Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:45:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285064 times)
Comepradz

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:06:44 PM

Wow great stuff dude Shocked

Can it booted from PXE?
Because I think it would be great, so all we need is just setup one master server that holds entire worker nodes. It would be easier to scale up this cluster easily. Wink

Just as for real case, someone made custom distro for Folding@home and have it booted with PXE --> http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/diskless.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elcasey

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 07:37:05 PM

I would love to see PXE support on this. I downloaded .1a and couldn't get it working (UNetBootin kept saying the kernel image was missing or corrupt) but I'll try .1b now. Hoping this ends up being great, seems to have so much potential.

Does this support multiple GPUs out of the box, or will I need to do some CLI config? I'm not ignorant when it comes to Linux in general but I am currently ignorant about mining with Linux, so patience is appreciated. Wink

Thanks for your efforts!
dmp1ce

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 07:41:16 PM

It recognized my 2 6990 cards and all 4 GPUs.  I didn't have to change anything except for untaring the license file.  I'm still trying to get persistence to work, and then I would ditch all of my hard disks that I had been using.

BTCmon - Support great bitcoin apps
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 03:06:41 PM

cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64  running in xterm changes to that folder.
But tar icd-registration.tgz -C /   gives error, saying   

tar: you may not specify more than one 'Acdtrux' or '--test-label' option
Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

What do to?
dmp1ce

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2011, 03:14:20 PM

cd /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64  running in xterm changes to that folder.
But tar icd-registration.tgz -C /   gives error, saying   

tar: you may not specify more than one 'Acdtrux' or '--test-label' option
Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

What do to?
I believe this is a typo and you should use "tar -xzvf icd-registration.tgz -C /"  or something like that.  The flags for unzipping the tgz are missing form the command.

BTCmon - Support great bitcoin apps
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 03:32:46 PM

Yep tis was a typo lol Cheesy Sorry I should really put that on the first post in this thread. But the new version is getting close already now so was just going to fix and upload.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 03:36:16 PM

It took me a lot of hell, to work with Linux. I am not blaming Linux or Linuxcoin, i am complete newbie to Linux.
Besides, i have only one monitor now & i connected 2 systems to it & my main system is mining which can't be stopped.
With 2nd computer & my bad, broken keyboard, 7, y , u & some other key won't work until pressed with an hammer.
Really funny today working with a broken keyboard & trying to set the keyboard to US, by connecting from linuxcoin pc to main pc instead of switch using 2 lan cards & bridging them.....................
tired.

Still, i am impressed with this linux, the above post abt tar is typed from that pc only, which made me tired by giving wrong password due to broken keyboard, which didn't allow me to login to forum to post until a long fight.

Is CUDA supported? I downloaded cuda for linux form Nvidia & it is a .run file, which i don't know how to run.

Why no shutdown & logout, logs out of one theme with "B" coin image to debian replacing start & again logout , login to debian only.
How to shutdown or login to "B" user or theme or whatever it is.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 03:38:18 PM

Seems Linuxcoin tested me instead of me testing Linuxcoin. Want to try new version soon.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 04:02:34 PM

Seems Linuxcoin tested me instead of me testing Linuxcoin. Want to try new version soon.

lol Yes I would wait because when I initially created the first release I had an idea in my head that every miner would be familiar with linux and wasn't really designing this for the average Joe. But as the feedback started to come in I've realized that this OS could be so much more. So "MK2" has been designed with the average user in mind. I'm looking to secure a little web space and setup a repo for this distro so I can keep it lightweight and people can install what they like when they need to.

Also I'm sort of happy that most ATI hardware is supported now and I wanted to get ATI out of the way before starting anything else because 99% of the mining population use ATI cards as they suit this type of math a lot better than Nvidia.

Nvidia cards will be supported in the near future but got to make some decisions on how this is all going to work and I'm working alone on this ATM so might be a little while before I make a start on that.

What you have to remember is that this is in a very early stage so it was never going to be 100% yet but you can see the potential of this OS and I think it could play a minor part in growing the bitcoin community, getting people on board and making it even easier and more secure to use bitcoin.

It recognized my 2 6990 cards and all 4 GPUs.  I didn't have to change anything except for untaring the license file.  I'm still trying to get persistence to work, and then I would ditch all of my hard disks that I had been using.

I'm still working on this issue. Sorry been trying to get a base together and settle on a Windows Environment for LinuxCoin. I promise this will work in the next version.

I would love to see PXE support on this. I downloaded .1a and couldn't get it working (UNetBootin kept saying the kernel image was missing or corrupt) but I'll try .1b now. Hoping this ends up being great, seems to have so much potential.

Does this support multiple GPUs out of the box, or will I need to do some CLI config? I'm not ignorant when it comes to Linux in general but I am currently ignorant about mining with Linux, so patience is appreciated. Wink

Thanks for your efforts!
Wow great stuff dude Shocked

Can it booted from PXE?
Because I think it would be great, so all we need is just setup one master server that holds entire worker nodes. It would be easier to scale up this cluster easily. Wink

Just as for real case, someone made custom distro for Folding@home and have it booted with PXE --> http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/diskless.html

Yes this ISO can easily be added to a PXE server Cheesy

Thanks for all the feedback people. Your all helping me make LinuxCoin uber Cheesy
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 11:17:40 PM

Great work !
But cannot make persistance.
Any tips ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:34:53 AM

I just checked persistence and it works fine ? Are you formatting your USB drives using the instructions in the link and using the -L casper-rw flag ? Easiest way to do this (if your using windows and dont have linux installed) is to burn linuxcoin to a disk. split your USB drive into two partitions. make sure the primary partition is larger than the size of the ISO. Install linuxcoin to the first partition and boot into linuxcoin.

Next load up a shell in linux coin and determine what linuxcoin has listed your flash drive as.

Code:
dmesg | grep sd

NOTE: If you only have one hdd installed this will normally be /dev/sdb

Now lets create some swap space. Type this into xterm..

Code:
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sd*2

* = device number

Reboot and your changes will save from now on.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 04:52:00 AM

I just checked persistence and it works fine ? Are you formatting your USB drives using the instructions in the link and using the -L casper-rw flag ? Easiest way to do this (if your using windows and dont have linux installed) is to burn linuxcoin to a disk. split your USB drive into two partitions. make sure the primary partition is larger than the size of the ISO. Install linuxcoin to the first partition and boot into linuxcoin.

Next load up a shell in linux coin and determine what linuxcoin has listed your flash drive as.

Code:
dmesg | grep sd

Code:

* = device number

actually, there's something worth trying here...

the latest version of Unetbootin has a little bit of new functionality.  if you burn the USB version of LinuxCoin using it, you have a checkbox option which reads:  "Space used to preserve files across reboots (Ubuntu only)"  followed by a size box that lets you set the MB of space you want to set aside on your USB drive for file storage.

i don't use Ubuntu - i use the Mint re-spin of Debian testing - but it works ok on that.  it'll probably work on any Debian derivative (like Ubuntu).

i dunno about an actual swap drive - haven't tried that yet...
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 06:13:24 AM

Code:
dmesg | grep sd

Code:

* = device number

Many thanks for the tips, now persistance is working fine on 2nd. partition.
What I couldn´t find is how to link linuxcoin init script with the persistent partition.
I mean, how do I change the rc.local script and make it persistent.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 06:33:38 PM

Thanks guys, persistance is working ok now.

F.A. Hayek

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:40:14 PM

If I wanted to use this with slushes pool how would I do that?
Current-C

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:52:52 PM

I really like this and got the interface working on my new mining rig, however as a total linux noob I have no idea how to run the miners on linux.  I've been able to get poclbm guiminer to work on my windows machine but I'm wondering if there is a linux version of guiminer (or something like it) out there for this?  I'd love to run my rig sans windows but I'm hopelessly non-technical.   Tongue
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 01:16:38 AM

if i were british, i'd set up the keyboard that way too...  and everybody doesn't use DHCP - it's better to have to look at your own network settings.

as for SDK 2.4 vs. 2.1 - 2.4 is becoming required:  for the 6xxx AMDs, and for compatibility with OpenCL.so.1.  the latest (and potentially greatest) miner (Hashkill) doesn't even support 2.1 at all - and on my 5xxx's it's faster.  software moves on, y'know.

there's a link to configuring screen resolution.

all in all, for a beta-ish release, i find it *quite* good.

If you were in the US, you wouldn't set it up like that. So what is your point?  Alienate a large part of your potential market for giggles?  Meh.

2.1, 2.4... whichever there.  The dominate version right now is 2.1, so supporting the "nonstandard" version seems kind of silly as well.

Software does move on, but if you want wide acceptance, doing things that alienate the majority of your target audience is not the way to achieve that.

As far as DHCP goes, no, not everyone uses it.  But your chain of logic is exceptionally faulty.  If you don't use it, then DHCP will do nothing for you and you'll still have to set up your IP config manually.  If you do use it, you won't have to configure it.  Whereas if you have it turned off, you have to configure it regardless.  It makes absolutely no sense to have DHCP disabled by default. 

There is nothing compelling in this to get me to use it.  Maybe I'm atypical, maybe not.  It's just my opinion on the subject, and with the drawbacks I noted, setting it up for my rigs actually takes longer than a quick Ubuntu install from scratch.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 01:31:31 AM

if i were british, i'd set up the keyboard that way too...  and everybody doesn't use DHCP - it's better to have to look at your own network settings.

as for SDK 2.4 vs. 2.1 - 2.4 is becoming required:  for the 6xxx AMDs, and for compatibility with OpenCL.so.1.  the latest (and potentially greatest) miner (Hashkill) doesn't even support 2.1 at all - and on my 5xxx's it's faster.  software moves on, y'know.

there's a link to configuring screen resolution.

all in all, for a beta-ish release, i find it *quite* good.

If you were in the US, you wouldn't set it up like that. So what is your point?  Alienate a large part of your potential market for giggles?  Meh.

2.1, 2.4... whichever there.  The dominate version right now is 2.1, so supporting the "nonstandard" version seems kind of silly as well.

Software does move on, but if you want wide acceptance, doing things that alienate the majority of your target audience is not the way to achieve that.

As far as DHCP goes, no, not everyone uses it.  But your chain of logic is exceptionally faulty.  If you don't use it, then DHCP will do nothing for you and you'll still have to set up your IP config manually.  If you do use it, you won't have to configure it.  Whereas if you have it turned off, you have to configure it regardless.  It makes absolutely no sense to have DHCP disabled by default.  

There is nothing compelling in this to get me to use it.  Maybe I'm atypical, maybe not.  It's just my opinion on the subject, and with the drawbacks I noted, setting it up for my rigs actually takes longer than a quick Ubuntu install from scratch.

well don't use it then Cheesy I might be wrong but I think dhclient is installed ? if not DHCP can be installed via apt-get and will remain if you are using persistence.

Well I'm not in the US I live in the UK and again there is a package manager just for things like this.

For a few MH's I think I'll stick with 2.4 for compatibility. The facts are that 2.4 supports every GPGPU on the market and 2.1 doesn't. I think v2.4 would appeal more to the average miner because it works if you have a 5830 or a 6990 simple as. But people are welcome to install version 2.1 if they so please its only a five min job.

I've setup a wiki, forum etc for linuxcoin and 0.1a was really to test the water. The next version has all the problems you so kindly pointed out fixed and also included is a nice GUI for people to click and mine on the desktop plus lots of other appealing extras to keep even the most picky person happy Wink

Stick with me guys I am working alone and have other commitments etc Cheesy Plus I'm trying to mine enough coins to pay for the URL Wink

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 01:34:41 AM

Stick with me guys I am working alone and have other commitments etc Cheesy Plus I'm trying to mine enough coins to pay for the URL Wink

Please continue doing such a nice work, thanks for your effort (some btc on the way).

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:07:14 AM

Please continue doing such a nice work, thanks for your effort (some btc on the way).

Thanks bud !! The next version is coming along nicely Cheesy Very low ram usage and lots of features plus I'm now working on the mining GUI. Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: