Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:21:02 AM

wow, more smartphone innovation on the horizon.  mobile is the bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTObCr4gnM&feature=youtu.be

This gives me tingles in my toes. Every cell phone can now be a hardware wallet that uses encrypted sms to broadcast. BitSim is my new favourite thing.

It's pretty awesome...

On the downside: what about privacy?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:41:47 AM

wow, more smartphone innovation on the horizon.  mobile is the bomb:

This gives me tingles in my toes. Every cell phone can now be a hardware wallet that uses encrypted sms to broadcast. BitSim is my new favourite thing.

It's pretty awesome...

Seeing as everything is encrypted it should be private even in contract phones. for the paranoid there are always pre paid phones.
In any case I dont see that need being terribly relavent for this market.

This is the beginning of the killer app era for bitcoin.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:58:57 AM

It's pretty awesome...

Seeing as everything is encrypted it should be private even in contract phones. for the paranoid there are always pre paid phones.

Thats what initially came to my mind. Interesting that the/a killer app would be based on technology, of a pre app era. Amazing rewind.  Cool

I now want to see this actually working.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:39:10 AM

When folks realize they can control their money and keep it absolutely secure, they will come.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 11:35:05 AM

It's pretty awesome...

Feels very positive lately, the inevitability of momentum. With every announcement like this I care less about the bear market.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 03:53:00 PM

Greece is escalating once again:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-20/did-greece-just-launch-capital-controls-mandatory-cash-transfer-decreed
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:09:48 PM

Grexit seems almost inevitable these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/apr/16/greece-moves-step-closer-to-grexit-after-imf-snub

After that all eyes will be on Spain and Podemos.

Spain won't vote anything radical. Although Podemos will be part of many governments in the next few years, it won't win any relevant election. Part of it is due to the fact that it won't gain support from the right now that TPTB are very obviously backing the "new" right-wing party Ciudadanos (Citizens). With the People's Party (PP) dead, with every treasurer in its history facing court, and employment recovery not yet clear, they were surely going to pull something out of the hat.

Be careful not to drop into the mainstream by what you hear in the media.

(oh, look, the stocks are bouncing and transports refuse to break down even with oil rallying for days, who would have thunk it?)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:44:58 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 05:26:30 PM by hdbuck

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/apr/16/greece-moves-step-closer-to-grexit-after-imf-snub

Spain won't vote anything radical. Although Podemos will be part of many governments in the next few years, it won't win any relevant election. Part of it is due to the fact that it won't gain support from the right now that TPTB are very obviously backing the "new" right-wing party Ciudadanos (Citizens). With the People's Party (PP) dead, with every treasurer in its history facing court, and employment recovery not yet clear, they were surely going to pull something out of the hat.

(oh, look, the stocks are bouncing and transports refuse to break down even with oil rallying for days, who would have thunk it?)

ORLY? euphemism much?

1 spanish out of 4 is unemployed: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/unemployment-rate
youth unemployement rate over 50% since 2012: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/youth-unemployment-rate
(and these are just "official" numbers.. )

Spain is drowning and TPTB is doing everything to maintain the status quo whilst enjoying canapés et petits fours over at Bruxelles.
Pretty much the same with all the governments in Europe. Cheesy
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:57:28 PM

ORLY? euphemism much?

1 spanish out of 4 is unemployed: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/unemployment-rate
youth unemployement rate over 50% since 2012: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/youth-unemployment-rate
(and these are just "official" numbers.. )

Spain is drowning and TPTB is doing everything to maintain the status quo whilst enjoying canapés et petits fours over at Bruxelles.
Pretty much the same with all the governments in Europe. Cheesy

If the US calculated unemployment the same way as Spain does, the US would be well above 25% unemployment today.

The US unemployment calculation has been modified and manipulated to show good numbers over the past 50 years. The headline number today is the U3 rate, but we used to show the U6 number which included underemployed as well. On top of this none of these numbers include people who dropped out of the workforce and are now on entitlements (which is unemployed). You add this all up and we are well past 25%. If the government ever runs out of entitlement money people are going to see just how bad the employment situation really is.

But we live in the era of twitter politics that generate headlines such as "Unemployment dropped to 5.6% under Obama", never mind the fact that Obama changed the calculation a bit to hit that number, and the number is complete bullshit.
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:07:57 PM

Thanks for this great Austrian-style analysis.

Yeah, you 2 have made my job alot easier these days. Thanks for that.

Thanks for maintaining a great thread. I used to be quite active at ZH '09-'13 and took solace there, but the ZH comment section significantly degenerated and all the decent original posters abandoned it which is a shame. This thread helps to fill that void....
lunarboy

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:56:06 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that, many people said the same of Syriza. Besides I wasn't really insinuating they would win los Generales. More that there is serious discontent in spain you only have to look at how many under 30's are leaving for South America, or the levels of youth unemployment to see that. With this strength they can apply some heavy political influence on whoever does win. I suspect a hung parliament with PP.

mainstream-media is a dirty word  Tongue
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:11:28 PM

Kansas Activist Could Face Felony Charges Because Her 11-Year-Old Son Challenged Anti-Pot Propaganda
http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/20/kansas-activist-could-face-felony-charge#.ofyk1n:vjid

and

Kansas Police Shutdown Cannabis Oil Activist's Facebook to Prevent her from raising money for her legal defense
http://kansasexposed.org/2015/04/17/kansas-police-shutdown-cannabis-oil-activists-facebook-to-prevent-her-from-raising-money-for-her-legal-defense/

If only we had some mechanism to transmit money without state control....
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:26:34 PM

If the US calculated unemployment the same way as Spain does, the US would be well above 25% unemployment today.

The US unemployment calculation has been modified and manipulated to show good numbers over the past 50 years. The headline number today is the U3 rate, but we used to show the U6 number which included underemployed as well. On top of this none of these numbers include people who dropped out of the workforce and are now on entitlements (which is unemployed). You add this all up and we are well past 25%. If the government ever runs out of entitlement money people are going to see just how bad the employment situation really is.

But we live in the era of twitter politics that generate headlines such as "Unemployment dropped to 5.6% under Obama", never mind the fact that Obama changed the calculation a bit to hit that number, and the number is complete bullshit.

Yes, the numbers are so distorted they have lost historical significance. 100 years ago government workers were counted as unemployed as they were funded from taxation, not the productive economy. Not only does the debt-based financial system need a reset button, so do economic statistics.

rocks
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:29:48 PM

Yes, the numbers are so distorted they have lost historical significance. 100 years ago government workers were counted as unemployed as they were funded from taxation, not the productive economy. Not only does the debt-based financial system need a reset button, so do economic statistics.

Really? That's awesome, I didn't know that. Any references? Not that it mattered to the calculation anyway since government workers only comprised an insignificant fraction of the working population.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

I know we are in liberterian territory on this forum, but that's a bit much.  Whether a service is provided by a private firm or the government doesn't really matter as long as the service is being provided (and at the same or a similar cost).  Obviously, it can be argued that the private sector allocates capital more efficiently, and that government structure leads to squandering, but considering every job that is paid by the government as non-existent is a clear error (inb4 every government job does harm).
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:13:41 PM

another alttime high for stocks comin up
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:29:43 PM

I know we are in liberterian territory on this forum, but that's a bit much.  Whether a service is provided by a private firm or the government doesn't really matter as long as the service is being provided (and at the same or a similar cost).  Obviously, it can be argued that the private sector allocates capital more efficiently, and that government structure leads to squandering, but considering every job that is paid by the government as non-existent is a clear error (inb4 every government job does harm).

Government jobs are not representative of production, they are representative of consumption.

That is not a statement that there should be no government jobs, there are of course a whole set of services that are required for a functioning society (courts, education, etc). But again, there are services for the well-being of a society, not production.

In viewing these services as production, we have allowed them to grow and grow and grow, to the point that the US consumes many more services than it produces. This works great as long as the US has a printing press combined with being the global reserve asset. But this over consumption of services is a misallocation of resources, services that are no longer supported by production.

Case in point, the decline of manufacturing and other blue collar jobs in the US, and the hollowing out of all opportunities for advancement for anyone not in the professional class. (with the exception of government jobs)
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 09:28:28 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2015, 11:12:39 PM by solex

Absolutely. I certainly don't think that government jobs "don't matter", and agree that some/many are essential to a stable society. It is a matter of how the employment statistics are increasingly tortured to make the case that unemployment is under control, and part of this is the millions of extra non-jobs created in the government sector in recent decades. Which then has the twin downsides of being unaffordable (perpetual deficits) and interventionist (cradle-to-grave nanny-state).

Really? That's awesome, I didn't know that. Any references? Not that it mattered to the calculation anyway since government workers only comprised an insignificant fraction of the working population.

No direct references to hand, I just recall reading it a few times. Probably more of an interpretation from data, such as the census below, when GW was indeed a smaller percentage of the total.

Example: the US 1940 census
The instructions to enumerators for column 30 give five codes for "Class of Worker":
PW—a person who worked for a wage under the direction of an employer
E—an employer, who employed one or more helpers
GW—government worker
OA—own account, such as a lawyer with no hired help
NP—unpaid family member whose work contributed to the family income, such as in a family store

The census clearly separates GW from other types of employment, then it is up to the user of the stats to interpret what is full or productive employment.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 09:58:36 PM

Government jobs are not representative of production, they are representative of consumption.

That is not a statement that there should be no government jobs, there are of course a whole set of services that are required for a functioning society (courts, education, etc). But again, there are services for the well-being of a society, not production.

In viewing these services as production, we have allowed them to grow and grow and grow, to the point that the US consumes many more services than it produces. This works great as long as the US has a printing press combined with being the global reserve asset. But this over consumption of services is a misallocation of resources, services that are no longer supported by production.

Case in point, the decline of manufacturing and other blue collar jobs in the US, and the hollowing out of all opportunities for advancement for anyone not in the professional class. (with the exception of government jobs)

Those are just "services", not like if the governments are doing a helluva job "teaching" the poor kids anyway.. Still, taxes are increasing, one way or another.

Governments will ultimately go too far on the cash cow.. Corporacy lurking good. Google is more influent than USG already. ^^
farting_shot

Activity: 318
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 11:02:33 PM

Agreed 1000%, fuck gov't!
Pages: « 1 ... 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: