Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:13:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 [873] 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:23:07 PM

Unlike most detractors in here, Adam Back and Austin Hill's track record speak for themselves.
You're definitely new here, or else you'd recognize that exact same argument has been run by each and every single long-con scammer and ponzi operator going back to Pirate@40 until the present day.

Are you getting paid to discredit Blockstream?

well, another way to look at them is that they both admittedly missed the Bitcoin train in the beginning and only came around in 2013.  how visionary is that?

Roll Eyes

A technology that Adam Back developed is being leveraged in Bitcoin. Austin Hill has been working on zero-knowledge system since before you probably know they existed.

You really want to debate who is the visionary here?

I'd also like to know if you plan to respond to everyone who has thoroughly debunked your claims in the past 3-5 pages

well, i recognized Bitcoin for what is was in Jan 2011 and acted on it.  there is no debate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:23:58 PM

Unlike most detractors in here, Adam Back and Austin Hill's track record speak for themselves.
You're definitely new here, or else you'd recognize that exact same argument has been run by each and every single long-con scammer and ponzi operator going back to Pirate@40 until the present day.

well, another way to look at them is that they both admittedly missed the Bitcoin train in the beginning and only came around in 2013.  how visionary is that?

Roll Eyes

A technology that Adam Back developed is being leveraged in Bitcoin. Austin Hill has been working on zero-knowledge system since before you probably know they existed.

I'd also like to know if you plan to respond to everyone who has thoroughly debunked your claims in the past 3-5 pages

you're a legend in your own mind.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:29:34 PM

Roll Eyes

and you're a fraud in your own thread

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:33:38 PM

Roll Eyes

i'm sure everyone's here to read you then, right?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:34:54 PM

well, another way to look at them is that they both admittedly missed the Bitcoin train in the beginning and only came around in 2013.  how visionary is that?

Roll Eyes

yawp
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:42:44 PM

Yes but right now the price of GOLD depends on whats happens to the Gold referendum with the CHF.

Its massive news at the moment.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:44:19 PM

well, another way to look at them is that they both admittedly missed the Bitcoin train in the beginning and only came around in 2013.  how visionary is that?
That's a very good point, and they still haven't jumped into the fray. Perhaps some old cypherpunks just get tired of fighting the system. Bitcoin needs new blood and sharp minds to build useful tools. I would prefer to see some unity amongst the old vanguard to lead them.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
brg444

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:46:32 PM

Roll Eyes

Me, zerg, Erdogan, molecular, Peter, ZB, NL, notme, even Adrian.

Anyone who hasn't parrotted the same blatantly false assumptions for the last 200 pages despite being proven wrong multiple time by multiple people.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:46:52 PM

Yes but right now the price of GOLD depends on whats happens to the Gold referendum with the CHF.

Its massive news at the moment.

the referendum is on the 31st no? anyway, could also have 0 impact. referendum lately tend not to be so game changing. scotland's independance for example...
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 10:57:02 PM

Roll Eyes

Anyone who hasn't parrotted the same blatantly false assumptions for the last 200 pages despite being proven wrong with multiple people.

Calling someone stupid and telling them they don't get it without a rebuttal doesn't make you correct.
Repeating you position and changing topic doesn't make you smart, sure helps people understand your view but is not perfect far from it it requires more reflection and you could challenge it by assuming most of it isn't fact.

All I here is noise and a lot of it.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
brg444

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:00:45 PM

Roll Eyes

Anyone who hasn't parrotted the same blatantly false assumptions for the last 200 pages despite being proven wrong with multiple people.

Calling someone stupid and telling them they don't get it without a rebuttal doesn't make you correct.
Repeating you position and changing topic doesn't make you smart, sure helps people understand your view but is not perfect far from it it requires more reflection and you could challenge it by assuming most of it isn't fact.

All I see in the last few pages are rebuttal to cypher's claims with facts and well opinionated arguments.

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:21:41 PM

Roll Eyes

All I see in the last few pages are rebuttal to cypher's claims with facts and well opinionated arguments.

It was the same in 2011 people were board with Bitcoin. The SoV idea wasn't clear then people wanted the do something with there BTC it was amazing after all. People came up with lots of innovative ideas and many tested them out and built new tools. They failed not because of the reasons you think. They succeeded in igniting imagination, they failed for many reasons.

All I see is people starting to get a little board, and some amazing imagination ignition, this time it's way more fantastic it solves previous points of failure. Only it doesn't, it requires we give up the previous protocol and adopt new incentives. And I I may not be able to sit it out.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
sickpig
Legendary

Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:23:53 PM

I am not a fan of Gavin's current Max Blocksize proposal.  

I've been following your scalability proposal in the Technical Discussion section.  You want to see the max block size adjusted based on blockchain feedback (closed loop), whereas Gavin proposes an open-loop solution.  One risk with Gavin's solution is that it assumes historical growth rates for internet bandwidth will continue moving forward in time.  One risk with your proposal is that it introduces another feedback term into what is surely a nonlinear system (right now the only feedback term is Bitcoin's difficulty adjustment). 

By the way, has anyone heard from DeathAndTaxes?  I'd love to hear his view on both sidechains and scalability. 

me too.

I've just checked his profile and his last login was on October 7th, last post on 29 of August...

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:32:43 PM

That's a very good point, and they still haven't jumped into the fray. Perhaps some old cypherpunks just get tired of fighting the system. Bitcoin needs new blood and sharp minds to build useful tools. I would prefer to see some unity amongst the old vanguard to lead them.

Hal Finney commented on this:

...I've noticed that cryptographic graybeards (I was in my mid 50's) tend to get cynical. I was more idealistic; I have always loved crypto, the mystery and the paradox of it.

When Satoshi announced Bitcoin on the cryptography mailing list, he got a skeptical reception at best. Cryptographers have seen too many grand schemes by clueless noobs. They tend to have a knee jerk reaction.

I was more positive....

Adam Back, Szabo, and Ray Dillinger (and some others) have all joined the bitcoin community in one way or another in the past year or so. I think Hal was probably spot-on when he noted that "cryptographic graybeards tend to get cynical", and it therefore took the crazy growth that bitcoin had last year to crack that cynicism and cause these guys to get serious about Bitcoin. Ray and Wei Dai have both said that they've been very surprised that Bitcoin took off.

Or maybe most of them had just "moved on to other things".

Regardless, I would indeed prefer if the Blockstream guys personally held a non-trivial quantity of bitcoin. Maybe they do?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
brg444

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:38:03 PM

It was the same in 2011 people were board with Bitcoin. The SoV idea wasn't clear then people wanted the do something with there BTC it was amazing after all. People came up with lots of innovative ideas and many tested them out and built new tools. They failed not because of the reasons you think. They succeeded in igniting imagination, they failed for many reasons.

All I see is people starting to get a little board, and some amazing imagination ignition, this time it's way more fantastic it solves previous points of failure. Only it doesn't, it requires we give up the previous protocol and adopt new incentives. And I I may not be able to sit it out.

Did you read this blog post :

http://wefivekingsblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-universe-wants-one-exchange.html

Do you not agree that maybe money/SOV is all we should aspire Bitcoin to be?

I agree with you that it changes the incentives.

I think I have formulated a reasonable argument for why it actually may improve them and actually secure them in the future.

You have expressed your opinion in that you believe, if I understand it right, that this change opens the door for possible attack scenarios on the network that were not possible before.

I think these are two ideas that will be debated by others and hopefully by the few who will make the decision to implement the code and ultimately, the miners.

My opinion is the prospect of losing incentives is worse for the security of the network than changing their implementation

sickpig
Legendary

Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:42:44 PM

i would rather see gvts and orgs like the IMF have to buy BTC to use as reserves.  that would take us to the Moon:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2248419

i still see SC's as a way to break Bitcoin's money function by allowing a gvt sponsored currency to siphon BTC to SC w/o having to pay for them.  we need that the price ramps to sustain mining fees and establish Bitcoin as its own global independent currency.  forget asset toys.  as it is, Wall St is the only one who needs or wants those types of toys in the first place with a minority of Americans invested in these things.  even less by foreigners.  what ppl should want and need is Sound Money.  that is what this project is all about, imo.  and the nice thing is anyone who's currently in the Bitcoin system can just sit back, relax, and wait for it to happen.  the price charts still tell me we are destined for greatness.

sorry cypher I'm slow, could you please explain to me how the bolded part is possible?  (serious question)

as i said, imo, the mere insertion of the spvp into the source code throws the whole notion of Bitcoin as Sound Money out the window b/c it allows the separation of the BTC currency unit from its ultra-secure blockchain ledger.  once that's done, all the SC's that have bolted onto Bitcoin can sit back and absorb all the BTC that might be tempted to leave the mainchain.  we also would know that there is a for-profit entity out there (Blockstream) who is in position to influence the continued development of these very SC threats to encourage this dynamic for profit generation.  is there an additional independent way for a gvt sponsored currency to encourage flight to itself?  maybe, use your imagination.  i can think of a few.

thanks for the answer.

so the thing that worry you the most is that once a btc is transferred (locked) something bad could happen (a flaw in the math behind the spvp, an 51% attack on the SC) hence the btc will be stuck in a limbo, am I right?

or do you think that the degree of separation introduced by the sidechain is enough to broke the link (peg) between the btc  tokens (currency) and the hashing power ("commodity"/"gold")?

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:46:43 PM

With altcoins we have that fear.  But with Sidechains we don't even have to merge popular functions back into the MC, because they use a token scBTC that is pegged to BTC. So if the sidechain becomes popular, it creates demand for BTC to be locked and represented by scBTC which drives up the price of BTC.  

Maybe I missed discussion of it, but a few thousand pages ago I noted that the bolded part above is not necessarily the case since the exchange rate can be defined by "any deterministic function". To me, that's most of the problem. I used this example before, but say a fantastic sidechain is developed with a 1:1000 exchange rate, and a limit of 100M sidechain coins. Once 100,000 BTC move over, that's it. Demand for the sidecoin no longer feeds back into demand for bitcoin because it's de-facto no longer possible to get sidecoin by locking bitcoin. Am I missing something here?

Assuming I'm not missing anything, then all pegs which are not unlimited 1:1 pegs basically just define separate alt-coins, but alt-coins which can bootstrap off of bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
brg444

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

Hal Finney commented on this:

...I've noticed that cryptographic graybeards (I was in my mid 50's) tend to get cynical. I was more idealistic; I have always loved crypto, the mystery and the paradox of it.

When Satoshi announced Bitcoin on the cryptography mailing list, he got a skeptical reception at best. Cryptographers have seen too many grand schemes by clueless noobs. They tend to have a knee jerk reaction.

I was more positive....

Adam Back, Szabo, and Ray Dillinger (and some others) have all joined the bitcoin community in one way or another in the past year or so. I think Hal was probably spot-on when he noted that "cryptographic graybeards tend to get cynical", and it therefore took the crazy growth that bitcoin had last year to crack that cynicism and cause these guys to get serious about Bitcoin. Ray and Wei Dai have both said that they've been very surprised that Bitcoin took off.

Or maybe most of them had just "moved on to other things".

Regardless, I would indeed prefer if the Blockstream guys personally held a non-trivial quantity of bitcoin. Maybe they do?

Nick Szabo has been into Bitcoin since way back I believe

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:57:15 PM

I'm just trying to make incremental progress in my understanding by answering the question "on which ledger is the value stored?"  The probability that the 2-way peg is severed is a different discussion.

I think the probability of the 2-way peg being severed is actually central to the definition of "sidechain" vs. "altcoin," and for practical purposes determines investment behavior in the chain.

On one end of the spectrum, if a sidechain's 2-way peg can be severed at the whim of the sidechain devs, it would essentially be an altcoin and would presumably attract about as much investment as altcoins do (not a threat to Bitcoin).

At the other end of the spectrum, if it's mathematically impossible to sever the 2wp, then it is a true sidechain and the value seems to always remain with the Bitcoin ledger (not a threat to Bitcoin, at least not for this reason).

For cases in between, we cannot really call it a true sidechain, and by the same token we cannot really expect substantial portions of the bitcoin holders to just jump over to the sidechain.

In other words, there's a reasoning error to watch out for here: insofar as the value that could be funneled over to the sidechain relies on the certainty that the 2wp will remain, the concern is self-defeating. If there is any shadow of possibility that the 2wp could be broken, it won't attract that many bitcoins - not much more than any altcoin; and if any sidechain does attract a large portion of the bitcoins, it will only be because the 2wp is as certain of a thing in investors' minds as Bitcoin itself is, which is an extremely high bar.

(This does still leave the possibility that the devs could hamstring Bitcoin deliberately to reduce confidence in Bitcoin to bring it in line with confidence in a not completely solid 2wp so that many people would switch despite some uncertainty. However, this is a much smaller argument to be making.)

Great post as usual, ZB.  I mostly1 agree: the amount of bitcoins that move to a sidechain will depend, in part, on the credibility of the 2-way peg.  And, realistically, it will probably take years for any sidechain to establish enough credibility to attract a significant amount of bitcoins (assuming OP_SIDECHAINPROOFVERIFY is implemented, and even this could take a few years if it happens at all).  So I suspect any migration of economic activity away from the Blockchain to be slow and anti-climactic.    

Hypothetical Question: If we assume (perhaps unrealistically) that the 2-way peg is unbreakable and if we also assume (again, perhaps unrealistically) that the security of Bitcoin's blockchain remains unchanged with sidechains, what additional risks do sidechains impose?  The risks I can see are (a) that sidechains could be used as an "excuse" to avoid addressing Bitcoin's scalability, thereby making the likelihood of an uber sidechain absorbing all the bitcoin more likely (along with the possible shenanigans that such an event might entail), and (b) that it sets a precedent that soft-forking changes to add new "features" are OK.

1I think even if one assumes the 2-way peg is unbreakable, that value is still stored on the sidechain ledger (at least) in the extreme case where the majority of coins and economic activity take place on that sidechain.  If everyone moves out of bitcoin and onto the sidechain, then the Blockchain no longer serves its memory function--it becomes superseded by the sidechain's ledger.

We have to assume that the 2-way peg is unbreakable. Same as bitcoin blockchain is unbreakable.

Bitcoin’s blockheaders can be regarded as an example of a dynamic-membership multi-party signature
(or DMMS), which we consider to be of independent interest as a new type of group signature.

spvp is new type of group signature (it can replace ECDSA M-of-N multi-signature)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:59:01 PM

i would rather see gvts and orgs like the IMF have to buy BTC to use as reserves.  that would take us to the Moon:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2248419

i still see SC's as a way to break Bitcoin's money function by allowing a gvt sponsored currency to siphon BTC to SC w/o having to pay for them.  we need that the price ramps to sustain mining fees and establish Bitcoin as its own global independent currency.  forget asset toys.  as it is, Wall St is the only one who needs or wants those types of toys in the first place with a minority of Americans invested in these things.  even less by foreigners.  what ppl should want and need is Sound Money.  that is what this project is all about, imo.  and the nice thing is anyone who's currently in the Bitcoin system can just sit back, relax, and wait for it to happen.  the price charts still tell me we are destined for greatness.

sorry cypher I'm slow, could you please explain to me how the bolded part is possible?  (serious question)

as i said, imo, the mere insertion of the spvp into the source code throws the whole notion of Bitcoin as Sound Money out the window b/c it allows the separation of the BTC currency unit from its ultra-secure blockchain ledger.  once that's done, all the SC's that have bolted onto Bitcoin can sit back and absorb all the BTC that might be tempted to leave the mainchain.  we also would know that there is a for-profit entity out there (Blockstream) who is in position to influence the continued development of these very SC threats to encourage this dynamic for profit generation.  is there an additional independent way for a gvt sponsored currency to encourage flight to itself?  maybe, use your imagination.  i can think of a few.

thanks for the answer.

so the thing that worry you the most is that once a btc is transferred (locked) something bad could happen (a flaw in the math behind the spvp, an 51% attack on the SC) hence the btc will be stuck in a limbo, am I right?

or do you think that the degree of separation introduced by the sidechain is enough to broke the link (peg) between the btc  tokens (currency) and the hashing power ("commodity"/"gold")?

i think the spvp breaks the sound money function by allowing the delinking of BTC units from the blockchain.  it also encourages the transformation of BTC to speculative SC's that offer assets of all manner (stocks, bonds, etc).  these assets do not represent money and are not liquid.  Bitcoin will no longer be simply money.  it will be a mix of money and assets.  much like a Fidelity or eTrade trading platform.  as a result, i doubt it ever gets treated as its own currency on Forex.  and i doubt it ever gains Sound Money status like gold once had.  THAT is a shame b/c that is what i thought this project was all about.  replacing fiat money with a digital gold standard.
Pages: « 1 ... 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 [873] 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: