄███████████
████████████
████████████
████████████
▀███████████
 ▀██████████           ██████
  ▀█████████         ▄██████▌
    ▀███████       ▄███████▌
       ▀▀███   ▄▄█████████▀
            ████████████▀
            ██████████▀
            ██████▀▀
            ▀▀▀▀
|
CRYPTOCIRCLEX
THE MOST ADVANCED CRYPTO EXCHANGE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN
|

██ ██
███████████▄
  ███   ▀▀███
  ███     ▐██
  ███    ▄███
  ██████████▄
  ███    ▀▀███
  ███      ▐██
  ███     ▄███
████████████▀
    ██ ██
    ▀▀ ▀▀
#Forum ANN

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█  ▀▀     █ ▀█▄
█  ▀▀▀▀   █   ▀█
█         ▀▀▀▀▀█
█      ███▄    █
█   ▄██  ▀██   █
█  ▐███        █
█  ▐███        █
█   ▀██  ▄██   █
█      ███▀  █ █
█          ▀▀▀ █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#Whitepaper

▄█████
   ████▀▀▀
   ████
   ████
██████████
▀▀▀████▀▀
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ▀▀▀▀
#Facebook 

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
#Twitter         

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
#Medium     

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████
▐███████████████████████████▌
▐███████████  ▀█████████████▌
▐███████████     ▀██████████▌
▐███████████     ▄██████████▌
▐███████████  ▄█████████████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
 ███████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#YouTube   

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

#Telegram
|
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:00:31 AM

Nice try.  Your tactics are the kind of thing we all expect from cyperdoc.

You mean the tactic where I call you out and you run away?

Lol

Is it a custom in your part of the world to taste each other's asses?  Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:05:23 AM

Nice try.  Your tactics are the kind of thing we all expect from cyperdoc.

You mean the tactic where I call you out and you run away?

Lol

Is it a custom in your part of the world to taste each other's asses?  Grin

You did the exact same thing goat did.

1. Make a claim

2. Get called out in your claim

3. Provide no concrete proof of said claim

4. Then run away from the discussion acting like you could care less who believes you.

Lol déjà vu

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:24:12 AM

Another BIG LOL at this thread when BTC is crashing harder and
harder every time I check.  I like my Gold I bought last year at $1300
that is only down $70 or so per oz.  Now BTC is down like $600 or more
since I bought in originally.  What exactly is crumbling, oh yah, BTC...
SIGH at this epic BTC fail lately Sad

It was a good idea to diversify when you had a lot of bitcoins at the end of 2013 and early 2014. Gold is up for the year while we are suppose to be in a deflanationary environnement so imagine the performance it will have when we will be in an inflanationy environnement.

Maybe it is a good time to come back to the BTC market at those very cheap prices.
Pages: « 1 ... 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: