Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:05:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285064 times)
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:09:25 AM

Stick with me guys I am working alone and have other commitments etc Cheesy Plus I'm trying to mine enough coins to pay for the URL Wink

Please continue doing such a nice work, thanks for your effort (some btc on the way).

Thanks bud !! The next version is coming along nicely Cheesy Very low ram usage and lots of features plus I'm now working on the mining GUI. Cheesy

Pls don´t skip AMDOverdrivectl, very important tool.  ;-)

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:06:48 AM

When will can we expect new version?
Any date to mention?
EpicBacon

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:31:31 AM

Linux noob here.

How do i run the miners?
Internet151

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 06:57:43 AM

Is there any way to get DHCP enabled in the current USB version of linuxcoin? I'm completely new to linux and I have no idea what i'm doing here or how to get this working.
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:28:42 AM

Stick with me guys I am working alone and have other commitments etc Cheesy Plus I'm trying to mine enough coins to pay for the URL Wink

Please continue doing such a nice work, thanks for your effort (some btc on the way).

Thanks bud !! The next version is coming along nicely Cheesy Very low ram usage and lots of features plus I'm now working on the mining GUI. Cheesy

Pls don´t skip AMDOverdrivectl, very important tool.  ;-)

Already included Cheesy

When will can we expect new version?
Any date to mention?

Not timescale ATM. The core is in place just some loose ends to tie up nut dude a mans gota get laid sometimes hehehe Cheesy

Linux noob here.

How do i run the miners?

There#s plenty of posts explaining things here. I would suggest you choose a miner from /opt/miners and have a look at there thread here.

Is there any way to get DHCP enabled in the current USB version of linuxcoin? I'm completely new to linux and I have no idea what i'm doing here or how to get this working.

I'll put a little how to in a mo Wink
Xymurgy

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:48:57 PM

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but does this require a 64-bit CPU?  The USB booter is telling me the kernel needs x86-64, while I have an i686 (P4 Northwood).
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:22:31 PM

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but does this require a 64-bit CPU?  The USB booter is telling me the kernel needs x86-64, while I have an i686 (P4 Northwood).

Yes sorry its 64bit only. I didn't think anyone would be running old machines like that anymore Cheesy I could add a 32bit kernel if people required this ?
Xymurgy

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:27:31 PM

I would love one.  I figured holding on to 10-year old hardware would eventually pay off, and I'm almost there!
greenlander

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 08:38:37 PM

Hello drgr33n,

This is really great stuff.  I installed it and got it running right away... I was generating bitcoins in about half an hour.  It was really easy.

I'm seeing a strange problem though: it seems like writes to my filesystem (on the USB stick) don't get committed.  For instance, I created script files to start off miner processes.  The files seem to have been written OK, but when I reboot the files are gone.

I tried running sync before rebooting but that didn't help.

My dongle doesn't have any kind of write-protect switch and writes just fine if I plug it into my windows box.

I'm not that much of a unix person... I'm probably doing something wrong being the nub I am.  If you have any ideas it might help.
nebiz

Activity: 87
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 09:30:56 PM

This utility has been a huge help, getting 169 Mhash on my old 5770 with linuxcoin.  I'm looking forward to sending you a few days of BTC for the +Mhash/s your build will afford me once I can overclock my dedicated miner with your build. 

When is your next release?

Cheers,
nebiz

tips: 1KY4hsybyqpTdxy8nSXh3KUKRi8jeGH8Jx
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:47:19 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 03:59:53 AM by drgr33n

DHCP is enabled ? try using the wicd network mananager

start -> programs -> network -> monitoring -> WICD

then click the icon in the bottom right screen and connect.

Hello drgr33n,

This is really great stuff.  I installed it and got it running right away... I was generating bitcoins in about half an hour.  It was really easy.

I'm seeing a strange problem though: it seems like writes to my filesystem (on the USB stick) don't get committed.  For instance, I created script files to start off miner processes.  The files seem to have been written OK, but when I reboot the files are gone.

My dongle doesn't have any kind of write-protect switch and writes just fine if I plug it into my windows box.

I'm not that much of a unix person... I'm probably doing something wrong being the nub I am.  If you have any ideas it might help.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.msg113610#msg113610

This utility has been a huge help, getting 169 Mhash on my old 5770 with linuxcoin.  I'm looking forward to sending you a few days of BTC for the +Mhash/s your build will afford me once I can overclock my dedicated miner with your build.  

Cheers,
nebiz

excellent news !! The next release is in the oven and getting close Cheesy Just polishing a few things. I was going to code a little GUI for mining but I think I'll just include a bash script for now. Still pretty simple just follow the instructions. Sort of got a logo and everything sorted !! In the process of buying the domains and we should have a wiki etc. I'll try and put as much as I can on there but would encourage users to sign up and add there own content.

I'm not going to put a timescale on things but I as things stand v0.2 is much better than v0.1 already so might just pack up and release what I've got for now to get you guys running with this while I take care of other things for a bit Wink
jasonk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:00:24 AM

I got the USB version to work.

How to I begin pool mining deebpit using phoenix?

Where do I put the script, and what script do I use?  Have a 5830.
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:50:03 PM

DHCP is enabled ? try using the wicd network mananager

start -> programs -> network -> monitoring -> WICD

then click the icon in the bottom right screen and connect.

Hello drgr33n,

This is really great stuff.  I installed it and got it running right away... I was generating bitcoins in about half an hour.  It was really easy.

I'm seeing a strange problem though: it seems like writes to my filesystem (on the USB stick) don't get committed.  For instance, I created script files to start off miner processes.  The files seem to have been written OK, but when I reboot the files are gone.

I'm not that much of a unix person... I'm probably doing something wrong being the nub I am.  If you have any ideas it might help.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.msg113610#msg113610

This utility has been a huge help, getting 169 Mhash on my old 5770 with linuxcoin.  I'm looking forward to sending you a few days of BTC for the +Mhash/s your build will afford me once I can overclock my dedicated miner with your build.  

Cheers,
nebiz

excellent news !! The next release is in the oven and getting close Cheesy Just polishing a few things. I was going to code a little GUI for mining but I think I'll just include a bash script for now. Still pretty simple just follow the instructions. Sort of got a logo and everything sorted !! In the process of buying the domains and we should have a wiki etc. I'll try and put as much as I can on there but would encourage users to sign up and add there own content.

I'm not going to put a timescale on things but I as things stand v0.2 is much better than v0.1 already so might just pack up and release what I've got for now to get you guys running with this while I take care of other things for a bit Wink

my rig is in the mail right now ill be trying this out first as soon as i get it. im also a linux noob but i think my 6990's will preform better in linux. that why ill be trying linuxcoin. you got a great project going nice work.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

drgr33n, I'm wondering if you'd consider including the "phatk" phoenix kernel by default with the distro..here is the link:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7964.0

This kernel is optimized for 5870s and it add a nice bump in performance. Some linuxcoin users will definitely appreciate it if it was already found in the mining dir.

Just a suggestion..kind of one for lazy people :p but yeah none the less. Thanks!

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:24:08 PM

I got the USB version to work.

How to I begin pool mining deebpit using phoenix?

Where do I put the script, and what script do I use?  Have a 5830.

The miners are included in /opt/miners

If you do a quick search on here you will find the command you need to issue to start mining.

drgr33n, I'm wondering if you'd consider including the "phatk" phoenix kernel by default with the distro..here is the link:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7964.0

This kernel is optimized for 5870s and it add a nice bump in performance. Some linuxcoin users will definitely appreciate it if it was already found in the mining dir.

Just a suggestion..kind of one for lazy people :p but yeah none the less. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion this has already been added to v0.2 Wink
xanadu

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:56:49 PM

I have version v.01 up and running on 5 dedicated mining machines, I would love to give v.02 a try before I continue deploying.  I love the fact that I'm replacing expensive, noisy, electricity consuming hard drives with USB thumb drives and intend on converting my whole cluster over.

Time frame - are we talking days or weeks?  Smiley
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:30:28 AM

I have version v.01 up and running on 5 dedicated mining machines, I would love to give v.02 a try before I continue deploying.  I love the fact that I'm replacing expensive, noisy, electricity consuming hard drives with USB thumb drives and intend on converting my whole cluster over.

Time frame - are we talking days or weeks?  Smiley

Nice Wink I'm not going to put a timescale on things but very soon. It won't be the final version but its a improvement on the last version and makes things a lot easier for the average user.

CD-RW

Activity: 56
Merit: 22

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:36:46 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2011, 01:31:08 PM by Jeroenz0r

May I create these ISO's into torrents and post them on the pirate bay so we have a quicker and more robust download?
If you are ok with it and don't mind, could you post a small description? Smiley

I was thinking about;
NAME: LinuxCoin, a lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.
INFO: LinuxCoin is a small Debian based live OS targeted at Bitcoin miners & regular users. LinuxCoin installs onto flash media and allows you to take your wallet where ever you go. http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:07:18 PM

He hasn't released stable version so far. Its only in beta.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 04:01:27 PM

May I create these ISO's into torrents and post them on the pirate bay so we have a quicker and more robust download?
If you are ok with it and don't mind, could you post a small description? Smiley

I was thinking about;
NAME: LinuxCoin, a lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.
INFO: LinuxCoin is a small Debian based live OS targeted at Bitcoin miners & regular users. LinuxCoin installs onto flash media and allows you to take your wallet where ever you go. http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374

I for one would gladly seed this. But I think it's a good idea to wait until he releases a stable version before we mass propagate this via torrent.

Just my 2 bitcoins worth...

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: