Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:58:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:45:12 PM

Bitcoin represents a fundamental change in the very fiber of the social order from which regimes are woven. I and I'm sure several other people have been predicting this for quite some time: incentives to ally oneself with the state break down when you can hold and transact money with complete secrecy.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lunarboy

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:48:01 PM

This made me laugh.  Could the Ross verdict now get overturned becasue of this?... That would be side side-splitting funny.

Almost as funny as being called 'Carl Mark Force IV'   sounds like a German physics scale.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:51:39 PM

Bitcoin represents a fundamental change in the very fiber of the social order from which regimes are woven. I and I'm sure several other people have been predicting this for quite some time: incentives to ally oneself with the state break down when you can hold and transact money with complete secrecy.
http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/bitcoins-rugged-individualism/
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 05:53:53 PM

Awesome.  The Bitcoin virus infects the King's Men of Babylon, even as the Ancien Régime rages and demands something Be Done to eradicate the perturbance...   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:06:24 PM

I didn't check but I assume this is the article where Daniel says even gvt officials might already be co-opted into the Bitcoin community. I agree.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:25:27 PM

I didn't check but I assume this is the article where Daniel says even gvt officials might already be co-opted into the Bitcoin community. I agree.
Actually I guess no. Here it is :

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/bitcoins-shroud-of-subtlety-and-allure/#allure
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 10:31:40 PM

Actually I guess no. Here it is :

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/bitcoins-shroud-of-subtlety-and-allure/#allure

The cumulative breakdown of official "vertical" relationships into informal ad hoc "horizontal" ones (IE grey/black/shadow markets) is enormously corrosive to calcified Late Empire structures of coercion.  The most spectacular recent example is the fall of the Soviet Union:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900922&slug=1094485

Saturday, September 22, 1990

Soviet Union's `Shadow Economy' -- Bribery, Barter, Black-Market Deals Are The Facts Of Life

By David Remnick
Washington Post

MOSCOW - While the Soviet Union's legislators and theorists ponder the vistas of a revolutionary economic-reform program, the people of this country live like hunter-gatherers in a real-world economy that is half desert, half medieval bazaar.

The official structures of the Bolshevik experiment are collapsing with such finality, the state-run shops are so barren, that nearly everyone now must participate in the immense ``shadow economy'' of speculation and petty bribery, barter deals and black-marketeers.

President Mikhail Gorbachev has proposed sweeping economic change to a form of market economy - a measure the Supreme Soviet is scheduled to vote on Monday. But that's the future; for today, life for the average Soviet citizen is a struggle for survival.

The demands of the ``shadow economy'' trace a Soviet lifetime. A child comes into the world with the mother paying a 200-ruble bribe to the maternity nurse for a sterile needle and an anesthetic. When a Soviet citizen dies, relatives are overcome not only with grief but with the knowledge that they must pay thousands of rubles in bribes to the mortician, the coffin maker and the gravedigger.

The law and its protectors are also involved in the web of survival. A few months ago, a Soviet traffic cop waved down a Western correspondent. The officer said the correspondent had been driving too fast and had to pay a 10-ruble fine on the spot. Using a time-honored method, the reporter collapsed into pidgin Russian and feigned incomprehension.

``Well, that's OK,'' said the cop, reaching into his coat pocket. ``Would you like to buy some good black caviar?''

There is nothing new about the black market in the Soviet Union. There have always been shortages - and then illegal dealers to fill the gap for the right price. The Soviet economy has never worked efficiently enough to put black-marketeers out of business. But talking about the black market was taboo. When Konstantin Simis, an attorney and professor of law until he emigrated to the United States in 1977, was working in Moscow on an early draft of his book ``U.S.S.R.: The Corrupt Society,'' the KGB confiscated the manuscript.

What was once heresy is now the conventional wisdom. In the text of presidential adviser Stanislav Shatalin's 500 Day economic-reform program, a section on the ``shadow economy'' admits that to some degree the black market has been a ``necessary adjunct'' to the old ``administrative-command'' system. It estimates that the ``shadow economy'' accounts for 15 or 20 percent of the gross national product.

There are several levels of the ``shadow economy,'' ranging from the pure exploitation and manipulation of shortages by party bureaucrats to the ``half-legal'' workers who provide services that simply cannot be obtained on the legal, state market, from construction work to auto repair.

Imagine if they had Bitcoin instead of rubles!  Communism would have been dead in less than a year.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 12:31:39 AM

Dratel should have worked to postpone the case until this info came out.  it could have influenced the final verdict.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 12:48:06 AM

Dratel should have worked to postpone the case until this info came out.  it could have influenced the final verdict.

That's only the case if Dratel GAS about due process.

If he only cared about running a show trial and hanging DRP ASAP, he'd let the govt get away with anything they want.  IOW, exactly what happened.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 12:52:57 AM

These guys that worked this case and/or investigated for it had to learn a thing or two about bitcoin and probably encountered many smart people that gave them some pointers. I'm sure most of these agents are fairly well off buy probably have an idea that having some coins is a great enhancement to their pensions and 401k as they know a finite amount of something is a groovy thing.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 01:01:05 AM

These guys that worked this case and/or investigated for it had to learn a thing or two about bitcoin and probably encountered many smart people that gave them some pointers. I'm sure most of these agents are fairly well off buy probably have an idea that having some coins is a great enhancement to their pensions and 401k as they know a finite amount of something is a groovy thing.

good money is starting to drive out bad.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:26:38 AM

some would say SR started the rally of 2013.  perhaps it starts the rally of 2015?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:51:20 AM

i really like the look of these:

and silverbox's favorite at 1/10 of where he was touting it:

Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 06:22:33 AM

DXY is starting to go down but won't do it without a fight as we're seeing. Good chance this will affect Bitcoin too. Markets will turn around pretty soon I think. Smiley
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:42:35 AM

My gaud;

The government’s considerable efforts at keeping this monumental scandal from being aired at Ross Ulbricht’s trial is itself scandalous. In addition to keeping any information about the investigation from the defense for nearly nine months, then revealing it only five weeks prior to trial, and then moving to keep sealed and secret the general underlying information so that Mr. Ulbricht could not use it in his defense at trial, and then stymying the defense at every turn during trial when the defense tried to introduce favorable evidence, the government had also refused to agree to the defense’s request to adjourn the trial until after the indictment was returned and made public – a modest adjournment of a couple of months, since it was apparent that the investigation was nearing a conclusion. Throughout Mr. Ulbricht’s trial the government repeatedly used the secret nature of the grand jury investigation as an excuse to preclude valuable defense evidence that was not only produced in discovery, independent of the investigation of Mr. Force, but also which was only at best tenuously related to that investigation. In that manner the government deprived the jury of essential facts, and Mr. Ulbricht of due process. In addition, the government failed to disclose previously much of what is in the Complaint, including that two federal law enforcement agents involved in the Silk Road investigation were corrupt. It is clear from this Complaint that fundamentally the government’s investigation of Mr. Ulbricht lacked any integrity, and was wholly and fatally compromised from the inside. Also, it is clear that Mr. Force and others within the government obtained access to the administrative platforms of the Silk Road site, where they were able to commandeer accounts and had the capacity to change PIN numbers and other aspects of the site – all without the government’s knowledge of what precisely they did with that access. In light of the information provided in the Complaint, it is now apparent to all just how relevant some of the issues raised by the defense at trial were, including the payment by Dread Pirate Roberts to a law enforcement agent for information about the investigation, the ramping up of the investigation of Mr. Ulbricht in mid-2013, soon after that paid information began flowing, and the creation of certain evidence at trial, such as the 2013 journal that conveniently begins – again – in Spring 2013, after the corruption alleged in this Complaint ripened. As the evidence at trial – particularly from the government’s law enforcement witnesses – demonstrated, the Baltimore investigation and agents were inextricably involved in the evolution of the case and the evidence, as well as with alerting Mark Karpeles that he was under investigation, and meeting with his lawyers and exchanging information. At Mr. Ulbricht’s trial, knowing full well the corruption alleged in the Complaint made public today, the government still aggressively precluded much of that evidence, and kept it from the jury (and had other similar evidence stricken from the record). Consequently, the government improperly used the ongoing grand jury process in San Francisco as both a sword and a shield to deny Mr. Ulbricht access to and use of important evidence, and a fair trial.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:31:48 AM

I don't know how anyone reads this SR shit and fails to feel unease. How safe are we really?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 09:53:44 AM

I don't know how anyone reads this SR shit and fails to feel unease. How safe are we really?

... well you got to wonder about the Judge for sure, and probably higher ups too. Having money in a seizable bank account makes little sense at this point given the wanton disregard of rule of law all about the place.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:39:12 AM

Is there a common law precedent that a reasonable foreknowledge of the lack of the rule of law and possibility of a fair trial in the country, gives you the warrant to disregard existing laws to the extent when obeying them would only endanger you and other people to and in the hands of the unlawful system?

Or is this the very definition of being an outlaw?

Actually, there is. Christians (among others) were outlaws in The Third Reich. Bonhoeffer took the sword against the system. v. Moltke did not. Both were martyred. But the evil actions by the government were later condemned, and perpetrators put to death as well.

I would strongly advise Christians to physically depart from the United States now, and quit participating in the evil actions of their usurper government, lest you fall with them. God's patience is long but not infinite; He has promised to judge evil, and will do so.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 12:17:12 PM

Having money in a seizable bank account makes little sense at this point given the wanton disregard of rule of law all about the place.
On that same subject, it's worth taking some extra precautions with your bitcoins too.

Have some btc savings locked up in multisig outputs which you can not spend without the cooperation of friends (who are scattered across multiple independent legal jurisdictions) so that at least some of your money is safe even if you are physically incapacitated.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 02:02:48 PM

This is where BTC goes tits up, when someone pulls the plug -

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-31/massive-blackout-hits-turkey-grounding-planes-stopping-subways-terror-not-ruled-out

Holding some wealth in physical form always recommended.
Pages: « 1 ... 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: